Klim Baja S4 - opinions yet?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by spuh, Jan 24, 2020.

1. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure the back protector is level 2, hell does D3O even make a level 1 protector? It's the limb armor that's the LP1 stuff.
  2. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's Level 1
    Brtp4 likes this.
  3. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on that. I haven't tried it with this jacket, but have with another one. It didn't work so well, pulling the back of the jacket into my neck. My kriega pack supports 3L of water so well thanks to the harness. A nice line item for a manufacturer though. Maybe, I'll stick my hydrapak in and see how it feels.
  4. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huh. I legit didn't realize they were making a level 1 Viper still.
  5. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well it will be a first for me having a hydration bladder in a jacket. I'll try to remember to let you know how it works, I have a tracking number so won't be long, unlike the Krios Pro I've had on backorder since Oct. That still hasn't fuc$ing shipped yet, I don't get why motorcycle gear companies make things in such small batches..end rant. Anyway I have a gut feeling that for it to be comfortable I may need a kidney belt, we shall see.

LOL yah, I honestly don't know why at this price point lvl 1 is a thing, I can see only getting lvl 1 on say a $200-300 jacket but once you get to $500+ in my mind there are certain expectations.
    levain likes this.
  6. MikeCMP

MikeCMP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a feel for wether the Baja pants would let you wear knee braces underneath? Saw they had straps to make the knee armor cinch down but they look pretty slim

mike
  7. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got away from wearing hydration bladders years ago. For one they are heavy, they don’t keep,water cold for long and cause fatigue when wearing for hours at a time. Been using our Motojug system off road and love it. Let your bike carry the weight so you don’t have to. Just an idea.

IMG_8028.JPG
  8. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    I think it was the Revzilla review that mentioned knee braces might be a tight or impossible fit depending on your brace.
  9. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Baja S4 suit. My pants size is 32, it fits Leatt C-frame size XXL a little tight but manageable.
  10. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got the suit for 5 days, only wear it for 10km commute under 30 deg C.
    The suit flow tons of air, the jacket vent even better than Induction.
    I'm wearing Induction size M but size S Baja S4 fits me perfectly.
  11. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tried it with POD braces and bulky MSR knee guards, fit with no issues.

BP
    flux_capacitor and STLR like this.
  12. MikeCMP

MikeCMP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you, appreciate it. Might grab thoe pants, I have a nice olympia mesh jacket that I still like but all my mesh pants have been kinda crummy.

Mike
    Brtp4 likes this.
  13. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    Can also confirm it runs large, I wear a Large Induction so logically I ordered a large S4 Jacket> WRONG... got mine today it fits like a potato sack, I now have a medium on order and an RMA for the Large to go back. Haven't ridden mine but the build feels phenomenal, the cut is more American fit than the induction ie.. I have a gut because I like to grill but I also lift weights and I'm neither tall nor skinny like euro cut favors.

A couple of quick observations.
    1. The gray which I ordered is darker than the pictures or anticipated.
    2. Zipper pulls are tiny, wish they were bigger and more like tabs.
    3. The liner and hidden/interior pockets are cool and not excessive.
    4. The bottom of the jacket does not have the tab to assist while wearing gloves, all good never found that necessary anyway.
    5. I thought the induction mesh was bomber the mesh on the Baja S4 feels like chain mail in comparison, very confidence inspiring.
    6. Seeing as the jacket didn't fit I didn't bother with testing the hydration bladder out, I'll reserve that for the one I'll keep in the right size.

It's a great jacket and I can't wait to tour the country on it once I retire from big AF in just over a year. I'm gonna match it with a carlsbad pant because I don't want a rain layer for pants.
    Oeths likes this.
  14. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would you mind sharing some of your measurements please? So the rest of us can estimate which size to order. Things like :

waist, chest, elbow, wrist and knee circumferences outside of your pressure suit obviously. And shoulder width (easiest with a jacket laid flat an the ground).

Thanks in advance
    Brtp4 likes this.
  15. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    Sure thing, I don't have a pressure suit and I'm not buying the Baja S4 pants. I'm doing the Carlsbad pants because I don't want to carry a wind/rain layer for my lower half. I want one lower garment to do everything and lower body ventilation is much less vital than upper. Sizing wise wrangler Jeans 34-30 fit well, as do Columbia/North Face convertible synthetic pants same size. Shirts Under Armour gym shirts athletic cut size Large as well as Columbia and Under Armour Polo Size Large fit well. Columbia button down silver ridge shirt medium fit well, Columbia Fleece size Large all fit well. Previous Klim pants experiences have been very finicky Outrider and Switchbacks in 34's fit snug but I tolerate it because 36's always fall off and are very loose. Had a pair of Klim Voyage Air pants in 34 I couldn't even pull on all the way and 36's were too loose and long. Rev-it Cayenne Pro pants XL short fit ok but were ridiculously bulky so I didn't keep them.
    Neck - 16.5"
    Chest - 44.5"
    Waist Belt line - 36"
    Arm Length - 30"
    Inseam - 30"
    Total Height - 5'-5"
    Weight 196lbs
  16. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anybody here had a chance to compare the Baja vs Marrakesh pants? I'm curious about the comfort aspects primarily.
  17. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for doing all the measuring. But I have to apologise; I assumed, and we all know what happens when you assume. (At least I assume so.). Note self : not every Baja buyer will wear a pressure suit!

I'm looking for clothing primarily for off pavement riding but I want road level protection for the transits to the good stuff. So I've been wearing Motoport kevlar over dirt stuff(pressure suit, knee braces, jersey, etc.). Taking off and storing the kevlar at each trailhead gets old really quickly. So I bought a Dakar suit; when I tried it on, it fit snug. Perfect. Then I put in D3O armour and it fit a little too snug. No way was a pressure suit going to fit. Return to reorder a size larger. (And wondered why Klim doesn't size this product to fit over a pressure suit? Or at least mention this fit option in their sizing chart?) Then I discovered the Baja S4. Do I go for a larger Dakar or a Baja?
    Klim lists the Dakar under "offroad" and the Baja under "motorcycle" on their website. And the Dakar comes without armour. Baja comes with armour. So should "offroad" assume the likelihood of using a pressure suit? And "motorcycle" assume "adventure bike" and use armour in pockets of the jacket? Either way I'll use a pressure suit and use it "offroad" but I'd like to get the size right this time. That's why I quizzed you about the fit; it seems Klim had changed the fit between these two (American versus Euro is what I see).
  18. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the same issue with the Dakar & my arms - a Large was baggy on my body, but I could barely get my forearms in there with no armor at all.

The Marrakesh was a different story thanks to
    All the stretch, wondering if the Baja has enough expansion space to split the middle?
  19. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    All good man, I hope it helped in some regard anyway. It all depends what you want if you are 90% off-road the Dakar would be fine but probably much hotter albeit less expensive by a mile. However if you want road protection then in my mind there's really no debate, the Baja takes the cake. If you take the D3O out of either both should work with a pressure suit but probably neither will work well with a suit and d3o.
  20. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Picked up mine today

6'3"
    44 chest

Large jacket and 36T pants

Quality is a stated above

Jacket has a the loose cut of an Enduro jacket...its not a touring piece and the cut shows it.

The jacket is also cut for the hydration bladder.

Cant wait to try it

20200306_162630.jpg
    Madman4049, Brtp4 and levain like this.