Kitsapjoe To Alaska

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by kitsapjoe, Jun 8, 2019.

1. kitsapjoe

kitsapjoe Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Day 3
    Smithers BC to Dease Lake BC 371 miles only a few in the rain.

Great day started with great sleep at the Aspen Inn and Suites. The bed was great and the breakfast voucher covered the meal.
    Left town in the rain but it let off shortly thereafter. Today was a riders day, the road west from Smithers all the way to the Cassiar Hwy was very nice. The road up the Cassiar was even better. What a great place to ride.

Did'nt lose any more equipment and the bike ran great. With all the rain I've been extra diligent with chain maintenance. I pull pictures off my video so here they are.
    Pic 1.PNG Pic 2.JPG Pic 3.JPG Pic 4.JPG Pic 7.JPG Pic5.JPG
  2. kitsapjoe

Oddometer:
    I will be in Fairbanks on the 13th. I have a few day buffer to hope for good weather. If weather is not good I'll plan a different place to visit.
  3. kitsapjoe

Oddometer:
    Yes, sorry if I confused anyone, it's Dust to Dawson. Looking forward to meeting you.
  4. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sweet man!! Keep going and looking good! Cheers!
    kitsapjoe likes this.
  5. kitsapjoe

Oddometer:
    Day 4
    Dease Lake BC to Haines Junction YT 505 miles

A long day: Left at 0530 so that I could get to Haines Jct early in the afternoon. I prefer the early starts makes for an early arrival and lodging that is not all full.

Bike ran great with my early arrival I'll do a full check on all of the key areas. Oil, tires, chain, suspension and others just make sure all is good. I brought extra oil and clean the chain each day.

Today was one of those good ones, no drama to report. Just some pics that I pulled off my video. Tomorrow to Fairbanks with another early departure and 500 miles. This should be the last long day, for me over 400 is long. I've done the 1k mile days before, not again, unless in an emergency.

Met a Fox that I beleve was ill not sure these animals hang around when a bike rolls by. The first pic is two moose's (dark specs)
    Pic 1.JPG Pic 2.JPG Pic 3.JPG Pic 4.JPG Pic 5.JPG Pic 6.JPG Pic 7.JPG
    mikegc, black 8, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  6. kitsapjoe

Oddometer:
    Day 5
    Haines Jct to Fairbanks AK 496 miles.

Great ride today, started off at 0600 in the rain for about 3 hours. I've become accustomed to the rain so it's not a bother anymore. I do notice my back tightens up sooner when in the damp, cold conditions. By the time I got to the border crossing the weather was great, almost warm, sure made my baack feel better.

No extarordinary events today, which is how I like it. Just real good riding with the occasional biker sighting. The 1200 and 1250 GS's were out in force today. The border crossing was fantastic with a fellow rider running the gate. He gave me some good ideas for my contiuned journey, not sure if he's an inmate but if he is, Thanks.

Enough typing here are today's pics.
    Pic 1.JPG Pic 2.JPG Pic 3.JPG Pic 4.JPG Pic 5.JPG Pic 6.JPG Pic 7.JPG Pic 8.JPG Pic 9.JPG Pic 10.JPG
  7. kitsapjoe

Oddometer:
    Day 6 6/14/19
    Fairbanks to Coldfoot 271 miles

Sorry for the delay in posting, I've been out of Wifi capability for a few days.

Great day to ride, first sunny day of the trip. I only saw a touch of rain in Coldfoot after I arrived. My timing into Coldfoot was perfect/lucky a bad storm ahd just gone through and I met some of the folks that had to survive its wrath.

On the trip up I came across two Lynx that were just walking along the road. By the the time I recorded them they were harder to see, but i'll post the two best snips I could get from the video.

Met Sheila, the volunteer that gives out Artic Circle certificates, got mine. She was great to talk to and was full of local information. I also met Gary at the Yukon River Camp lodge, great human being and a pleasure to converse with.

Once I reached Coldfoot I met a cast of great people doing greast things. Johnny was riding his 01 GS and we chatted for most of the evening while others joined in as they began to arrive. Johnny was already coming from the north and shared all of the horror stories of the storm he and other rode through.

The next cast members to join were Scotland and Nate, They are test riding 1200 Tigers and also raising funds for their charity group, great work. As well as criticing the motorcycles for Triumph.

Also joining in on the fun were "H" and Kyle along with Wolfgang and his wife, sorry I forgot her name. All wonderful people.

H and I hit it off well and scheduled our ride up north in the morning together, better to ride in a small group. After a few greetings we also joined up with Wolfgang and Kyle to ride up. Fantastic a good group of like minded people doing something fun.

During our evening conversations we found out H was finishing his tip of Argentina to North Alaska tour on this leg. I was honored to be part of it, and was happy to have made a real good friend in the process.

Everybody was aware of my camera issue, because I can't stop talking so they all got my contact info to send me copies of the pictures they took.

Friday evening was one of those special times when people of completely different backgrounds and from around the world come together to share a common love. MOTORCYCLING

Her are Friday's pics:
    Pic 1.JPG Pic 2.JPG Pic 3.JPG Pic 4.JPG Pic 5.JPG Pic 6.JPG Pic 7.JPG
    B10Dave, Oldschoolrocker and greg.279 like this.
  8. kitsapjoe

Oddometer:
    Day 7 6/15/19
    Coldfoot to Deadhorse 242 miles

This was first group ride of my journey. I couldn't hav asked for better folks to go with. All of us were in agreement that slow and steady was our desire. None us us had been here before so we wanted to enjoy every moment and do it safely.

H was selected as the lead bike and Wolfgang would bring up the rear with me and Kyle in order behind H. We start right after 0700 breakfast. We were on the road at 0830 at 35 to 40 MPH. We determined we wanted to take all day to make the journey. we were unsure of the road since wednesday snow and rain mix. There was some mud in places but all was very easy to navigate.

The weather was partly cloudy in the AM but cleared out quickly. We all worked well together the entire way and got some great pictures.
    Pic 1.JPG Pic 2.JPG Pic 3.JPG Pic 4.JPG Pic 5.JPG Pic 6.JPG Pic 7.JPG Pic 8.JPG IMG_6895.JPG Pic 9.JPG
    B10Dave, Amphib, Bigbob1 and 2 others like this.
  9. kitsapjoe

Oddometer:
    Day 8 6/16/19 Happy Fathers Day
    Was going to go Deadhorse to Coldfoot ended up going all the way to Fairbanks 513 Miles

The ride was great all due to great weather. 45 in deadhorse at 0800 amazing, 80 in coldfoot at 1300.

I was all settled in at the balcony of the office/restaurant in Coldfoot when a group of rentals arrived and ruined the environment. I will not name the tour company but they had no control over the idiots in this group. One rode his bike down the pedestrian path from the hotel section back to the office. The other was so proud that he passed the Pilot car at one of the work zones. He claims the driver flagged him by but I wasn't buying it. And another talking about hitting 100mph on the Dalton to catch up. Anyways they continued their stupid ways as I sat there with a local wondering why these guys were such douche bags.

I had enough, I loaded up a left for Fairbanks. I also changed my Dawson City plans to get in and out before the event begins.

Pictures for Sunday below.
    Pic 1.JPG Pic 2.JPG Pic 3.JPG Pic 4.JPG Pic 5.JPG Pic 6.JPG
    B10Dave, Oldschoolrocker and greg.279 like this.
  10. kitsapjoe

Oddometer:
    Day 9 6/17/19
    Fairbanks to Dawson City 390 miles

Back in the rain, just south of Fairbanks the clouds opened up. I took fewer minutes of video because of it. But I was recording when a Moose cow and baby walk across the road. Picture below may be too far away to be clear. The ride today was beautiful but wet and slippery. The road from Chicken to the Eagle turn off was slick as snot. I was not going to be recording during this as all my concentration was on staying up.

Met a rider named John from Florida, he was on the way to chicken on his RT. He was not going onto Canada, so we sat and talked in the diner and had pie and coffee. It was a pleasure to meet him. we parted ways and I headed east to the border.

The crossing was easy and quick. I did have to rescrape the dirt of my plates so he could read it.

Dawson City is cute but a complete tourist trap. Worth the visit if you like old buildings and are interested in the mining industry.

Pictures below:
    Pic 1.JPG Pic 2.JPG Pic 3.JPG Pic 4.JPG
    B10Dave, Amphib, boristhebold and 2 others like this.
  11. pyrosuperman

pyrosuperman n00b

Oddometer:
    @kitsapjoe it was Wolfgang and Gabi. Glad I found you post.
  12. kitsapjoe

Oddometer:
    Pic 1.JPG Pic 2.JPG Pic 3.JPG Pic 4.JPG Pic 5.JPG Pic 6.JPG Day 10 6/18/19
    Dawson City to Red Goat Lodge South of Iskut on the Cassiar. 788 miles

Lots of miles today with just a few minutes of video. I'll post pictures of this day when I process the next days too. Long day just want to rest tonight. All is going well, bike and rider are happy. Hard to believe the best weather so far was on the Dalton.

Lots of bike passed me today. Saw plenty of KTM's and KLR's followed by 100,000,000 1200 GS's all headed for Starbucks or Tim Horton.
    B10Dave and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  13. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    Aloha Kitsapjoe

I'm glad I came across your RR. I used to live in Port Orchard. (Actually, just off Anderson Hill Road, so probably closer to Beautiful Downtown Gorst). Did you take the side trip off the Cassier to Hyder? That's my destination next year.

Looks like a pretty cool trip. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your adventure. Rubber side down!

doc
    kitsapjoe likes this.
  14. kitsapjoe

Oddometer:
    Hi rkover1, thanks for checking in. I appreciate the time you took to respond. I did not make the short side trip to Hyder. I need to save locations for my next adventure. The goal was Prudhoe and back safely, with notes taken for future rides.

Mahalo
    rkover1 likes this.
  15. kitsapjoe

Oddometer:
    Day 11 6/19/19

Red Goat Lodge (Iskut BC) to Williams Lake BC 689 Miles

After yesterdays long journey I decided to do a fewer miles today but not by much. I had figured a stop in Prince George but decided it was to early to stop and would make for a long ride if I decided to make it home the next day. So based on that I decided to continue.

If you are on the Cassiar and are looking for a great location for a great nights sleep, roll into the red goat lodge it is wonderful. They don;t have a restaurant so eat before you arrive.

I had to break out the Cruz Tool Kit to tighten up a loose headlight guard. Pic below
    Pic 7.JPG Pic 8.JPG Pic 9.JPG Pic 10.JPG Pic 11.JPG Pic 12.JPG
  16. kitsapjoe

Oddometer:
    Day 12 Final Day
    Williams Lake to Port Orchard WA 488 Miles

Very simple goal today be home. Get to the Edmonds to Kingston ferry so that I did not have to drive through the mess that is Seattle.

Left early and waited for breakfast until I got south of Cache Creek. Stopped at the Esso station with attached Tim Horton's, perfect. After a yummy breakfast bagel, jalapeno and Asiago cheese with egg and bacon and a honey cruller and black coffee.

Border crossing was easy and about 30 minutes at the Sumas point of entry.

I read through the whole report before this last entry and my thoughts were, well for a first effort not too bad but I learned allot from this effort. The most obvious was that writting a report while on the road is difficult. You really don't have much time to edit and proof read the work. You always find things you forgot to mention or it just doesn't read well.

I may try just taking notes and doing the report after the return. But on second thought the at the moment memories are best reported immediately.

Hope you enjoyed it, I know I will for year to come. Thanks ADV Rider for a place to record an important part of my life.

Last set of Pics below.
    Pic 1.JPG Pic 2.JPG Pic 3.JPG Pic 4.JPG Pic 5.JPG pic 6.JPG Pic 7.JPG Pic 8.JPG
    LoFlow, B10Dave and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  17. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed the trip Joe; thanks for taking me along.