Key West in July

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Barmtbr, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Barmtbr

Barmtbr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any feedback on travelling down to Key West in July, as far as heat goes? We're a couple of Canadians travelling to Myrtle Beach, from Toronto, for a wedding. After that, I am planing (thinking) on heading straight south to the tip. We'll leave the tent at home for this trip.
    I've done the Blue Ridge many times (not in July) and have ridden the coast up through Maine and around Cape Breton. So were looking for a new destination. We have also ridden though Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota in July so we have felt some heat.
    Are the views/sights worth putting up with a few weeks of heat?
  2. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    It's about as different from Canada as you can get, I'd imagine, so it's always worth it to see new things. It will probably also be really humid. You'll sweat A LOT, so carry lots of water/sports drink. Sunscreen too, if you plan do be exposed.

The road down is straight, and may have lots of traffic. I don't know if lane splitting is legal in Florida, or if there is even room to do so on that road. Once there, you can ride around the island, and out to the monument at the southern most point. For the most part, it's a park and walk around type of place. Good seafood, cold drinks, and of course the best desert in the world...frozen chocolate covered Key lime pie on a stick!

[​IMG]

Maybe try snorkeling while you're there?

[​IMG]

Or offshore fishing?

[​IMG]
    Barnaby'sDad and Barmtbr like this.
  3. Eyes Shut

Eyes Shut See no evil Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The highway through the Keys is beautiful -- but I personally would never motorcycle to Key West in July! The heat, the humidity, the crowds...meanwhile, you are trying to get through traffic while wearing your gear and navigating in a strange city...

Key West is fine for walking around once you get off the bike. But you have to get there on the bike first.

If you are as far south as Myrtle Beach, maybe you should consider checking out the various islands around Savannah and Charleston instead?
    tjzondrz, Barmtbr and drumdog like this.
  4. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Personally, I'd ride down wearing nothing but a speedo and a 1/4-inch thick layer of sunscreen.

[​IMG]
    Barnaby'sDad and Barmtbr like this.
  5. GarryPrater

GarryPrater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Being near the water mitigates the heat some. Be very careful of sunburn though. Not quite as crowded or crazy with snowbirds in the summer. But lots of people from southern states vacation there in the summer for the fishing and diving.
    Barmtbr likes this.
  6. Toddv

Toddv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was there in August and it was nice, the crowds are light and it's easier to find bookings. We were actually there when the big hurricane was parked on the Bahamas so the crowds were really light. Anyhow, the weather is predictable in FL as far as temps so just decide if the temps are doable for you or not. Also make SURE you plan a snorkeling trip out on the reef, it's about 7 miles out, or even plan that part of the trip in Key Largo where the reef is even healthier. It was the highlight of our trip.
    Barmtbr likes this.
  7. Barmtbr

Barmtbr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks for the replies.
  8. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
    50% of Marriages end in divorce.
    So if you're willing to accept those odds and make the trip, it's a no brainer to continue on to Key West just in case so you'll have fond memories.
    Barmtbr likes this.
  9. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Keys in July will be smoking hot, but still enjoyable. I rode there from Tampa in July and it was hot and humid.

Still, dress for the weather and you’ll be fine. Lots to do and see. Have fun.
    Barmtbr likes this.
  10. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I paid a bunch to be taken out where the water is suitable for snorkling and still couldn't see enough to bother. Between the traffic getting there and the high cost to stay in the Keys, it's not my choice of FL places, especially to ride 100 miles plus out there. I'm a Mexico fan though, so far, far from a Key West fan. I guess if you like crowds & traffic it's your kind of place? The only truly Caribbean snorkling waters there are mostly found out near the national park via a boat ride-Dry Tortugas NP.
    Yes it's hot in all of FL in July.
  11. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I lived in the Keys for 3 years (Marathon). It's actually quite nice in the summer. The constant breeze means that it doesn't get hot compared to places inland. I never had an issue with the temperatures in the summer. Now 63 degrees in January...the tourists used to look at me funny when I was wearing a heavy coat:D
    Barmtbr likes this.
  12. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    rd400racer and dandiego have a realistic perspective . If it is so "unbearable " then why on earth would there be so many crowds ?
    Go ,
    But dress approriately not all geared up in black airtight armorplated buttoned and zippered to the max with heavy sweaty boots and mitts .
    MESH jacket ,lose and light as possible .
    Have a pleasant ride .( and stay away from the trophy fishing thing it is just another macho fad ,poor fishies just wanna have fun too y'know and they are getting scarce because of the fad , )
    Barmtbr likes this.
  13. Toddv

Toddv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Our snorkeling trip was wildly different, I could have stayed out all day. The variety and Cole of fish was amazing. Even spotted a 4 foot barracuda and an octopus. Maybe our boat took us to a better spot. Everything I read said the barrier reef was much better than out at the Dry Tortuga's.
  14. Sandspit

Sandspit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So it sounds like you can run the interstates if you are riding to Myrtle Beach. first, Myrtle beach in July is a tourist nightmare, so crowded and actual hotter than the Keys. The keys will not feel any different than Myrtle bch. It is a hot short ride down HWY 17 to Charleston which is even hotter than Keys and Myrtle bch. due to the concrete jungle, Basically 92-94f with heat index in the 105f's from S. Carolina all the way down. Is it worth it? I guess if you have not been...HWY 17 out of Charleston to I-95 is nice you get LowCountry views. I'll skip GA. and N. FL sites and just say I-95 will be the road to make the miles. I would get off I-95 around W. Palm bch and ride A1A as it goes by nice ocean colors and really nice houses, beach parks, etc, great ride (BTW all of this is straight roads), leave A1A around Delray bch and ride Interstate to Keys (unless you want to see Miami - S. Bch, very crowded!!!)....The Keys, really cool the first trip, the ride from the Upper keys to Key West is really nice, Water on both sides, bridges, nice water color, etc...avoid the weekends if possible. Your trip will be a really long ride! Also check the Launch schedule you may catch a Rocket Launch from Cape Canaveral, they launch about once a month. If you need more info , let me know...
  15. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got married in Key West with nearly 80 of our close friends and family - July 7, 2001. It was over 100 degrees there most of the week. That was a bit tough on Grandma.
    Barmtbr likes this.
  16. GarryPrater

GarryPrater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got acquainted with a cute girl in Key West in 1985 but she was with someone else at the time. She was from Maine and I was cruising in my sailboat Rosebud so no chance to connect.
    By dumb luck, sheer chance, I met her again about 6 months later. As I was exiting a store on Duval St. she was walking past. Too much history to go into now, but right now she's in the kitchen fixing supper.
    Best Key West souvenir ever.
  17. Barmtbr

Barmtbr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome thanks, wedding is actually on the coast but somewhere a little North of Myrtle.
    Sandspit likes this.
  18. Sandspit

Sandspit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^ Cherry Grove? up by the little inlet (Hog Inlet). I have family in N. Myrtle Bch and Cherry Grove...know the area well. You will be frustrated by all the tourist riding golf carts on N. Ocean blvd. My sis' has 3 multi family Ocean Front beach homes that are luxury rentals; 1 in Little River and 2 in N. Myrtle Beach if you need a place to stay. Maybe I can work out a ADV discount.. Here is a listing for one... https://www.northmyrtlebeachtravel.com/vacation-houses/my-three-suns
    Ocean front, Sleeps 36, 8 bedrooms 8.5 baths, elevator, pool, spa etc.
  19. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't worry too much about the heat, although it's definitely a HOT heat. :D It's amazing how the human body can adjust to different temperature environments, and do it fairly rapidly.
    A few years ago I had flown down from Alaska to Augusta, GA where I had stored a bike with friends. On July 5th I was heading for Key West in order to do an Iron Butt UCC (Key West, FL to Prudhoe Bay, AK - or reverse - in 30 days or less). It was hot and humid, especially compared to where I was coming from. But other than being a bit uncomfortable it wasn't a problem. I got a motel room at Marathon Key westbound, then on down to Key West, got all my photos and witness signatures, then headed back north. Took it easy enough to enjoy the scenery along the way and had an enjoyable trip despite the hot summer weather.
    For someone from up north, the run out the Keys is going to seem hot no matter when you do it, so don't worry about it... just do it. :nod
    longwaypyder and Barmtbr like this.
  20. Barmtbr

Barmtbr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks...we're going, I have Alaska in the books for 2021.