Klim Customer Service FAIL

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by jlfaria, Sep 6, 2017.

1. jlfaria

jlfaria n00b

Oddometer:
    What does it take to get what should have been a simple customer service request handled?
    All I needed was a wheel for a Kodiak bag, yet I've been stuck in a circle of customer service vs. warranty hell for weeks now.
    I work in the industry, travel worldwide, and have actually been a big advocate of Klim gear, since I got my first Badlands suit years ago. Recently, I purchased a Kodiak bag when my old BMW bag started to look like it might not survive another adventure. On the second trip, I heard the wheel clunking and noted a small chunk was missing, likely from airline abuse.
    I called customer service, and asked if I could even just buy a wheel, but was forced into warranty hell. A few weeks now and many emails, mostly asking "form" questions that apply to garments - not bags, and warranty says they are referring me back to cust. serv.
    The wheels I was able to get in 48hrs from Eagle Creek , for $7, arrived FedEx today. I will no longer be an advocate for Klim products, based on ridiculously poor customer service.
    A final email today told me to file a claim with the airline for a new bag. All I ever wanted to do was buy a wheel. Does it matter who pays for it? Is their mentality (which is already in question) to toss a $250 bag over a $4 wheel?
    Doug Just Doug and RideRdie like this.
  2. Hedonist222

Hedonist222 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why didn't they just send you the $4 wheel for gratis?
  3. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    I think that's exactly his frustration.

Sounds like a really annoying situation.
    I own nothing made by Klim. Except a shop rag that was a tshirt. Fell apart the first time I washed it! Expensive shoprag that one is.....
    Hittman and CharlieInStLouis like this.
  4. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    I recently contacted them about the zipper pull separating from the zipper.

The nice lady steered me to their warranty webpage. I was required to submit photos of the front and the back of the jacket, the label and some number sewn into the jacket as well as the zipper pull itself. I had to also describe the problem.

Several days later I got a bag full of zipper pulls.

On the one hand, I understand they have a procedure. But, this was a known issue. The woman I spoke to could have just taken my info and mailed them out without me having to go through the entire procedure.

The good news is the replacement zipper pull works fine.

I would not discourage anyone from buying Klim gear.
    TexasAggie2008 likes this.
  5. SFC_Ren

SFC_Ren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Because they don't have $4 dollar wheels. Everything is made in China and shipped here as a complete assembly they do not have and I'm 99% sure cannot get spare parts. The factory in China orders just enough to fulfill the order that Klim requests and nothing more. That's why more often than not most warranty claims end up in 100% replacement.
  6. Hedonist222

Oddometer:
    replaced

Yep

Sometimes it's cheaper to replace than to maintain the cost of spares.

Therefore, they should've replaced his luggage.
    Hittman and SFC_Ren like this.
  7. ErikMotoMan

ErikMotoMan Airbag crash survivor!

Oddometer:
    In Motorcycle Heaven since 1990 - So Cal!
    Good customer service is essential. But when policies are in place that prevent employers from making helpful decisions then this happens!
    neanderthal and nk14zp like this.
  8. allowishish

allowishish Boof Master

Oddometer:
    I could see the frustration if it was a product from a high end company...
    or a company that had enough pride in their products that they labeled everything they sell with their name all over it in giant letters...

but come on KLIM?

oh shit! wait, it was KLIM?

well then damn for what you pay to advertise for them, yeah id expect more also.
  9. allowishish

allowishish Boof Master

Oddometer:
    oh and before...or literal as I devolve this into a warranty thread...

there are companies that I am a loyal customer with due to their customer service and warranty depts.
    NRS, MSR, Patagonia and Benchmade (they actually made me laugh but still kept me happy) just to name a few who went well above and beyond.
    Stasher1 likes this.
  10. jlfaria

jlfaria n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes, Absolutely! I fully believe this was a case of the people on the front lines not being empowered to make common sense decisions bound by policy. And then of course a management team that doesn't monitor what goes on on the front lines.

A good comparison to the contrary is TouraTech USA. Tom, Paul, Kimo, the whole team there would NEVER let something like this happen. Total class act when it comes to service from them!
  11. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honestly for me customer service is definitely the first thing I look for. I can't tell you how many times companies step up above and beyond and earn my business for life. I'm not even talking free stuff, just treat me like a human being. On the flip side there is many thay fail and I won't be purchasing any more of their products.
    RideRdie, Stasher1 and 9Realms like this.
  12. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son?

Oddometer:
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but re: Touratech...

Bull. Shit.

Worst CS ever. I wouldn't buy a bucket of water from that place if I were on fire.
    Ride-a-lot likes this.
  13. Hedonist222

Oddometer:
    This is great.
    I'm going to use this one day. Thanks.
  14. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    It must be who gets your case there.
    I have a badlands jacket and pants I bought new in 2015 but the jacket sleeves always felt tight at the elbow joints but fit perfect the rest of the body I just thought it would take some time to loosen up but it sucked to wear even to break it in. So I didn't get to wear it much before I had to go through some prostate cancer crap, now fast forward to beginning of this year I jump through the Klim hoops of forms and talk to several people even one that said take the arm pads out that should make more room not satisfied with that answer I called back a couple days later got another person and said what's the point of taking the pads out? then it's just like any other jacket and defeating it's purpose so they told me to send it in for an evaluation turns out they made the sleeves too small they sent me a new jacket from there latest line. So I think persistence and who you talk to makes the difference or maybe it's there way of weeding out the people they think are trying to take advantage of the replacement policy.
    But they still should cater a bit better get there people all on the same page for the money we spend on this gear or attempt to make customers feel better knowing they are there should a problem arise in the case with the OP who even offered to buy a wheel.
    Hittman likes this.
  15. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    My sleeves are too tight, also. They have loosened up a bit, after about 10 K miles.
  16. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    Even with the cinch straps all the way loose it was skin tight and with your arms a bit bent in a normal riding position it would ache a bit in the front of the elbow joint from the normal wrinkles there and funny thing is when I bought it the dealer said oh that's normal they need to break in. The new one has about 1/2-3/4 inch gap between jacket and your skin so you can layer and when no layers you use the straps to tighten things up. It was almost like they put size small sleeves on a large jacket the length was better too.
    If you had forarm pump forget about it you had to peel them off.
  17. Macho Man2

Macho Man2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought a 2015 Latitude jacket that still had the tags on it in June of this year and wore it on a 3 week trip out west in July. On the second week out I noticed a button on the bottom right side of the jacket had been ripped out and was missing. Once I got home I contacted Klim and after taking pictures of the missing button and sending them to Klim I was told to send it to Klim and they would repair the jacket with no charge even though it was not the current jacket. I had to pay for the shipping ($17.00) and they covered the shipping back to me. I'll have to say thumbs up for Klim Customer service , just my .02
  18. RideRdie

RideRdie Adventurer

Oddometer:

Two years later and the customer service at Klim still SUCKS! I recently attempted to purchase approximately $1,300 USD in products from Klim. I was contacted by a service representative by the name of Ricky Mitchell, where he stated he refused to process my order until I called him via telephone to confirm the order. I communicated with him via my account registered email. I also emailed him a copy of my bank statement proving the purchase. As I am currently in South America, I am unable to call their non toll free number without incurring heavy costs. I also emailed Klim corporate office for assistance, but of course they refused to respond.

The United States in general just sucks a$$ when it comes to customer service these days. Businesses MUST be held accountable for their TERRIBLE services. The culture has changed from service industry to entitled industries...and it blows..

Klim customer service is very similar to that of my huge pot of gold in my house.....it just doe NOT exist.
  19. RideRdie

RideRdie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have not yet purchased anything from Touratech USA, but I can say Touratech Peru is legit. Excellent customer service.....with great selection of products.
  20. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son?

Oddometer:
    I know this is ancient, but I had to reply when I saw this.

Barf.

A couple of years ago, I bought a Touratech windshield bracket/mount for my Tenere. Due to my own mistake, I lost one of the adjuster thumbwheels. It's a black plastic bit you can tighten by hand, has a metal threaded insert in it. You can get generic examples at Lowes for maybe $1 each. They had them to sell to me, for $12 apiece. Oh, and shipping for this one part would be $16. I asked 'can't you just put it in an envelope and mail it? $16 seems excessive.' No, they couldn't...nothing they could do. So, because I'm an idiot, I order it.

19 days later (?!) I get a box via UPS. It's maybe half the size of a shoe box, and it's heavy...far far too heavy to just be this one little nut thing. I open it, and there is my thumb adjuster. What, pray tell was making the box so heavy? They included the 12,000 page TouraTech print catalog in the box, you know, just to do me a favor.

F#%k TouraTech.
    BobcatSig likes this.