Klim Baja S4 - opinions yet?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by spuh, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:

BP
    cblais19 and ZoomerP like this.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Any Baja S4 pant owners?

Can you comment on the waist sizing?
    How does it run?
    Some 32" work for me stretched while I need a 34 in other pants.
    Does the waist size go up or down from what it's listed?
  3. ultrarnr

ultrarnr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a S4 pants in a 34 waist which is what my pants are that I normally wear everyday are. I think they are pretty close.
    eakins likes this.
  4. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Klim modern line vanity sizing (so probably same as your street pant), no stretch, has adjusters to snug things down a bit.
    eakins likes this.
  5. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    I recently bought Klim Mojave pants in size 38, which is the same size as my jeans, and they fit perfectly.

Buddy also bought Klim Baja S4 in size 36, as he also wears 36 jeans, and they also fit him perfectly.
    eakins likes this.
  6. emoose

emoose I have no idea what I'm doing. Supporter

Oddometer:
    My experience seems a little different than others. This could just be based on my intended use. I only plan on wearing the Baja pants over leggings/yoga pants to get the best cooling with minimal chafing. With that said, here’s my experience with sizing:

I normally wear 34” waist pants. I ordered 34” waist in the Baja. They fit, but I had the side Velcro cinched the whole way in. Considering I’m working on taking off some lock-down weight, I feared these would eventually be too big. I sent them back for 32”. These also fit great, but now I have room left on the Velcro tabs. I’m also pretty sure I could still fit a pair of light hiking pants underneath if I wanted.

Not sure if it matters, but mine are 32 *short*; I gots some stubby legs. Shouldn’t make a difference on waist size, but thought I’d mention it.
    eakins likes this.
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    That's exactly where I'm at with this.
    I have a 28" inseam so the short is a must.

My waist seems to float around some but I'm working to get it less. 33-34 is where I'm at but if the 32 goes to 34 then the 32 sounds more ideal.

I plan on wearing over the knee socks with Leatt knee guard and then MotoSkiveez shorts.

I have a pair of Mosko Deluge over pants if it rains/cold.
    emoose likes this.
  8. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you’re a 34” measured waist, absolutely try a 32 Short. I’m a 33” measured jeans waist and the 34 is huge on me, it’s at least 36” - vanity sizing.
  9. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Just curious if anyone has taken a slide in this suit, how it held up. I can't imagine my Rev'It Tornado will hold up at all. My buddy just switch to the Baja S4 and the mesh material looks way more durable.
  10. Johannes Carlsson

Johannes Carlsson Spreadsheet Racer

Oddometer:
    Baja S4 is the most durable mesh pants i have seen, to bad they didn´t make a ITB version
  11. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    6'2", 200 pounds, 34" inseam, 35" waist, 44" chest. Large jacket and Large Tall pants fit perfectly. Large Tall Forecast overpants, and Large Enduro S4 overjacket. Heading out this weekend through 100+ degree heat indexes and torrential downpours. I'll report back next week.
    Mumbles24 and RandomGRK like this.
  12. orangelion56

orangelion56 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought the jacket a few months ago for MOA rally, wore my Mojave OOB pants with it for the trip. I first bought the jacket in Large...it looked really good on me (wife's opinion)...but after wearing it around the house a bit, and adding some layers under it, it felt too snug (particularly the neck). I exchanged it for XL; a little baggy but more room to layer. I do think the jacket cuffs kinda suck (really stiff and thick) and at this price, I would have liked to see an adjuster and zipper there (like on my Scorpion Yosemite, I only adjust the cuffs once) A couple weeks ago I decided I had too much money just laying around so pried the wallet open and purchased the Baja pants. Was going to buy 38 (The Mojaves are 38 and fit well), but I went for a 36 which initially fit well in the shop. After I got it home and put together the ensemble with jacket (see below) and boots, then sat/stood on my bike, I decided I needed the 38 and exchanged them. Fit is perfect with side adjusters at about mid-point (leaves room for hamburgers and bacon), no binding in the crotch or knees, cuffs fit slightly loose on my Toucans and Tech 7s. I hear the snaps there can get difficult when dirty.

Part of the fit issue on the 36s turned out to be in the 38s as well. The connecting zippers dont match. See my earlier post on that.
    RandomGRK likes this.
  13. Right Turn Clyde

Right Turn Clyde Pongo pygmaeus Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That review read more like marketing copy, and it’s not until you get down into the comments that the author starts to note shortcomings.
  15. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    Just did 4 days in the Klim Baja S4. Heat index was over 105 on Friday. I would have melted in the Carlsbad (or anything Gore Tex for that matter) in that heat. As long as I was above 15mph, I was cool and comfortable. Got caught in a pop-up storm, didn't use the overpants or jacket and got soaked quickly. When the rain stopped, I stood on the pegs a bit to air out. Half an hour later I was completely dry. Had off-and-on rain all day today, so I pulled the Forecast pants and Enduro S4 jacket on, as well as my trusty lobster claws. Temperatures were in the high 70s, up to around 80. I stayed completely dry, and didn't cook when the sun came out. I was able to open the pit and back vents on the Enduro while riding, but couldn't manage to close the pit vents when it started raining again. Got the back closed though, and still stayed completely dry.

Sitting or standing, the suit was never uncomfortable, and I've never had any mesh jacket flow air this well. The pockets are all good, though I wish the pants had traditional front pockets. It's easy to clip open the top of the jacket using the provided stays. Didn't try zipping everything together. I wish it had a way to cinch the torso tighter, but that's not a dealbreaker. I went with the Forecast pants because they're going to live on the bike, and I wanted something that packed small. The Enduro jacket doesn't pack small, which kind of sucks. It's a seriously nice jacket though. No issues with the hood under my helmet.

Hellacious amount of money, but worth it.
    GotFog, Oeths, Ocho NA and 3 others like this.
  16. Johannes Carlsson

Johannes Carlsson Spreadsheet Racer

Oddometer:
    I just bought the Marrakesh and wish i took the Baja S4 instead. About pockets i love the tigh pockets on my Mojave ITB pants. Like that they don't have the flap to cover the zipper.

BTW i had a beeting with the road today on the T700, stupid Scorpion Rally STR sucks on sandy/rocky roads. Bent the bar and shortened the clutch lever.
    The Marrakesh jacket stayed intact but sadly my arm now has a "big" cut from the crash so the D30 don't really stay in place and i think coverage could be better.

What's bad about the all "mesh" like the Marrakesh is that speed air doesn't inflate the jacket and the back protector sits on your back like a wet rug.
  17. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I find the armor to be pretty mobile on the Baja in stock setup too. The forearm adjusters don’t do much to snug it down, but switching to a more cupped armor like Forcefield helped a lot with security. LP series D3O is pretty flat and not that big.
    Gondul likes this.