Kettle Valley Railway

Discussion in 'Canada' started by jrw600, Feb 12, 2021.

1. jrw600

jrw600 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am planning, depending on Covid of course, to do some exploring in the interior this summer. I am trying to find an up to date resource on the ability to ride on sections of the Kettle Valley Railway on my VX300. If any sections are open to motorized use. Any and all hints and tips would be appreciated. I do plan on picking up the BC Backroads book for the region.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. kirbybikes

kirbybikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    I did a photo book a few years ago. Being from Alberta I only get to visit on occasion so for me recent is relative. Only BC locals can give you really up to date info.

https://www.blurb.ca/b/8536600-kettle-valley-and-columbia-western-railways

You can fully preview without buying. History, fairly recent pictures and information.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/klr-on-the-kvr-june-2010-more.595530/page-9#post-38065281

I've done many sections over the last decade but more and more is being gentrified (paved for the baby carriages and high end pedal bikes and off limits to anything larger or motorized). With a bit of flexibility you will still be able to see some impressive areas and have a picture worthy trip.

https://kvradventures.blogspot.com/?m=1

This is an amazing resource to go through.
    ACR and jrw600 like this.
  4. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a nice ride if you haven't done it before, Castlegar to Christina Lake is fun and interesting, after that I found most of it just OK if your looking for challenging riding you wont find it there, but the scenery is great. The route got a little confusing on the Okanogan side before Chute Lake IIRC where the trail is non motorized for a portion this is where we quit but there is a back road around the closed section which we didn't know about, maybe someone else can be more specific but I would figure that out before you went. A more fun option from Greenwood is syau left about a km up the Jewel lake road to the Christion valley road then to from 33 to Conkle lake, at Conkle lake stay right and take the deactivated road to Vener Meadows road onto Okanogan falls. We did a loop back from Beaverdale on the KVR also the Conkle lake deactivated road was more fun
    Lycan1 and jrw600 like this.
  5. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    First 2 are from the deactivated road the last is KVR somewhere between Beaverdale and Kelowna IMG_20200604_104532.jpg IMG_20200604_105025.jpg IMG_20200604_131804.jpg
    Lycan1 and jrw600 like this.
  6. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    the KVR south of Beaverdale was blocked - last time i went down through there - partially blocked with a "private property" sign.
    the area west of Summerland is verboten, as well - for the first few km's.
    a no-go on the trestles close to Kelowna.
    gpfan and jrw600 like this.
  7. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. 62 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like a good relaxing ride with some creek xing .:yikes It is listed as owned by the "Kettle Valley Historical Society" . No access restrictions . But there are always individuals out tearing up things and riling up the local land owners . I guess if travelling through best to have a pair of fencing pliers and leave things as you find them . There may be livestock in the area .
  8. Tropic-Of-Canada

Tropic-Of-Canada Guru of Shoe Goo

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to doing this one solo very soon here! Based on what I've seen, some of it is a bit of a bush wack. Is it pretty straight forward navigation?
  9. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's pretty easy the only place we got screwed up is when we got near Kelowna around some of the closed areas. The rail trail isn't to exciting unless thats what your going there for I would go from OK falls over the Vener meadows road to the deactivated road to Conkle lake and Christian Valley