Kiwi buying motorcycle in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by hondav2, Sep 29, 2019.

1. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    Im thinking of going to Canada for motorcycle tour with my wife. What costs are I up for regarding change of ownership and registration . Or would it be easier to purchase in USA. Thanks Toddy
  2. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Costs are dependant on which province you purchase in. It is done differently in each province.
    Newfoundland has no inspections but a sales tax is levied each time a machine is sold and registered to a new owner at 15% of the sale price. Yes, it is a bullshit money grab but the price is decided between the buyer and seller in private transactions. Buying from a dealer tax is paid (15%) and registration ($90) is transferred but proof of insurance is required.
  3. matt.the.ogre

matt.the.ogre Fair-minded Villian Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buying in the USA varies from state to state also. Likely you’ll pay state sales tax, which varies, and then a registration fee of around $100 for a year of ownership. Oregon has no state sales tax. Other states might be the same.
  4. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well it is basically winter in Canada now so next year.

You can score better deals on bikes in the winter season, say this time of year. But there can be less selection. Come closer to spring the prices ease up again. Pick a start point. you could start at Halifax, Nova Scotia or West coast. Sorta natural starting points. What model of bike you want?
  5. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC
    Buying in the US or Canada is usually the easy part of the package if money is not an issue. Registration and insurance is usually a bigger issue if you DO NOT have a local drivers license and/or a local residential address where you plan to purchase, register & insure.

I am not aware of the easiest state or province for a non-resident to register and insure, but maybe others who have done that can pipe up.

Cheers
  6. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Aren't you Andi's buddy?

What are your requirements for a motorcycle?Lots of cheap Hondas for sale in the east.Cheap....reliable and somewhat disposable.
  7. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    Yes Im Andi's buddy. Last time I heard he was in Tijackistan . Looking to either buy in BC or western or central USA. DL650 with Luggage is preferred ride .
  8. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    DL 650? I am on the way back to BC,been away for 3 months.I can ask around.My friend may be ready for an upgrade.Big guy....kind of dwarfs the 650.
    In the $3-4000 range in BC for mid/2000s?
    More info into buying in Canada.And links to the usual websites:

https://backcountrycanadatravel.com/car-buying-tips-tourists-canada/

Yeah....been a while but I know Andi.:-)
  9. ztaj

ztaj jatz

Oddometer:
    FWIW...
    I bought a bike through a dealer, it was just easier, as craigslist wouldn't let me contact any sellers. I paid the money, met the ICBC man in store,who lightened my wallet considerably, and rode away.
    I needed to have an address but that was about it. I also had an international driving permit and letters from my NZ insurance companies stating my insurance history.
    Steve G. likes this.
  10. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    I’ve helped a rider do this here in Alberta. He had his insurance sorted before he got here and I found him a bike ahead of time.

All he needed was an address. I let him use mine. He rode the wheels off that bike for miles and miles, then sold it at a profit. There is no tax on purchase here EDIT( no tax on private deals, if you buy from a dealership it's 5% new or used machine) or inspection requirements. Insurance will depend on who you go with (private insurance in Alberta many to pick from and usually 1/4 the price of BC) and registration will run you $50 for the year.

I’ve got a bike I’m pondering parting with that might fit your needs. I’ll PM you.
    squonker and Steve G. like this.
  11. tbas3

tbas3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One thing to consider. If you buy a bike in Nova Scotia versus British Columbia. Insurance is way cheaper in the east. I have a 650 and my insurance recently went way up but its still about $250 a year. From what I have heard that is far less than out west. Now one negative is we have to have our vehicles inspected every 2 years. Not an issue if you are planning on being here for less than that. It could be an issue if you are on the other side of the country and the inspection is due.
    Steve G. likes this.
  12. phplemel

phplemel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why not start your tour in the Yukon? A short 2 hr flight from Vancouver. Ride Yukon, Alaska in May/June then head south. I'm thinking selling my Super Tenere , these bikes are super reliable, extremely capable of off pavement touring and cover paved touring better than anything I've owned.
    Are you riding 2 up? camping? Depending on size's I could help with gear & equipment. My bike is FULLY equipped and ready to go in the spring
    email me if it's something of interest