Kim and Mike's Most Excellent 2007 Trans Labrador Highway Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ride2ADV, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If we haven't been there, it's on the list.
    Well, we are off and ridin'. We left Hudson, NH Saturday afternoon later than planned. We had to make an unplanned stop in Laconia, NH (more on that later).

We're heading from aforementioned Hudson, north through Quebec, to Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Labrador via the Trans Labrador Highway, then ferry to Cartwright down to L'Anse Au Loup, then ferry to Newfoundland, then down the western coast to Port Aux Basques, then ferry to Nova Scotia then south zig zaggin' to Pleasant Bay, Charlos Cove, Lunenberg, Brier Island and finally Yarmouth.

Here's a Google Earth of the Route (although Manic 5 is in the wrong place, its far more to the North).

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of Kim and our machines getting ready to head out. See how nice and clean they look? They won't for long... Neither the machines or Kim. :evil :rofl

[​IMG]

We'll post pics and ride reports as we go during the 3 weeks, but we have one problem. My PC power supply failed. Failed as in failed to jump into my pannier. So I don't know how long I can keep posting. So I'll do my best until I hit power interruptus.

BTW, the first stop in Laconia was to Lakes Region Hospital due to Kim's dad (Dick) falling off his bike and breaking his tib/fib. He had to do the surgery thing. Although it may not seem that remarkable, it is somewhat in that the guy is 76 years old. So if you have a couple of mins, drop him a line at dickp@aol.com and let him know that he's a pretty cool dude. He'd dig that.

Thanks!

Pictures soon.
  2. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    After the visit to Kim's dad, Dick. See, it hasn't started raining yet. That's Kim's sister Kami. She's a doc. A damn fine one too.

[​IMG]

See, it hasn't started raining yet. Did I mention that whenever we go to Canada it always rains? Stay tuned.

[​IMG]
    slime likes this.
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A great and rugged loop indeed! Too bad about your PC's power supply.. keep us posted anyway you can and take lots of pics and post when you get back :deal

:lurk
  4. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    It's looking a bit more threating.... more and better pics later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    slime likes this.
  5. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    It's clearing up and looking good!

[​IMG]
    slime likes this.
  6. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice pics Mike, I've driven through Magog many times rambling back and forth from the mainland. Good luck with the ferry and the rain–you can always loop back and spend your whole three weeks on the Island? I know, kinda defeats the purpose.:ricky
  7. Coolhand

Coolhand Puck slapping maplesucker

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  8. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    Well I'm back on line with more pics from the Atlantic Canada loop. My failed power supply is no longer an issue. So let's start off with a scary pic...

Eww... what's that you say? No it's not the return of the Jedi O-BE-GONE, its me showing off my farkeled KTM 950 Adventure...

[​IMG]
    slime likes this.
  9. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    We have now made it into Baie Comeau.

[​IMG]
  10. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    Heading towards the ferry on Route 138.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    slime likes this.
  11. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    We hit a bit of a traffic jam waiting for this ferry, but everyone was patient and there were no worries. Just folks waiting their turns and chilling. We chatted with a few people about bikes and travel. Funny about motorcycles, they have a way of making people act like human beings...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's the ferry!

[​IMG]
    slime likes this.
  12. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    BTW, when you are in Northern Quebec, try to track and catch the mysterious and elusive northern Quebec flying moose. Here's a pic of one breaking cover. Seeing one is one thing, catching one is quite another. :lol3 :lol3

[​IMG]
    slime likes this.
  13. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    Here's a view from the ferry... and this is just to get to the other side of Route 138.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    slime likes this.
  14. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    Now we've finally made it to some less populated areas. Here we've stopped at Manic 2, the second of Quebec Hydro's hydroelectric dams in the area.

[​IMG]
    slime likes this.
  15. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    Here's a pic of the dam itself... pretty cool huh? Wait till you see Manic 5.

[​IMG]
    slime likes this.
  16. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might find it easier if you uploaded your pics to a photo hosing site and then linked your report to the pics, so you don't have to upload each picture individually. And if you get a smugmug.com account, you support the operation of this site! :thumb

Keep those pics coming! :lurk
  17. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    Here are three photos of the dam merged into one. Pretty cool huh?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    slime likes this.
  18. Dave Noel

Dave Noel Giv'er

Oddometer:
    :1drink:lurk
  19. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did, and it works really well-use the coupon in my signature if you like:D
    Keep up the pics!:ricky
    slime likes this.
  20. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    We made it into Happy Valley Goose Bay yesterday afternoon. Lots of rain and at times sunshine. Go figure. Anyway, thanks for the advice, am online and have a smugmug account. Now let's see if this thing will work. Also, I have to thank my friends at Ride the Rock.com. There are no better people around and they have great info on the area. So thanks Dave and Skibum!!!

So here are some more pics, and hopefully I have figured out smugmug. If not, please bare with me.

We arrived at Manic 5 and took a few pics at the front. It is a VERY impressive structure...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We arrived early enough in the day to take the tour, but unfortunately, tours start 24 June so we were a few days early, sorry. No pics of the inside of the dam for you all. It was a bit late to continue the ride for the day and start the gravel so we called it a day and headed for the Energy Motel.

When we got up in the morning it was in full rain mode. Here's what the Energy Motel looks like. Not much to look at, but it was warm and dry the folks were nice and there was food.

[​IMG]

So as we started off, we got to the top of Manic 5. Here's a pic of Manic 5 from the top.

[​IMG]