Kiwi Dreams - Europe & Morocco 2014

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by young1, Apr 17, 2014.

1. cold comfort

cold comfort Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great pics there, a very exciting day out. A very tidy example of the Kawasaki too. Tidier than mine, but just as lethal. If only I had kept it, or even the 900. Both worth a few bob now!:cry
  2. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very cool, glad to see Leanne arrived ok. We were figuring this morning that she would be arriving there and how long it had been since we dropped her at the airport, and she had been in a plane seat the whole time:eek1
    Stil hard to believe, Mike on a Beemer :D not quite an airhead, but you have to work down to that :D
  3. nunoajc

nunoajc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is great to see you are having fun. I hope you enjoy the track. I have done some trackdays (in car) in Estoril and is a very nice track.

As promise , and sorry for delay i give some info about the A22- Via do Infante.
    Is a toll road with ellectronic tolls, no tollbooth.

"How it works: Toll payment is based on a small transponder which is linked to your Portuguese bank account, and debited within a day or two of every passage, which is fine if you are a resident with a Portuguese bank account.

The alternative is to pay your tolls at the Post Office or Pay Shop, which must be done within five days, but only after 48 hours have transpired. That's ok if you have a rent-a-car with Portuguese plates, but you cannot post-pay your tolls if you have foreign number plates. The official answer is "wait until we write to you at your address back home", the reality is that we don't know anyone (yet) who has received such a letter. So, if you are a visitor, how do you pay, where do you pay, what will it cost?

Foreign license plate veicules tend to do this( except the spanish) Since you only live in the other side of the world and if the Portuguese autorities cannot get you address or fiscal number, you may be lucky and dont pay anything. but i dont advise to do that.

Pre Paid Passes: If you have a foreign registered car, there are alternative options.

Option One: You can purchase a pre-paid pass, valid for 3 days from any Post Office (and they are very clued up on the whole situation). A three day pass costs Euros 20 for a normal car, and is for unlimited tolls along the whole motorway for the three (consecutive) days you specify. You can only purchase six of these passes every year.

Pre Paid Airport trip. You can also buy a one way or return journey pre paid ticket for a trip to: Faro Airport (via A22). Francisco Sá Carneiro Airport (Porto) (via A28/A41); or Francisco Sá Carneiro Airport (via A41/A42) from any Post Office

Option Two is to purchase a five day pass, again from any Post Office, The cost is Euros 10 initially (or more), tolls must be pre-paid, so deposit enough to cover your expected journeys. As far as we can ascertain, you can only buy one of these, and you pay the normal toll charge, based on your journey. Refunds of unused tolls are possible, but we don't know anyone who has tried! You will get a receipt which you should display on your dashboard, and keep in a safe place thereafter. One reader has told us that he has been told that the unused part of his payment will be refunded to his Credit Card automatically once the toll road concessionaires have calculated what he has used in tolls."
    Source : http://www.theportugalnews.com/a22-algarve-tolls-what-you-need-to-know.

Or you can not use it at all , maybe is the easy way. Just be very carefull in EN125 . In case we meet up in Faro for a beer or dinner :beer and you have use the A22 you can note the value in Euros of each cross in the electronic tool and i can go to the post office pay that for you. I go to post Office almost every day, so is not a trouble.

[​IMG]

This is the electronic tools and with the price (is varies in each crossing) on that big blue board. The A22 from the exit of highway A2- autoestrada do Sul to faro is €1,70.

[​IMG]

Other source of Info : http://www.vialivre.pt/costsA22.aspx?title=Custo+das+Portagens+A22&idtitulo=costs

I hope Mike and Leanne have a lots of fun and enjoy this ride.
    Ride safe.

Off topic: :deal
    Did you know Faro is the Capital of Motorcycle? Every year takes place Problaby the largest biker concentration of europe. Is petty you arent even near to see this show. Who already came to Faro know what I mean.
    The program for this year.

[​IMG]

Please sorry the off-topic. :thumb:shog
  4. Dieselpwr

Dieselpwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The tolls in Portugal are ridiculous for visitors. I'm at the post office every couple days when I go visit. At least on the A1, you have the option to pay the toll when you take the exit. The other option is to take the "Estrada velha" (back roads) when they are available.
    Either way I love my home country and can't wait to go back in August.
  5. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Nunoajc

Tolls, hmmmm. Last night we went through the toll "gate" for those with a transponder, of course we don't have one of those! We are only in Portugal for 4 more nights and hope the authorities are confused with our Kiwi number plate and don't catch up with us within that time. Hopefully....
  6. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry no bike or touristy photos today, as Leanne needed to recover from her long flight we stayed in Alenquer, a town about 30 kms from Lisbon, where Carlos and Catarina live. We walked around the hills and the little town before meeting Catarina for lunch at 2.00pm.

We had a delightful lunch with her that started with fine food and Portugese wine.

[​IMG]

As the afternoon developed more wine was drunk before I decided that we should try the port

[​IMG]

Somehow from there a pack of cards was produced and we ended up playing cards with the owner of the bar and one of the locals. In hindsight maybe we should have stopped around 6.00pm when the Muscatel came out!

[​IMG]

A top day meeting locals, trying local wine and port etc.

Tomorrow we will go to Lisbon.
  7. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You met Jose and Pilar at our place, a Spanish couple who returned home to Spain approx 4 weeks ago.

In Lisbon we are with Carlos and Catarina, a link to Carlos' motorcycle business is http://www.motoxplorers.com

They are an awesome couple :-)
  8. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We rode into Lisbon this morning and left KT outside Motoxplorers shop and grabbed a taxi further into town.

There is a wonderful tram circuit that winds its way up and down quite steep hills and around tight corners. A feature of the city, long may it remain. Tram 28 is well known by the tourists due to the torturous route it takes. We walked part of the route to beat the crowds and got the tram at the top. When we got to the end of the line we were hopelessly lost...

Here is one of the trams near the city centre

[​IMG]

Lisbon will shortly host the champions (?) league final and there is lots happening around the city to promote it. Here is Leanne in the Praca do Comercio, the sea is right behind me. You can see the blue advertising etc behind her

[​IMG]

We then experienced busy motorway traffic for the 30km ride back to our base
  9. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today we explored the town of Sintra. A beautiful little town on the outskirts of Lisbon. The town has many royal retreats, castles and old buildings.

The highlight for us was the Moorish castle that is sits high above the town, it dates from the 8th to 9th centuries. It was a nice walk up there from the town.

This is the view of Sintra from the castle

[​IMG]

Leanne high up

[​IMG]

We have changed our plan slightly, we will now stay in Lisbon one extra day and then go direct to Seville on Thursday. Also we will now have Saturday night in Tarifa and get the early morning ferry to Morocco on Sunday and then have our first night in Fez.
  10. Micawberism

Micawberism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ahh the life style of the unemployed :D
    When I grow up I want to be you :clap
  11. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You grow up Colin? Never :-)
  12. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tomorrow we will leave Portugal with a touch of sadness. We have seen some beautiful sites etc but what will forever be in our memory is the friendliness of the Portugese people. Outstanding!

While we will be saying goodbye we both know that we will be back one day.

We particularly want to thank Carlos and Catarina for their amazing hospitality and generosity. We have also been lucky to meet Carlos' business partners in their moto xplorers business, a top group of people. If any of you are planning a trip and need a bike, a tour organised etc I thoroughly recommend them (their website is http://www.motoxplorers.com )

Today has been my birthday and we went to one of the local cafés for tea and met more of the locals. As you can see we were introduced to snails (yes mum I did try one!)

[​IMG]

So back on the bike tomorrow with a big day to Seville, here is hoping we can get Leanne's gear stashed away.
  13. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much for the nice words, Mike! We are sorry we couldn't find some more time to show you a bit more of Portugal. It was very special knowing you guys. I am sure of two things: you're going to love Morocco and we'll meet again!

Mike and Leanne saying goodbye to the furred friends:
    [​IMG]

Final check of the luggage (they are quite light, considering they're two up with full camping gear, hey?!):
    [​IMG]

And they're ready!
    [​IMG]

Sun is shining, temp is right and Africa is waiting. Off they go!
    [​IMG]

Be safe!
  14. nunoajc

nunoajc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have a Nice trip. Im glad you enjoy our country.
    Ride safe
  15. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Carlos for posting the pictures (when I packed the bags etc this morning I have a feeling that, not that I will admit this to Leanne, I have more stuff than her...)

Nunoajc, thank you also for keeping a distant "eye" on us.

Before I give a brief summary of today's ride, one thing that I found strange in Portugal was the sensor lights in the bathrooms / toilets. They seem to be set to go off if there is no movement for approx 10 seconds. How, when you are standing at a urinal, do you keep moving to keep the lights on?

Carlos suggested an excellent route for us that for most of the day kept us away from toll roads and motorways. The highlight was the town of Serpa where we stopped for lunch. This is the view coming into the town

[​IMG]

It is lucky that the panniers aren't any wider otherwise we may not have fitted through the gate of the old town

[​IMG]

We also saw fields full of Sunflowers, beautiful.

Our last night in Portugal involved some fine port, our first night in Seville has included Sangria :-)

Tomorrow KT will stay parked and we will explore Seville and hopefully take in some Flamenco dancing tomorrow night (I wonder if I can encourage Leanne to try it!)
  16. MKJ

MKJ Married w/ Children

Oddometer:

More famous than Hilary? hmmmmmm.................
  17. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are right there is no comparison (Sir Edmund Hillary along with Sherpa Tenzing were the first to climb Mt Everest). Hillary then went on to do so much more, other expeditions (including to the South Pole) and a lifetime of work helping the Sherpa people.
  18. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thus is a beautiful city with the parks, river, monuments, fountains and churches. On top of that every second shop appears tp be a tapas bar (very hard to walk past!). I bet that when the Spanish have something to celebrate (like the last football World Cup) that this place would really go off. It would be great to experience that.

Today we did the hop on / hop off tourist bus thing, most enjoyable. Life is obviously more than motorbikes, bars and gorgeous women (Spain has them all) there is also the culture, we took some in at the art museum. Here is my resident art expert......

[​IMG]

(Can any of you name that work from the 16th century?)

In the centre of the city is the enormous Seville Cathedral, construction started in 1402 and was completed over 100 years later (see I do listen mum!). It is so big that photos (well mine at least) don't do it justice.

[​IMG]

Leanne got "caught" today by a woman wanting to give her a piece of Rosemary and bless her etc, I of course pretended not to understand and kept walking. After Leanne was blessed there was of course a discussion about money ha ha

[​IMG]

Tomorrow we head to Tarifa, first stop will be to buy our ferry tickets to Morocco, EXCITING!
  19. Ajoy0000

Ajoy0000 n00b

Oddometer:
    We hope to follow in your footsteps next summer, are you playing by ear for lodging or have you reserved spots in Venice and Rome?
    Keep living the dream!!
  20. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are using www.airbnb.com, so far all the places I have stayed have been good. It is much nicer staying with locals verses a hotel. We are booking a couple of days out, although for Rome we have already booked as we know we have to be there on a certain date (for Leanne to fly home) and wanted somewhere special because of that.