KLIM Badlands Pro

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mrt10x, Feb 20, 2011.

1. bigborefan

bigborefan Making new friends

Oddometer:
    I wear MX style knee pads all the time, off-road and on-road.

http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Kids-Charger-Off-Road-Knee-Guards

The BILT look identical to to the EVS brand. I have both.

I have the KLIM Traverse pants. I wouldn't trust any knee armor in them as I think the armor would move around to much due to the loose cut. And I also think the KLIM knee armor is too small.

I wear a KLIM short under the Traverse.

http://www.revzilla.com/snow/klim-tactical-shorts

I don't own a BL Pro. Want one, just haven't been able to pull the trigger yet. I'd trust the armor in the jacket for what I would use the jacket for, ADV/Touring.

I don't have any interest in the BL pants myself.
  2. SOMA Man

SOMA Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry about the knee. That looks rather painful.

There are variations in the D30 armor that Klim offers with its jackets/pants. The armor in the Badlands Pro is the D30 T5 Evo Pro XT (I believe). I agree, it is adequate and imho, it could be better, especially when price is factored into the equation (full disclosure: I own a pair of Badlands Pro pants).

I recently purchased the (relatively) new Klim Adventure Rally jacket and pants. The Adv Rally comes with D30 Xergo armor (click link). D30 Xergo is much more substantial, both in coverage and thickness. If I'm not mistaken, it is 20mm thick vs 13mm for the T5 Evo Pro XT. It is asymmetrical and fits specifically to your left/right shoulders and knees with much larger surface areas. Furthermore, it has surpassed CE level 2 certification requirements in the shoulder, knee, hip, and elbow areas, unlike the T5 Evo Pro, which only achieved CE level 1 certification. The primary downside is that you have to buy the Adventure Rally jacket and/or pants in order to get the Xergo armor (at least for now). The Adventure Rally product line is, by most standards, very expensive. I considered it a long term investment and was able to convince myself that the benefits outweighed the cost.

Hopefully, the Xergo armor will filter down to the BP Pro in the future. Btw, The brand new Rev'it Seeflex CE level 2 armor looks really nice, as does the BMW NP you mentioned. Stay safe.

https://rideapart.com/articles/new-ce-2-standards-for-body-armor-and-the-d3o-protectors-that-meet-it
  3. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words on the knee.

The new specs are out for the 2015 gear and the Badlands did not get a armor upgrade. What a shame they stuck with CE Level 1.

From their web site:

http://www.klim.com/Badlands-Pant-4053-001.html#31073

D3O™ T5 EVO PRO XT HIP AND KNEE PIECES INCLUDED (EXCEED LEVEL 1 CE CERTIFICATION FOR PREN1621-1:2011 TESTING)

DW
  4. SOMA Man

SOMA Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's too bad. It's nice that they added the superfabric to the new BP Pro but it would have been nicer if the Xergo armor was offered, at a minimum, as an optional upgrade. One can only hope they make a change sooner rather than later.
  5. NewToMe

NewToMe safety 3rd

Oddometer:
    Picked up a Badlands Pro jacket today for a good price. Klim told my dealer today that the 2015 would be at the distributor in June. MSRP will be something like $949 for jacket, $649 for pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Mike M

Mike M Long-timer... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got Klim Latitude gear and really love everything about it---except the fit of the armor. Was hoping to read here that the Badlands is significantly better. Disappointing to see it's not.

For me the Klim armor 'floats' on my shoulders and knees feel the same--not as much protection as I would like.
  7. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    I need to get some new pants when I can ride again, because my Badlands were cut-off a few days ago... :cry
    [​IMG]

I noticed the new version has "IMPROVED COMFORT AND FIT". I hate when manufacturers say that. It's so vague.

As for the lousy knee protection, I bought some Rukka D3O armor and cut it to fill the whole knee pocket. It was much better than stock.
  8. NewToMe

NewToMe safety 3rd

Oddometer:
    Ouch. I hope the pants did their job?!?!
    And I bet there is a story begging to be told here?

9. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    The pants didn't have much work to do, but the story is fairly long (it's here). The meat of the story happens on Page 4.
  10. NewToMe

NewToMe safety 3rd

Oddometer:

Wow. Glad you're back north and on the mend. When I was a paramedic we always cut pants off. But I wonder how well that would work with Kevlar pants.

11. bigborefan

bigborefan Making new friends

Oddometer:
    I know why KLIM is so expensive. Just got the new catalog. Who sends out a catalog? I love it. It's museum quality.
  12. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a gear alterer do my Klim jacket. Added a snap to keep the flapping collar under control when not fully zipped up. Then asked about the wrist condoms and she cut them out and then sewed them together with a small zipper. Still too big of a zipper but her distributor doesn't carry them. If I don't like the feel of the zipper, I can take the jacket back and will find some of those crazy small ones like in nylon hiking pants. Should be nice as sometimes you just need them in the sleeves.
  13. Simonhantler

Simonhantler waiheke simon

Oddometer:
    youre onto it, shouldnt have to be though with this so called QUALITY gear. i always change things on the so called best in the world shit.
    anyway i am putting dome snaps on my klim BP jacket collar to accept my rukka goretex rain neck gaitor. it works so well on rukka that im adapting it to klim for wet weather.no matter how good the jacket is , if you are in all day rain (nz knows) it will drip down the collar, this stops it.
    i prefer rukka all year except jan and feb here when ist to hot.
  14. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I've thought about doing something like that too. Looks like Klim did exactly that on the new version of the BP.
  15. veriest1

veriest1 Minimalist Gear Hoarder

Oddometer:
    I've recently noticed the mesh inside my BP jacket is starting to tear around the corners of the chest pad. I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't reinforce those areas. I mean I only wear it like... almost every day. :deal
  16. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Terradrifting

Oddometer:
    100% agree. The D30 used in Klim is severely under par. BMW is the standard. Why the F' other companies don't follow is beyond me.

17. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Am I doing it wrong - I've washed my badlands jacket about 2-3x, and after each time I've put it in the dryer on med-high heat to "reactivate" the goretex waterproofing, which is I believe the Klim washing instructions. Last week I got caught in the rain for a spell and the jacket soaked through completely, so either prolonged rain exposure or the goretex failing after washing is the cause?
    Do I need to re-apply weatherproofing goretex spray? Was the dryer heat not hot enough?
    Anyone else had issues with goretex like this? I was hoping my jacket would be decent rain protection, sucked to find out it wasn't, so now I'm looking into riding rain jackets that I can throw on and zip up over the badlands.
  18. menotknow

menotknow always n00b

Oddometer:
    What you need to do is to decide if you like more the Badlands 1st or 2nd generation. If you like more the 2nd suffer a bit more and go to your Klim rep once the new jackets are in. You'll get a new one within 2 or 3 weeks. If you like the old one more than go right away. Gore-tex! :deal
  19. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    My guess is that you didn't dry it on a warm enough setting. You could also try using the spray on stuff and then drying it again. But I have no idea. Both of mine have been completely waterproof over the three years I've owned them. I wash them in warm water and then dry on the normal setting which is, I believe, high. :scratch
  20. rboett

rboett posser noob 205

Oddometer:
    You don't reactive Gortex. Gortex is the laminated membrane material to the shell fabric. At some point you may need to reapply some water proofing type stuff to the outer materiel,, but not so much (or the wrong type of) stuff as as to clog the membrane pores. That's why you would want to stay away from any waxy stuff.

From the Klim site it sez this about when to reapply water resistance. ( I like 303 fabric protector)

"After your gear is dry, spray it with water from a bottle or sprinkle some on with your hands. If it beads up and rolls off the gear, you're good-to-go. Go riding! If it soaks in quickly, it's time to re-apply. KLIM and GORE-TEX(r) recommend spray-on DWR treatments like Revivex. This type of DWR is heat-activated. You spray it on your garment's exterior after the wash cycle and toss it in the dryer like normal. Follow the instructions on the bottle. Wash-in DWR treatments are not recommended as they coat all surfaces with the DWR and can negatively affect comfort and performance."

If you take a look at the Gortex site and read about Gortex, there are two parts , the bottom layer which is the wondrous membrane, then the top fabric layer, put together they make up 'The laminate" http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satel...s#sec-laminate

In describing the top layer , they talk about the Durably Water Repellent, this is the thing that is being discussed here (I think) that needs to be refreshed or re applied

From the Gor-tex site:
    Durably Water Repellent
    All GORE-TEX® garments have an ultra-thin treatment called DWR - a durable water repellent polymer - applied to the outermost fabric layer so that water beads up and rolls off rather than soaks in.

So they way I interpret all this is...

If you have a Gortex jacket, wash it good, not too rough, RINSE IT GOOD, put it through the dryer to reactivate if it needs it, if water doesn't bead,, LIGHTLY spray with with a DWR, and then dry again. They recommend Revivex, personally, i have had great success with 303 fabric Protector. This is what Gore is referring to as the "a durable water repellent polymer ". You are just trying here to provide some help here for the outer fabric to not absorb water so your gortex doesn't wet through. Think about it. If you have a membrane that is trying to breath, and it is coating with water, or a silicone based sealant, or the pores are filled with wax,, , ain't going to happen... So spray just enough to coat the outer fabric, don't soak it in the stuff. Also I wouldn't use anything with the word "wax' in it on Gortex, especially not to coat the inside and out side of the membrane. Would it make it waterproof, probably yes, you also just as probably going to lose a lot of your breathability.

I did the above on my Gortex Darien for 10 years. Always waterproof, always breathed. I'll be doing the same for my Badlands as needed.

At the end of the day, if it appears that the Gortex membrane is messed up, check out the Gore warranty, I think they will send you a new jacket or refund.

My $.02