Klim Adventure Suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by osteo, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Word on the streets says June 1 for availability, and we will be all over this one. The pack harness feature addresses a huge annoyance for me....my pack, full of tubes, water, some tools, food, etc. weighs a ton and wears on me. Plus it acts as a big counter-weight, and makes it really hard to move around on the bike.

The price does make me dizzy, but any product that advances the tech of an entire category is welcome, it always ends up being better for riders.

Availability will be limited, I understand.

BP
  2. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    That's some nice gear.

But at that price point, is it 3 times better than many other choices, at one third the cost?

Hard to say, but unless I win the lotto, someone else gets to beta test this stuff. :D
  3. Snuffy

Snuffy Long timer

Oddometer:
    That jacket looks sweet but way out of my price range. Bummer.
  4. Gumbeaux

Gumbeaux The Chameleon Supporter

Oddometer:
    :tb
    Awesome. BUT...for serious offroading, most people I know like to use a "pressure suit" anyway so that the armor does not move around during a get-off. I am not sure those folks would be willing to shell out for something like this jacket with built in armor that would seemingly be a compromise from their pressure suit.

Wonder if they would make a version without armor?

LEATT compatability! 'bout time a real jacket accomodates that. My Desertika is ok, but it's just a shell.

for the 2000000005th time. It's pricey.
  5. TwoShots

TwoShots Vagabond

Oddometer:
    That's the truth.

It looks like another touring suit with too many pockets created more for the wanna-be McGregors/Boormans.

Perhaps if I buy one I can sit in my garage and take myself too seriously. Like this guy:

[​IMG]

"The Science of Adventure?" Oooooooooo..... let's ponder that.

Let's not.
  6. Kapp555

Kapp555 Better to be Offroad!

Oddometer:
    I could buy a nicely kitted DS for that! Certainly a DR or a KLR. That price is ludicrous! Thats $2366 USD!!
  7. ktm950se

ktm950se Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the write-up and pics osteo! :thumb
  8. xcgates

xcgates Whaaa?

Oddometer:
    And for the price of a KLR I could buy a couple of my bikes. Your point? There are all types of products at all sorts of price ranges.
  9. Reverse

Reverse Armchair Tough

Oddometer:
    Looks like a very nice suit. It has 'long' sizes for the pants? Me likey.
    It's a boatload of money, but if it lives up to the marketing, it could be worth it. It does have the latest and supposedly greatest technology in it: the Gore ziplocs and the hardening bubble armor, two features that have pushed prices up at other brands as well.
  10. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    How fitting the guy is sitting on a Beemer :lol3

I'm sure it's a beautiful bit of kit but one good off and it's knackered. There are much cheaper alternatives that offer the same level of protection and features.
  11. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:
    Can you show me which jacket and pants have the same features.
  12. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    This seems like the ultimate for Dakar/Baja - type rally riders. The gear whore in me is enthralled.

Utterly unsuitable for me and my riding, though.
  13. dwayne

dwayne Silly Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jeeze, while the straight up conversion is 2366, the reason why so many of us shop in the states is that gear comes in even lower than the straight conversion. a $360 Bushwacker jacket in Canada in USD, in the states in USD is about $250. If the cross boarder difference holds true that suit would come in closer to $1500 - $1800 USD. And yes that is still a more expensive suit, and still good value, from what I see.
  14. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    Yup, the pants come in Long as well.

Who really knows how well a piece of gear will hold up in a get off? as every incident is different. I know the material is much thicker than most of the stuff I have had in the past, so I'm confident in it.

D
  15. everywherevirtually

everywherevirtually In Omnibus Caritas

Oddometer:
    I think not. Craig bounds wore it in the Dakar this year. He had a broken sternum from a previous off before the Dakar and his internal organs had been displaced. So if nothing else it held him together in one piece.

It has D30 armour that is soft in normal use and the turns solid on impact. After the impact it returns to it's soft and flexible self again. There is a lot of science gone into this jacket :deal

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ix9jIN1KqD0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>
  16. newengland_gs_in_tx

newengland_gs_in_tx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "Moving to San Antonio this summer. Frozen tundra this winter, then TX summer. Should be fun"

xcgate ...

i did the new england to houston relocate about 6 yrs ago ... man it's tough ... it's hot riding down here in the summer heat & humidity. i'm trawling gear threads tonight because i've been suffering on summer rides with my 2 piece 'stich for too long. may have to find an xmas present for myself that's lighter/cooler/better vented (but it ain't gonna be a $2000+ solution!).

best of luck in the move and getting aclimated - took me a couple years.

negsntx
  17. wonky

wonky TETETETETETETETET

Oddometer:
    there is nothing like this suit.

All the other 'cheaper alternatives' are the same generic textile 'motorbike riding suit' with an 'adventure style' applied to them.

this suit is cut like off-road gear and designed 100% with riding function in mind.

You need to try it in the flesh. We've had a few people (like Osteo's wife) justifying the price to US having tried it on. If you look at the price of a top end skiing/mountainerring jacket it doesnt look bad!

With regard to toughness, the early prototypes had the bobbley substance Osteo described (Superfabric, epoxy balls bonded to the shell) on the inner legs. This stuff is so tough it was RUBBING THROUGH THE PLASTICS on bikes that had spent 5 weeks in Africa. It got swapped for leather in those areas........
    the rest of the main body is Gore Armacore which has Kevlar running through it.
    I seriously doubt any textile suit will ever come close.
  18. xcgates

xcgates Whaaa?

Oddometer:
    I'm currently looking at the kevlar mesh gear from Motoport. Quite expensive, likely to breach 2k if I add in some options, but especially if I package it in with the cost of buying a newer bike, and that I'll be commuting to a paying job, it should be pretty good.

I'm only worried about too much airflow in the mesh when it get really hot. But I can always put stuff on underneath. Kind of like winter up here, except the opposite problem :lol3

To get back to the original topic, why is anyone surprised about the price? BMW 1200 GS anyone? Any of the other 1200s? Why the heck would someone pay more than 15k for a bike? There are plenty of other bikes that do the same job!

The reason: a company sells a product at a certain price, with certain features, and the consumer decides if it is worth it. Maybe you want the $100 jacket, maybe the $250 suit from Teizm(sp?), one of a couple others I've heard in that price range, maybe the Aerostich, Motoport, Olympia Phantom, all are different prices with different features. If it isn't worth it to you, then don't buy it.
  19. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    It's a suit. Nothing more, nothing less. Sure it's nice but what does it offer that other, much cheaper, alternatives offer :ear

There is nothing revolutionary here - it's an armored, waterproof suit with packets on the back of the jacket, features available elsewhere for much less.
  20. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    I guess I'm missing something then :dunno

It's a very nice suit but I just don't see how the price can be justified. As I say, one good off in the dirt and it's done.