1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Klim Adventure Suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by osteo, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
    Great stuff!

Of course you could buy a bike or two for that kind of money, but who cares- I just bought a top-of-the-line Gericke Tuareg jacket with "just" a Gore performance-shell liner and suddenly all of my gear combined costs more than my bike. :lol3

Hein Gericke also offers a cold weather jacket with outer pro-shell fabrics now and the jacket pushes €700 / $1000. The Klim jacket looks so much better, is made for touring and racing and has the killer option of Leatt compatibility. I am very much looking forward to the Euro pricing.

Of course there are options all the way down the line; Louis just offered an "adventure-style" (long, lots of pockets) jacket with CE armor and some kind of "water-proof" membrane starting at €45 (!). I'm sure such a piece of gear is fine for the occasional rider who carries a rain suit for longer rides in the wet. But I remember my first ever ride in autumn when it got dark, cool and it started to rain. At that day I swore to myself I would never be so miserable again and started to put down money for the best gear I can afford. It took me 3 years to go and buy my Tuareg, waiting for clearance sales. I can see myself starting to save for a piece like the Klim jacket as well.
  2. AllOrds

AllOrds -------------

Oddometer:
    I get it !:D

Rukka,Hein Gericke,Alpinestars,Dane and Bikers just to name a few use the Gore-Tex Pro shell in some of their jackets......Now Klim jumps on the band wagon but adds a Harness and a Leatt compatible collar. Awesome

I dont see much point in the Harness, and it looks like you`d have to remove the jacket to get anything out of the back pockets, unless your a contortionist. Neck brace... well not whilst on the road as i like to turn my head to see whats coming.Out in the bush a Kreiga hydro back pack and a good jacket with the Klim Stowaway jacket as a throw over is unbeatable

Out in the Dakar race.......Get the Klim Adventure ensemble to match your $40K entry fee and $100K race bike complete with spare parts.
  3. HBToni

HBToni Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What a nice suit. Seems my rather inexpensive suit does the job just fine though. Usually my feet and hands are the only parts lacking in comfort. I love the idea of that gel; I imagine it's like water and cornstarch on steroids. The pockets in the back seem unnecessary. But hey, in the name of Science!:freaky
  4. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in the pants mainly. I have a gore laminated jacket i like, but have never been happy with any water proof pants. These look to be the ticket with vents that work (like the dakar pants I own) and strong water proof fabric. I'd pay for that cause I can't get it anywhere else.
  5. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    I think I'll need wait until they go to the markdown bin. :augie
  6. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    this looks like an amazing suit. Pretty much what may end my buying/selling obsession, but, unlike all the cheerleaders so far, I'd like to see what reality brings in a year or 3.

Remember, the much hyped Rev'it Infinity turned out to be beta at best. lets see what the real world brings, then I might be selling everything I own for this jacket!

The D30 armor seems great, but, I'd like to know if it gets rock hard when cold like so much other new armor out now. I'd be interested in seeing how it compares to the likes of T-pro, Sas-Tec and NP. The latter two are not acceptable to me thanks to how hard they get in the cold. Others don't see that as a problem, but, I don't want to land on it. T-Pro stays soft, as does the Quad armor in my Motoport pants.
  7. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    I have a sneaking suspicion that the 3DO armour and the BMW NP armour are the same thing.

:patch
  8. levain

Oddometer:
    Same thing, but, much less coverage:huh Anyway, from what I've seen, they appear to be quite different
    <object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HRtsC3xRKW0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>
  9. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    Now that is cool!! I guess I need to do some Youtube surfing!

I think it was asked -if the Harness is removeable and I do not think so, at least that I could tell.

D
  10. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
  11. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:

"Same thing", but "quite different".

:thumb

:lol3

All kidding aside. What do you mean?

My speculation, (and that's all it is is speculation) is that they're the same material and BMW's "exclusivity" agreement expired.
  12. davidlomax

davidlomax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My name is Dave Lomax, together with Chris Colling I own Adventure-Spec Ltd.

If you look closely on the jacket front lower left pocket (and on the pant) you will see our logo, you will also see our name mentioned in the promotional material presented at the start of the thread.

The reason for this is that together with Klim and WLGore Chris and I are responsible for collaborating on the design of the suit.

This suit wasnt just designed on paper, what you see in these photographs is the third version of the suit after testing by multiple riders (including us) over approx 40-50k MILES of on and off road riding in all weather conditions.

This suit was NOT designed as a road suit with pretty extra bits and sandy coloured patches. Every single part of the suit has a purpose and was designed with nothing in mind other than a total riding focus.

This suit wasnt designed to a price. It was designed to do a job, and when we finished we worked out how much we needed to sell it for to make a standard profit. I can honestly say that I doubt there has EVER been a piece of clothing available to bikers that has more R&D and design focus than this. It is almost identical to our initial brief. No bean counters or 'design experts' have cut corners or added/removed pointless tat.

I can understand that there is speculation regarding many parts of the suit, particularly if you have never actually seen or worn one, but perhaps we can help some of the debate here.

Ask away...we can hopefully explain some of the features we designed in to the garments and reasons behind them.

Dave
  13. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Did you really ask yourselves, "How can Xeraux fuck this thing up?"

:lol3

Obviously, I'm just kidding.

Thanks for weighing in on this.

Any plans to market it in the U.S.?

Are you comfortable sharing some kind of time frame if you are?
  14. levain

Oddometer:
    Wow! Now, that is an endorsement, and, a resource for all of us. ! Awesome! Thanks for signing in, and, putting yourself out there. It says alot about your commitment, and, your reputation.

As mentioned above, I'm curious about this armor. Does it get hard when cold? What are the test #'s compared to other high end armor out there?

How well is the ventilation? How hot can you comfortably wear the suit?

Can you add any photos of the suit without the brace? Is there a ton of extra bulk around the neck?

Looks great! Can't wait to see it in the flesh.
  15. levain

Oddometer:
    There's no way you could literally wrap a piece of NP around your finger like they did in that video. Well, at least not the elbow armor I have in my garage:wink:
  16. MOLAHS

MOLAHS Sisyphus

Oddometer:
    Doesn't the BMW Comfortshell suit offer very similar specifications ?
  17. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Such as?

:ear
  18. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    nor can you d30 after it is turned from goo into the armor. Search around again on you tube and you'll see that the goo is not the armor and the armor is more gel like, simular to the np.
  19. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap :clap :clap

D
  20. husky123

husky123 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. I just heard from my Klim rep. Looks like a April 2010 release on the suit. Jacket $1299.99, Pants $844.99.

Don't shoot! :hide