kirrama range road NQ

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Tagati, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Tagati

Tagati tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer:
    Townsville, Capital of Free Australia (NQ)
    Gentleman I would like to draw your attention to something that has been going on up this way that many have missed.
    http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2011/09/26/269581_news.html

kirrama range road is a great road/track that run's inland from Kennedy just north of Cardwell. It was built with grand plans to open up the inland area to development. That didnt happen. Originally it was a sealed road. It has fallen into such a state of disrepair that most of the seal has washed away leaving a 175km dirt track through the rainforest and grassland. It has one of the most impressive waterfalls in Australia mid way (Blanco Falls). The aria was also used for the filming of Australian Survivor and the James cook uni was studying in the area.

Now the road has been “closed” since cyclone Larry in 2006 but it wasn't “CLOSED”. You could just ride past the sign and it was all good. Users had maintained the road in so far as cutting trees that had fallen across the road. And the camping area at blanco while not maintained was relatively rubbish free and not vandilized. All told it was the perfect arrangement.

Now after cyclone yasi they have really closed the road, as in put up gates and dug trenches. Now here is the thing, the Cassowary Coast Regional Council has it in there head that it must be closed or “fixed”. I don't want either. Fix it and then it will be another sealed road blah blah blah. We need to find a way of having it open to recreational users.

I propose we start a campaign to be allowed access. Send off an email from here http://www.cassowarycoast.qld.gov.au/web/guest/contact-council1 pointing out the advantages to us going there. The fuel etc we would buy at Kennedy the way our adventures would raise the profile of the area. And the opportunity the Cassowary Coast Regional Council has to be appeal to a whole different type of tourism. Show them that they have the chance to do something for there voters.

Also if your a member of any other forums or groups that this might interest please pass this on. Even if you just cut, paste and post. This would also be great for the 4wd'ers mountain bikers and trail bike riders and anyone else with a sense of adventure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second half of this RR was on the road in question
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371789
  2. hendoABC

hendoABC Banned

Oddometer:
    Done, love that area.
  3. Reefdog

Reefdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Tagati

I have been on this road many many times,,,from kennedy to koombooloomba dam to Ravenshoe..
    Question
    If the road is closed how do the people at Kirrama station get to town????
    OR
    Have the greenies bought them out???

How is it closed with a gate and lock, or just a sign??

reef
  4. outback jack

outback jack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Email sent, i have been there twice, and was planning on riding back through there after the OCR next year, beautifull part of NQ that's for sure.
  5. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
    is this the rd ol mate cut through without permission and such to get to his new city he was going to construct up the table lands?? .

quade or something his name was
  6. Tagati

Tagati tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer:
    They put in a steel gate and dug a trench to block it. Apparently the people who live up that way now have to go up to Mt Garnet.

I don't think its comeing from the greenies more from the council not wanting to spend money on it. But if it's allowed to become overgrown the greenies will never let it be re cleared.
  7. Tagati

Tagati tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer:
    Nah different road. I hadn't heard of that one until you brought it up. sounds interesting
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaid_Road
  8. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
    yes i lived up in portdouglas for a few yrs working on the resorts during the constuction .. me and a few mates found what we thought was the rd but i dunno it was a long time ago and many beers were consumed during the recce ride we did :lol3...would love to head back up there 1 day but i think it will spoil my memories of the place
  9. El Toad Man

El Toad Man Tropical adventurer

Oddometer:
    That sucks! What a great road that was. I remember a good ride we did through there in '08.:evil

What is the condition of the road now? Are there bridges down, or areas of land slippage? Or did they just close it to "make it safe" :cry

[​IMG]
    Some good pics of this great road:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380516

BTW, I just emailed the council a constructive arguement ;)
  10. Reefdog

Reefdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    sounds like they have closed the access from the coast then,,BASTARDS
    Blenco falls may be accessable via the mt Garnet side past Gunnawarra stn

the Quaid rd is locked at both ends,,a mate of mine in Mareeba had a contract up that road and had the keys so got to do it back in 2001,,,beautiful black top road,,much better than the Kuranda range road
    lots of wilflife,even saw cassowarries and their nests,,,amazing

below are the LAT/LONG for google earth if you want to see where it is
    16°47'14.89"S 145°21'8.05"E west side entry to quaids rd

16°39'42.31"S 145°33'59.26"E coast side entry to quaids rd
  11. philth

philth www.motorbikin.com.au

Oddometer:
    has the west side of quade road got a big network of steep rocky tracks full of quads and unregistered motocrossers called black mountain or somethin?
  12. outback jack

outback jack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haven't heard of that one, there is a Black Mountain up near Julaten out the back of Cairns, don't know what's there though. Are you looking for Tiger taming trails, i got some for ya! :augie
  13. Dee Cee

Dee Cee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So the safteycrats are at it again. We used to travel up and down this road quite a bit. A good ride was to go down the "H" road and come out near Tully, ride down to the Kennedy pub, have lunch and then up Kirrama and then along past Koombaloomba Dam along the Culpa Rd and then onto Tully Falls Rd and back to Ravenshoe. The "H" road was also closed years ago be the forestry with some pressure from the world heratige people, there was a land slip and a big rock was sitting in the middle of the road that stopped all the fourbees getting thru but two wheelers were fine but that too ended eventually. The views on some of these rides were absolutely breathtaking. We held an enduro one year and one of the riders from Cairns said he just had to stop and take in the view he was trying to ride past without being destracted. Lived in Ravenshoe for 13 years in the 80s and 90s, top bike country before all the authorities started to shut everything. World Heratige Listing certainly started the ball rolling in that regard. Quaid road was put in by Dennis Quaid, a big develeper real estate type in Cairns, I think it is between Mareeba and Mt Molly north of Mareeba. We used to camp at Blenco Falls on some two day rides. If you think Blenco are spectacular you should see Cannabullen Falls off the side of the "H" road. One of the highest in Aus, but that ride has also been turned into a World Heratige Walking track. Philth I think the rocky track you are talking about used to be called "The Bump Track" it was an old Cobb and Co track so I was lead to believe and it went from Mowbray River south of Port Douglas and eventually meet up with Black Mountain Rd which came out at Karandu above Cairns. There used to be some old railway bridges along this track that were not for the faint hearted.
    I will send an email as well.:D
  14. Killa Meter

Killa Meter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Tags, is this the Kennedy ride that the Dsmra do, I could be wrong but I think they are the only ones who have permission to ride there now .Could be a totally different track though ,somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
  15. noeyedear

noeyedear Adventurer

Oddometer:

There is some very fond memories mentioned there - we used to camp at the campground at the bottom of the H track and ride it fairly regularly back in the late '80's & early '90's . Also there was a track that branched off 3/4 of the way up that spat you back out on the Palmerston range - Beautiful riding country indeed. I'll just try and attach a copy of a photo of some of us having a play at the top of the H track where it hits bitumen.

H Track 1.jpg
  16. galbo950

galbo950 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the area your thinking of Philth is 7 hills. Its on Quad's road on the western end. Good dry rocky tracks through the hills.

17. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, and another two locked gates in the middle. Two of the gates are so high you can lean a (400cc) bike side ways a bit and roll it under. The other gates can be ridden around without too much trouble. A nice scenic ride, but it's just a particularly poorly maintained slab. Good way to access some trails but not much of a ride by itself except for the scenery (which isn't really any better than all the other roads major in the area).

Yep! It's called Seven Hills. I've been there once and it was top riding. Flat sandy tracks full of ruts and jumps, and big rocky hill climbs that would be impossible if the rocks didn't create so much grip. I only saw a small fraction of the place, and intend to go back one day:

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&amp;ll=-16.794989,145.38075&amp;spn=0.012777,0.022724&amp;t=h&amp;z=16&amp;vpsrc=6&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&amp;ll=-16.794989,145.38075&amp;spn=0.012777,0.022724&amp;t=h&amp;z=16&amp;vpsrc=6&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>
  18. Reefdog

Reefdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Abhibeckert

It was a great road back in 2001, but the wets would take a toll on it

cheers
    reef
  19. Dee Cee

Dee Cee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That would be Sutties Gap Road at the top in a district known as the Malaan, lots of diary farms around. We would have just about crossed paths back then. The other turn off took you back down on the Johnstone River where all the march flies used to hang out:eek1
  20. dirt rider X

dirt rider X tropical traveller

Oddometer:
    they have pulled the timber decks off a couple of the bridges but its still rideable on a bike I'm told. (not legally)
    The Culpa track was hammered by Yasi and I doubt it will ever be passable to motor bikes again unless some machinery was allowed in there. Unlikely as its under Wet Tropics jurisdiction. Its part of our cultural heritage but we arent black fellas so stiff cheese.
    The Red Rd also is littered with blown over trees making it practically impassable.
    The DSMRA like everyone else does not have permission to traverse the
    Kirrama Range Rd.
    Its interesting that a team of guys spent probably 6 months full time clearing the range road after Yasi using bobcats, mini excavators, chain saws and chippers. I dont know who funded them.