Klim Airbag vest owners observations/feedback

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mackdaddy, Jun 30, 2020.

1. mackdaddy

mackdaddy Finding my way Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey gang,

I just picked up one of the airbag vests from Klim. The actual activation module is from a company called in&motion.com. I have been an owner of Klim gear for many years and their products are top of the notch. I have noticed a couple of things that I am having issue with the vest on the software side (the app) that I wanted to just share with the gang:

1) The app on my Galaxy S9 plus phone has trouble connecting with the in&motion module. The unit is recognized via bluetooth but it seems to never want to connect to show its status via the app.

2) The unit connects sometimes with the app that I downloaded on my iPad. It seems to work better with connecting with the iPad but I don't want to carry my iPad when I am riding.

3) I can never get the app either on my phone or iPad to find Wifi networks to connect with with the app on my phone or my iPad. My home ipad, computer and work computer have no problem seeing any available Wifi networks. I click the options on the apps to search and I always get an unable to find error message back from the apps.

I have contacted in&motion about these issues. There is always the possibility that the problem is in the unit or within the software behind the apps. I was just curious if any other inmates whom currently have the vest might be experiencing some issues on their end. Thanks for taking a read!
    panfam007 likes this.
  2. vince82

vince82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These complaints are exactly the reason why I am waiting for 2 or 3 generations of smart airbags to roll before chipping in. For now I find a level 2 full back protector still gives me more confidence, I would wear an airbag on top of it but not alone yet.
  3. mackdaddy

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the feedback. Thanks for sharing those thoughts.
  4. Peanut_Buttery

Peanut_Buttery Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The D-Air Road system is Dainese’s third generation airbag.

Also, Alpinestars has had its Tech-Air technology for about fifteen years. I’ve had no problems with my Tech-Air Street. Except the 20-second startup time (a very minor niggle) it seems well developed.

In&Motion is the newest kid on the block. But don’t you get ongoing updates as part of the deal, as well as new hardware every three years?
    stk0308 likes this.
  5. mackdaddy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that info. Updates are part of the deal. This is the purpose of the Wifi connections for the app updates and possible firmware updates. I am not sure about new hardware every three years but if you do the monthly program you can return the module to the company for a true “hardware” upgrade if needed.
  6. Wearyeyed

Wearyeyed Lost Soul

Oddometer:
    I had the unfortunate experience of deploying a Helite vest around a 35-45mph impact with a mechanical trigger (rip-cord, if you will) and walked away.

Can’t comment on the techno-mechs, but it’s hard to fault something that’s, well, “mechanical”.

Hope you get what you’re after...
    Suncoaster likes this.
  7. Peanut_Buttery

Peanut_Buttery Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought the same too, until my tethered airbag failed to inflate in a crash. While it’s probably a rare failure, it convinced me to switch to the Tech-Air.

I think the Alpinestars and Dainese systems have been in use for enough years that they’re well developed now. (And they have a lot of knowhow from MotoGP too.) Neither the D-Air Road nor the Tech-Air Street require an app, but I believe the Tech-Air 5 does.

I imagine In&Motion is closing the gap. A couple of MotoGP riders have the In&Motion system, and the ongoing updates are reassuring that any purchase will be kept up to date. Also, I like the fact that In&Motion is being used in road racing; had this year’s Isle of Man TT gone ahead, many of the riders would have had the In&Motion system.

I hope the OP finds a solution to his WiFi woes.
    Wearyeyed likes this.
  8. mackdaddy

Oddometer:
    Thanks Peanut. One of my reasons for going the In&Motion route was KLIM and the MotoGP connection. I am hopeful that this situation gets rectified quickly.
  9. yellowcarbon

yellowcarbon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't help you, but I'm assuming it doesn't need to access the app to function. Does the app just tell you info on the vest? Please update us when you get a chance on what you found out.

I have a Hit-Air MLV vest, but am definitely interested in the Klim. What do you think of the vest? Have you ridden with it?
  10. mackdaddy

Oddometer:
    You are correct. It doesn’t need to access the app to function but the app can give you a more detailed info on your battery status for the unit. There is a color LED system on the pack but the point is most to have to take off the vest to take a peak

I really do like the vest. It is very comfy under my Baja S4 jacket. I have done about 300 miles with the vest. Please feel free to drop me a convo if there is anything specific you want to know. Happy to help.
    Valentino likes this.
  11. Valentino

Valentino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope In&Motion get back to you with a quick solution. Many of us are interested in the In&Motion airbag, so please keep us posted!

I think the In&Motion system looks excellent: the airbag has a high-volume, as well as all-round coverage of the back, neck, chest and abdomen. Plus, I expect the company's involvement in road racing will pay dividends for road riders thanks to the ongoing updates. And when I tried on an In&Motion vest, it was much lighter than I expected too. I might start saving up ...
  12. mackdaddy

Oddometer:
    Valentino, I promise to make sure I post up whenever I get a response back from In&Motion. I realize how much of a community this is and how we can really make some decisions on purchases based on constructive feedback from inmates.
    Oeths, Valentino and Peanut_Buttery like this.
  13. xavierP

xavierP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing. I am also on the market for this specific vest.
    I was talking to the sales rep of inEmotion and they told me the battery would last 25h of riding. can you confirm it is close to that number?
    Also did you resolve your Bluetooth connection issue?
  14. mackdaddy

Oddometer:
    Hey there, I can’t confirm 25 but I was out for about 6.5 hours and the battery was 100% when I started and about 88% when I got back in the house. I have to say In&motion customer service has been very responsive and attentive. I just received the following from their customer service division:

“Thank you for your message. If you cannot connect the In&box to your wi-fi network or configure the wi-fi via the mobile application, do not hesitate to switch off the In&box with the central button, then the side button to reset it and you can also turn off your internet box and then turn it back on. I would like to point out that the configuration of the Wi-Fi network in the application must be done near your internet box. If this does not work, you can configure wi-fi via the manual procedure in your customer area on our website. Otherwise you can try to connect the In&box to another wifi network (work, family, friends, neighbors ...)? Note that without the wi-fi connection, the vest is still functional (if the In&box does not only flash red on the two upper LEDs when inserted in the vest). In addition it may depend on your Wi-Fi network. We have found that certain types of wifi networks are unfortunately not yet compatible with our In&boxes. For example, the "ac-fiber" standard is not supported by our In&box, as are wifi networks with a frequency higher than 2.4 GHz.
    - if successful, how many connection attempts were made before success?
    - if this fails, can you send us the error message, possibly via a printscreen? • Are you using the app on an Android or iOS device?

Anyway, you will be able to make the newt updates in the future directly on your mobile app and your wifi network will only be used to make synchronisation of your riding datas.

Awaiting this additional details if you need, we remain at your disposal and wish you a pleasant day !”

I have not yet responded but just wants to share
    panfam007 and Peanut_Buttery like this.
  15. xavierP

xavierP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great info
    And good to know they are responsive
    Regarding the jacket size: I am 6’1 and 175, size 33 pants
    What size did you get?
  16. mackdaddy

Oddometer:
    No problem. I am 5’11” and at the moment about 210. I went with a large. It’s a good fit for my build. I typically wear a large KLIM jacket but I got an XL Baja S4 jacket in the event I had to put a layer under the jacket. It’s a good fit for me with the large vest and XL jacket.
  17. xavierP

xavierP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    alright thx!
  18. Valentino

Valentino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi @mackdaddy – I read that Kilm's airbag can't be worn with some jackets that zip to pants:

I wouldn’t want to gain airbag safety, only to lose the safety aspect of being able to zip together my jacket and pants.
  19. mackdaddy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that reply. I just pulled this directly from the Klim website:

"The Ai-1 Airbag Vest and In&Box DPP (Detect-Protect-Perfect) platform is the first continually evolving motorcycle protection technology driven by artificial intelligence. The In&Box detection module offers unprecedented crash sensitivity through continuous algorithm updates. The Ai-1 vest is comfortable and low-profile for use with any riding jacket, and is one of the highest rated motorcycle airbag systems available. Ride protected by the smartest system in motorcycle airbag technology".

If you have some other information directly from Klim that would discuss the incompatibility with some jackets that zip to pants, could you please post it up here to help out the inmates for safety information and to decide whether or not they may want to go ahead and purchase a vest.:clap
  20. xavierP

xavierP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Too bad it is in French but the creator/co-owner of the company that created the airbag system gave a long and detailed interiview here
    First of it is interesting to know that ALL brands use his system, they just package it differently.
    To tie back to the thread, he explains and demonstrates how tight / not tight jackets should be.
    Obviously, they shouldn’t too tight. He recommend 1-2” of room between the jacket and the vest