Klim Baja S4 - opinions yet?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by spuh, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Sharkbyte

Sharkbyte Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good news for me! I talked to my local dealer. A & S in Sacramento CA they told me to return the Hydration bag for a full refund. I can't stress enough when possible given geography challenges the importance of building a good relationship with Brick and Mortar dealers. It can really make a difference in the level of service you may get.
    Dale402 and SASteve like this.
  2. Aviatordoc

Aviatordoc Hooligan extraordinaire Supporter

Oddometer:
    yep, I tote a hi viz Camelbak. Never used the "in the jacket bladder" feature in any jacket. Made an already heavy jacket too heavy. But the BS4 is quite light.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  3. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a Carlsbad top & bottom, and I'm looking for a better hot weather solution for riding slower, more technical trails. I like the Carlsbad pieces, but they can get hot at lower speeds. I'll be riding in 100F/38C temps with 30-50% humidity.

With that in mind, would I be cooler skipping a Baja jacket, and instead, wear a jersey with an armor shirt underneath? I can live without pockets, but I want impact protection.
  4. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can do what I do wear a Baja Jacket with Carlsbad pants, I ride in 100 and muggy just fine here in Louisiana. Yah legs get sweaty but nothings gonna stop that at those temps and lower body venting isn't as vital as upper body.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  5. 2whlin

2whlin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you ride the Baja jacket on tour where temps can be below 30 and 100, can you keep warm?
  6. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    Yes I have the Enduro S4 as the shell and for base and mid layers I have the Klim Aggressor 3.0 base, and Yukon pullover, and Torque Jacket. Staying warm is not a problem lol, I wouldn't use the Baja jacket for a trip to Alaska lol but for everything else it's great.
  7. 2whlin

2whlin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, you went all in! So you put the Torque jacket on over everything or does it fit under the Baja?
  8. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went from a Carlsbad set to a Dakar set. Much more breathable at the cost of basically no rain protection. I’ve never worn the Baja, but I have opted for the Enduro as a rain layer over my Dakar kit.

For protection, I find plastic roost protectors flow more air than compression suits. Good thing about either option is that you can ditch the jacket in slow stuff, then put the jacket back on for the ride back home.

With Klim, the D3O stuff can be pulled out of the jackets/pants and they can be used as a shell. I use the D3O stuff for everyday commuting, then pull the D3O out and run a pressure suit when dual-sporting.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  9. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    LOL yeah I was due for a major gear refresh, been a few years since I bought new gear. Not to mention I retire from the Air Force next year and wanted to be set up for the long 6-8 month trip of a lifetime I've been planning doing the TAT and seeing all National Parks. Yup so if I don't have the Enduro jacket stowed in the Baja all of that will fit under the baja, it is a bit snug with the torque too but it works. In all honesty though my intention was never to ride with all of that at once. The Torque is an at camp/around town jacket, if I ever need to ride in super cold I can but I'd rather a heated vest instead of the torque.
  10. 2whlin

2whlin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :thumbup
  11. Mordster

Mordster Wish I was riding, doesn't matter where to

Oddometer:
    @Some_Dude did you size up on the Enduro jacket or same size as the Dakar?

" but I have opted for the Enduro as a rain layer over my Dakar kit."
  12. Red liner

Red liner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Klim advices buy the same size, klim has built in the upsize.

Medium baja = medium enduro
    Mordster likes this.
  13. Some_Dude

Oddometer:
    Same size. Large over a large.
    Mordster likes this.
  14. Oilerjet

Oilerjet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just ordered the Baja suit with Enduro jacket. Couldn’t justify the cost of the enduro pants as I have some rain pants that will do for now. In case it wasn’t well known, Klim has a VIP program for military/LE/government that gives you a one time
    30% off coupon code for their website.

I have 2 questions for those that have the suit:

1. Any recommendations for a kidney belt? Klim was sold out when I bought the jacket so will have to look for something else. Curious if it is “standard” size opening for a kidney or I need a specific Klim belt.
    2. Can non-Klim water bladders be used? I assume so, but also don’t expect to actually use it, but would like to try. Expect I will use my camelbak for carrying water as I usually carry 2.5 L. Think that would be too heavy in the jacket itself.
  15. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a hidden long zipper right below the back protector pocket for fitting bigger kidney belt.
  16. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    The kidney belt pocket opens larger than the Klim kidney belt is wide, you should be able to use just about any kidney belt I would assume. If Klim is out get one from revzilla or elsewhere, I got one when I bought the suit hardly ever use it.
    The water bladder is cooler in theory than use, I didn't like it in the jacket one bit.
    Oilerjet likes this.
  17. Some_Dude

Oddometer:
    FWIW - I ordered the wrong size Enduro jacket (medium), and it fits fine over a large Dakar jacket.

I even tried stuffing it (compression armour, jersey, thermal mid layer, Dakar jacket, Enduro jacket), and it still fits fine.

I wouldn’t recommend it... just mentioning it to say that the Enduro has plenty of space.
  18. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    You could try a minimal hydration pack under your jacket, if you have the room and don't want to wear it on the outside.
    Something simple, like a Camelbak Octane Dart 50 might work, especially if it's underfilled a little.

[​IMG]
  19. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    I went ahead and ordered a Baja, so I'll be able to experiment with hydration options. I already have a 3L pack similar to the Octane Dart above that I'll probably wear over the jacket, but I'll give it a try under it, too.

I'm also going to try wearing a wind shirt under the jacket to see how well that works for some added weather protection. I have a Zpacks Ventum jacket that packs down smaller than a baseball, that will easily fit under a Baja jacket, can be used with an insulated layer, and can offer some light rain protection in a pinch. I see that as being more useful for me than carrying a Klim Enduro shell, since I'll be wearing a Carlsbad jacket when I'm concerned about getting cold & wet.

[​IMG]
    typeamark likes this.
  20. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Klim wind shirt that I always have packed with me. It is super compact and goes under my induction jacket for the cool mornings and evening rides. But I still have the enduro suit for 'real' warmth and weather protection.
    STLR and ZoomerP like this.