Klim Baja S4 - opinions yet?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by spuh, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Aviatordoc

Aviatordoc BMW R1200 GSA LC and S1000XR rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did a 250+ mile ride yesterday around eastern NM with the Baja suit on. Lots of airflow while it was 96* ambient, but the evaporative fluid loss was noticeable. Hydration is key. Take your Camelbak. I generally dont like to carry a bladder in my jacket, but prefer to ride with the camelbak.
  2. SebasLima

SebasLima n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi! Has anybody tried the pants wearing knee braces?

Regards
  3. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes
    I’m wearing size 32 pants with Leatt C-frame pro XL/XXL.

4. SebasLima

SebasLima n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I want to use the pants with the Mobius ones...
  5. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They’re super roomy AND stretch. Way bigger in that area then even the off-road pants like the Mojave / Dakar. I can’t see you having an issue tbh.
  6. SebasLima

SebasLima n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, I measure exactly the same. But how tall are you?

Regards, Sebastian
  7. yoohah

yoohah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would it be a successful combination for a summer riding (tarmac+gravel) to use the Badlands Pro pants and then the Baja S4+Enduro jackets? I am thinking of "normal" summer with temperatures between 15-30 degrees of C and sporadic rain showers. I have old mesh pants and jacket (but also Badlands Pro suit) and always feel that pants can be a little thicker (=GoreTex) and upper body needs a mesh at least when hot. It will be quicker when the rain starts to put only a rainproof jacket layer on.
  8. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got mine and it fits perfect. Great suit, plan to buy the enduro when it gets colder.
  9. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I use Carlsbad pants not Badlands but yes it works great, got dumped on this weekend riding to a camping spot. Pulled over whipped the Enduro S4 jacket on and zipped up the pants in no time. Was about 85F here, a bit warm in the legs but stayed nice and dry.
    yoohah likes this.
  10. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm debating ordering, or stopping by the Rigby store on the way up to Salmon for some riding. 5'-9", 42 chest, 38" waist, 185. While some of my old Klim 34 pants fit, the newer models require a 36 short. Only the gray are made in short but that's fine. My reason for getting the Baja is to avoid wearing body armor, which I generally do under my L size Traverse (which fits fine). It is hot in AZ, NV and UT during the summer, and up north too, and my hope is that for cold temps I can add layers under the jacket and put the Enduro over to stay warm, until the heater in the sky does it's thing. Currently I just remove the traverse and wear body armor over my jersey. Sounds like the medium jacket would be OK, but maybe not if putting on layers for the cold.
  11. firerider48

firerider48 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took my Baja/Enduro gear for it's maiden voyage yesterday, a 500 miler with five buddies. We rode low elevations with temps up to 98 degrees. Into the mountains with temps in the 75/80 range, lots of windy forest roads and plenty of technical two-track jeep roads finishing off along the coast where temps at sunset were in the low 60's. We were on the bikes for approximately 14 hours. For point of reference I am a 59 y/o retired firefighter. Most of my life I have been a trail rider and got into adv bikes about 3 years ago and I'm riding a 1090R. The ride took place in Southern California. I bought a kidney belt and a 2L bladder to go with the jacket. When I left my house at 5:20 am I was wearing a short sleeve wick-away t-shirt and Mojave jersey under the Baja and Enduro jackets, temps in the low 60's with a 1 hour ride via freeway to our meeting point. I was comfortable at freeway speeds, a little on the cool side which I prefer. I rode with the Enduro shell until temps started to approach 70, around mid-morning. I never wore the pants again but used the jacket for the evening ride back home.

Cons (IMHO):
    - The 2L Klim bladder hose is a little to short and I found myself pulling on the bite valve which pulled the bladder hose up into my armpit (recommended routing by Klim) and tilting my head forward a little to get a drink on the fly. I had the bladder compartment set for the 2L bag but it will also accept a 3L bag. I only filled the bladder half full as I tried the set up on the day before the ride and thought the weight of the full bladder pulling the back of the collar down was a bit uncomfortable (the velcro bladder attachment point is just below the collar). The kidney belt did help support some of the bladder weight.

Pros:
    - Super comfortable! I own a lot of Klim gear and there were times yesterday that I forgot I had a jacket on. I like the pants even more! I never felt any uncomfortable pulling when moving on the bike. IMHO, the 4-way stretch material is really forgiving when moving around on the bike and excels in the technical stuff.
    - Excellent ventilation! I was surprised how much air moved through the jacket. I really like my Induction jacket, it was my warm weather jacket until now. The Baja jacket really shined in the hot temps and the pants vented well even while sitting. IMO You are going to have to carry an additional layer or two with you especially on multi-day rides for varying weather conditions. I felt that the Baja gear was at it's best while I was on the pegs navigating the technical sections.
    - When I first put the jacket on I was worried it was going to be a little heavy. I was wrong, as I mentioned earlier there were times I forgot I had it on, it rode very light.
    - I'm very pleased with the quality of the gear.

A multi-day ride is coming up and if I experience something note worthy I'll post it.
    I hope this helps someone!
    Brian
    Zubb, ZoomerP, Dale402 and 4 others like this.
  12. SASteve

SASteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ll second your thoughts on the pants. I didn’t get the jacket, just don’t think I will find a jacket I like as much as my Moto Port air mesh, but these S4 pants are phenomenal.
    STLR likes this.
  13. Cooperkendall

Cooperkendall n00b

Oddometer:
    Could you tell a significant difference in airflow between the Baja and Induction? Wore my Induction out today and it seemed to flow less than I remember...maybe it was just hot outside
  14. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I personally find that mesh doesn't flow well without structure to keep a gap that permits air flow around the body. Most mesh jackets I've worn wind up pressed into the chest, and never seem to get much breeze around the back either. The stiffer dynatec mesh and panelled structure of the Baja probably does a better job keeping a thin layer of air moving around the body.
  15. firerider48

firerider48 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my opinion the Baja S4 jacket flows more air than the induction jacket. I wore the induction Jacket all last year and have only one ride on the Baja, but again IMHO, the Baja jacket moves more air. The induction jacket is a great jacket! But if you’re interested in maximum airflow I feel the Baja is superior.
  16. yoohah

yoohah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After a couple of weeks I am able to compare the Baja+Enduro to the Stadler Modul Evo (Touratech Companero). I have had the Stadler for a number of years and it is rugged piece of garment. Can’t destroy it by wearing it. Both suits are very similar by the specs. Of course there are some differences in material and style, but the temperature range and rainproofing are similar. I am riding in Nordic weather so the outer layer is also for the wind chill. Many times I have to put the outer layer on when starting riding early morning, temps are usually 10-20 C range. So my mesh suits are not for the desert conditions (as per Klim advertisement), but wide range of temperatures and also multiple rainy days when touring. Of course we have had our share of hot days recent years, normally very humid days. But in our climate those days are exceptions and one can’t get used to it.
  17. Sharkbyte

Sharkbyte Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the very same issue with the water bladder... Sadly I will not be utilizing this option on the new jacket.
    Madman4049 likes this.
  18. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'm not either, I ordered a kidney belt on someone else's recommendation which didn't help the bladder issue, oh well the kidney belt will be good for long rides anyway. I like the chin curtain to stay on my Krios anyway, without it people can't hear me phone calls if it's out so I'll just pull over to drink. If I'm doing trail stuff I'll take it out and use a separate Camelbak.
    Dale402 likes this.
  19. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Granted, I have almost zero experience with using a water bladder in a jacket, but intuitively, I just don't see how it could possibly ever work, unless the jacket had a built in harness like the adventure jacket. That's a lot of weight pulling back. It's gotta be supported somehow, but it does give manufacturers another line item on the pull tag.

I wish they'd leave all that extra shit off and drop the price as well as the weight. I'm guessing on the factory side, it doesn't cost them much more to add extra posckets, zippers, flaps, Velcro etc, so they add it making the jacket seem more "technical". Mosko has it right here. Simple is good.
    Madman4049 likes this.
  20. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    Yeah it sounds good in theory, in practice it's easier to just throw a camelbak on. I agree less is more I don't do the bomber badlands type stuff with 50 pockets, the last few years I rocked an Induction which had like 2 pockets. The hydration on the back would be great IF. it were an exterior accessible pocket with exterior hose routing that was quick and easy. On the Baja you have to kind of fish the tube blindly through the liner and it sticks out at your neck. I think the Rev-It's have it external and the tube routes over a shoulder that would make more sense. Oh well I didn't buy the Baja because of the hydration feature I just needed a new mesh jacket and wanted something more adv'ish than the induction. For that it works great.
    typeamark likes this.