Klim F4 Helmet - 2 Australian thumbs up

Discussion in 'Australia' started by mookymoo, Jan 13, 2009.

1. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    I wanted to post this review here rather than the equipment forum because I think this helmet is extremely well-suited to the Australian climate - and of particular interest to Australian Riders.

[​IMG]

Ive been wanting to try this helmet for a while - I first found out about it on this thread here - and it looked quite interesting.
    I finally bit the bullet while home for an extended break over christmas/new year.

I was a little worried (probably unnecessarily so) that it might get caught up by Australian Customs as its not yet Australian Standards Approved - but Klim were happy to help - packaging it in a nondescript box and shipping it super-quick. (many thanks to Nate Blaylock for swinging it)

Ive been using it the past 3 weeks in some pretty hot conditions and have to say Im impressed.:deal

The ventilation is way better than any helmet I have used.
    You first notice something is quite different when after a period of tough riding in 30+ degrees (e.g. some steep alpine fire roads full of drains - enough to have you panting for air after 30 mins) and you take your helmet off - you notice your hair isnt soaking wet with sweat.

Interestingly, if you stop for a bit and keep your helmet on to deliberately get some head-sweat happening and then ride off, you can really feel the cooling air rushing in. Taking closer notice, theres a lot of airflow through the side chin vents that direct air over your ears. I like it (First thing I like to do when hot is wet and cool my ears.)

Whats also impressive is what you get for your money.
    Its cheaper than an Arai or Shoei - and IMO the comfort and quality is easily on par or better.
    Whats more, you get:
    * a spare visor + spare fasteners.
    * 2 different liners (the ventilated summer one & the gore windstopper winter one).
    * 2 different size cheek pieces (15mm and 20mm).
    * A breath deflector which also blocks all the front vents - making it a compelling winter helmet too (its meant to be used as a snowmobile helmet, so thats not that surprising).
    * A carry bag
    [​IMG]

The liners and cheek pieces all easily snap in and out for swapping over linings or easy cleaning.
    The visor fasteners require no tools & theyre glove-friendly (in fact, I recommend you keep your gloves on - that way you dont have to worry about the grippy metal edges biting into your fingers)

All in all, its 2 thumbs up from me.
    I reckon lobby Klim to pull their finger out and get it certified here.
    Until then, you can order it from Klim direct & get them to post it.

As for sizing, the comments I read here got me ordering an XL (my Arai and Shoei were both L). In retrospect, I think I should have got an L Klim helmet - the XL feels a tiny bit big - but the fit is certainly good enough.

Some more detailed pics:

The two liners (summer + winter). You can see the 4 yellow lip points
    [​IMG][​IMG]

With the liners removed you can really see the extent of the venting:
    ear vents (near strap) and Sydney opera house vents (from the inside)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The breath guard (and front vent blocker)
    [​IMG]

More pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. LC8TY

LC8TY must......find........fuel

Oddometer:
    :clap Good review mate, now I only have to decide on what colour.
  3. Mr Bungle

Mr Bungle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks good - how much was it??
  4. Marcbar

Marcbar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I presume you picked it up in the USA?
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does it meet any sort of road spec safety standard (DOT, Snell, etc)?
  6. InertiaDRZ400

InertiaDRZ400 AusSafari Addict

Oddometer:
    From what I can gather it has no DOT approval but has Snell.
  7. HoldoninAus

HoldoninAus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice lid mate, if I hadn't just bought my shoei I would definitely be looking at this one.
  8. Brendan J

Brendan J Pfft

Oddometer:
    Yes it has American DOT approval its the sticker on the bottom, right at the back. Mookymoo out of interest I know its branded as a Klim helmet but does it say anywhere inside the helmet who the actual manufacturer is ??
  9. OutBack

OutBack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like that helmet. It looks to be right at home here in Oz.
    All the venting doesn`t bother me a bit because I know the Gore tex will block out the wind and make it water proof in Winter/Autumn and unlike a plastic bag it will breathe

Its the sizing and getting it right that stops me.Hate to spend the $`s on something that may not fit properly.
  10. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think this is the most appropriate/best suited helmet for Australia ever. What an awesome bit of gear. I have just bought an ARIA XD-3 so i will keep the Klim in mind when its up for replacement. Any idea on pricing?
    Just checked ebay and to get one with freight to Oz its approx $420USD/$625AUD which is pretty good compared to an XD-3!!

Some sales specs,

Creating a level of comfort never felt before, the Klim F4 Helmet, with an unprecedented 41 air-craving intakes,
    creates a new standard in helmet ventilation technology.
    It all starts with a design that more effectively channels air into the helmet where the EPS liner maximizes the airflow over the entire head
    to dramatically cool the rider’s head. Safety standards have been exceeded not only through the use of aerospace materials,
    but in the design of the helmet. The F4 exceeds Snell M2000, M2005 and U.S. DOT standards.
    • RAM AIR INDUCTION TECHNOLOGY With 41 Air-Craving Intakes the F4 Sets a New Standard In Ventilation Technology
    • Non-Intrusive Eye Port Increases Field of Vision
    • Ram Air Induction Scoops Not Only Mine Air as It Flows Over the Helmet, But Helps to Increase the Structural Integrity of the Helmet
    • Pressure Chamber Network Liner Helps to Maximize Airflow Over the Head
    • High Volume Air Channels Allows for More Air Capacity Inside the Helmet
    • Zonal Fiber Select Construction with Aerospace Fiberglass, Carbon Fiber and Kevlar™ Ensure a Safer Helmet
    • Exceeds Snell M2000, M2005 and U.S. DOT Standards
    • Included Cold Weather Liner with Gore WINDSTOPPER® Technology, Breath Deflector, Deluxe Nylon Carrying Bag, Spare Visor and Visor Bolt
    • Patents Pending
    Its designed for Snowmobile riding apparently??
  11. OutBack

OutBack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK here`s another "GOTCHA"........with all that venting, how noisy will it be ?
    It would shit me to tears if all I heard was whistling through the vent holes

This is what`s wrong with the internet......no try before you buy.
  12. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Prices are on their site
    http://www.klimusa.com/b2c/KlimUSA/...emDetailNF.aspx?siteId=1&itemNum=3006-140-100

They delivered it for me.
    If you want to send it cheaply, get them to send it US Postal Service. Its all tracked, etc.

All the US standards. DOT + SNELL. I hear european standards are next. By all means email them and encourage them to do the Australian standards approval process.

I'll check - but AFAIK, its made by Klim. (Was developed by them)
    Update: I cant actually see where its made. I will see if I can find out for you.
  13. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I hear you on that. I had the same concern.
    I reckon use ARAI or Shoei as a guide.
    That said, if you get the size wrong, I reckon it wont be too hard to sell it on. That was my rationale at least.

And yeah, when you put the Gore Windstopper liner + breath guard, all the vents are effectively blocked.
  14. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    It doesnt whistle. But you do get some wind over your ears (from those vents that are meant to do exactly that).
    No enduro helmet is going to be that quiet on the rode. :deal
    Ive ridden it at 120 kmh (on an enduro bike) didnt notice it being super-noisy. Might be more noticeable on a quieter bike - or at higher speed - will let you know.
  15. twotyred

twotyred Practising Recedivist

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this excellent review.

I've been looking at this helmet for while - I have just ordered a pair of Dakar pants and socks from the Aussie distributor - I, am a bit concerned about best sizing and will go on Shoei sizing.

There are some nice pictures of Jonah Street wearing one on this years Dakar in the main Racing section:-
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417706&page=126
  16. ozadvntr

ozadvntr Planning that trip, again

Oddometer:
    I just read the link comment on size and am as confused as before. I note you believe they are similar while Neduro believes go one up. Would be great to try one on. Where is it that little bit too big? Cheek pads or in the crown?

By the way, great review, and thanks, a lot of food for thought.
  17. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    I think MY helmet is a tiny bit big all round - cheeks are good though.
    Most helmets tend to loosen up a bit with age (as the padding compresses a bit) - and therefore I would have prefered it to be just on the tight side when new.

When I ordered the helmet I was advised to match Shoei/Arai sizes (ie order an L like my Shoei) but I chose to go one size bigger.

Hope that helps. :thumb
  18. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Let us know how you get on - I reckon the shoei/arai sizing is the way to go.
    Ned recommends a size larger - but the comment I have been given is that he has a big noggin ("a lot going on in there" were the exact words :lol3 )

The dakar pants are good. Ive had mine for a while. The Mojave pants are also good - rugged like the dakar pants but permanently vented. They are very solidly constructed - but the way they fit (and things like the stretch crotch) means you barely know you have them on - they dont restrict movement at all.

[​IMG]
  19. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    I have had a couple of days to give it a bit of a test in cold winter weather now (Im back in the UK :cry) - and its pretty good! Its not going to be the same as a helmet with a visor, but the goggles seem to seal well & only cold bits are chin & neck (air coming from under the helmet). None of the venting leaked any cold weather. The breath guard does a good job of keeping your goggles free of fog too.

Took it for a bit of a high-speed run (ahem :augie ) and its a bit noisy where the vents come over the ears. Surprisingly, the peak doesnt catch the wind as much as I expected.

Regarding the question as to who made it - its completely designed & manufactured by Klim - its not a branded helmet. I emailed Nate - here is his response:

We designed it here in Rigby Idaho, all design work was done
    internally, we even built or own wind tunnel to provide some more
    detailed test data. It is manufactured for us in a private facility,
    not by another helmet manufacture.

I have a couple of wind-tunnel pics he attached if anyone is interested.
  20. clangers

clangers Love a drink

Oddometer:
    The Opera House helmet. he he