KLIM Badlands Pro

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mrt10x, Feb 20, 2011.

1. onewoodsrider

onewoodsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just bought a pair of 34l badlands pro pants and the knee armor sucks. Has anyone found better armor that is larger so it doesn't drop down to my shin? Also just an FYI their sizes seem to run small as 34 in jeans are fine but in my badlands are tight, might have to find 36's.

Todd
  2. an13

an13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rukka d3o knee armor is larger.
  3. milzispete

milzispete who did what where?

Oddometer:
    Klim size pants on actual waist size and not what you would normally buy for jeans. Measure your waist before ordering
  4. tokenboy

tokenboy Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a Hi-Viz Badlands Pro from my local dealer on the weekend. I've been on the fence for a while, but they were discounting them pretty heavily with the new model set to arrive this summer. My local rep said the new Badlands jacket will go for $1500-1600 up here in Canada. Ouch!

If we back up, back when the ADV thing was bright and new, I purchased a Rev'IT Cayenne and Ultimate Pant combo in 2004. I'm about 6'2" and I was probably 210-215lbs at the time. The jacket was an XL and the pants a Large-Long in Rev'IT speak.

I have used that gear faithfully for the past 11 years racking up countless miles in a variety of conditions to terrain. I've evolved from Sport Touring on a V-Strom, to Dualsporting a KLR650, to drinking the orange koolaid and riding a 990 for the past 6-7 years. I'm from Western Canada, so we have extreme weather conditions, from cold to hot and back again with moisture in the form of rain or snow. I live in North Africa for the last 4.5 years and I had my 990 and Rev'IT gear there.

The jacket is still going strong, the pants have been beat up and abused. They've been torn and met hot exhaust a few times. I've been down offroad many times with the gear, but never on the pavement. When I had the liners in, I was always dry. With them out and riding in Africa, it kept me relatively cool.

This brings me to the one and only reason I moved to the Klim. This is a pro-shell that does not need a liner to be waterproof. I mentioned that when I had my liners in my Rev'IT always kept me dry...well, the times with sudden weather change I usually got wet as I stripped down on the side of the road to my skivvees to try and stay dry. It sucked.

I brought home the Badlands matched to a 32 -Tall Overland pants. The Overland seem quite tailored compared to other Klim stuff, but in comparison to a svelte Euro cut, they are big and baggy. I'll probably revert to wearing some knee guards to fill some of the volume in the pant.

The Badlands Pro in a Medium fit me perfect. For reference, my height is still the same, but I am about 175lbs now with a 41-42" chest. I was swimming in the Large. I wanted the Overland Jacket, and the medium fit fine in the body, but the arms where 3-4 inches too short. Medium Badlands it is then,

I don't have any miles on yet, but the D3O armor in the elbows are a POS. This stuff is so hard and painful I dumped it immediately and put in the trusty stuff from my Rev'IT. They both appear to have the same CE rating and it has made my Badlands jacket feel like the old glove my Cayenne jacket it.

The collar is much too high and rough, but I am sure I will get used to it. The Kidney belt makes the jacket float. I'll be out this weekend for a spin and probably chime back in with some further impressions.
    03A3KRH likes this.
  5. Okie Preacher

Okie Preacher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am in the market for a new set of gear for this summer. I have been looking at the Badlands Pro, but they are coming out with an updated version set to reach the US sometime this summer. (RevZilla is projecting late June or July). Looking at a European outlet that I have used from time-to-time with great success I found:

http://www.fc-moto.de/Klim-Badlands-Jacket

Looks like the new model is available now. Some nice advances and in particular the updated armor that has been used in the Adventure Rally set. I am trying to come up with a reason to not push the button.

Any thoughts?
  6. tokenboy

Oddometer:
    Your Euro supplier says out of stock. Based on the feedback from my local dealer and his discussions with Klim, he is figuring late July to August before the new gear arrives.

The materials are now lighter and not has heavy and the collar has been redesigned, all based on feedback/criticism on the original Badlands Pro.

All in all, the new jacket should address all the issues raised in this big long thread.

7. Okie Preacher

Okie Preacher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dude, you are harshing my buzz!

I was all excited to get it ordered but hadn't added it to the basket to see that it, too, is not currently available. Won't quite work for a late July AK trip, will it.

So, stick with the current Badlands Pro or spring for the Adventure Rally?
  8. NewToMe

NewToMe safety 3rd

Oddometer:
    I just ordered 38 tall pants from Revzilla. I may need 36 tall but prices on the new version due on the U.S market In June or maybe late May will have a price increase. If these don't fit, I'll return them and wait or keep looking. They will be here Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. mrpete64

mrpete64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am not able to wear my knee pads with my Badlands pants. When I bend my knees the pads wear against my knees. Sent pants back to the company...they fiddled with it and sent it back. Problem still exists.
    I, unfortunately, cannot wear the knee pads.
    I DID call the dealer, prior to buying the pants, to make sure all my measurements were...correct.
    I do love my jacket.
  10. Adventurepig

Adventurepig the bike, not me !

Oddometer:
    Dont forget you'll have to stop and most likely remove the jacket to close all of the vents in the jacket you've had open when the weather turns nasty all of a sudden. I found that out...:nod
  11. 2WheeledFaith

2WheeledFaith Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heading that way around the same time, may we'll see you on the road.
  12. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Be sure to test this close to home before really putting it to the test on a long trip where you can get rained on. I was under the same assumption, and found out on a road trip a couple weeks ago after my jacket soaked through on the front and arms that maybe goretex is only "water repellent" for a while, and not completely "water proof".
    Others tell me their badlands jackets never leak or soak through, so I may have a problem with the goretex on just my jacket.. but, wouldn't hurt for you to test yours out first.
  13. tokenboy

Oddometer:
    Believe it or not, but I am able to open and close all vents, even the rear ones, with the jacket on.

Years of yoga paying off.

*Note, I do not actually do yoga.

14. the_doc

the_doc Street Convert

Oddometer:
    Thought I'd chime in on the Old Version fit, before the discussion completely switches to the new version

5'11, 215lb, "American Build" (Read: Beer gut)
    wear large t-shirts, and 34 levis, with a bit of a beer gut

Klim Large Jackets fits nicely, with 36 regular pants.

I do not find the pants to be excessively baggy or uncomfortable in the knee. The armor as a little play, but I don't find it to be unsafe or uncomfortable.

I moved from a latitude misano suit, and I like the cut of the badlands quite a bit better.
  15. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    :nod I can close and open all of the vents while riding except the back vents. That said, unless you're in a torrential downpour, you probably won't need to close the back vents. I never have and have stayed dry in some pretty good rains.

I've never done yoga either. :lol3
  16. grey80

grey80 n00b

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I like that jacket very much...
  17. NewToMe

NewToMe safety 3rd

Oddometer:
    Got my 38 Tall pants this week. I'm Levi's 36x36, until they shrink any at all.
    These are ok in the waist and hips, legs are a little baggy with shorts under them. Don't imagine the 36's would fit better, but since there doesn't seem to be a pair of 36 Tall anywhere to find out. I'll try them around the house a bit more before I ride them and get locked in. They seem to have plenty of venting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dropped by the local BMW dealer to buy an oil filter and another set of BMW Gortex gloves....And went home a set of KLIM Badlands Pro jacket and pants, for some reasons the dealer had big discount on these KLIM (lower than any price I could find on Internet) for only 1 day (they had some kind of event on dealer parking lot).

I didn't plan on buying them but I really need some water proof gears for my coming Alaska trip this summer. Originally I plan to wear my inexpensive Tourmaster Transition2 jacket and pants, and put on the rain suit if it rains. But looks like I will leave the rain suit at home this time.

How does the Badland Pro compared to BMW Rallye3? I still an option to return these.

Thanks
  19. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    The biggest difference is that the BMW's waterproof layer is on the inside. If you ride in rain, your jacket gets soaked and heavy. You may be dry, but you're riding in a wet and heavy jacket. The BP will keep you dry and not heavy.
  20. CDNRIDER09

CDNRIDER09 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As much as I don't believe in free advertisement, I also believe that we must share our experience with equipment. I have owned my Badland Pro jacket for a little more than a year.

Yesterday the temperature was 31C, overcast and according to Environment Canada, humidity was between 83 to 91%. We rode ~400km in Cloudy, light-showers and some short thundershowers period. Most of the ride was during the Cloudy period where you have to guess if you close or open your vents. Very early I decided to "suck it up" and ride with all vents closed. I was surprised how manageable it was to ride at such a high temperature with all vents closed. Again, there was no sun. It was however extremely hot.

One thing that is not discussed enough is the layer under the jacket. In the summer I always wear a long sleeve synthetic shirt. This combination is what I believe makes the success of the "system". You must not wear Cotton under this kind of technical jacket, especially in the temperature described above. Your first layer is very important no matter which season and will impact your body's ability to maintain its normal temperature.

I have the Adventure Pants and appreciate the design with allows excellent venting that can easily be adjusted while riding.