Klim Baja S4 - opinions yet?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by spuh, Jan 24, 2020.

1. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you need to wait a generation or two when klim comes out with the latest and greatest complete with "new lighter weight materials":lol3:lol3:lol3
  2. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure why you need the overshell jacket to be abrasion resistant, isn't Baja S4 already extremely abrasion resistant?
    Kyle replied my comment in his youtube video agreed that the rain jacket is too big for the back pocket. They do fit but the pocket will be super tight and may make you uncomfortable at the waist area. He already feedback this issue to KLIM.
    Dainese Storm Rain jacket does have the similar hood design and it is 2x cheaper.
  3. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Taichi rain jacket, there is a similar back vent.
    It only cost me USD50
  4. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitely!
    Most likely i'll go for the Dainese Storm jacket and save the money for the upcoming global recession. :D
  5. typeamark

typeamark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought Baja gear but been too cold here to ride it. Still using heated jacket under my Carlsbad.
  6. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you stop riding when it rains, gets cold, or just do highway riding? If so then abrasion resistance of your outer shell doesn't matter. If you ride off-road or wear around camp like the Baja/Enduro gear was made for then abrasion resistance matters just as much in the rain gear as the main jacket lest a branch tear a hole riding through the woods or you take a spill on some rocks and roots.

My Rev-It rain jacket pushes out the pocket in back too and it's laminated can't imagine the enduro packs much/any bigger. It's not what I would call uncomfortable, noticeable at first sure, I guess if you have a 12 pack gut instead of a 6 pack it might be a problem. I fall around an 8 pack, I have abs but I like steak and potatoes too so there's a thin cushion layer over said abs. Sounds like you've made your mind up that Dainese is your soup and Klim is overpriced so :thumbup
  7. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, options are pay big bux or use a cheap rain shell and carry duct tape. Patch the tears to get you home and replace as needed.
    I'm also concerned about damage to the inside of the rain shell; Superfabric has been seen to abrade gas tank paint in short order. I wonder what it'll do to the inside of a rain shell?
  8. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t see how the Enduro is more abrasion resistant then a generic Gore Packlite shell. Do you know something about the denier of the face fabric, or does it have reinforcement paneling somehow?
  9. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    So what happens when your journey is months not days? Once I retire from the mil in a year, taking 6 months to visit all national parks and anything else I want. I'll spend the big bucks once, I'm also minimizing total apparel which though you didn't ask is why I'm getting Carlsbad pants not Baja/Enduro. Venting isn't as vital for lower body and I really really hate fuc$ing with rain pants. It's also why I'm not cheaping out on wind/rain layer, the Enduro IS the final word in whether you stay dry and warm when wearing a mesh jacket. Not the baja, not the mid or base layers, they're all useless if soaked/penetrated by wind, it's an uber important layer why go cheap? I'm sure they have considered the superfabric question given the two garments were designed to work together. Of course it abrades paint, superfabric is tiny dots of ceramic or resin, that's like saying keys scratch paint.

Definitively not yet, but through powers of deduction lol I have to conclude that a $300 shell is superior to a $100ish one. Even other rain jackets in Klim's lineup are cheaper by nearly half but for touring use. Another clue is Schoeller, makers of some pretty badass materials new age materials a breathable, stretchable, lightweight rain/wind layer. The Packlite is a 2 layer gore not 3 like other Klim gore, nor is it marketed for hard use adv/off-road use, it's an occasional garment meant to sit packed 99% of the time. Mine should be here Thursday then I can/will compare to the other 3 technical shells I have.

Here's what I do know/believe, I've spent 19 years working on everything from F-16's to bombers and just like aviation Klim spends a metric shit ton on R&D, more than most. Show me another carbon helmet with Koroyd, Fidloc, and a transition visor at 3lbs? My Krios Pro is miles better in every regard than my $1000 Schuberth that now sits on a shelf. I don't sweat the uber tiny details because I trust they've done their homework. Just like engineers that design fighter jet engines know what they're doing...clears throat GE is better than Pratt...just saying. I've busted my ass and bled to be able to afford nice things in life so I tend to buy the best I can, within reason. I've had Firstgear not impressed, Alpinestars ehh jacket, still wear their boots, Rev-It pretty hardcore but over complicated, heavy, seemingly more focus on looks than functionality "Cayenne Pro, heaviest and hottest mesh pants on planet earth with really uncomfortable knee armor and for some reason really really thick material" returned those quickly. Finally Klim, not super attractive gear, kinda bland but super cool tech being used they get my money 90% of the time. Haven't done Dainese their cut doesn't jive with my shape and design screams millenial tw%t imho can't speak to their stuff. Between motorcycles and ultralight backpacking I've spent a fortune on technical "clothing" it's sad really lol but I do have lots of experience in it;)
    5001craig and typeamark like this.
  10. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't stop riding when it rains.
    I need simple rain overshell jacket, stretchable and the packed size must be small.
    Abrasion resistant on a rain overshell is not important to my usage.
  11. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The fabric on Enduro feel like normal waterproof fabric.
    Can't tell whether it has any abrasion resistant at all.
  12. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I uh. Just FYI, all the schoeller fabrics being used here have been on offer for quite a while as far as I'm aware (although maybe they're using what seems to be a newer version of c_change with a higher water column?). I had a couple different Spidi jackets with the same mesh as the Baja uses from >10yrs ago; Rev'it and BMW have as well. I've owned outdoor jackets using schoeller's c_change membrane that are 4way stretch as well. The Klim Krios is a rebrand of a Nishua carbon helmet; although the Pro does add some better stuff to that base design.

With all that being said, I don't think the Enduro's price point is terribly out of line for motorcycle specific outer layers, and certainly cheaper then a lot of technical outdoors stuff. Up to the buyer if the value is there!
    Oeths likes this.
  13. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    Then a $300 rain jacket is not needed for you, get an $80 rev-it, Olympia, Dianese, or whatever put it in your luggage and forget about it. The problem with those cheaper or even super compact rain jackets is they typically don't breathe. We had this problem backpacking with some of the ultralight/ultracompact rain shells. Yah they kept the rain out but you got just as wet and even worse smelly from your own sweat because they didn't breathe for shit.
    Yah I had this mesh in other pants the mesh was great the pants they were in not so much, said that above. The Nishua doesn't come with koroyd, fidlock, a transition visor, nor does it come with an operable front intake. The original Krios yah it's a mirror the pro not so much.

I'd agree it's really affordable vs other shells, none of my gore is stretchable so that's a big turn-on. On one extreme you can go to walmart and buy a frog togs in every podunk town, but you'll be buying alot of them. Or you can buy good once and have it survive years of rough use in the woods scraping against thorns, rocks, branches. Not melting into a pile of goo when you get close to the camp fire, etc. My OR is prolly 4 years old done some pretty intense scrambling in the woods with it no tears, scratches, etc buy once cry once.
  14. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @ madman4049, I agree with your sentiment on buying quality and buying it once. My primary reservation about the Enduro is its size; I prefer to keep rain gear safely packed away. If the weather looks bad, I try to hole up somewhere interesting and wait out the storm. Get back to riding when the sun peeks out again. So rain gear is largely emergency supply. I you don't have the luxury of time and have to press on regardless the weather, performance takes precedence over packability and expensive gear is well worth the cost. (Your example of buying Frogg Toggs at Wallyworld happened to me one trip when all the forecasts said absolutely no chance of rain; you can guess what happened.). I'm still concerned about abrasion from the Superfabric, metric shit ton of r&d or no. At least with Klim Enduro over Klim Baja, Klim's warranty should cover any Superfabric related damage, right? (Cue the Klim warranty threads)
    Please let us know your impressions of the Enduro when you get it.
  15. MikeCMP

MikeCMP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Baja and enduro showed up the other day, I like them both. I’ve almost always worn mesh jackets, with some combo of over shell. I think this is a pretty good combination they go well together. The enduro blocks the wind perfectly, and I can wear a layer or two under the Baja. My tourmaster heated vest fits well, the jacket liner. It so much but it’s got thick sleeves, it has trouble under most of my jackets.

wearing just the Baja it flows a lot of air, more than my other mesh jackets.
    So far pretty happy with it.

Mike
  16. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    Hey yah for sure, I'm curious about pack size too but not concerned, will know for sure Thursday. I have a pretty thick rain layer in the back of my baja now, it's compact enough and isn't really noticeable. When you first shove a layer in that pocket yah it's poofy but then compacts a bit after an hour or so then stays that way. Second and this is NOT a knock on kyle bradshaw, his vids are phenomenal and what he does is top notch. But he didn't fold that rain jacket properly when stowing it in his video, I fold for least bulk and to stage for quick donning. I can literally pull over, unzip pouch, whip the rain jacket on, zip it and roll maybe 1-3 min total never shutting the bike off or getting off the bike.

I always have a rain layer and will ride through some torrential shit for a while but there comes a point when even I reach my frustration with it. I carry a small silnylon tarp from my hammock days in the top case for such instances. Whole thing with stakes/lines packs to about a 1L bottle size and is all dyneema cord, titanium hardware, etc. Overkill yes but I had it from my ultralight backpacking excess gear so bike it goes. I'm not concerned about superfabric wear but yah if it happens there is Klim's warranty and I for sure won't be the only one to raise the flag. I have never had any issues with Klim CS yet, I've called them a few times over the years and they are great every time.
  17. wagley

wagley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not Klim, but I have the 2018 BMW Rallye Jacket that has the over/under waterproof shell. I keep that in an add on pocket that velcros on top of my Wolfman tank bag. Very easy to get it out quickly and I always have it even when I don't have my main Jacket with me (its Florida, sometimes ride in just a jersey with the forcefield pro shirt underneath, I also have a Klim Induction). The waterproof shell never leaves the tank bag (other than for rain) and I will take off the other bags, but I never ride the bike without the tank bag.

Attached Files:

18. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The more I think about it, the more I wonder if there's a case to be made for the Dakar suit over the Baja; a wider temperature range with the zippers zipped up. Has anyone had experience with both? If so, how does the ventilation compare?
  19. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    No first hand experience but lots of folks say the Dakar line is hot and doesn't vent well.

As a separate note unrelated to above I can 100% confirm the Enduro S4 is worth the money. First it fits in the back pouch just fine, yes it's a bit poofy but it compacts after an hour or so. Second it is 100% waterproof and on the same level as all gore I've used regarding staying dry, being breathable letting moisture from under layers out, and the stretchability is downright awesome.

I went for a couple hour ride in thunderstorm/downpour today and intentionally let the Baja get a bit wet before putting the Enduro on. When I stopped to don the rain jacket I pulled over, de-gloved, unzipped pouch, pulled it out and on, zipped up then gloves on all in maybe 2 minutes. I did not during the entire donning process turn the bike off, get off the bike, or even put the kickstand down. I rode for about an hour through downpour then pulled off at a boat launch, sat and walked around the bank with helmet, rain jacket, and all still on enjoying the river for about 20 minutes. Following that I turned around and rode home, still pouring. When I pulled in the garage both I and the previously slightly wet Baja were bone dry. I draped the Enduro over a dining chair while I grilled and ate steak downstairs, when I was done and came up the Enduro was completely dry ready to pack back into the pouch on the Baja.

TLDR this guy totally believes it's $300 well spent. I'm gonna use the hell out of this both on the bike and as a rain/wind layer at camp off the bike. I was gonna upload pics but unlike the jacket my phone didn't fare so well and has been refusing a cable all day for moisture in the socket. :lol3
    Sharkbyte, Brtp4 and eakins like this.
  20. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer: