Kenworth vs. BMW - Guardian angels

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by HellSickle, Sep 25, 2018.

1. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl ignore list Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, it's crazy what our bodies can endure.....and considering a womans body in this case. Capable of growing and caring for a human, and also can get hit by a huge truck and just keep moving. Incredible! Props to your attitude @PrairieRider !
    Mouse likes this.
  2. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    I learned a new phrase with our counselor yesterday: Post Traumatic Growth. It doesn't sell books like PTSD does, but it's very real and very powerful.

I recently read James Comey's book. There is a great example of PTG in his life story. He talks about losing a baby due to a very preventable infection. Rather than letting this tragedy define them, his wife went on a crusade to prevent other people from going thru this tragedy. As a result, testing pregnant women for a specific bacteria is now mandatory nation wide. This has resulted in saving thousands of babies.

I don't think we will be crusading on this cause, but it does make me realize some of the benefits of a near death experience like this. We will emerge stronger and better people for it.
    rokon140 and HardWorkingDog like this.
  3. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl ignore list Supporter

Oddometer:
    My best friend just had his first child...his wife labored for 30+hours....then was rushed into surgery for an Emergency C-section. My buddy is an RN so was able to know what was happening , he told me that first his son almost died, then after they stabilized his sons vitals, he almost lost his wife. I saw them the other day with a 6 day old healthy baby....her face looks totally different and she is in process of seeking therapy for that very thing. Thanks for sharing.....its a very good lesson
  4. Zekester

Zekester Liquid Hot Magma Core

Oddometer:
    Being in labor for 30+ hours caused changes in how her face looks? Permanently?

How much change? I’ve never heard of this.
  5. ejm4

ejm4 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any update on the court proceedings?
  6. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bump.
  7. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Recovery is going well. The right arm is still having issues. I'm told we won't even start talking settlement until most of the injuries are about as good as they are going to get.

Insurance totaled out the bike and a newer one is sitting in the garage awaiting the box of farkles that was pulled off the old bike.
    ejm4 and greasyboy like this.
  8. ejm4

Oddometer:
    What happened in court with the truck driver?
  9. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    We didn't attend the criminal hearing in December, but we've been told that all charges were dismissed. We heard that they showed the school bus dash cam, demonstrating that from the time he saw the bus he only had about 3 seconds to react. Apparently, they neglected to mention the school bus warning sign .2 miles earlier. In addition, we heard that the state put up additional warning signs after the accident.

While this seems to be a travesty, 2 things should be noted. First, the civil penalties are completely decoupled from the Criminal penalties. OJ Simpson is a good example. Our attorney told us that even if the driver was convicted in court, there was no way they could use the conviction in civil court. Secondly, I recognize the the DA has to pick cases that he can most certainly win. With the driver being a local, I feel the Good 'ol Boy network might have also been in play.

He did have $1M liability insurance. Our attorney is just sitting & waiting for injuries to resolve. We have up to 3 years from the date of the accident. We just passed the 6 month milestone. I would expect a full year before we start discussing settlements.

It's still TBD if they intend to place all blame on the state for a bad school bus location. If they do, the state has $100k liability limits. Given that the stop was marked, I think the best they can hope for is shared liability to reduce their burden. They'll have to calculate if the additional attorney fees would be offset by a state payment.

I'm fortunate to have good health insurance and bike insurance and a wife that still has both arms and legs and no brain or spinal injuries. Her shiny new bike is sitting in the garage. $$ are the least of our worries.
    :clap
  10. ejm4

Oddometer:
    I think most people do not take this into factor when shopping for insurance and just want a cheap price compared to a policy that will protect them in the event they need to utilize it.

KneeDrachen likes this.