1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Klim Adventure Suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by osteo, Dec 3, 2009.

1. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    I can't ride as good as him. I'd be the other one.
  2. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    You mean Gregor McBoorman?

Me, too. :cry
  3. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    Really? Because lots of people in THIS THREAD seem to be asking for a jacket with more padding and features than the Valdez.
  4. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:

Geez Cody, you gotta remember that an Aerostich suit is all anyone could possibly need.

:rolleyes
  5. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    :lol3

And it never leaks right....:wink:
  6. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Exactly.

I mean, why improve upon perfection?

According to other threads, you can make a suit that has many more "features" or "benefits", but are they really "improvements"?

All you really ever will need can be found in a Aerostich suit. Appparently, Goldfine and company have attained the pinnacle of motorcycle touring apparel.

You may think you need something other than a Roadcrafter or a Darien, but c'mon, admit it, all that's just superfluous. If you really boil it down to your basic needs, Aerostich has it covered with these two suits. If you want something else, you're a poser and you wanna be Charlie McEwan. :gdog
  7. CodyY

Oddometer:
    :jack
  8. viatormundi

viatormundi Citizen of the world

Oddometer:
    This suit looks promising but as I wrote before air circulation in the hot climate is a must for me. The harness to carry all that stuff is definitely not interesting since I and many riders don't carry bunch of stuff on our selves. The consequences during a crash can be severe. During a competition situation that harness can be handy to caryy water, food etc but in a non-competitive adventure riding those things can be carried on the bike.
    The price is way too high. I understand the suit has a lot of R&D behind it with superb quality materials but at the end of the day, we should be able to afford it, right :D

The question is, can I convince my wife to buy this suit as a xmas present:lol3
  9. bomber60015

bomber60015 tikkun olam Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm thinkin the folks that DO need all the features will find a way to afford this suit . . . .

It's a chicken/egg thing -- the suit couild be less expensive if more folks ordered it, but more folks won't order it unless it drops in price . . . .

Imagine how much a Nikon would cost if only pros bought em.
  10. CodyY

Oddometer:
    Pyndon rode it across the Sahara. He says it's good. I've seen it in person, and you couldn't get more venting and still be weather and crash resistant. IMHO, YMMV, etc etc.
  11. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    :D
    Charlie can't afford to wear it either.

It doesn't say $BMW$ on it anywhere.:D
  12. viatormundi

Oddometer:
    Sounds good to hear that it ventilates good. From the pictures of Sahara ride, I can see that Pyndon used a body armour under the jacket. But I am curiuos about these d3o protections as well. Is there any other company using these protections or anybody has any experience of these protections?
  13. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:scratch
  14. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    FirstGear just started using it, pushing their jackets upwards of US$400.00 for the first time.
  15. CodyY

Oddometer:
    his was preproduction and didnt have the armor.
    3Do is the latest and greatest, im betting we will be seeing it in alot of it in the near future.
  16. viatormundi

Oddometer:
    I see. I would also prefer that the jacket has front pockets for chest protections. From what I can see, it doesn't. If it had those then a body armour wouldn't be so necessary.

Let's see how much this suit will cost in US and Europe. By the way, who sells Klim products in Europe or more specifically in Spain?
  17. kaosrider

kaosrider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gee I guess I can get by with that $50 helmet afterall :huh Helmets for $500-$700 was unthinkable 10-15 years ago. Now many hardly blink an eye. Snow gear used to be $50 now you can find jackets costing well over $500 just for a shell. High tech cost big dollars, weather your sport is snow skiing, sailboat racing or motorcycle rally/racing I have seen and paid big dollars for equipment/protective clothing. I started out in each sport at the low "Walmart" end of the spectrum. After many a miserable session enduring in the elements, I came to believe that if you enjoy that activity then having the proper equipment makes that activity more enjoyable and rewarding. By the same token, being in those type of conditions with the best gear available gives one an entirely different perspective. One where I enjoy the event and others are hating life and abandoning the event. Basically if you are risking your life day and night in extreme conditions it makes the Walmart purchase almost comical. $1,500 -$2,500, well I think my life is worth it, so yes I would like the option to be able to purchase top quality gear that could handle whatever I encountered.
    Plus I am sure in short order some China gear will come out just like it with "Goretex" like claims for say $289. :evil
    Klim has other gear reasonably priced, so I am guessing labels like goretex and other features demand their price. One of the other threads on boots had a new adventure boot I think by sidi, expected price was around $450. However, it was not goretex. All the bitching started demanding that these should be goretex and waterproof. The marketing folks replied that it would make the price too high and people would balk. There was a surprising number of folks saying they would pay the $800 for the goretex "feature" and that is sucked that they where giving in to the cheapseats.
    So this brings us back to the question, do you want a real adventure suit, or one that just looks like an adventure suit. :wink: And yes, some can get by on these same events with Walmart. And yes some can ride around the world on a chopper with no shocks. However it is nice to know that should we choose, we can go in more predictable comfort.
  18. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff Man of Mystery

Oddometer:
    excellent post, kaosrider.

This is the most advanced off-road/dual sport riding suit i have come across. i think the price is reasonable for what you are getting. From the looks of it (and that's about all we have to go on), Klim did not cut corners anywhere -- makes my Cayenne Pro look like a styling exercise.

Large patches of superfabric, heavy duty outer shell with real Goretex (seam sealed), built-in waterproof vents, fancy waterproof toothless zippers, 3do armor, a built in harness, leatt brace compatibility that maintains waterproofness, it is all leading technology top-notch stuff that is not inexpensive. Can't wait to see an eval/review of this kit. I am glad to see a no-compromises sort of suit.
  19. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:
    The negative comments to this kind of premium gear is pretty easy to understand. It is too expensive for many to own, so some have to react to it by pretending it is just like the cheaper products they bought for much less.

Nobody is fooled by that sort of statement.
  20. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    Well said. I did not realize I would stir such a varied discussion on this suit - but it is good to see!

I agree with Kaosrider - our first winter camping trip many years ago we purchased what we thought were -26C cold weather sleeping bags for about $150. As it turns out it was the coldest night where we were in many many years and we pretty much froze (-45C). Being a bunch of pig headed guys, we returned those shitty bags and purchased much more costly bags, now winter camping is somewhat enjoyable, and there is no chance of freezing, but we also have thousands of $$ in gear.

Is that not what they often say, "purchase the best you can afford" and in safety equipment I tend to do the same. An Arai DOT certified helmet is theoretically (and this is a big discussion in itself) the same as the $50 special No Name Brand DOT helmet. But which will you be more comfortable in, will enjoy wearing and have confidence in?

I have not seen that thread by Pyndon, going to have to read that!

Is it vented well? I think so, pits zips and vents on the back of the jacket and I'm pretty sure those big zippers on the chest are also vents same as the pants.

I also have a Valdez Parka and that is also a complaint of mine, no padding anywhere and no real protective (asphault grinding ability) to it - it really is just a Gore-Tex shell good for protection against the weather. I have a Mtn Hardware 3 Ply Gore-Tex climbing jacket that is of thicker material and would probably last longer in grinding. But this new bad boy is completely different.

D