KLiM KRIOS Helmet

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Smackit, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the new chin vent on the Krios Pro wont do much when comparing to the XD4.
    The XD4 ventilation system : chin vent, 2 side chin vents(they work, unlike the Krios), 2 eyebrow vents, 2 top intake vents, 4 exhaust vents
    The Krios Pro : chin vent, top vent, 2 exhaust vents

The Krios Pro has improved the ventilation but still league behind the Arai.
  2. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that’s my biggest ask of helmets. The visor/temple vent channels on arais are astonishingly effective, no idea why other companies don’t copy them.
  3. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you own both these helmets and tried them side by side in test ride comparison? That being Arai XD4 and Klim Krios Pro.
  4. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have both XD4 and Klim Krios.
    The Arai has one of the most advanced ventilation system in the market, every single vent holes on the helmet works.
    Klim Krios has many vent holes but only the chin and top vents works. The rest of the vent holes are meant for atheistic.
    The Krios Pro is basically Krios with better chin vent + Kroyod.
  5. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping for an updated XD4 but cant wait much longer so might have to pull the trigger.
  6. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I own both the Aria XD-4 and the new Klim Krios Pro. There is a fundamental design difference for ventilation with the Krios Pro. Most EPS ( inside helmet ) on helmet like Aria XD-4 are one solid surface. Inside Klim Krios Pro helmet looks more like a cycling race helmet with 5-6 deep channels from front to back. Like dedicated duct work connecting each vent. Moreover, these channels are about 1.5" inches deep. I am expecting the volume of air moving through would be substantial. Unfortunately I don't have a lab to measure airflow. I posted a pic of the Klim Pro. The black stripes are normal depth of EPS helmet. The Koroyd material is about 1.5" inches down these channels / ducts. The Koroyd is sandwiched between the very hard outer carbon fiber and inside EPS. So, the Klim EPS is more design of a cycling helmet.

mRtxDkp%TbKjxhWNF2D5kw.jpg
  7. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Arai does the same thing via padding design vice compromising the EPS liner; the ventilation holes are cut to create airflow channels in the spacing created by padding. Other higher end helmets with multi-part padding aim to do the same thing.

Now that we're getting days up in to the 80s with humidity, you have the opportunity to do soem back to back rides in your two - be interested in seeing feedback.

Edit: did you note the weight difference between your two helmets? Based on the weights somebody reported earlier in this thread, I'm only seeing a ~4oz difference between the carbon shell Krios Pro and the composite XD4.
  8. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don’t think the Koroyd will help much due to the orientation of the ducts.
    They are aligned vertically which is perpendicular to the exhaust vents. That will restrict airflow efficiency.
  9. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    Size M Krios Pro is 2 lbs 15 oz. The lightest helmet we have at the shop. I personally think Koroyd technology is going to be a game changer, can't wait until it appears in other street helmets. We actually have a little sample of Koroyd material next to EPS foam after impact, it's fascinating.
    GF-kam likes this.
  10. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:

I think you're missing the point. The channels in the EPS themselves are going to provide more airflow between the vents, your head, and helmet. Airflow has nothing to do with the Koroyd layer.
  11. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's significantly lighter then one another inmate posted a few pages back - who reported 3lbs 5.6oz with the peak. Maybe that was using the larger shell size (there's just 2, right?), but a 6oz gain between shell sizes is pretty huge. Or is your reported weight without the peak?

It seems kind of odd that the Koroyd in the F5 is in a band from the eyebrow back; there's none in the majority of the highest % probability impact areas (jaw/sides). Do we know if this is also true for the Krios, or does it have expanded Koroyd usage? The F5 also has MIPS, while the Krios Pro does not - which is really too bad; between Koroyd and MIPS you're addressing both types of impact with specific enhanced mitigation strategies.
  12. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KLIM claims that the Koroyd improved ventilation

Attached Files:

13. Motodisiac

Oddometer:
    Just double checked the weight. This is with the beak. Also weighed size L with it's bigger shell and it's definitely a couple of ounces more.

I think the low weight of the Krios is just the tip of the iceberg. The most important part is inside. It's green and looks like a bunch of straws.

IMG_20190425_105924.jpg

Attached Files:

NorthIdaho800gsa likes this.
  14. Motodisiac

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190425_113259.jpg This is what it looks like. 48% reduction of energy compared to traditional EPS. Mind boggling.
    NorthIdaho800gsa likes this.
  15. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, but is it in the same limited band as the cutaway of the F5 shows, or did they expand the coverage for the Krios? In the F5 there's no koroyd material on the sides or front, where >70% of impacts occur (unless the graphics/cutout are incorrect?).

Nice shop space btw. I'll have to stop by one of the local dealers and see if I can try one of these on.

Weight wise, there's a ~4oz difference between my XD4 and the Krios; or about the same thing as removing the visor. The weight part certainly isn't a significant enough factor - so it'll have to be safety or ventilation.
  16. xzatx

xzatx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    all i read in this thread, is the concern about weight and ventilation.
    well how about the lens mechanism.. the lens mechanism on this helmet is junk and extremely cheap... mine is 8 months use, 1 year old, and my lens no longer seals and no longer aligns with the helmet. the bracket holding it is cracked. also the ratchet system is very loose now as well.
    i never had a ventilation issue with Krios since the lens is always half open... lol
    luckily klim accepted to take a look at it and hopefully i will get a replacement helmet...

I just ordered a Hornet X2 to replace it.

GF-kam likes this.
  17. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I cannot comment on previous post / video regarding availability of replacement parts. Hopefully, the KLIM product team is addressing this issue. I know most helmets I've owned eventually need replacement visors, face shield, tensioner detent spring / gizmo, and cheek pads.

My initial test ride with Klim Krios Pro was positive. Super light and very quite. Face shield is clear and great visibility. I was on my F800GS with the Lynx fairing screen up. So, I didn't get much direct wind. Hence sense of ventilation. Moreover, the temp was 88 degrees with high humidity. The Fidlock buckle is comfortable and easy to use. I normally wear small Sony earbuds plugged into my Sena 20S. Sounds quality was nice as a result of good ear cutout for speaker and ear. I didn't notice any wind issues turning my head at highway speeds.

So far good. But, I just hope the wear and tear parts are in stock when time comes (....I hope you're listening KLIM ).
  18. xzatx

xzatx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Klim warranty is shit. they emailed me saying the issues i have are not covered under warranty. so basically they gave me the middle finger and blamed my 3 foot drop on the issues with the lens.

good luck all krios owners ... i'm now using a shoei hornet x2. and the differences are huge.
  19. Maverick2076

Maverick2076 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I finally got to put some miles on my new Krios Pro this weekend, and I think it is the best helmet I’ve ever worn. It’s got good airflow, and the aerodynamics are great. It’s light and does catch wind and pull on my head. The fidlock chin strap is genius. The transition shield is nice and has a great FOV, although I do wish it would get a little darker. Most importantly, it fits me really well. I loved my Nexx, but the bottom of the helmet ended right on my jawline, which made the chinstrap put a lot of pressure on my jaw, and it would get very sore after a couple hours. The Krios comes down around my jaw, which feels much more comfortable and more protective.

All in all, I’m very happy with it. It does have a pretty hefty price tag, but Klim offers a 30% off coupon code for military, and that made the cost a lot easier to swallow.
    Kingfish likes this.
  20. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a Krios Pro last week and so far its been the best helmet I've ever owned. I like everything about it. The buckle is the cats meow, very light and I like the transition shield much more than I thought I would. Onlyest negative thing so far is when you push the shield up, when you bring it back down it has very irregular transitional figures from the sun hitting it thru the visor vents/holes. But no biggy.
    Maverick2076 likes this.