Klim Baja S4 - opinions yet?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by spuh, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got mine in today, correct size this time it fits great not much different in feel than the induction honestly which is good. I put my CE lvl 2 back protector in, and threw on a base layer and fleece mid layer and still fit very well so with the Enduro S4 jacket will be g2g for winter. I also tried the water bladder pocket, unfortunately I am not too impressed right off the bat with this one. I just put in a 1.5L bladder so nothing too big and with the bladder full it pulls the back of the collar down and chokes a bit. With the bladder half full not so much but still not great.
    levain and MikeCMP like this.
  2. MikeCMP

MikeCMP Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I'm not shocked by that, it makes sense, but unfortunate that it chokes. too bad you can not zip the front of your jacket to your pants :)
    Madman4049 likes this.
  3. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    LOL yah I guess if you're into kink and asphyxiation then the bladder choking thing will be a perk probably to some:). There are velcro strips in the bladder pocket but they are too high to support the bladder, maybe with a kidney style bladder it would work better dunno not gonna spend the money to find out. If I'm missing some vital bit of info someone please let me know I'd like the feature to work.
    Xchemie and levain like this.
  4. Ulfhednar_42

Ulfhednar_42 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked up the Baja S4 set about 10 days ago. I wanted a full mesh option for Texas and possibly Arizona. Been on a few 100 mile rides since then. Decided to spring for the waterproof upper and lower even if there isn’t a short option yet. Very happy with the Baja as long as the temperature was over 65. Under 65 I’d want the wind protection of the Enduro.

5’9” 215 - 48” Chest 40/30 Pant size (42” natural waist)

XL Jacket 40 Short pants. Tried the L and 38 on. The L jacket was better for arm length, worse in the shoulder/torso. Pants were clearly one size too small (skinny mesh?)
  5. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kidney belt will prevent the hydration pack pulling.
    Madman4049 likes this.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I've been looking at this jacket too.

I'm 180lbs 40" chest and wear a Klim latitude jacket in a medium. Fits great with some room.

In the Induction I fit in a large. Med is too tight. Might just be the cut?
    Maybe the Latitude just fits loose & thus why it works?

Trying to figure out if this jacket has the stretch & sizing to work in a medium & will I have room to add a thermal layer if needed?

Seems the over Enduro S4 is the wind solution.
  7. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, got the gloves today. Definitely size down. Usually I do large but medium fits well.

Will see if I can buy the rest of the kit at a later time.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I use a Kriega R15 backpack and the comfort is amazing even full with water.
    I use it for all sports.

I find I drink more if I have a valve in front of me vs a seperate bottle. Also makes an ideal place to clip my Garmin InReach Mini...which you want on you vs the bike if you eject.
    GF-kam and levain like this.
  9. Ulfhednar_42

Ulfhednar_42 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got the enduro jacket and pants.

Same size fits over the Baja S4 just fine. Both Jacket and Pants.

The pants are a bit long as they don’t offer a 31” inseam option, but once zipped up over a pair of mid-height motorcycle boots they won’t be an issue.
  10. dmitriy_adv

dmitriy_adv Dmitriy M

Oddometer:
    Do you have any other Klim gloves? Is the material pretty stretchy?

I'm curious how the fit compares to let's say a recent version of Klim Dakar or Mojave Pro. Since they slimmed up their glove fit in the past 3-4 years, I can't seem to wear any of their gloves comfortably.
  11. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No other Klim gloves, my Large measurement is for Astars. The material does feel stretchy.
  12. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Klim tends to be "american fit", generally a size smaller then the Italian brands for the same fit.
  13. dmitriy_adv

dmitriy_adv Dmitriy M

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I have wider hands with shorter fingers and tend to wear medium size gloves. Many gloves don't fit me well because either the fingers are too long or the palm is now wide enough and my hands end up hurting after about 30 minutes. I have older Klim gloves that fit me awesome, but after they changed their sizing a few years ago they seem to run too narrow for me. I have a similar problem with A-stars gloves.
  14. MikeCMP

MikeCMP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Baja and Enduro jacket set coming to me. I'll pot what I think as well. I have a pair of Carlsbad pants, like a previous poster said, I'd rather not mess with a water proof layer on the legs, though the Klim enduro look like very nice leg waterproofing.

Mike
    Madman4049 likes this.
  15. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    That was me lol, I'm basically following what Lyndon Poskitt does for his rtw and dakar layering system to minimize gear and reduce time spent dicking with layering. Please let me know how the enduro S4 works and fits in the back pouch of the Baja S4 jacket. I have a rev-it rain jacket in the back of mine right now.
    MikeCMP likes this.
  16. MikeCMP

MikeCMP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only thing I am curious about is the length of the rain jacket compared to the rise of the Carlsbad. Other issue might be wicking, since the mesh jacket will be over the Carlsbad and under the enduro, chances are water could make its way up.

Mike
  17. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The rain jacket enduro s4 is seriously overpriced.
    It is too big to stow in the back pocket.
    There are other stretchable rain jacket in the market and cost a lot cheaper.
    One of the alternative is Dainese Storm rain jacket. It is stretcable and the packed size is also smaller. They are 3x cheaper than the Enduro S4. The only disadvantage is that there is no vent on the Dainese Storm jacket.
    levain likes this.
  18. MikeCMP

MikeCMP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NOW you tell me. I have been looking for rain gear, even started a thread for it, everyone’s suggestions were ost,y. It made anymore. It’s alright though, I will see how well it works out if it’s no good I’ll send it back.
    Thanks for the tip on the Daniele stuff, will keep in mind

Mike

edit to add, I am trying to be a little funny, I do appreciate the info, I looked at rain gear for a while and just good not find stuff that was well reviewed, and not discontinued.
  19. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    We'll see, I bought one anyway to go with my Baja S4 which is so far the best jacket I've had. That dude Kyle Bradshaw from chaparrel moto fit his in the back pocket just fine and I have a rev-it rain jacket that is surely thicker than the enduro in the back of mine right now also fits just fine. I have lots of high end to mid end rain gear and shells from Arcteryx, Outdoor Research, and some lesser high end like the Rev-It. If it is as breathable and stretchable as they advertise it should be a pretty solid contender. There are alot of factors to consider, sure there may be other stretchable and breathable rain jackets, but how many of them also prioritize abrasion resistance and durability while staying packable and including features like a stowable hood?
  20. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure that the Enduro S4 prioritizes abrasion resistance, any sort of thicker nylon or overlays is nearly impossible to reconcile with weight and packability. I also had a 4 way stretch Schoeller waterproof jacket that cost me $150 at one point; the standout feature on the Enduro is that back vent - that's about the only thing you won't find easily in the outdoor wear world. It's not terribly out of line for moto specific enduro shells though, ~$50-70 more then the Mosko Deluge, but does have those vents.

I don't think that Schoeller's water column rating is nearly as good as some of the other membranes out there (eVent / Gore / Toray) - but it should be just fine for warmer weather.