KLiM KRIOS Helmet

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Smackit, Aug 4, 2016.

1. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    View attachment 1645425
    Some real data from Klim's website. Impressive comparison between Koroyd material and conventional helmet EPS during impact:

https://www.klim.com/Krios-Pro-Helmet-ECE-DOT-3610-000

Safety data directly from Koroyd. Risk of traumatic brain injury ( HIC ) reduced from 77% to 5% with Koroyd. Significant improvement over conventional EPS :

https://koroyd.com/koroyd-helmet-safety-initiative/

View attachment 1645425

I can only comment from unboxing the Krios Pro and comparing to my existing Arai XD-4. I have to test the helmet in real world. I am still nursing non-displaced fractured lower T9 rib and shredded ankle tendons from second degree sprain from recent Baja trip. Sand will do that to you.

My observations from owning Arai XD-4. From design perspective:

- The Krios Pro is super light by comparison.
    - The Krios Pro out of the box ready Pinlock visor looks much more clear and less distorted.
    - Visible design ventilation looks significant on Krios Pro.
    - The design in removing visor and beak on Krios looks far easier than Arai XD-4.
    - Cheek pad lining and inside liner on Krios feels softer. Almost like velour. Cheek pad design is better in Krios. Velcros in place.
    - Buckle chin lock on Krios is much easier than D ring.
    - Chin ventilation looks more on Krios.
    - I can slip Krios on much easier with small in ear earbuds; although my Arai XD4 size Medium has a much narrower entry vs. Krios Pro in Large

Ultimately I have to post a real world observation. I'll try to include noise level, how it handles in rain, fogging, and other environmental.
  2. Pharz

Pharz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Notable difference is that Arai uses different shell size for each size helmet. Klim used 2 shell sizes with the previous Krios.
    So that’s a pro for Arai. Koroid does really look very promising though and I’m eagerly waiting for all the upcoming comparisons.
  3. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    I thought about ordering one online, but I'm a bit leery about buying without trying one on. I usually wear a medium in most helmets. My last XD was an XD3, and it was TIGHT until it really broke in. Seemed fine on local trips, but wearing it twelve hours straight on a longer trip was agony on my ears. :becca I'd hate to get a large, and have it be too loose after it breaks in though.

Any pictures of this buckle ? I've never had a problem with D rings, and after 45+ years with them, I can almost do them in my sleep.
    GF-kam likes this.
  4. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:

I hear you. Sound like you're better off in a large helmet. Find a dealer around you and try the sizes. Checkout Eurosport BMW / KTM in Asheville, NC. I think they carry KLIM gear. Check with Denise in apparel or Travis in parts. I live in Virginia, but they are my go to dealer.

I attached couple photos of buckle. Works like a Fidlock buckle. Once the two magnets get close, they snap together. When you pull on the red strap, it releases the buckle.

zS31O8SBTKChUZDVA%C9Kw.jpg

8JSWnfhCRAKgBEljP34MQA.jpg

Video of how a Fidlock helmet chinstrap works. The Klim looks pretty much identical:
  5. Florida Lime

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, I'm only in WNC several weeks out of the year. No dealer around me even carries Klim gear.

Thanks for the video. I was unfamiliar with how a Fidlock strap works, and pictures alone didn't help. :lol3
  6. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:

According to recent review in ADVMoto Magazine, they actually use the Fidlock magnetic buckle on Klim Krios Pro helmet. I was pretty sure it looked the same.

https://adventuremotorcycle.com/news/klim-krios-pro-helmet
  7. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:

Florida Lime,

You can checkout Klim Event calendar for 2019 and see if they might be somewhere near you during summer rally / event:

https://www.advpulse.com/adv-calendar/tag/klim/

Other option is to fly out to KLIM headquarter in Rigby, Idaho. I think they do a discount for gear purchased at Rigby location.
  8. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, don't forget those membership vendor discounts can add up if you buying new gear this year. My favorite one is Backcountry Discovery Routes annual supporter program. Although, I don't see Klim participating with tangible discount. Check it out:

https://ridebdr.com/BDR-Supporter-Program
  9. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you tried goggles yet?

Curious to hear your ventilation impressions as the warm season sets in here; I have a XD4 largely because it's a great balance between tons of vents and comfort/noise.
  10. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    This morning I flipped the Klim Krios Pro chinstrap to see if I could find a stamp on it. Sure enough clear as day, there is a white FidLock stamp on backside of buckle. So confirmed.
  11. buddynho

buddynho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can i buy Klim krios pro somewhere in US with Europe shipment avaliable?
    GF-kam likes this.
  12. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Considering its an ECE certed helmet, you should be able to buy in .EU directly? Or are you trying to avoid VAT or something?
  13. memopad

memopad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wonder when the krios pro will come out with more color options? Probably a while since they can't even get the 3 colors they have now in stock

I like the options they have for the previous keios, but aside from the black the pro colors are super boring.
  14. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that white/silver last page is pretty neat looking, and probably really helps with solar gain in the hot months.
  15. Florida Lime

Oddometer:
    Several years back before neduro did so well in the Dakar, he had various sponsor level packages that I took advantage of. Two pairs of Sidi boots, a Klim Latitude jacket, and some more Klim pants I'd been looking at, were all purchased at a substantial discount. :D
    GF-kam likes this.
  16. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might want to check with Bob's BMW in U.S.A. Before the internet, they did a lot of international business. They are located in Jessup, Maryland.

https://www.bobsbmw.com
  17. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    one is made in China and one isn't you decide
  18. buddynho

buddynho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    krios is made in china? didnt see that comming ;d
  19. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why does that have anything to do with safety?
  20. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Smackit. +1 Smackit this is your original post. My contributions are from Krios Pro owner. Hope I am not butting in.

Zave, You're drawing a very direct correlation between your China statement without substantiating anything about the new Klim Krios Pro quality. Very broad and unsubstantiated statement.

My state of the art Apple iPhone with more powerful computing power than NASA's computer during Apollo mission is made in China:
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/moon-mars/a25655/nasa-computer-iphone-comparison/

Some of the Rotax engines designed in Austria by BMW are made in China.

Several KTM models and soon Husqvarna models are build in India.

If you look around, most of the major corporations ( Fortune 500 ) all have centers of development and manufacturing in places like China, India, etc.

Zave, I don't know you. But, I see you tend to post very short and highly contested statements. I don't want to use the T---- word to describe what's going on. I see you either owned a previous Klim and had a bunch of issues with DOT vs. ECE . Why don't you take that up with Klim product manager in Rigby, Idaho.
    JMforPres likes this.