Klim Adventure Rally vs Badlands Pro

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by rostov, Jan 15, 2020.

1. rostov

rostov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    You probably had it discussed before, but I could not find... Anyway, what are the reasons to pick one over another? I don't see much of a difference...

Thanks!
  2. mkccowboy

mkccowboy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can’t compare to the new Badlands Pro from wear experience but did have the prior Badlands and switched to the newest Adventure Rally. The D3O Xergo armor in Adv Rally was better than the D3O armor in the 2016 version of the Badlands and wrapped around shoulder and elbows providing better protection coverage. Also Adv Rally has Armacor throughout the jacket and had more and larger panels of Super Fabric on shoulders and elbows. The combination of Armacor and Super Fabric made the AR jacket heavy to pick up, but the internal harness makes it feel light once you have it on. I personally liked the fit of the AR vs the BL as it has adjustable external waist straps to make it more form fitting. Also many more pockets on AR. Fantastic jacket but pricey. Looking at new BL Pro specs, they have improved Super Fabric coverage on shoulder. Previous BL had Super Fabric on top of shoulder but didn’t cover upper arm where you are more apt to crash on. New Pro does cover upper arm by shoulder. Klim skimped a little on body of BL Pro some by going with lighter material to lighten jacket. In my opinion weight hasn’t been issue once it’s on due to the internal harness. I’ve tried the new BL Pro on but did not like how it fit me.
    Another thing of note is I find venting on the AR to be much better than the previous BL but can’t speak to the BL Pro venting. I’ve had the AR jacket for 3 years and still my go to jacket for off road riding and long trips.

Is the AR worth the extra $$$? For me it was but I also got a real nice discount when I purchased my bike so less of a difference.
    rostov likes this.
  3. rostov

rostov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply!
    I tried BL Pro at motorcycle show, and it did not fit - the LG was a bit small in chest, and XL was too big, long sleeves...
    I had a chat with Revzilla guy yesterday, and he said, that based on my needs (60/40 on/off road), both, BL and Adv Rally, are overkill. He recommended Latitude, but I don't like it. There is another version called Carlsbad, which is the same as Latitude, but sharpened for the offroad - I did not like the current version of it either, but they are releasing a new one in February, and I like it a lot, they addressed pretty much all dislikes that I have for current Latitude. I think I will be getting it as soon as released!
  4. mkccowboy

mkccowboy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree both are more suited to off road which I do a lot of. I had same issue with Badlands. Large too tight, XLG too big. AR fit me in a large like it was tailored for me, though in winter months I remove the chest protector to make room for heated vest and layering.
    Good luck
    rostov likes this.
  5. Garnet Grylls

Garnet Grylls Old Low and Slow

Oddometer:
    I chose the AR over the Badlands about 4 years ago so I can't speak to the latest version of either.

I had both pants shipped to me and took a couple of days of wearing them around the house to decide that even though the Badlands were a bit more comfortable and fit a bit better, I could not imagine sliding down the road at anything approaching hiway speed in them. The AR pants felt (and still do) bomb proof.

The Badlands were returned.
    rostov likes this.
  6. Urbandrag

Urbandrag KLiM Beotch!

Oddometer:
    I used to have a 2nd gen AR suit and a earlier version of the BL, two models before the current BL Pro.
    I wore the AR in long distance trips, on and off road, when it was an offroad trip, it was when it worked the best. The most hardcore action the better, many times I bit the dust, and I stood up right after, and the suit remained without a scratch. The armacor patches really make the AR suit bomb proof!. I really miss the many external pockets configuration. I take several pouches with me, like FAK, etc, and they fit like a glove in the pockets.
    But with the old BL, I didn't feel comfy or confident when riding offroad. So I left it for all onroad long trips only. Until I had an accident on April, 2018. The suit ended in the garbage, no, I'm lying, it was replaced by Klim gear protection guarantee, for a 2018 Badlands Pro.
    The new Badlands Pro is out of this world. It mixes the massive protection of the Adv Rally suit for offroad riding and the comfort of the older Badlands for long onroad trips. I still miss the external pockets. With this new suit, I left the AR suit go after 7 years of service to fund the purchase of the Mosko Moto gear.
    Another important improvement in the new Badlands Pro is ventilation and armor, in despite I can't get used to the chest protection pads.
    rostov likes this.