Kim & Mike's Most Excellent Planet Ramble

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ride2ADV, Jun 5, 2016.

1. limeymike

limeymike Who Me?

Oddometer:
    Great RR, thanks for sharing. Any issues with the sleds exhaust blowing on the side case?

[​IMG]
  2. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers

Oddometer:
    If we haven't been there, it's on the list.
    On an overcast morning we headed to the ferry terminal and got in line for the ferry to Denmark.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was not a long ride so we distracted ourselves looking around below deck. We found some sings showing how to tie down your bike...

[​IMG]

But there were no tie downs to be found anywhere. That was OK since the sea was very flat and the ride pretty short. We did find one sign
    that puzzled us a bit...

[​IMG]

It's funny how a tiny mark can make a difference! :lol3

Once off the ferry, we rode to an apartment we had rented in Hellerup. It was in a nice little neighborhood on the second floor with a small balcony. Narrow streets with trees surrounded us and the homes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We left with almost new bikes and by the time we arrived in Denmark, it was time to have some work done to the bikes, Kim's 7,500 mile service was due and I needed new rubber on both ends of my machine. I had earlier spoken with Tommy at Ducati Copenhagen in Soborg and told him what we needed. He said he was alone at the time, but that he would check to see if he could fit us in and get the tires I wanted ordered in time for our arrival. We made the appointment and arrived on time.

We went to the front door and it was locked. I knocked on the door and there was no response. Crap, I thought we might be out of luck. Kim suggested that we go around back and see what we could find. As we rolled around back, I found a roll up door open and as I approached, a man came outside and greeted us. It was Tommy and he immediately invited us inside and shook our hands. In a corner, sat my tires and I knew that things were going to go well.

Tommy was indeed alone at the dealership as both of his business partners were on vacation. So he was in charge of sales, parts and service! Nonetheless, he was ready for us and got right to work.

[​IMG]
    (sorry Tommy, this is the only pic I took of you)

While Tommy worked, we chatted and I stood around doing mostly nothing...

[​IMG]

Until lunch time. At that point, Tommy asked us if we were hungry and wanted to go for lunch. We agreed and Tommy led us upstairs where there was a small cafeteria. The food was delicious and when it was time to pay, Tommy refused to let us pay and paid the bill for us!!! Talk about hospitality!

While Tommy was working, I took a few minutes to wander around the dealership. In the workshop stood a newly assembled Ducati 1299 Superleggera. It was gorgeous! Over 200 horses at a dry weight of 156 kg. Wow!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When Tommy had completed all the service it was time to pay the bill. I gave Tommy my credit card and wham, it was rejected. Tommy tried it again and once again... rejected! Now we were stuck. We only had a few Danish Kroner and the service cost was significant since the 7,500 mile service is a major service and I had ordered two new tires. I asked Tommy if he could accept other currencies and he called the dealership owner, told him of our situation and the owner said he would accept basically any currency we had.

Kim and I went through all our pockets looking for left over currency and came up with Swiss Francs, Euro, UK Pounds, Polish Zloty, and other currencies. Tommy took them all while doing all the conversions into Danish Kroner. By the time we had emptied our pockets, we were still a few hundred short but within ATM withdrawal limits. Leaving Kim at the dealership as a "hostage" I rode to an ATM in town, got the necessary funds and picked up my wife AND our bikes.

By the time service was completed and I had rescued my "hostage" :lol3 it was closing time. Without a moment's hesitation, Tommy asked us if we wanted to go for a ride with him to his home town for some dinner and a quick tour of some twisties. It didn't take any time for us to say yes and before we knew it, we were heading for some twisties with Tommy in the lead on his Monster.

[​IMG]

We stopped and got some pizza and during dinner Tommy asked if we'd like to meet his family. We said certainly and a short while later we had met Tommy's wife (Karina) and his children.

They led us on a tour of the waterfront in Roskilde where we walked by a spot where they were making Viking ships just as the Vikings did hundreds of years ago. No power tools whatsoever were being used!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We lazily walked along the waterfront taking in the sights...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and pleasantly used up the rest of the day. By the time we had toured the waterfront, chatted with Tommy and his family and gotten some ice cream, it was getting dark. So we jumped on the bikes and headed back to the apartment we had rented. We got there just as it was getting dark and settled in looking out over the town.

[​IMG]

The next morning it was overcast with on and off rain. Today we were heading for another ferry to take us west so that we could make our way to Germany.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It wasn't long before we were at the dock waiting for the ferry to arrive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a short ferry ride and soon we were back on the "mainland" of Denmark heading southwest. Our stop for the day was to be just outside Taulov at a hotel with a grass roof.

[​IMG]

It was there that I had my first chili pepper based beer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was quite good, smooth but with a hot pepper spicy flavor. Dinner was good if not gigantic...

[​IMG]

The next day was once again on and off rain. It was a bit dreary...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

but at least we were on some nice back roads. As the day grew later and we got further south, the weather started to lighten. We decided to make a brief stop at a rest area which was nice and green with peeks of sun coming through.

[​IMG]

By the end of the day, we had reached our hotel which was right on the Kiel Canal. Our room was at the back of the hotel overlooking the canal. As we looked out the windows, freighters and container ships slowly steamed by carrying their loads to their destinations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Behind the hotel there was a small park and we took some time to walk along the canal and enjoy the sights...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Until later!
    jwc and roadcapDen like this.
  3. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers

Oddometer:
    As long as you don't mind a little exhaust soot on the panniers there is no issue. I don't mind dirt/soot on the bike. If you check Kim's bike it even has a little exhaust diverter, but it really wasn't necessary. Glad your are enjoying the RR!
    limeymike likes this.
  4. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers

Oddometer:
    Our next stop was to be in Bremerhaven, Germany and once again we we found ourselves lining up for another ferry. It was once again raining on and off, as we got into line. There were many vehicles waiting on this single road to the dock.

[​IMG]

Including the Mercedes truck this family behind us was traveling in...

[​IMG]

Luckily, we didn't have to be anywhere at a particular time so we just chilled and waited for the ferry...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were warned it was probably best to wait until the ferry docked before proceeding...

[​IMG] :D

The ferries came and went with spectacular precision with one just docking as the other was moving away...

[​IMG]

Once under way the GPS still kept track of our travels...

[​IMG]

We did a fair amount of riding in the rain, so I did not take many pictures. We ended up at a Best Western right on the water...

[​IMG]

and even found a place to park the bikes under cover...

[​IMG]

Once we got to our room, we found it was better than we had anticipated. We got...

[​IMG]

Carte Blanche (complete freedom)

and our own

[​IMG]

Pom (potato) bears for company. :lol3

As the evening approached, the weather started to get better so we decided to go for a walk around the waterfront.

[​IMG]

There were ships and boats of many kinds in the harbor...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a good night's sleep, we loaded the bikes and headed for Emmen, Netherlands. But as we made our way out of the Bremerhaven, we found our planned path blocked by a road race so we stopped and had a look. It was pretty cool to see cars running on the city streets...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stayed a half hour or so and started our hit or miss departure from the city. Ultimately, we found our way out of the city and into... another ferry dock!

It was hot and a bit muggy, so we got off the bikes and stripped off our gear and waited.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By this time it was about 10:30 AM and this gentleman decided to walk over to our bikes and check them out...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess he was really thirsty since he had a tall boy can of beer!

The wait wasn't very long and soon we were back in our gear getting ready to board...

[​IMG]

We ended up being first on (and ultimately first off).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and before long, found ourselves in Emmen, Netherlands where we checked into a little boutique hotel...

[​IMG]

and were greeted by the owner who told us to park in the bicycle parking before it started to rain...

[​IMG]

We ended up parking not to far from his Rolls Royce...

[​IMG]

It was a great little boutique hotel with amazing food...

[​IMG]

Another nice thing was that it was within walking distance to Emmen's zoo. If you know Kim, you know she loves animals and where there is a good zoo, Kim will follow. We discussed it with the hotel owner, and he said it was excellent. From that point, I could tell that a trip to the zoo was going to happen.

When we walked to the zoo, the hotel owner's praise was well deserved. There were many kinds of animals, most not in cages and in areas that represented their natural habitats.

Where to now?

[​IMG]

The zoo was segmented into parts of the world where the animals would be found like this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once inside each area, there were many animals. So without going into the specifics, here are a few that we found inside...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (King Julien... on the case man! He likes to move it, move it!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all, it was a great little zoo and if you likes zoos and are in the area, check it out!

Until later!
  5. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers

Oddometer:
    Now it was time to go to Rotterdam. We planned to spend the night on a river barge in the city center and headed southwest. Some nice riding along the way...

[​IMG]

We passed through a few small towns with lots of wind turbines...

[​IMG]

and tree lined lanes...

[​IMG]

ending up riding through narrow brick paved streets...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we approached Rotterdam, we hit more traffic and larger towns...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Until we were in Rotterdam proper with lots of traffic...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I said earlier, we had made arrangements to stay the night on a converted river barge, but just before we arrived, the owner told us he wouldn't be around and someone would be there to help us with parking for the night and getting on board.

When we finally arrived at the barge, there was no-one around. I called the "friend" and he said he couldn't help but had unlocked the barge door and said he didn't know where we could securely park the bikes. I did find the barge but had another problem. The gangplank was very narrow

[​IMG]

and at the end of the gangplank there was a gap between the gangplank and barge itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On board the ship was a narrow ledge covered with sections of astroturf and no railing to the water about 10 feet below.

[​IMG]

One thing that has happened to us both as we have gotten older is a growing fear of heights. This was one of these situations. So I left our gear bags on the gangplank and stepped over the gap onto the ledge. It was narrower than I thought. I put one heel against the barge bulkhead and one towards the edge of the barge. I could fit one foot and 2/3rds of the other foot on the ledge.

[​IMG]

It turns out that the only way we could walk to the end of the barge with our waterproof bags where the crew quarters were was to walk sideways on the edge. That just wan't going to work for us. If there were a railing to hold on to as we walked to the crew quarters, we would have been fine. But under these circumstances, we decided to pass. Off to a hotel for the night then. I probably would have preferred to jump over some small fires than to walk the edge of the barge. I'm really beginning to hate heights! I'm turning into a wuss with age. :dirtdog

Tail between my legs we found an Ibis hotel and got on the road to catch the ferry to Hull, England.

[​IMG]

We ended up at the dock way early with absolutely no-one in line.

[​IMG]

But it was good to see that the ferry was docked and apparently awaiting our arrival.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as well as a bunch of TT containers.

[​IMG]

Since we had so much time, we decided to go for a walk and found a nice little pub to hang out in...

[​IMG]

Complete with an Isle of Man beer coaster...

[​IMG]

By the time it was ready to load, it was beginning to rain. We were directed only a fly over ramp and rode onto the ferry...

[​IMG]

Into the best ferry tie down facility we had ever seen...

[​IMG]

In between steel columns was a dedicated area separated from autos by two railings. On the floor were steel tie down rings and on the rails, clean tie down straps. In no time, we had the bikes secured.

[​IMG]

Once inside, we found the ship to be more like a cruise ship than a ferry. On two levels, there was a bar and a stage below...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well when in Rome...

[​IMG]

And when you were done drinking, you could go to the movies for a couple of bucks...

[​IMG]

Before we knew it, we were riding off the ferry and on to English soil.

[​IMG]

We lined up with the other "bikes" and easily got through customs.

[​IMG]

We were now in Hull, England and back on the left side of the road...

[​IMG]

The day started nice and cheery...

[​IMG]

But soon we would be back into England's famous rain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and it continued to rain until we reached our destination for the evening, Lumley Castle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Until later!
    roadcapDen, Don Flamenco and jwc like this.
  6. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know how I almost missed your fine report! Almost caught up! Those big birds nesting on the rooftops were probably storks. They bring good luck if they nest on your roof. And the cat that visited you in that beautiful house in Latvia.....was a girl kitty. Tortoiseshell coat (black, white, tan) are with very few exceptions...female. Ditto calicoes or other 3 color kitties. Or so says my vet. Did you notice how some of the rooflines on the old buildings resemble those you saw in some of the small villages in Switzerland? Looking forward to the next installment.
  7. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers

Oddometer:
    Thanks Blader54. We didn't know that about cats despite having lived with many over the years. It was amazing to see both the simularities and differences of the cultures throughout Europe. Glad you are enjoying the RR!
  8. Yenrichment

Yenrichment n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi there; amazing ride report; definitely inspired to go on an adventure like that!

Another inspiration gleaned from your RR is your racking system for the desert sled. I've picked up the givi PL7407 and hb Alurack for my sled as well but am having trouble fitting both on at the same time... Do I use the adaptor from givi or hb? Any other advice? TIA!
  9. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers

Oddometer:
    We arrived at the castle totally soaked and literally dripping wet. We went inside to register and apologized for leaving puddles on the floor. Leaping back in time a few hundred years was indeed interesting.

Original hand hewn stone floors lined the long hallways...

[​IMG]

Along with busts of previous residents?

[​IMG]

It did feel quite medieval in sections...

[​IMG]

Other sections looked more "modern" like this little reading area outside one of the small bars inside.

[​IMG]

Our room was pretty impressive considering it was "cheapish". After a walk down many hallways and up flights of stairs...

[​IMG]

We were shown to our room. Inside it was very dark. The high ceilings made it seem huge but the lighting was quite dim.

[​IMG]

Lots of dark wood, paintings and early photos...

[​IMG]

A closet for our sopping wet stiches...

[​IMG]

and a down comforter bed...

[​IMG]

The place definitely delivered on the old English castle feel. A bit soggy, we turned in for the night. Luckily for us the next morning dawned partly sunny and peeks of sun were to be had. We ventured outside for a look around the castle. It certainly felt like one...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kim was ready to call the place hers...

[​IMG]

Outside we found an unusual sundial where the time could be seen from all angles...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

when it was sunny...

Apparently there were private rooms for functions, but this one seemed a bit like a dungeon from the outside...

[​IMG]

We spent only one night at the castle because we were anxious to head north to Scotland. So we loaded up the bikes in the castle courtyard...

[​IMG]

and got back on the road. The ride to Edinburgh, Scotland was anticlimactic. Easy riding on motorways more traveled than I wanted for this trip. But once again the weather had turned iffy so we hightailed it into town and a chain hotel.

The views were not so exciting, but we were in a city and so far, everyone had been very pleasant.

[​IMG]

We parked the bikes in the hotel parking lot covering them from the on and off rain. On the way to the hotel, we had seen a motorcycle dealership and it was relatively close by. We were out of visor cleaning spray so we decided to walk to the dealership to see if we could find some.

Once inside we met the dealership manager David. He is the manager of Two Wheels Motorcycles (link). It's primarily a Honda dealer but he had plenty of machines from various manufacturers inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We chatted about where we had traveled and where we were headed. He asked us where we were staying and where our bikes were. We told him we were parked at the hotel and out of the blue he offered to store our bikes and gear at the dealership for free while we were in Edinburgh! It was an amazing and unbelievably kind offer so we took him up on it. We were planning staying for at least 2 - 3 days and having the bikes and all our gear secured was wonderful!

We did a fair amount of walking around Edingburgh. There was so much to see that we wanted to walk as much as possible and take it all in. We walked into the city center and the place was rocking!

[​IMG]

We had arrived during the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo. People were everywhere. The streets were crammed with people. The closer we got to Edinburg Castle, the more crowded and vibrant the scene became.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The vibe was a modern medieval if that is possible. The architecture was old but the vibe was modern. Street performers were everywhere...

Some you would expect...

[​IMG]

Others, not so much...

[​IMG]

Even a centaur or two...

[​IMG]

Since we were in Scotland, it would have been a crime not to sample some Scotch Whiskey. We didn't want to go to jail so we hightailed it to a whiskey distillery to do some tasting. I know, it's a tough life...

We ended up at the Scotch Whiskey Experience, not too far from Edinburgh Castle. Inside we'd find lots and lots of whiskey to try.

[​IMG]

...and this was a tiny fraction of all the whiskeys available.

-Until later!
    roadcapDen and Mudclod like this.
  10. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers

Oddometer:

Sorry for the delay in responding Yenrichment. The pannier mounting system was part Givi and part home made. We did have to make an adapter for one of the mounts near the right footpeg. Basically we added a piece of steel to shorten the reach to the Givi pannier rack arm. I'd post a picture of it, but I have already sold the bike so I can't take one. Sorry. You may also have noticed that we added a tube of steel across the back of the bikes to stabilize the panniers. If we didn't put that tube in, the panniers would not have been very secure. If you are going to use this set up, please make sure you add this tube.

Sorry I can't help you more.

Best,

Mike
  11. Yenrichment

Yenrichment n00b

Oddometer:
    No worries, Mike; this is already very helpful! At least now I know that I should be looking at using the Givi mounting adaptor instead of the Hepco bit to start the project rolling. Will have a fabricator look at it.

Looking forward to your next RR!
  12. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers

Oddometer:
    Since we found ourselves at the Scotch Whiskey Experience in Edinburgh, it was almost mandatory for us to stop and check out how Scotch whiskey is made and do a little sampling. Yup, we do this all for you. It's a job and someone has to do it. :photog Once inside,

[​IMG]

we were escorted to a small people moving "car" and taken through an animated presentation on how scotch whiskey is made. It was interesting, but frankly... get me to the scotch! Once through the tour we were then led to another room where we were given an in person presentation about the types of Scotch whiskey and where in Scotland each type of whiskey was distilled. Different parts of the country distill very different tasking flavors. While there, we were treated to our first taste of scotch from an area of Scotland of our choice. Now we were getting somewhere!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After we had time to drink our first free sample, we were led to a room with what is purportedly the worlds biggest scotch whiskey collection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Believe us, there was plenty of scotch there!

We walked around for a while to check out all the different varieties until we were led into the final area where we could sample all sorts of scotch. Thee was plenty of scotch to choose from so while in Scotland...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We drank our whiskey overlooking Edinburgh and it was a great way to spend part of the day in Edinburgh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whiskey flights consumed we headed back downstairs to the whiskey store there and had a look around...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We didn't purchase any but instead decided that it would be fun to tour Edinburgh Castle. It was a brief walk to the castle on very crowded narrow streets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It turns out that we had arrived during the week of the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo and people from around the world swelled the population of Edinburgh from about 500,000 to over 1,000,000 with 50% of those visitors from outside the UK. The following day was to be the last night of the Tattoo with an appearance of the British Royals.

Just outside the castle was a large temporary arena with seating for thousands of people around the castle entrance. As we walked in, a mockup of the JSF aircraft hung from underneath the stands.

[​IMG]

In we walked and found ourselves in the Tattoo performance area with a backdrop of Edinburgh Castle...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We spent the better part of the day walking around the castle grounds and exploring different buildings inside. The castle is built above the city and there are some great views from the walls...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, every castle needs a few of these...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (check out the guy on the right... boy is he in for a surprise. :lol3)

and some of these rock cannon balls to dissuade uninvited guests...

[​IMG]

It was really cool just to take our time and walk around the castle grounds...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since it is very hilly inside the castle, and the roads are made of stone bricks, the builders made sure that the horses transporting goods would be able to walk up the steep hills. To do so, they constructed a lane using smaller stone so the horse's hooves would not slip...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We also took the time to view the castle prison/dungeon which had been in use for hundreds of years...

Pirates...

[​IMG]

American Revolutionaries...

[​IMG]

and WW I prisoners were kept in the castle's prison...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After being released from prison, we walked over to the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards' quarters. Still a working barracks, there were many items form the Dragoon's history inside...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all, it was a very interesting afternoon at the castle. Walking back to our room, we passed some other interesting sites via narrow streets...

[​IMG]

The Royal Court of Scotland...

[​IMG]

and other interesting architecture...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I must say that I really liked Edinburgh and I am not a city person. There's lots to see and do. Speaking of things to see, Kim really, really, really wanted to tour the Queen of England's yacht, the Britannia. So in iffy weather, we decided to walk to the ship and check it out. After two hours of walking (and a brief Uber ride due to rain) we found the Britannia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can purchase a self guided walking tour of the ship for a few pounds so in we went. Kim was thrilled... Mike not so much... :lol2

[​IMG]

We toured many parts of the ship including...

The command section
    [​IMG]

The signal station
    [​IMG]

The family area astern
    [​IMG]

Royal's bedrooms...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another royal bedroom...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stateroom...
    [​IMG]

Dining Room...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Entryway to the dining room...
    [​IMG]

Some souvenirs from the ship's travels...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dignitaries state room...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other miscellaneous rooms...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did see something I found very interesting in one of the Royal's room. In a bookcase, surrounded with other miscellaneous titles were copies of...

Ian Fleming's James Bond series...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We also toured the not so fancy areas where the crew lived and worked.

Enlisted quarters...
    [​IMG]

Officer's quarters...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Officer's lounge...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Britannia's skiff...
    [​IMG]

Engine room...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all, we both enjoyed the tour. But Kim was not yet ready to leave and wanted to dine in the onboard restaurant. I reluctantly obliged, but when all was said and done, we both enjoyed it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kim ordered a sammich...
    [​IMG]

And I ordered a cappuccino. I was surprised when it arrived...
    [​IMG]

During lunch it started to rain heavily, so we Ubered back to our room for the evening.

- Until later!
    OR_Rider, Smidty and Rhode trip like this.
  13. motor_roy

motor_roy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome. I spent some time in Edinburgh and loved it!!!
    Ride2ADV likes this.
  14. OR_Rider

OR_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmm, looks familiar...from our visit there on April 26th 2017.

[​IMG]

Ride2ADV likes this.
  15. Dudley

Dudley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chaska, Minnesota, Palm Desert, California
    I was thinking what people were thinking as they watched the German Battleship Bismarck transit the Kiel Canal. The mighty ship would never return, but , they didn't know that!
    Dudley
    Ride2ADV likes this.
  16. jwc

jwc Ready to go Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. jwc

jwc Ready to go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been awhile ....... hope all is ok.
  18. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers

Oddometer:
    Hi, jwc, thanks for the post. Kim and I just finished a ride around Nova Scotia and I promise to get back to this RR soon. Best, Mike
    roadcapDen and jwc like this.
  19. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers

Oddometer:
    Having quenched our thirst for Royal Maritime transportation and seeing the sights of Edinburgh, we decided to head further north into the Scottish Highlands. The day dawned sunny and it was to be a good ride north once we got out of Edinburgh traffic.

[​IMG]

The further north we went, the more cloudy it became, but it was a pleasant ride through rolling hills and large crop fields as the mountains to the north beckoned to us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We hit several brief rain showers and in between them, we stopped at the roadside for lunch. There was a small turnout area amidst the crop fields and we pulled in oblivious to where we were.

[​IMG]

About 75 meters off the road was a statute that we had missed when we pulled in so we had to investigate. Just as the rain was starting again, we found this...

[​IMG]

Since the picture isn't clear, you're probably asking yourself who the statute is for. Well it commemorates...

[​IMG]

David Stirling, the founder of the British Special Air Services Regiment! The SAS was initially started as an air deployed combat regiment but quickly turned into a ground deployed unit successfully attacking enemy airfields in the Middle East and Africa destroying many aircraft while on the ground. It turns out that we had stumbled onto the Hill of Row near his family's estate at Park of Keir. For more info on David Stirling you can click HERE.

After learning about Stirling and a brief lunch, we were back on the road headed to see those surrounding green mountains in the distance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I could hardly wait to get there. When we finally reached them, the roads were narrow, twisty and mostly deserted...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This narrow road meandered along the path of a small river...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was enjoying this day so much that I have to tell you, that if I had it to do over again, I'd spend a lot more time in the Scottish Highlands!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were having a great time...

[​IMG]

Unfotunately, it was getting to look a bit stormy and late in the day...

[​IMG]

So we decided it was time to head back to our hotel.

[​IMG]

Soon we would be headed south away from the awesome place that are the Scottish Highlands. We'll definitely be back!

-Until later!
    roadcapDen, jwc and OR_Rider like this.
  20. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers

Oddometer:
    Well before I really wanted to, we were headed south once again towards Loch Lomond.

[​IMG]

I should have planned for more time in northern Scotland and planning such a short stay in this part of the world was probably my worst error of the trip.

Still, as we rode south we were treated to some excellent narrow lanes with lake and mountain views...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even though we were leaving the area and the skies were gloomy, we were still having lots of fun!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was time to head towards Greenock and to do so we'd have to take a short ferry ride from Hunters Quay...

[​IMG]

Soon we were loaded on the ferry and off to Greenock...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It wasn't a long trip and soon we were back on the road...

[​IMG]

We traveled over lots of swoopy, narrow roads headed to Greenock. Great views were everywhere...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When we finally arrived at Greenock, we decided it was time to walk around and see what was out there. We found a great little park with views overlooking the ocean...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty amazing stuff for being in a city...

[​IMG]

We spent a couple of days in Greenock looking around and riding some of the outlying roads. There was interesting weather, sometimes sunny and sometimes overcast and rainy in the same day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we approached a heard of a heard of Wooly Coos (Wolly Scottish Highland Cattle) we seemed to be the main attraction.

[​IMG]

Almost all of them were staring at us. We decided to stop and...

[​IMG]

We became the main attraction...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a while, they figured out we didn't have anything to give them and

[​IMG]

off they went.

Having watched hungry cows we decided we were hungry as well. We rode into a little town and found a grocery store that made sandwiches.

[​IMG]

There was a tiny table and two chairs outside so we had found our lunch stop.

[​IMG]

Once inside the store, there was no soup, but the owner made us some gigantic sandwiches...

[​IMG]

We were thrilled, but the host's dog not so much...

[​IMG]

We sat outside for about an hour and took it all in. We were very content.

-Until later!
    Smidty and ShimrMoon like this.