Kim & Mike's Most Excellent Planet Ramble

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ride2ADV, Jun 5, 2016.

1. tengoal

tengoal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been there, done that. ...but somehow, your words and pictures make it almost more emotional for me than the first time around. Glad you were able to spend the time and experience that "feeling". Well done my friend!!
    Ride2ADV likes this.
  2. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers

Oddometer:
    If we haven't been there, it's on the list.
    Sorry for the delay in posting, we've not had much internet connectivity. I hope to get some additional posts today and get you up to date. We are now in Switzerland and will be headed for Austria tomorrow. So let's see if I can give you a little bit more of the story.

There's quite a bit to see and learn at the cemetery. There's information on the actual battle plans...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As well as information on all the landing beaches...

[​IMG]

One of the things that caught my attention was the amount of land the troops had to cover even before gaining a foothold on the beach heads. It was decided that troops should land at low tide on these beaches because the sand was hard and the water shallower upon landing. However, because of this, the troops had a long way to go out in the open to make it to land.

So while at Utah beach, I walked to the waterline at low tide...

[​IMG]

And took some pictures of what the troops may have seen when they landed and how far they had to go to get to the mainland...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a long way.
  3. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the delay in responding AnotherHobby. Yes, we did a bit of fabrication. We added a triangular piece of flat steel and drilled holes to line up the rack with the footrest.
    AnotherHobby likes this.
  4. JaxGt

JaxGt Where to next....

Oddometer:
    I remember stopping there, Cian for the night and visiting Normandy. I thought it was one of the most solemn places I had ever been and hope to go back and spend more than a day exploring. Good job with the pictures, they bring back a lot.
    Ride2ADV likes this.
  5. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers

Oddometer:
    While visiting Omaha Beach, we ran into a fellow traveler, Peter from Austria. Peter was on a 6 week journey with his Africa Twin. He said each year his wife gives him six weeks to travel and so it was this time that he was traveling France and Germany. Here's Peter with Kim...

[​IMG]

Of course we had to take the obligatory selfie!

[​IMG]

Peter was camping, but we had scored an AirBnB room in a nice little house.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It actually had a little secret... it was right on Omaha Beach...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not too shabby!

The following day we decided to go on a field trip of sorts. We decided to check out Mont Saint Michele, an 8th century fortress and monastery that was attacked but never taken. On a small island approximately 3/4 mile from the mainland, the Mont was surrounded by quicksand and fast rising tides. Pilgrims could make it to the Mont, but would be attackers could not easily make it to the fortress due to the quicksand and fast rising tides. If you want to know more, click HERE.

As we approached, we could make it out in the distance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The closer we got, the more impressive it became.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We parked in a gigantic parking lot and took a bus to the Mont. It was pretty cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once inside, you could see how narrow the streets were...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When you first enter the Mont, it is full of tourist stuff and frankly is a Disney like experience. Nothing like shopping in narrow quarters for stuff you really don't need or want. But as you climbed higher into the Mont, it was less commercial and gave a better feeling to the history of the place.

As you got higher, you could get some good views of why the fortress was so defensible...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Water and sand surround the place and when high tide comes in, it is completely surrounded by water.

We toured some of the rooms inside the mount and got to see what a knight's quarters looked like...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then this... In a thick glass case...

[​IMG]

What the heck is this you may ask?

It's a reproduction of a middle ages chastity belt. I had heard of them, but never seen one. Hard to believe that women were forced to wear them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll leave the comments to you...

So let's get back to the Mont. We walked around quite a bit, and instead of commenting on everything, I'll post some pics that should give you a good feel for the place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] (Middle Ages elevator)

Then of course, there had to be a place to keep prisoners... in the dungeon...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While the monks passed judgement...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some political prisoners got quarters that were much better...

[​IMG]

Some even made it out alive...

[​IMG]

We walked the Mont for about 4 hours in total and returned to our room on Omaha beach. Tomorrow, we'd be going to another historic site. Not as old, but for some, very exciting.

-Till Later
    Pete S, roadcapDen, juno and 3 others like this.
  6. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mont Saint Michele.. cool place. Google earth and you can walk around in it. It's as much a "protected place" as it is a "prison".
    Ride2ADV likes this.
  7. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers

Oddometer:
    On a suggestion of a friend, (Thanks Bob!) we made our way southeast towards a place that is a historic venue for endurance racing; both cars and bikes. We decided to head for Le Mans, France.

Along the way, we stopped at a grocery store and picked up some fresh food like bread, ham and cheese. This food became a mainstay of our trip.

We started making roadside lunches, sometimes with spectacular views and where possible, sat at a roadside table in the shade. Like this... only this time sitting on a rock in the sun...

[​IMG].

Ultimately, we found a little house with a small apartment for rent and settled in.

[​IMG]

It even came with a little extra rural charm including chickens and a rooster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the boss of the place...

[​IMG]

We met the homeowners, Leslie and Aurelien and their son Zach.

[​IMG]

They were very welcoming and made us feel right at home. They also made some suggestions where we could get dinner since many of the restaurants were not open on Sunday. We ended up at a street side cafe called Rossi's and had a great dinner. It was 6:30 and they didn't start serving dinner until 7:00 so we were "forced" to drink...

This for Mike...

[​IMG] (Before some of you guys ask, why is the beer so red? I can tell you that it has some strawberry in it. I didn't think it would be good, but frankly, it was very good! Yes TENGOAL, it was very good!) :lol3

And some of this for Kim.

[​IMG]

Adding even more pleasure was that this little cafe was right across the street from Le Man's Saint Julien cathedral. It had the most amazing flying buttresses I have ever seen!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just can't fathom how this type of architecture was built hundreds of years ago, more precisely, sometime in the 9th century. It was cool to see such an ancient place in a bustling city.

At the appointed hour, using the French menu, we were able to order dinner and this is what arrived...

[​IMG]

Not too shabby, not shabby at all. So we sat there for a couple of hours ate great food and drank good beverages. Overall, it was an excellent day.

The following morning it was time to head out to see the Le Mans Circuit. As we pulled up, there was a fair amount of traffic and attendants at the gate directing traffic. Little did we know that we had shown up on the Thursday before the the actual 24 Hours of Le Mans race was to be held!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because of this, there was no way we were going to be able to get a tour of the circuit. But we were able to tour the museum there!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The museum is an amazing testament to the history of the 24 Hour race. Once inside, we found examples of race bikes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As well as many cars from the history of Le Mans.

As you walk past the bikes, you are confronted with this picture wall...

[​IMG]

and are directed to nudge past the woman in the pop art dress and find this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Note the tartan plaid seat cover denoting that this was Jackie Stewart's F1 Machine.

[​IMG]

When I was a kid, I remember playing with this Hot Wheels toy car as well as...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Lotus British BRM. It was the most amazing nostalgic Deja' Vu!!!

There were so many amazing exhibits, that I am just going to post some pictures and let you all enjoy...

Starting with early era...

[​IMG] (steam powered - chain drive)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, when you are racing an ancient car and there are no marshalls waving blue flags, you probably needed one of these on your machine.

[​IMG]

Now that's a snarling horn!

For the more modern era, there were some of these (BTW, there were many, many more modern era cars than I took pictures of... sorry.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this one... the most successful American car at Le Mans.

[​IMG] (no not the blue one). The Ford GT40, built specifically for Le Mans and won four straight times including a 1, 2, 3 finish in 1966. I hope some day, the current Haas F1 team can achieve this kind of superiority in F1.

Since the circuit is named after Etorre Bugatti, there were several Bugattis on display. Since I not very knowledgeable about antique cars or bikes, I am just going to post the remainder of my decent museum pics. Here goes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] (Inline 12 engine).

Etorre Bugatti's personal suitcase. All leather of course...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] (old Caddy with big Dagmars... you look it up...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all, we spent about 3 hours in the museum, and exited past this...

[​IMG]

The old Le Mans finish sign...

We had a great afternoon at the museum. Once home again, we decided to make a top notch dinner...

[​IMG]

Believe us, with fresh bread and meat, this really was a top notch dinner! Later that afternoon, we were invited by Leslie and Aurelien to enjoy some wine on their patio and chat as evening came. It was great fun and we enjoyed every minute. Thanks Leslie and Aurelien!!!

After the wine, we racked out for the evening headed for some French wine country.

Until Later!
    Pete S, roadcapDen, juno and 4 others like this.
  8. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers

Oddometer:
    We continued riding east in growing heat. Soon it was over 100F and muggy. It was hot, really, really hot! We kept moving as much as possible to keep some air moving over us. Since this was wine country, there were lots of fields, but not much shade. Here and there were some brief respites when we encountered lines of trees.

[​IMG]

We passed some road signs that reminded us that we weren't in the US any more.

[​IMG]

Some people knew how to create shade

[​IMG]

We rode in the sweltering heat and decided to find some place to stop early. Out of sheer luck, we saw a sign with an arrow that said Gite (B&B). We turned down a gravel road and rode about 1/2 a mile. At the end of the road, we found this.

[​IMG]

We asked for a room and were shown to an adjacent building. We were given a tiny room, but it had two French doors that opened into a tiny courtyard with a table and two chairs. The courtyard was surrounded by high shrubbery so the courtyard although tiny, was completely private.

[​IMG]

If I reached over my head, I could take a picture of the owner's house and barn.

[​IMG]

So it was time for a wine, cheese and nut dinner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After our dinner, we went for a walk on the farm property. The owner had told us that there was a lake in the back that we could walk around. It wasn't really a lake, but a rather large pond.

[​IMG]

We did a lap around the lake/pond and saw some ducks carrying on, doing what ducks do...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were also some nice wild flowers...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We also came across a couple of these. I have no clue what they are.

[​IMG]

Soon we were back to the gite...

[​IMG]

The following morning we went into the owners house for breakfast. It was breads, coffee, yogurt, fruit and meat. Very nice!

[​IMG]

Soon we were back on the road, and for the first time this trip, a short gravel one. But nice as it ran past trees and farmer's fields.

[​IMG]

The heat continued to increase, and there were brief respites on roads surrounded on both sides by trees.

[​IMG] (no I did not put that arrow in there to show where Kim was... It's the road marking...)

[​IMG]

Later that day, we hit our first thunder showers...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But the rain felt good so there were no complaints from us. It came and went during the 2nd half of the day, so we sometimes had dry roads and other times had flooded road sections. Between rain bursts, we got a few pics along the way.

We hit a bit of construction and had to wait at the side of the road to pass. While sitting there I got this pic of an old French house.

[​IMG]

I also took some pics of the road construction warning signs.

[​IMG]

While this isn't an uncommon sign, the one behind it is... Don't bother expanding the pic, the 2nd sign says...

[​IMG]

Still can't read it well? Here you go you Motard!

[​IMG]

All you motards out there, pay attention to those Gravillons!!!

Later, we stopped for lunch at the side of the road at a small park.

[​IMG]

It seemed an out of the way place for a roadside park. Why put one way out here?

Well it just so happens that it has an awesome view of an old French town surrounded by farmer's fields.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It really was gorgeous!

[​IMG]

Closest to us were large wheat fields with wild poppies growing at the edges...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were also other natural attractions like these lichen on the table we were eating on...

[​IMG]

Or these other wild flowers...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all, for a roadside lunch, it was wonderful!!!

Relatively late in the day, we were getting closer to our final destination; in the Burgundy Region of Mercurey, France. It's an ancient place and the largest wine producing area in France. There were vineyards everywhere!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just before we got there, we stopped for some shade and an ice cream. While there, this cool little antique Citroen arrived...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soon we would be in the ancient village with narrow roads named for the God Mercury... Messenger to the Gods.

[​IMG]

Until Later

(Note: I am sorry to be so far behind on this ride report. This post takes you to the border of Mecurey, France. However, as I write this, we are in a small cottage just outside Kekava, Latvia. We will be here a couple of days so I promise to get another post up before we get back on the road. Thanks for coming along!)
    Pete S, ShimrMoon, 68vette and 3 others like this.
  9. tengoal

tengoal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your pictures from the roadside park of the French town past the wheat fields are really so - French! :hmmmmm Seriously - Love the pictures. ...and gotta love the little Citroen.
    Ride2ADV likes this.
  10. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers

Oddometer:
    We were able to find a nice little apartment in town. It was crammed into a very narrow road...

[​IMG]

Which just happened to host a winery as well...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The following morning we decided to go for a walk around town and see what it looked like. There was some lovely architecture in the ancient buildings. This church was recently restored and re-opened...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were many figures posted along its base.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as well as some artwork...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The church wasn't the only place in town so we walked around some more and found quite a few interesting and ancient buildings...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One thing I find really cool about Europe is the age of the buildings and the sturdiness and craftsmanship or just pure age of the old doors. Here are a few I caught around town...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These aren't very old doors, but they were really well done...

[​IMG]

Later we walked down the hill from the village where we were staying to pick up some groceries. There was more to see in town...

Cool streetlights...

[​IMG]

Bricked in (stoned in) windows...

[​IMG]

Old grinding wheels...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A snail in the middle of the road running (sliming) for its life!!!

[​IMG]

Don't worry, we picked him up and put him at the side of the road. :lol3

We made it back to the apartment just before a thunderstorm rolled through and when completed, it left us this nice little rainbow...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soon we would be back on the bikes heading for a city...

[​IMG]

Until later...
    Pete S, ShimrMoon, Mudclod and 2 others like this.
  11. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great updates and pics. Glad to see you enjoying Europe. I think France is one of the most beautiful countries on earth.
    Ride2ADV likes this.
  12. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers

Oddometer:
    In the morning we headed for a small city in France called Morteau. It was to be a stopping point just before we arrived in Switzerland. Once again it was blisteringly hot. All we wanted to do was keep moving and keep the air flowing.

We did however, stop at another roadside rest area and had a lunch of leftover food.

[​IMG]

While we were there, this truck pulled in and I had to take a picture of it for my friend Steve. He has worked for International Paper in the US for over 30 years.

[​IMG]

After lunch, we passed a grocery store and decided to stop and get some new food that did not have to be refrigerated for the next few days.

[​IMG]

We also hoped to find some cool air inside, but as we entered, it was clear that it wasn't. We quickly rounded up some food and hit the road again.

It was taking us longer than we planned to get to Morteau. There were many small towns along the way where the speed limits were about 30 MPH, so progress was slow. But they were beautiful nonetheless.

[​IMG]

After what seemed like a very long ride in the heat, we made it to Morteau and the hotel for the night. Since we were in a city, I asked if there was some secure parking where we could put the bikes. The reception person looked us over and said, "I will open the garage for you". We told her that would be wonderful. She gave us directions to the garage and we jumped on the bikes to where she sent us. When we arrived, we didn't see the garage. Just two small doors not nearly big enough for a car.

[​IMG]

I went back to reception and told them that we couldn't find the garage and that we could only find two small doors. She smiled and said that was the garage and that we could put the bikes inside there. It was in fact, the hotel's wine and beer cellar!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How nice was that!

Bikes secured, we looked for a place to eat in town on a terrace overlooking one of the town squares. First we secured some beverages...

[​IMG]

and then dinner...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after a few drinks, it was time to retire to the room. It was tiny, but had a pretty good view!

[​IMG]

We got a reasonably early start the following morning and soon were at the Swiss border...

[​IMG]
    Pete S and Mudclod like this.
  13. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers

Oddometer:
    It was an easy cruise through the border. A couple of guards looked us over as we just rode past and said nothing. Easy!
    The roads almost immediately got twisty and narrow. There were some excellent tunnels, some short...

[​IMG]

and some long...

[​IMG]

But they were well engineered and much cooler than the outside air!

Crops were in their mid-life, fields of corn and other produce abounded.

[​IMG]

As we rode along, we came upon this very cool rail trestle. It reminded me of a Roman aqueduct.

[​IMG]

Soon, the Alps appeared...

[​IMG]

and we started coming across many, many small towns...

[​IMG]

As we motored along, we passed through the small city of Neuchatel and just happened to spot a Ducati/Triumph dealership. Since we needed some visor cleaner, we stopped to check the place out...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were surprised at the amount of attention the Scramblers drew, with many people coming out the dealership to look at the bikes, chat and take pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They had some cool stuff there and even this stock Triumph bobber that isn't available in the US.

[​IMG]

As we approached the city of Thun, the area became more "touristy" as the two large lakes, the Thunersee and the Brienzersee are places where lots of locals and tourists come in the summer. We rode the main road beside the lakes and it was absolutely gorgeous. I wish I had better pics for you, but the road is one or two narrow lanes with few places to stop by the side of the road. We could have gone into some of the parks at the side of the road, but frankly, there were was so much traffic and so many people there we decided not to stop. You'll have to live with these helmet cam shots. Sorry...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you get a chance to go to the area, you should check it out for yourself!

We continued towards our desitination for the day, the tiny town of Wengen. It's a quite spectacular place and the closer you get, the more spectacular it gets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Along the way, there is a local beer brewery, Rugenbrau which is produced just outside of Lauterbrunnen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you look closely at this photo and look in the bottom window on the left, you can see the copper top of one of the fermentation tanks.

[​IMG]

Wengen is a "car-less" village with only a few (like 15 - 20) tiny cars allowed. So to get there, you must first go to the town of Lauterbrunnen and then take a train to Wengen. Lauterbrunnen is a beautiful town in itself, sandwiched between two mountain ranges. It looks like this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But Lauterbrunnen has even more of a surprise...

[​IMG]

It has up to three waterfalls falling from the mountains and running into the Lauterbrunnen valley below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So we parked the bikes at the Lauterbrunnen garage and hopped onto the cog train to Wengen. An the way up, you got a better look at one of the falls...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The train ride is quite spectacular, quickly rising above the valley below...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It didn't take long for us to reach the Wengen train station and the town of Wengen where we'd have both on and off road fun..

[​IMG]

Until later!
  14. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers

Oddometer:
    Once we made it to the Wengen train station, we grabbed our gear and walked to a little apartment we had rented through AirBnb. It was on the third floor of a small house and only took us about 5 minutes to get there. Once inside, we were amazed at the views we had...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were two separate balconies where where we could sit outside and just drink it all in. They were amazing...

We have been going to Wengen for about 20 years to ski in the spring and during that time we have become good friends with the couple that owns what we think is the nicest hotel in town, The Baren. To check out the hotel Baren, click HERE. Willy and Therese have been running the hotel all this time and they have done an amazing job of making it an oasis in an already beautiful area. Every time we have stayed there, they made us feel like family.

After we settled in, we had dinner at the Baren. The 4 course meal meal is spectacular and looks like this...

First course:
    [​IMG]

Second course:
    [​IMG]

Third course:
    [​IMG]

Final course:
    [​IMG]

Clearly, we were NOT roughing it! But it was a great treat!

We also got to chat with Willy & Therese:

[​IMG]

and have a little fun...

[​IMG]

After dinner we walked back the apartment and turned in for the night...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The following morning, dawned sunny...

[​IMG]

we decided to do some walking in the mountains and to walk to an area called the Royal Walk. It starts on the Maennlichen mountain and goes up from a plateau there. You take the ski gondola to the plateau at the ski area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then up the mountain you go...

[​IMG]

Here's a view looking down once you have made it to the Maennlichen plateau.

[​IMG]

From here you get this view...

[​IMG]

There are 3 pretty famous mountains in the background...

[​IMG]

Left to right you can see the Eiger (yes, the same one from the movie), the Monch and the Jungfrau which is the highest peak in Europe.

[​IMG]

Once on the plateau, you walk up to the little peak in the background...

[​IMG]

Where there is a platform where you can get a great 360 degree view.

[​IMG]

So off we went...

Along the way, we took some pics. This is a little view of the avalanche fences...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were some signs with information about the area. This one was a clear piece of plexiglass showing the many climbing routes up the face of the Eiger.

[​IMG]

As we walked up, we saw several people paragliding off the plateau...

[​IMG]

After about a 30 minute walk, we made it to the Royal Walk.

[​IMG]

The view from up there were indeed spectacular...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, and see those little squiggly roads in the background, they are lots of fun. Trust us, we'll show you more later...

[​IMG]

Getting our fill of scenery, we headed back down the mountain...

[​IMG]

On the way down the mountain, the spirit of the movie The Sound of Music caught up with her...

[​IMG]

We finished with that... and walked back to the ski lift. We grabbed a quick lunch and headed towards our second event of the day...

Something a little different and perhaps a bit hazardous? Something like this?

[​IMG]

What the heck is that you might ask. Well, remember those twisty narrow little roads with no guardrails I mentioned earlier... We get to play on them with that 3 wheeled sled.

Like these...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You sit on the little bench on the back and put your feet on the two little platforms beside the big front wheel.

[​IMG]

and let gravity take it's course...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So what's it like? Here ya go...!!!! (Click on the next two pics, one at a time... they will change to an under 10 second video that gives you a real feel for what it's like.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It... Was... A... BLAST!!!

Along the way, there were some pretty awesome sights...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, after a 3.5 mile ride down the mountain, you take the little 4 person gondola back to the Maennlichen plateau.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Where you get on the big 80 person gondola and go back down into Wengen where we spent another couple of days hanging out. In a couple of days, we'd head further east and go over the Grimsel Pass that looks like this...

[​IMG]

Until later!
    Pete S, ShimrMoon and Mudclod like this.
  15. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been awhile since I've checked into this RR, I just reread all 9 pages. You two are having way too much fun is all I have to say. Shiny side up.:D
    Ride2ADV likes this.
  16. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
    Outstanding report. I would NEVER leave Wengen, ha!
    Ride2ADV likes this.
  17. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mike, we're doing our best to continue having wayyyyyyy too much fun!
  18. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers

Oddometer:
    Thanks, it was hard to leave, but there is even more to come!
  19. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers

Oddometer:
    Ultimately, we had to come off the mountain and went back to Wengen...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (that's Wengen in the foreground and Lauterbrunnen in the valley below in the background.)

We decided to go visit Willy and Therese at the Baren again for dinner and a drink or two or seven...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dinner was excellent as usual!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] (Sorry, I took a couple of bites out of this course before I took the pic. It looked so damn good! :1drink)

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, before we knew it, it was time to go back down the mountain and continue our ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ride down was a beautiful as the ride up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It wasn't long before we were back at the parking garage in Lauterbrunnen to get back on the bikes.

[​IMG]

Soon, we were back on the Swiss roads and running through the awesome tunnels...

[​IMG]

We headed for more mountains and the Grimsel pass on our way to Austria.

[​IMG]

We climbed pretty quickly and the road became immediately twisty.

[​IMG]

Soon, we were above the tree line and everything turned to granite...

[​IMG]

In July, there was still plenty of snow and snow melt runoff...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bikes were everywhere and sometimes running wide open...

[​IMG] (Yup, those little stones at the side of the road is the guardrail.)

Bikes weren't the only ones enjoying the twisties...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The higher we got the more twisty it got...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was great riding. When we reached to top, we stopped for a pic and some lunch.

[​IMG]

When we looked out over the climb we had just made, it was spectacular.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And we still had this to look forward to on the way down!

[​IMG]

We did get down and ended up at a little apartment listed on AirBnB. Our stay there was to be one of trip highlights. Via AirBnB, we asked our hosts (Martin & Claudia) if there were any places nearby that we could eat. Claudia immediately replied that we could eat dinner with them! Wow, nice! We accepted and after a short climb on some narrow, steep and twisty road, we pulled up to a beautiful yellow house in Waltensburg/Vuoroz, Switzerland. I stupidly did not take any pictures of the outside of the house, but it was beautiful and had been in Martin's family for generations. Martin had also added to the house and the place we would be staying were his handiwork. Check this out...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All done by Martin and it was ours for the night. But that was just the beginning. When dinner rolled around, Claudia presented this...

[​IMG]

and this wonderful meal!!!

[​IMG]

Believe us, it was amazingly good!!

Now I purposely haven't shown you the rest of Martin and Claudia's home because it is quite special. There were some marvelous surprises right in his back yard...

First, Martin built this...

[​IMG]

A gorgeous Koi pond. Stocked with many beautiful Koi...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And beside the Koi pond...

[​IMG]

An awesome place to hang out and chat. Along with Claudia's beautiful garden...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After dinner, we sat and chatted about just about everything. We learned that Martin and Claudia were newlyweds and their first anniversary was rapidly approaching. Martin was on the Swiss National Ski Team, is an expert in Koi, and plays the Swiss Long Horn. Claudia is originally from Germany and is an amazing cook. So good in fact that she is a chef at a nearby restaurant. As you can tell, she is also an excellent gardener. While we chatted, it started to get dark as we munched on some chips and drank 3 bottles of wine, yes three...

Soon we were feeling no pain and looking out over this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was the best evening of the trip by far!!!

The following morning we woke up with a bit of a hangover, but were in good enough shape to say goodbye and ride on...

We took a parting selfie and it was quite bittersweet to be leaving such a friendly and awesome couple. We hope to see them again soon!

[​IMG]

BTW, if you want a chance to stay with Martin and Claudia, PM me and I'll give you their Airbnb link.

We got back on the bikes and headed for Austria. Before we got there, we had to pass through Liechtenstein. It's a tiny principality sandwiched between Switzerland and Austria. What does it look like?

[​IMG]

There you go. That is the only pic I got since the entirety of the country is only about 25KM long. :lol2

Soon were were rolling into Austria.

[​IMG]

Until later!!!
  20. tengoal

tengoal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those pictures are so spectacular, it's beyond my ability to even make a rational comment.
    LadyFish4 and Ride2ADV like this.