Kiwi Mostly On Topic - Off Topic Chat Thread.

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Shaggie, Feb 1, 2012.

1. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Already have one of those, 'cept its yellow:). If I had one I would use the big Trumpy to ride down to where it lives. Hence would seriously consider the GT version. Although it weighs the same as my vstrom so theoretically i can take anywhere im game to go now.

If i were to buy one that is. Which I am trying not to think about.
    EVLED likes this.
  2. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    I thought those things were supposed to make good power for a 250? Shouldn't have been a surprise. Did he even get it run in enough to get full power?

Small bikes are an acquired taste though. I know lots of people on litre-class bikes that have no interest in a 600. They just want to twist that throttle RIGHT NOW and not have to worry about what gear they're in. Ditto for 450 vs 250 dirt-squirts. They know they'd be quicker on the smaller bike but are addicted to the arm-wrenching big-bore power.

I'm sorta in that boat right now, looking at swapping the 1190 for a 790. At least the 790 still has some semblance of big-bore cred.
  3. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    it was more it didn't have the extra punch to get out of trouble if required. He was happy enough with it off road. He didn't feel safe on public roads on it.....surprising as Kiwi's are some of the best drivers in the world :mulie
  4. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    A WR250R is safe enough on NZ roads, it'll cruise along at 100ish just fine. Doesn't mean it's fun though, I can see where ya bro is coming from. To me one of the enjoyable things about travelling by motorbike is that you have many more opportunities to pass slower traffic, you can do your own pace without being stuck behind a camper or a smoky truck for 20km. Trouble is, anything similar with more poke is a lot taller, &/or a lot heavier, & generally much more expensive as well.

Cheers
    Clint
  5. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    A passed a (moving the same direction in a 100km/h zone) cop on mine 2 weekends ago ;)

And so did a mate on his. They are speed machines...
    glitch_oz likes this.
  6. EVLED

Oddometer:
    Ok, enough lusting over WR250's...back to insurance...

My insurance came for the ute and they put it up a staggering 17%. I've told them that's too much and they're not moving so I'm looking elsewhere.

Checked out State's online quote thing and I can save around $90 a year but the online quote system is poo and breaks every telling you to call them. And they are not answering the phones at all (over 50mins on hold).

Before I got looking further. Who should I check out or avoid?
  7. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo Long timer

Oddometer:
    This will be very interesting.

But if it helps, for me someone who answers the phone would be a starter.
  8. EVLED

Oddometer:
    Yeah that ain't happening and I'm sure I've gone past their operating hours but the system is keeping me on hold...what's it cost them on their phone bill for a 70min cellphone to 0800 number call?
  9. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    They add it to your premium when you're not looking?
    glitch_oz likes this.
  10. EVLED

Oddometer:
    Probably.
  11. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    I realise not helpful to all, but we've joined a couple of co-op's since moving back from Oz. Farmlands are geared towards what we're trying to achieve and this month we'll be moving the Hilux over to an existing FMG policy and will get a discount being a Farmlands shareholder.

No trouble getting hold of an actual english speaking Kiwi on the phone either.
  12. NZSpokes

NZSpokes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im looking for an upgrade for my beloveds XT225. I even dynoed it to help it keep up. But 19.5hp just aint enough. Finding something with more go but not more seat height is next to impossible. Maybe I should put a CR500 motor in it.

New 390 ADV is way too tall for her.
  13. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    We have considered getting a 500EXC & lowering the buggery out it. Nice & light & when you have 300mm+ suspension you can chop out a lot & still have more left than many adv bikes. Would be a pretty expensive project though.

Cheers
    Clint
    dazzadm likes this.
  14. Underground

Underground unbefuckingbelievable

Oddometer:
    I've ridden Josh's lowered 500exc, they lower quite successfully by maybe 50mm. It was like riding a BMX with a V8 motor, They call them an 'old man's bike' because they make everything seem so easy.
    moto74, clintnz, innathyzit and 2 others like this.
  15. Underground

Underground unbefuckingbelievable

Oddometer:
    I don't usually insure anything but just got full insurance for 4 bikes for $600 pa from AON, there were some conditions, like being only able to ride one at a time... I got good communications out of this person annaliese.fowler@aon.com
    EVLED, Muzz67 and MrKiwi like this.
  16. NZSpokes

NZSpokes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use them as well. Saved $1k PA.
    Underground and EVLED like this.
  17. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Asking a favour. Anyone in Auckland with a lathe??

I bought a new exhaust for my strom and it sounds great most of the time but its just too loud when you're hard on the throttle. So the nice people at Cycleworks made me a baffle. Cos it was made without the muffler in the shop it doesn't insert into the muffle bore quite far enough, the locking bolt is kind of half in and half out so it could fall out. It just hits the inner perforated tube of the muffler. It needs about a 5mm length of the locking collar turned down by maybe 0.5mm dia so it misses the inner. I think it would be no more than 5 mins work for someone with a lathe, and who knows how to use it.

Happy to negotiate suitable recompense.
  18. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could it be done with a grinding belt/ wheel and a steady hand? Or is it visible?
  19. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
    Favour granted , you have my number.
  20. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir!!. Ill give you a buzz over the weekend.