1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Klim Adventure Suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by osteo, Dec 3, 2009.

1. wonky

wonky TETETETETETETETET

Oddometer:
    1. The harness system and integrated luggage is key to the venting system as much as it is to carry your gear.

If you have a brilliant venting jacket, then strap a 'foreign' object to it that pulls the vents closed and closes up all the air passageways than what have you got? a badly vented jacket!

2. The suit will be £1600 including taxes in the UK.
  2. TwoShots

TwoShots Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Dr. Phil.
  3. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Yeah, wondered when someone would mention the old 'jealousy' angle.
  4. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:
    And thank you for proving my piont.

You forgot to say it is too much money though:lol3
  5. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:

The analogy in women's products is cosmetics. Are the cosmetics in Saks / Macy's any better than the cosmetics in Walmart?

If you're not a fan of cosmetics, you don't care. Similarly, if you're not a fan high prices motorcycling clothes, you wouldn't care, either.

Never forget the power of marketing. Nor the power of greed...
  6. AllOrds

AllOrds -------------

Oddometer:
    WOW :eek1

I'm no Luddite when it comes to Gore-Tex, or the new materials, but surely someone in the marketing dept did a great snow job in getting this to production.Sure there's a royalty to be paid to Gore-Tex which impacts the price but at those prices i cant see too many stores stocking the outfit as it would just tie up so much money for them.

The harness doesnt even enter the equation for me. I like to travel light, with either a Kriega or camel back with 3lts/Kg of water and some snacks on board in its own carrier which by the way is a very comfortable harness. My Rally Pro suit vents very well in this configuration , the vents at the rear are at the sides, it has side vents at the front, and vents on the arms. No problems at all.I cant see that i would be "risking my life" anymore or less......The Klim may have ever so slightly more tear/abrasion resistance but the CE 1-2 certified armour in my BMW Pressure suit has saved my ass plenty, and even without the pressure suit the Rally`s amour and Cordura has been more than adequate.

What the long way down series of DVD`s have done for BMW R1200GS sales. Klim have now replicated it for BMW Gore-Tex Jackets. If the BMW gear looks expensive now,they will look like an absolute bargain in comparison.

Sorry, but me and my budget draw the line at around AUD $1000 for a top line Gore-Tex jacket.
  7. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:

Okay, so the suit’s not for you or your style of riding. :dunno

I’m no hardcore dirt rider like Cody or Pyndon, or the infamous Charlie McEwan, but it doesn’t change the fact that I’m stoopid hard on motorcycle equipment and clothing. I’m pushing the limits of a Rallye 2 Pro and before someone starts in on “you need an Aerostich”, the guys I’ve been riding with used to have Aerostiches and have retired them because they were trashed within a couple of years. I put myself in situations that a get-off isn’t a question of “if”, it’s “when” and, in spite of the flatbed truck of a motorcycle I ride, I don’t have enough space to bring along three different suits for the variety of terrains and climates I will ride in during a single trip. I’ve ridden in snow in April in South Carolina after leaving 80°F temps in Tennessee, I’ve ridden in rains where I elbowed for space with 18-wheelers to park under an overpass, I’ve crashed my brains out following Chris Jones on a gravel road in the bayous of Louisiana, I’ve crashed my brains out hard enough to shear the bolts off of the handlebar clamps in the mountains at the Arkansas / Missouri border chasing Sunman and Lt. Dan, I've also lost it turning the corner turning out of my neighborhood, :baldy I’ve had to send my R2P in for repairs twice, I’ve trashed two helmets in the last two years, I’m on my second set of Hepco and Becker tank guards and engine guards because I ground through the tubing on the engine guards on the right side, my Micatech panniers look like they’ve been beaten with hammers in places, the list goes on… Soooo…

I want a suit that’s iron-fucking-clad. I’m looking for the next best thing to a suit of fucking armour because I need it. No, I’m not running the goddamed Dakar, but I’m probably as tough on equipment as some of those guys are. I don’t baby my shit. I’m sorry Aerostich fanbois, a Darien or a Roadcrafter won’t cut it, I’ve seen them up close, tried them on, and I don’t think they’re tough enough. Same thing for the much less expensive Olympia stuff, it’s not tough enough. My Rallye 2 Pro is barely making the grade. I need it to vent well but have the ability to close up and be warm, because I’ve ridden from the Badlands where the temp was 115°F on the road to a pass in Northern Colorado (fuck if I know where I was) where the temp was 37°F and there was still snow on the ground within a two day period. I need the armour to be something better than the fucking foam rubber they put in cheaper suits. I want the exterior to be the next best thing to titanium because it’s going to spend some time on the pavement or the rocks on a gravel road on top of a levee along the Mississippi. So if GoreTex’s Armacore material is up to the task, they’re proud of that fact, and they’re not willing to give it away, so fucking be it. Sign me up. If the 3dO armour gets harder than steel upon impact (like the BMW NP stuff), halleluiah, I want it in my suit, because I’m probably going to test those claims. Looks like Klim is making a suit for the morons that ride like I do. Based on the specs on this suit, I wouldn’t be surprised if the designers were asking themselves, “How could Xeraux fuck this thing up? Really? Like that? :huh Then put some tougher shit on the elbows.”

There are people out there who want a suit like this and not because they’re pretending they are or want to be like Charlie McEwan, :gdog but they really do need something tough because they really do ride that hard or they ride as poorly as I do.

Will I buy one? Who knows? But I'm glad to know someone out there is making a suit with idiots like me in mind.

:bluduh
  8. dwayne

dwayne Silly Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    has anyone found the ACTUAL price in USD. There's been a lot of people panning the price when I don't think one had even been mentioned.

When I look at other Klim gear, it is on the pricey side, but also on the upper end of quality/materials for what is availible.

I bet this comes in with in a few hundred of a RP2 suit, less than a Halversons, maybe a touch more than a Rukka.
  9. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    The original post has it priced at:

Jacket: CDN$1499
    Pants: CDN$999

That's like US$200.00 total or something. :dunno
  10. WestRider

WestRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am very happy with the Klim gear I have...I've got Dakar, Mojave, and Free Ride pants, a couple of Revolt Jerseys, Valdez jacket, Inferno shirt, and PowerXross gloves. I got all of it on clearance (except for that Riff Raff shirt!!) for reasonable prices over the last couple of years and it's all exceptionally well made and comfortable to wear when riding.

I really like the idea of that suit coming in two pieces, as I'm one of those weird shaped fellas. I don't fit into my one piece suit very well which is why I've gone to the Valdez/Free Ride combo for winter riding...but the armor would be nice!!

Hmmmm that looks like a good candidate for 2011 Riff Raff Extreme gear!!! :evil
  11. dwayne

dwayne Silly Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    the thing is that Canadian motorcycle and related gear prices are completely out of line with American prices. More than relfected by simple exchange rates (which is about 95% of the American dollar right now).

I paid almost exactly 50% less for a Yamaha trunk mounting bracket when I bought it in the states.

Four years ago we paid $1000 for a RP2 JACKET, that's right just the jacket. Prices have spiked since then (about 6 months ago) . I am having trouble finding a current CDN price for the RP2 jacket, but I bet it's close to $1200.

I bet the Klim suit in the States is priced closer to $1800.
  12. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I called KLIM yesterday, and spoke to Customer Service about a repair to my Dakar pants. I gently probed about a release date for the Adventure Suit. The very nice gal acted as if I had called the wrong company! She was very well-versed in giving non-answers. I'm not complaining at all...no reason for them to build up false expectations....just sayin' we're not going to get any info from them, so please continue speculating. ;-)

Olyrider
  13. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Well, appparently they've dropped marketing materials in Canada, so it can't be toooo far off. :dunno
  14. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    :lol2
  15. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    I'm with Xeraux on this one.

I may not be as fast as a lot of the guys here, and I may not commute daily, but when it comes to versatility and tough gear I have my needs; and KLiM has it covered.

I'm a gear whore, I admit it. I have probably 15 pairs of gloves, 4 Street Jackets, a couple enduro coats, several pullovers, and I bet 6-8 full sets of offroad gear. The A-stars Tech 6 and 8 boots, the Gaerne road racing boots, the A-stars Goretex ones.... blah blah blah

I just want the shit that works. And everybody with a 'Stitch says they get a wet crotch.

My method of thinking is this: "If you're 100 miles from nowhere, and something fails; How much would you be willing to pay to have the proper piece of equipment?" Be it a set of bar risers, a clutch lever, a chain, a jacket, etc. At that point, you know how much that piece of equipment is worth to you.

I ride to VERY out of the way places. Places where a Quad, a winch, 100' of rope, three drunk friends, and a Chainsaw are required to recover a motorcycle. And I can't afford to have a failure under those circumstances. Mechanical, or with my gear.
  16. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    I guess I'm still missing how this suit is so revolutionary and thus can command such a high price :dunno

It looks a very nice piece of kit and I understand people want kit that works but what does this have that other suits doesn't :ear

It seems it's waterproof, with waterproof zips, has good armor and pockets on the back and it caters for a Leatt - other jackets have similar features. What else does it have that others do not ?
  17. MSH

MSH The Salt

Oddometer:
    Looks nice, but price. WTF?
  18. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    I'm just reading Pyndon's Ride Report and came across this post of his:

Waterproofness that should actually really work! (being gore-tex), not many jackets actually cater to the Leatt - I can only think of 2 others and the Acerbis does not compare in features. The attention to detail - for example, I know this is the case with their new Dakar Pants (but I think it extends to all their pants now) the thread used for the stitching is now a weaved tiny rope (as it was explained to me by the Rep - mind you I just looked at mine and can see it is thicker but can't see the weave, but it is shiny and hard to differentiate).

I'd like to see the list of other jackets with the same features :ear , you mentioned it a few pages back... still waiting...

D
  19. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    Yes, there are other jackets with "similar features"; but there is no other SINGLE jacket that has ALL the features. Add on top of that the fact that its a GoreTex Pro Shell and its in a class by its self. Have you priced a Mountain Hardware Pro Shell lately? Wanna talk about stupid money for a jacket?

This kit is like buying a Mercedes, Lexus, or BMW. Yes, a Taurus or Altima will get you down the road, but it wont have every feature you want, or perform as well. Gotta pay to play.
  20. SteveRed

SteveRed Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    Yeah you don't get it!

The Klim gear is waterproof unlike other gear which has layers of zip in waterproof liners. The BMW clothing when wet gets soaked feels heavy, but it's the the Goretex liner that keeps you dry underneath that saggy baggy suit. This gear is akin to survival mountaineering clothing. It is the first suit designed for motorcycling which is actually made from breathable yet waterproof material. Unlike any other suit is is not only compatible with the Leatt brace but also has a waterproof cover, so you can ride in comfort with protection.

You don't get it cause no other jacket or pant combo is compatible. You are trying to compare apples with mangoes!

Cheers