Klim Baja S4 - opinions yet?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by spuh, Jan 24, 2020.

1. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm ~43" chest, moderately athletic, and the Dakar forearms were way too tight on me once I stuck pads in there. Klim's sizing is so inconsistent.
  2. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL... agreed. Whoever models for Klim must be fat with no ass and pipe cleaners for arms and legs.
  3. Aviatordoc

Aviatordoc BMW R1200 GSA LC and S1000XR rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    So true.
    Steve Glenn likes this.
  4. pplummer

pplummer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just pulled the trigger on a set and I've got about 250 miles on it.

I'm 6'2, 220lbs 48 chest, 34" inseam. Every Klim jacket I tried on fit so weird, I thought I'd never buy anything Klim. I called them directly to ask them some questions about the suit and she mentioned that they made some substantial fitting modifications for the S4 compared to other models, so I thought i'd give it a go. Worse case, return it and go with my plan B.

I ordered the XL jacket, 38 Tall Pants. Pants touch the ground with no boots, pants are 1" above floor with my Sidi adventures on, and 2" up in riding position. I probably could have gotten away with the standard version, but I was a little gun-shy because all my pants seem to come up short unless I have them made.

Jacket fit is a tad big with a T Shirt for me, but fits absolutely perfect with a mid layer (BMW Windstopper). It also fits perfect with my heated jacket liner

Pants are a 38" and I float between a 36-38". The 38 fits true to my current waist which is a 38, and there's plenty of room for me to cinch in when I lean out this summer. I'd say a good 4" if I had to guess.

Pads fits really nice out of the box. I need to adjust the knee pads a bit, but they're ok. I love the 45 degree pant pockets; what a great idea. The zippers seem a little sketchy, but I am used to overkill Aerostich zips.

My impression on the suit is that this is a fine three season outfit. I was shocked how much air the jacket flows - I'd say more than my Airflow 3 jacket. I was actually chilly in 72 degree riding temps. The pants barely flowed any air, but I expected that. Between the pads and my GSA, it's hard to say, but I'm satisfied so far. The stretch fabric is a nice touch - plenty of room to move around. I do wish it had some side cinches on the jacket. It really doesn't need it - just a personal thing - I tend to like my jackets fitting fairly snug when riding

Ignore the COVID hair

Attached Files:

Some_Dude likes this.
  5. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t know why Klim is so averse to lower back adjusters either. It’s nice to gather material in so a jacket isn’t floating around your middle, and for us folks who have more of a V shape we can feel like we’re swimming in the jacket otherwise.

My shipment got delayed a day, heading in to two days of rain before ill be able to take a ride in em!
    BruceWayne likes this.
  6. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was shocked with the airflow too coming from an Induction I didn't expect a bulkier jacket to actually breathe better but it sure does. As far as pants I have the same experience regarding airflow or rather lack of. But to be fair on large 1200 ADV bikes like we ride no pants really flow air well because no air really gets to the legs with the massive tanks and fairings in the way. For that reason and to not have to have a rain layer I went with Carlsbad pants to pair with my Baja/Enduro top.

I can tell Klim changed their sizing and fitment and IMHO for the better. My fit experience is similar, exceptional, I have several thousand miles on mine now and love it. The first thing I did was add CE2 D3O in all pockets back, shoulders, and elbow. I ordered a kidney belt too, it's not a daily use item but for long rides I use it. The induction was always good in the body but arms were weird, the Baja doesn't have the long skinny arms. As far as pants the Carlsbad fit much better than any other riding pants I've tried and are a vast improvement from their Voyage Air pants.

If not using mid layers and just wearing a t-shirt I keep the Enduro S4 jacket in the Baja back pouch. When the weather turns cold if I take the Enduro S4 out of the back pouch I can very comfortably wear all of my winter layers. By all layers I mean Aggressor 3.0 thermal, yukon 1/4 zip, and torque jacket all at the same time under the Baja. It does get a bit bulky in elbows with level 2 armor but that's to be expected, the enduro still fits over all of it easily. There's still room for a heated vest if need-be.
  7. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the structure of the stiffer dynatec mesh likely creates better airgaps that facilitate airflow along the skin. A couple companies use spacer/3D mesh to create a constant, uncrushable, gap along the body - otherwise with a low structure mesh jacket it kind of gets pressed against your chest especially which actually reduces the airflow.

Dainese was doing a full 3d bubble liner in some of their jackets for a while, and for an incredible example check out Stadler's newest stuff - that use chanelled 3d mesh to literally create directional airflow away from the vents around your body and out the exhausts.
  8. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got my set in: Size Large jacket / 34reg pants. I'm 5'10", ~195ish, 43-44" chest, athletic build, true 34" waist. The large is quite roomy - @spuh I was able to get an A* Bionic Pro compression on WITH the D3O pads still in and it was only a tiny bit tight, you should have no issues wearing it over a compression suit of your choice with the right size outer jacket.

Jacket: Immediately noticed the collar front pushing into my neck. Not sure if it's because it was loose enough that the backpad weight pulls it back or what, maybe a more form fitting medium would avoid that. Arms are a bit long (34/35 dress shirt), but snugging the arm adjuster down helped. Ultimately would suggest trying a size down from the chart first, if you're a more athletic build.

Pants: 34reg was much roomier at the waist then the brand new ITB Dakars I got to try as well; similar to the Marrakesh. With the adjusters at their default, it's at least a 35" waist circumference if not wider. I had to really snug the adjusters down to make it feel like it wasn't falling off me. Some really nice details: the mesh liner is a much heavier and more slippery gauge at the bottom of the boots where it'll be over your buckles, reducing wear & avoiding snagging. Very roomy pants, larger knee box then the Dakars - if you wanted to use a knee brace I don't think you'd have any issues getting it in here. Even the leather inner knee panels are perforated, a nice touch. No issues fitting over my A* Toucans, I'd imagine they'd fit just fine over true Motocross boots as well.

I think this is the most compelling product Klim has produced in a while. I'm a little baffled by the use of Level 1 armor in something made for off-road use where I'd guess you're more likely to take multiple spills then on road, but beyond that - good stuff. Just be aware this is a very relaxed fit, so if you're a more trimmer/athletic/euro size - go one down and give that a try. The pants especially are VERY nice, the best mesh ones I've worn - I think you're getting close to double the pant for double the price from the Mojaves. I'm going to stick the set I just got in the Flea Market, and order a pair of 32R pants in to try on in either the black or grey.
    Dale402 likes this.
  9. sailnbike

sailnbike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is that a one way zipper. If so that would stop me from buying it. Thanks
  10. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The jacket main zip is a one way, yes.
  11. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    My local shop was having a special and I wanted to support a local struggling business. An Enduro showed up today and I'm on the fence. First thought is damn this is heavy. And, clunky. And, it only has a water resistant main zipper with no gutter behind it. No adjustment on the collar. The heft might be good for me living in Vermont. I wasn't expecting it to pack as small as a lightweight shell, but space is limited for me. It's almost like a soft shell.

Has anyone other than @Madman4049 been caught in the rain? Not a little shower, but all day soaking? I'm not trusting the main zip is all, and, from memory, the collar is identical to a stow away I had years ago. I ripped that to shreds or I'd still be wearing it, but I'd get water down the collar occasionally. Still, one of the things that drew me to this was that it looked like a modern, old version, of a Stowaway with the zipped hood. I've been looking for another for years. What made it great, made it leak a few times on me though.

Build is great, and as mentioned by others, it works well with the Baja S4. I wish the cuffs were larger diameter. My heated jacket fits great under the Baja. Adding the Enduro is tight, but doable. The 3 have to work together for me to keep, but it could be the most versatile setup I've ever had. I, reluctantly, got run-me-over-in-the-rain-black. The Klim billboard is subdued but still there. Spec is great on this, and I think price is fair if it performs. Not ready to rip the tags off sadly.
  12. firerider48

firerider48 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I intent to buy a Baja/enduro set soon. It sounds like after reading this tread the Baja jacket runs a little large. I am one of those in between guys as far as Klim jackets go, 45" chest 31" arms 6'0" 210 lbs. Normally a Klim Lg. is a bit to small especially when in an aggressive riding position and the XL is a bit big and normally I opt for a little more room than not enough. That being said I have 3 Klim XL jackets (Carlsbad, induction, Traverse) and thinking I might need a Large in the Baja/Enduro. I would also need a little room under the jacket for a base layer and occasionally a heated jacket. I would appreciate some input on jacket sizing from riders with some experience with the Baja/Enduro gear. I normally wear a 36R in Klim pants and plan on ordering a 36R in the Baja/Enduro unless someone out there has some experience with the pant sizing. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new set of gear so any input would be appreciated!

Also wondering if anyone has tried the kidney belt to held keep the hydration bladder from pulling the jacket collar down? I really like the idea of the built in bladder especially with the heavily vented gear but if it's going to be uncomfortable I may not add it to the jacket.

Thanks Brian
  13. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might be XL, but you're probably in between. See above with mine and a heated jacket. I'm slightly smaller at 43 chest and 195#. My jackets are L. It's a perfect fit. One of the best I've ever had, but while the heated jacket fits great under the Baja, and still fits well with just a tshirt, adding the Enduro makes it all a little on the tight side. No heated jacket and it feels great with Baja/Enduro combo. Note that, as usual, on me, if it feels tight it's only around the IPA region. I like my beer:drink:drink:drinkIf you're a slim, sexy type, you might still be a L.
  14. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m a 43” chest, but its all in the upper body. The L is very roomy, and I could easily get a warming layer under (or over). Heck, I fit a compression suit under it with the elbow and shoulder pads still in place. I’d say try the large first if you’re planning to use it as a summer jacket mainly, with either the Enduro overtop or at most a wind shirt under for cool mornings. If you’re trying to make it a more variable jacket like levain is, try the XL first!
  15. firerider48

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input guys! Very helpful. And I hate to say it but slim and sexy was quite a few years ago, LOL!
    Thanks, Brian
  16. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone tested the Baja + Enduro combo in colder environments? Wondering if I can do with this combo for most situations (plus layers/heated gear) or if one still needs two sets of jackets (winter/summer).
  17. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plenty of people using a layered system with various mesh jackets & waterproof shells. As long as you've got room to add in your layers, I don't see why the Baja + Enduro combo would be any different; I'm pretty sure the membrane in the Enduro is a wind blocking one.
    Ocho NA likes this.
  18. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the KLIM kidney belt.
    It does help to prevent the hydration bladder from pulling the jacket collar down.
    Dale402 likes this.
  19. firerider48

Oddometer:
    Thanks Orths! I’m going to be ordering my new Baja and Enduro set soon. I’m going to include the kidney belt in the order. Thanks for the input!

I was able to try on the Baja and Enduro S4 sets today. As I had mentioned in an earlier post I am one of those in between guys. And as it turns out the extra large is going to be the way to go for me. The large would’ve been a little too small for base layers but the extra large will allow me some room to add a couple of base layers when needed. I have 3 Klim extra large jackets, the Carlsbad, traverse and induction. So as usual I will be buying the extra large Baja and Enduro jackets. So, in a nutshell, IMHO, the S4 Baja and Enduro are running the same as far as sizing goes as the other Klim jackets that I own. I hope that helps someone. Looking forward to getting my gear and trying it out!
    Thanks Brian
  20. Angryphoenix

Angryphoenix n00b

Oddometer:
    I just rode in my Baja suit yesterday and was shocked at the airflow. I will be perfectly happy riding this in really hot weather and the build quality is insane. I took the 790R into the forest and got a good workout in the whoops and completely forgot I was wearing a heavy-ish suit. I had full range of motion and it kept me cool. No regrets on this purchase.
    ZoomerP likes this.