Klim Baja S4 - opinions yet?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by spuh, Jan 24, 2020.

1. GR8SKP

GR8SKP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m in need of mesh gear. Went to the dealer to buy/order the Marrakesh jacket yesterday but there’s no stock, so I may have to move up to the Baja offerings.

Has anyone who owns the black wished that they had gone for the lighter colour due to heat from the dark colour?
  2. Ccieurzo

Ccieurzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got my set and I have to agree with previous commenters that the jacket sizing is a bit funky. I am 5'6" with a 43" chest/34" waist and wear a large Latitude and Induction. The Baja S4 in large is too big for me. The sleeves and torso are quite a bit longer than the Induction. I can fit my Thor Impact Rig under the large without removing any of the built in armor. I realize that some of the added mobility is from the stretch panels, but with just a T shirt on, I have at least 2 inches of space at the chest without stretching the jacket. When I sit down on the bike, the fabric bunches up in front of me making it look like I'm a C cup. It's a bit disconcerting. I am thinking about sending it back for a medium, but I am worried that size may be too tight. Thoughts?
  3. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Better to try a Medium now than be stuck wondering if it'd fit better. I had something similar happen when shopping for pants, with the regular sizing being a little longer than I liked. I've never needed a Short pant before, but I'm glad I spent a few dollars to see which size I preferred.

Not that you shouldn't try a different size, but I think a generally loose fit is in keeping with the ventilation goals of the garment.
    Ccieurzo likes this.
  4. STLR

STLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    100%, but that is typical Klim from my experience. For reference, I am 5'10", 185#, with a 43" chest. I have tried on both Med and Lg S4 jackets, and walked away with the Lg as usual in Klim. Med fits me perfectly, until I add anything underneath (legit armor, wind shirt, mid layer, etc.). That leaves me swimming a bit in the Klim jackets, but I can at least move and breathe.
    I think @dragos has previously expressed his frustration with the lack of waist adjusters on their jackets and I'll agree wholeheartedly. I have a love-hate relationship that I've had to contend with. For this summer's commuting, I've been using the S4 pants which are amazing and fit well over jeans. For the jacket however, I've been using my Rukka Airventur more. It just fits my build better. I've found that I fare better in American designed pants and European designed jackets.
    Ccieurzo likes this.
  5. STLR

STLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go S4 and go lighter color, if you're after better protection, better ventilation, and less thermal radiation absorption. :thumbup
    Siorc likes this.
  6. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've worn jackets from pretty much every high end manufacturer. I'm surprised by these comments. I find my size Large Baja to fit pretty spot on. Agreed on the waist adjuster, but I don't find anything silly about the fit at all.
    Brtp4 and STLR like this.
  7. STLR

STLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I should have clarified, and will add that I would like for Klim to narrow the gap between sizes. That is where I tend to prefer European jackets, as I can get a more precise fit due to greater number of size offerings with smaller dimension changes. Also, they tend to me more tapered instead of barreled though the trunk. That is of utmost importance when relying on integrated armor to stay in position during the inevitable spill.
    Ccieurzo likes this.
  8. GR8SKP

GR8SKP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The large jumps in sizing seems to depend on the model too. My current release size large Latitude fits me like a glove but when I tried on the new Carlsbad the fit was horrible. Seems to be cut for beer bellies. I could almost wear the medium in the Carlsbad except the hip are ma was too tight.

Same thing with their helmets. Love the design and build quality but a medium wouldn’t go over my ears and the large was huge.
    Johannes Carlsson and STLR like this.
  9. GR8SKP

GR8SKP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I’ll have a look at the grey S4 tomorrow.

I’ll also need to decide on whether I get the matching pants and what I’ll do to keep the water out top and bottom. I’m wondering if the Carlsbad pants would be cool enough for light off road use, and not look too out of place next to the S4.
    STLR likes this.
  10. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Klim is well known for a huge jump from Medium to Large particularly, with Medium running a little bit smaller then average for that size. MotorcycleGear/NewEnough has been noting this for years on their product pages/demo mannequins.

Also, their love for box cuts may work well for the average american/british middle aged guy who's got quite a few pounds around the middle (the most common complaint on US retailer's european gear pages goes the other way), but leaving out adjusters means that those of us with a good athletic taper from chest to waist feel like we're wearing a bag. The Baja isn't as egregious in this way as the Badlands is though.
    GR8SKP, Ccieurzo and STLR like this.
  11. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I've found those mannequin sizing comparison on motorcyclegear.com to be pretty useful, and accurate, at least with my last purchase which was a cayenne pro jacket. Their estimations were spot on.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  12. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
  13. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got the Baja S4 Jacket and Pants. So far I have taken one ride for a couple hours, 81-86F, about 50/50 dirt and paved, up to 80 mph freeway. My ride was on a Triumph Tiger 800 XCx with Madstad windshield (i.e. not as much air flow as a naked or dirt bike, but similar to many larger size ADV bikes).

COLOR: I was tending toward the black, saw the gray at a dealer and it's darker than I expected, more steel/gunmetal than silver, looks decent, so I went with gray. Glad I did. This is a heavy set, and I bet the black will get very hot.

SIZING: I'm 6'4", 35" inseam, 34-35" sleeve, 216 lbs, 38 usual pants waist size.
    XL jacket is a very good fit, sleeves are just long enough for me. This is different than other Klim jackets I have tried on, and never purchased because in order to get sleeve length I needed a 2xl that felt like wearing a dress. The elbow pads are sufficiently adjustable to be placed well for me. I can fit a light insulated jacket under the Baja jacket.
    38 long pants are perfect length. Waist is a little too big, but fits pretty well with the waist adjusters cinched in. I can fit wool long underwear and a pair of light synthetic pants on under the Baja pants. Which is good for versatility to add warmth in changing conditions (although obviously not a quick change). I could probably fit into a 36 waist, but I'm happy with this size (except belt issue, see more below). Knee armor is at the correct position for me.

GOOD STUFF:
    Feels like very solid protection. Heavy duty construction, good quality control, great materials, all as expected from Klim. Pads are appropriately placed. Even the knee armor seems like it will actually do its job.
    Jacket does a good job of flowing air. Not as much as my prior FirstGear full mesh jacket, but the protection here is much better, so that seems like a good compromise.
    No extra liners. This is a plus for me, no extra cost for a liner I won't use, no extra zippers, I always just use my own separate liner and separate rain shell that I can also wear without the riding jacket/pants.

MEH STUFF:
    Pants do a fair job of flowing air, but mostly just when standing (at least on my Tiger).
    Pockets are decent on the jacket, but I feel there could be more, or at least put zippers on the hand warmer pockets so they are useful (yes, "hand warmer" pockets on a mesh jacket, hmm).
    The two cargo pockets on the pants are large and easy to access. However, they are located on an impact zone, and I didn't like how it felt with much weight in the pockets. I'll probably mostly use them for when I get off the bike and need someplace to put my wallet etc. I'm actually considering getting another set of pads to put in them for more hip protection.
    Hydration system in the jacket works OK with a 1.5l bladder, dropped to lowest position. The higher position intended for a small bladder caused choking. A bigger and heavier bladder would very likely cause choking. My pretty standard length drinking tube was barely long enough. Drinking tube comes out inside the jacket, meaning you either have to unzip to pull it out, or have it sticking out of your collar (I note the top quality zipper is easy to use one-handed, so that method does work). Use of the system makes upper interior pocket useless for anything else. So it works, but I probably wont use it.

NOT SO GREAT STUFF:
    Assuming you won't be using the hydration pocket (I doubt many will), it's just extra material that increases the weight, heat, and cost of the jacket.
    Jacket doesn't have any decent place to keep an emergency satellite beacon, no side adjusters, no good pocket for it, nothing. Really, Klim? If you don't need a beacon, you're not riding where this gear is supposed to take you. I guess I can put the beacon on my bike, but that's not too helpful if my bike or myself go tumbling off a cliff. I'll probably sew a strip of webbing on the upper chest to attach my SPOT.
    The pants are heavy, and all that material makes them pretty hot. If you've got a buddy that slows you down by standing around to chat at pee stops, tell him to get these pants, I think wearing them will encourage short breaks. I'm concerned about them being too hot.
    The pants need belt loops. They are heavy, and particularly with synthetic underwear underneath and a synthetic shirt tucked into them (and tucking is mandatory if you're going to zip the pants to the jacket), they tend to slide down. The side cinches work OK-ish, but insufficient IMHO. Not to mention that a belt is good for a leatherman, etc. I'll probably sew on belt loops.
    Pants lowers are loose around the boots, with minimal adjustment. They would be better with ability to tighten down and maybe keep out some water during crossings.
    The interior liners of the suit look awesome! And then I noticed the part of the linings you can see easily is the same fabric as the parts you can't see, except what you can see has a really good looking pattern printed into it, and what you can't see is plain. Why not just use the same printed version of the material throughout? Only reason I can think of is because it costs more. Which means they put more expensive material where the wearer (but nobody else) can see it just to make the wearer think it looks cool. That's a stupid reason to increase the cost of the suit.

OVERALL: This is the best protection I've had in a riding suit, and the fit is good. Excellent materials and build quality. Pants seem like they may be too hot for true desert use, and some details could use improvement. Jacket 4.5/5, Pants 4/5.
    STLR and ZoomerP like this.
  14. GR8SKP

GR8SKP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A 45 minute trip to downtown Toronto today had me convinced, I need mesh. So I’ve ordered the grey Baja set. It’s only money...

I’m gonna hold out on the Enduro outer layer for now, mostly due to the expense of it. I have a packable Revit rain suit from my sport bike/leather days that I’ll try to make due in the meantime. I wouldn’t be off-roading in the rain intentionally so I don’t really need the stretch fabric of the Enduro.

Has anyone found a more affordable and suitable solution for wet weather paired with the Baja gear?
  15. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    frogg toggs could be worn under or over - I'd try under, to prevent flapping: https://www.froggtoggs.com/mens/suits

No doubt the Enduro suit is swell, but I already have backpacking rain gear, and I'd rather not buy another expensive set. The Baja construction should dry quickly, especially while riding, so wearing a rain suit under it may work well.
  16. GR8SKP

GR8SKP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I’ve got the revit rain suit which will fit over the Baja stuff.
  17. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven’t found ANY pant that really flows air on my ADV bikes, and that’s because almost no air gets to my legs when seated :D. Probably the most airflow prominent area is the knees, and I only know of 2 brands that do knee area specific vents (MVD on their Supermoto focused ITB leather/textile, and Clover on a bunch of their pants).
    Siorc likes this.
  18. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the black mesh pants. Ride in desert heat all the time. Never wished for a lighter color.
  19. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought the enduro pants. Haven’t tried them yet as I haven’t hit rain. Love the fit and flex. Seems more durable then Mosco rain overpaint.
  20. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got to try out the Enduro jacket this weekend. The pictures don’t show it well, but it rained/hailed hard enough to stop traffic and we sheltered in some guy’s driveway. No leakage, although I regret not having the Enduro pants as my boots filled up with enough water that I could pour them out once the rain passed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    GR8SKP and ZoomerP like this.