Kim & Mikes Most Excellent Shakedown Cruise - The Finish Line Is Just The Start

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ride2ADV, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If we haven't been there, it's on the list.
    Well Kim and I have finally reached what has been our goal for over 40 years. On the 4th of July 2015, we retired from the corporate world. No more suits, no more ties, no more deadlines. After spending decades doing what others wanted us to do, it's finally our turn to go out and play. I've even started the beard that I've always wanted.

[​IMG]

To mark our new found freedom, we've decided to try an around the world journey. For now, we're just going to do a little shakedown run to ease into the retirement waters. We're heading north from our home and will take a route that will take us from NH, through VT, Quebec via the Gaspe Peninsula, Labrador via the Trans Labrador Highway, Newfoundland via parts of the Trailway, Nova Scotia and ME.

Then we'll take some time off to sell our home and many belongings so that we can make our way around the rest of the world.

I'll be on a 2011 KTM 990 Adventure and Kim will be on a 2013 Suzuki DR650.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although both have been somewhat farkelized I can't leave good enough alone. Kim's DR needs something more to make it worthy. So I've added some Barkbusters, a 5 gallon Acerbis tank, a swoopy high mount front fender and relocated her well used windshield lower.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We'll have a Spot tracker so you can watch us as we make our way and you can find it here:

https://login.findmespot.com/spot-main-web/myaccount/locations/history.html
    mallorypaige likes this.
  2. Tyrepower

Tyrepower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You lucky, lucky buggers.............. Hope it all goes well. I will be following along here, so post up some updates every now and then.

Cheers Richo
  3. Idahohigh

Idahohigh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome , I am very happy for the both of you. I too will be leaving that other world in 12 months. I do not have any plans for a round the world trip yet, I will get through the states first then see what's next. Until then I shall follow along to see how retirees do it..
  4. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations. I am still working but mostly own my own time. I think I am a little bit afraid to actually retire. I stopped wearing suits in 2006, though, and have had a beard since... :D

My first coast/coast was aboard a KTM 950 I bought in 2004. I rode that thing all over the continent from the Arctic Circle to Baja. You are lucky your wife is up for a RTW. I might try that if my wife was willing. Anyway, you will love that 990. I replaced my 950 with a 690, but I miss the big girl. She was a great traveling machine.

I an anxious to follow your adventure. I ended up buying a winter place in the desert out west, and it serves as a basecamp for the travels I like to experience. Anyways, keep us posted.
  5. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk Safe travels Mike.
  6. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for the kind comments. We get underway tomorrow morning and head for the Canadian border. However, our next update probably won't come until Monday since Baldy is updating ADVRider and it will be in read only mode until then. We promise to take lots of pics and post them as soon as we are able.
  7. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    Very late start but finally ready to go!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
  8. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]Very late start but finally ready to go.

9. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Good luck and safe travels from another retired DR650 rider. I'm subscribing to follow along. See you Monday.:1drink
  10. RebornRider

RebornRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Outstanding! Thanks for sharing. You both look GREAT!! Safe travels. :-)
    g
  11. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone,

We are holed up in a tiny B&B in Sainte Anne des Monts, Quebec. Everything is fine except the internet connectivity which has speeds nearly approaching full dial up (i.e. not so fast). As soon as we get better connectivity, we'll start the festivities with pics etc. More soon...
  12. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    So we finished riding early today and now have an opportunity to bring you up to date on our riding festivities since we left. Again connectivity is an issue, but we will be able to get some story and pics out to you tonight. So ready....??? I am about to push the button on the last couple of days.
  13. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    As you know we left late in the day on Friday from Woodstock, VT and headed north. This is a wandering ride so other than having a vague idea of where we wanted to go, planning was kept to a minimum. Frankly we hadn't even decided where we would be stopping the first night. As it was quickly getting dark, we decided that we'd cross over into Canada and stop for the night in Magog, Quebec. The first place we stopped at had no rooms available, so it was time to ask the GPS what else was available and we ended up in a small B&B off the beaten track. By the time we were in, we were bushed and so the only picture I have of the accommodations is this one of the room.

Pretty nice for a drop in and say hi.

[​IMG]

After a quick breakfast, we were back on the road heading north. It was now the weekend and there was a good deal of traffic, but nothing too difficult. We were still in "highly populated" areas so we just put the hammer down and continued north. Still in the "touristy" part of Quebec, we ultimately we ended up in an Econolodge in Montmagny after the first hotel we tried was full. It was nothing special so we there is little in the line of pictures other than the following morning pic of Kim packing her bike.

[​IMG]

Not much to see here... move along. We promise it gets better. The further northeast we got, the lighter the traffic and the more there was to see. We wanted to stay on the coast, so we looked at the map and just picked a general route and the town we would stop in. Ultimately, we decided on Sainte Anne Des Monts. It was to be our target for the evening.

The first thing we learned is that the Quebecois are significantly Catholic and the churches they build are large and spectacular.

[​IMG]

Yes that's the ocean in the background. You're welcome.

[​IMG]

It wasn't long before things got a little less crowded and there were other things to see. Soon after this pic was taken, we came across a folk art gallery (this section of Quebec is loaded with art galleries). We actually rode past first and decided we had to turnaround and visit.

As we rode in we saw this...

[​IMG]

OK, so there are a couple of carved birds on some shelves. Oh yeah, and there's a duck hunter on the left in full hunting gear. We're used to seeing ducks in full hunting gear, so that did phase us much, but these giant birds did...

[​IMG]

My, my Kim, that one with the long legs has a big pecker/beak.

[​IMG]

So doesn't this one. Now I'm begging to feel inadequate. We need to move on.

We told you about big amazing churches, this one wasn't far away...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enough dawdling around churches, we needed to get to Sainte Anne des Monts. More soon!
  14. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    On board new ferry at Matane QC. Baie Comeau arrival then off to Trans Labrador Highway tomorrow. Hope to make it to Labrador City non-stop.

roosterdc likes this.
  15. dixiethedog

dixiethedog Day tripper

Oddometer:
    Congratulation's on your new adventure. Im envious of you's both.:-) Im new to the site,so it's really cool to see the starting point of journey as it happen's.
    Travel safely and have lot's of fun.
    I'll watch daily for updates.:-)
  16. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    Now where was I? Oh yeah, we were headed to Saint Anne des Monts, QC for no other reason than it looked like a reasonable place to stop for the day. As we rode further northeast, we came upon one of many wind farms we would see in this area. Quebec believes in wind power and apparently in a big way, first there were a few peeking over the hill tops...

[​IMG]

Then there were lots more everywhere...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We would have stopped and checked out the wind power generators more closely, but the time it would take us to reach our destination precluded it. We wanted to be in Sainte Anne des Monts before it started to get dark, so I'm afraid we just hammered by.

As we rode by, I had to wonder how they built those things and get them to areas like this. Well here's the answer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the blades of the windmill being transported. I would guess that they were 100 feet long. Since I'd never seen them this close up before, I didn't recognize how curved the blades are. Here's a different angle that will give you a feel for the curve of the blade.

[​IMG]

All in all, it was very cool stuff.

By the time we reached Sainte Anne des Monts, the sunlight was begging to fade. It wasn't disappointing though since we were able to watch the sun lowering as we rode and got view like this...

[​IMG]

Pretty nice huh?

Ultimately we were able to reach Sainte Anne des Monts and found a small B&B. We checked in and were treated to a room right on the water. It was amazing. We took off our gear and plonked ourselves down in two Adirondack chairs and watched the sunlight fade like this.

[​IMG]
  17. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    The room was pretty nice as well. Pay no attention to the bike gear all over the place, we're really not that messy (oh yes we are...)

[​IMG]

The following morning dawned bright and sunny. Out the front door of the room we saw this...

[​IMG]

It was so nice, we decided we would spend another day in town and explore a little. We found that the town had its own aquarium so we decided to wander over and have a look. It was a bit pricey ($15 a head) for its size, but we were there to explore the Gaspe' peninsula so we decided we'd go for it. It was actually quite nice with a good selection of sea life from the area.

Next time I'll have pics from inside the aquarium and more excitement generated by Kim. It was exciting...
  18. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    So I told you that we'd have pics from inside the aquarium, so here they are...

A flounder floundering...

[​IMG]

Some shrimpy shrimp... The one with the blue eyes is cute.... Oh yeah, they all have blue eyes.

[​IMG]

Some starfish fishing. Not successfully...

[​IMG]

My uncle Walter

[​IMG]

Walter's 3 sons...

[​IMG]

A skate skating. BTW, skateboarding is not a crime.

[​IMG]

Walter's first son, blowing off some steam...

[​IMG]

Me, when I'm crabby...

[​IMG]
  19. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    There, now you've had a tour of the inside of the aquarium. Outside of the aquarium, we found this two person sub made for two shrimpy guys (apparently - not the ones with the blue eyes inside the aquarium).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    Eventually, it was time to get back on the road and we headed north. Beyond Matane, the peninsula got a little less touristy and the views and sights were less commercial. Some folks had nice little cottages Oceanside and their views were amazing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    dedad71 likes this.