KLIM Badlands Pro

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mrt10x, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Nnordsman

Nnordsman Nnordsman Supporter

Oddometer:
    For those of you who have tried the badlands and the latitude are they both equally tight in the arms? The badlands I tried seemed a pretty tight in the arms, and my arms aren't what they used to be. It fit great everywhere else.
  2. CF5motorAZ

CF5motorAZ n00b

Oddometer:
    I e-mailed Klim last week, and they stated that they are updating the Badland pants and jacket. They will be released in the spring.
  3. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    No, I find the Latitude has quite a bit more space in the arms.
  4. Nnordsman

Nnordsman Nnordsman Supporter

Oddometer:

Thank you. That is helpful.
  5. StriderTB

StriderTB Strudel

Oddometer:
    Picked up my first Klim jacket back in fall 2013, a 3X Latitude Misano. Lost some weight and changed to a 2X grey Badlands Pro in June of last year. Just sold that and picked up an XL Hi-Viz Badlands today. :clap Thankfully my dealer still had them on sale, it was only $629!

I was thinking about going back to a Latitude in XL, and I even tried on the old Adventure Rally, which I didn't care for. Also tried an Olympia MotoQuest, but the idea of going from a single layer GoreTex shell to a 3 layer modular jacket just isn't appealing. That thing does have monster vents though.
  6. brbo

brbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a few changes - (probably more than I noticed from pics)

• 2 Extra vents on the outside of the upper front pockets (10 total)
    • Snaps to hold collar open instead of velcro
    • Different abrasion material in high wear areas
    • a bit of style changes - material around vents and shoulders
    • better arm vent position
    • Pen holders on each sleeve ??
    • moved all the reflective pieces
    • LESS LOGOS !!!!
    Personally not disappointed in getting the previous model after my first ride today and a bunch on hundies still in my pocket

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    The big difference, and reason for price increase, appears to be the use of superfabric. A welcome addition in my book. That puts it at the top tier in the industry, and, gulp, makes it cheap by comparison :huh

I wonder about the claimed better fit? What about the armor? will knee armor actually cover the knee now? Turn rock hard in the cold? Has it been improved/increased in size? Or, at least larger pockets to replace with better? "Siliconized spacer mesh front chest armor". Huh? Same deflexion as before or did they go cheap on us?

Adjustable collar?

Always on the hunt for that one jacket to replace everything i own. Looking forward to the atomic moto and revzilla videos on this one...
  8. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    I'm of the same opinion, I've been so close to buying the Badlands a number of times but the 3D0 armor simply does not cut it if your looking for Top Tier protection. And, you can not simply insert good armor to get the Klim gear up to par.

Eagerly watching to see if Klim stepped up.

DW
  9. Simonhantler

Simonhantler waiheke simon

Oddometer:
    I have badlands pro and rukka cosmic. Rukka by far the better gear. And actually vents better than I thought it would. Hard to get gear that will do all seasons
  10. jphii

jphii OK, now what?

Oddometer:
    Sure you can. I can't remember if it's in this thread or another, but there are picks of it being done.
  11. RumRunner

Oddometer:
    I have read all the threads on this, you can not as the armor pockets are integral to the manufacture of the garment. What some guys have done is taken better armor and resized it by cutting to fit the KLIM pockets. This does not address the issue that the KLIM armor provides poor coverage.

I have saved all the images, and comparison sizes of various armor pieces if some one is interested. However, you can find them all here on ADV by searching.

DW
  12. jphii

jphii OK, now what?

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure how much better you need, but it protects my knees with acceptable coverage. If you don't like D30 there is other armor available you can cut to fit the pants armor pockets.

If I needed more coverage than the stock armor in the pants provided I would wear dedicated knee armor and over pants, and not buy the Badlands. If you need even more than that you might as well drive....
  13. Simonhantler

Simonhantler waiheke simon

Oddometer:
    i put bmw knee armour in BP pants, bit of trimming required. klim armour is pathetic for the price.
  14. moulin6801

moulin6801 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I called Klim to find out why I could not order one now on their website and to my disappointment they will not be available until late July or August due to problems with suppliers... Sounds like Apple :) Any case, they say it does have more waterproof pockets, more comfortable and lighter material, and better armor.
    So, will see! Sucks for the delay....

• 2 Extra vents on the outside of the upper front pockets (10 total)
    • Snaps to hold collar open instead of velcro
    • Different abrasion material in high wear areas
    • a bit of style changes - material around vents and shoulders
    • better arm vent position
    • Pen holders on each sleeve ??
    • moved all the reflective pieces
    • LESS LOGOS !!!!
    Personally not disappointed in getting the previous model after my first ride today and a bunch on hundies still in my pocket

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]
  15. brbo

brbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1

16. RumRunner

Oddometer:
    I guess it's all frame of reference as to how much armor is "acceptable".

I come from a road racing background & long distance iron butt riding so crashes were part of the environment on the track. Maybe I was fortunate but in my many high speed crashes, I walked away and I attribute that to both luck and the best gear.

[​IMG]

When riding ADV bikes in challenging conditions I do use a pressure suit under a BMW Ralley jacket and dedicated 661 armour for the knees, hips/butt area under MX pants.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Despite that, sometime you end up with these...

[​IMG]

So as an example, here is the KLIM 3D0 knee armor vrs the BMW NP knee armor. The 3DO is at least 50% smaller in area than the BMW. At best, the 3D0 might protect your knee cap if the armor hasn't moved due to the fact that the KLIM pants are a baggy cut and do not hold the armor tight to your body.

The BMW NP is on the left, the 3D0 on the right

[​IMG]

In fact all of the BMW armor shares this form fitting design.

[​IMG]

Here is why I find the KLIM armor unacceptable.

Last May a lil old lady ran a red light in front of me. I was doing approx 70km/h and she was doing 80-90km/h. I had about 2-3 seconds of braking to avoid her T-boning me on the left side. I hit her rear right quarter panel.

[​IMG]

My 950 was in surprisingly good shape, although it was right off do to the frame being bent.

After my body hit her car, I flew over her car and landed 25 away from the impact spot. I landed in a crouched, riding like position with my toes, knees, elbow, hand and chin hitting the road.

After doing my oh fuck, I was just hit, I stood up and walked back to the accident scene.

However, both knees did hurt. It turns out my right knee had crushed my MCL badly.

[​IMG]

Here is how the BMW armor actually saved my knee. It's because it actually fits, unlike the 3D0.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really like the features of the Badlands, the GoreTex, the pockets, the venting and lastly the look.

However, until KLIM steps up with quality armor, I'll stick to BMW gear and the pain of an inner GoreTex liner.

DW
  17. jphii

jphii OK, now what?

Oddometer:
    I too have a road racing background. Back in the day when leathers had less armor than most street gear does now. Never did really get hurt and walked away from all of them.

[​IMG]

We gear up about the same for off-road except I wear the Badlands set over Leatt gear top & bottom. Except on the Ural I just wear the Badlands.

I haven't had BMW gear for quite a few years and don't remember the armor having that much coverage, but I see what you mean. Quite a difference.
  18. RumRunner

Oddometer:
    Ain't that the truth, I don't know how we survived the '70's, I think I'm wearing cowboy boots in these pics. lol

[​IMG]

DW
  19. jphii

jphii OK, now what?

Oddometer:
    Yep, I'm wearing Frye's in that pic. The crap you used to be able to get away with in WERA....:lol3
  20. RumRunner

Oddometer:
    :thumb :thumb :thumb

Anyhow, back to the KLIM gear - I'm eagerly awaiting info on the updates to see if they made any changes in armor.

DW