KLiM KRIOS Helmet

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Smackit, Aug 4, 2016.

1. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also tried my Klim Krios Pro helmet last week after 7 weeks laid up from injuries from Baja trip. One thing I noticed compared to my Arai XD-4 is the lowest detent seems to be wider ( more open in lowest setting ). I also noticed more air comes through even at the lowest setting of the windshield. Both sitting and standing on pegs. I think it has to do with the very wide.

I've only recently owned the helmet. But the notable features and attributes are ( compared to Arai XD-4 and AGV AX8 Dual EVO ):

- Super lightweight
    - Super comfortable
    - Wide view. Makes it much easier looking left and right. Big safety feature for me getting out of city.
    - Fidlock chinstrap lock is easy to use. Also comfortable chinstrap in general.
  2. edtheslowrider

edtheslowrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This would be a pretty big deal to me, too, since shit does happen from time to time.

As far as the reported fiddly adjustments, I'd rather have fiddly than no adjustment at all.
  3. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    To be fair, Shoei states the same as well. I haven't actually had the chance to see how stringent their adherence to the following statement is, but the statement is essentially the same nonetheless.

Your SHOEI helmet is covered under warranty for five years from the purchase date, or seven years from the date of manufacture (whichever comes first). The warranty covers all manufacturing defects. Please note that damage caused by the consumer (i.e. dropping the helmet, etc.) is not covered under warranty.
  4. yycbarbarian

yycbarbarian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ive read through most of 27 pages and Im still trying to gauge this helmet.
    I bought it new last year and I find it way too loud for my use- mostly highway riding in the rockies- did I just buy a wrong helmet? Doing back to back comparison- I brought my old, too big for me scorpion full face -there is about 50% reduction in buffeting and noise- how can that be when every second review touts the lack of noise? With industrial earplugs in there is a loud roar that still creeps in- i cant hear my cardo even at full volume- when im wearing “no noise” earplugs it always feels like my earplugs are not even on. I love the look of the helmet and lack of weight but im really put off by noise and buffeting. Btw the helmet is size large and im trying to swap someone with a comparable modular unit.
  5. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes

It's not a good highway unit. I wear my Shoei Neotec most of the time. The Krios is good for hot weather or enduro riding. I have a friend with the Krios as his main helmet and he complains about the noise all the time.
    yycbarbarian likes this.
  6. yycbarbarian

yycbarbarian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Smackit - Neotec looks like a fantastic helmet. Where i live its mostly 100-120lm/h speeds to get to “the good stuff” - Im sure on 2ndary roads the Krios might work fine - I guess I never noticed it as much on KLR due to the fact that the 650 single was always pinned, but with the vstrom its quite a racket.
    Fingers crossed someone in Calgary area might want to swap...

Attached Files:

7. alex2448

alex2448 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. edtheslowrider

edtheslowrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Have you tried it without the visor? Is this the carbon shell?
    I would think a lightweight carbon shell would be more susceptible to transmitting noise from the turbulence on the slab.
  9. NCD

NCD Dirty Hairy Supporter

Oddometer:
    The difference in noise has to be bike/rider specific based on screen, height, etc. I find the Krios to be very quiet...much quieter than my Hornet X2. And the lack of peak drag is crazy.
  10. yycbarbarian

yycbarbarian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes- Ive tried it with and without the visor.
  11. yycbarbarian

yycbarbarian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes no peak drag is nice . The roar from the shell is maddening though.
  12. NCD

NCD Dirty Hairy Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's wild. Have you stood up and put the helmet into clean airflow? Even at highway speeds I find it so smooth and quiet - and that's coming from a Shoei that was known to be quiet. Stitting down I get some noise, but that's from the choppy air off the bike.

Everyone person and situation is different I guess.
    NorthIdaho800gsa likes this.
  13. yycbarbarian

yycbarbarian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup - i
    Yes I agree- even though vstroms are known to be problematic as far as airflow and turbulence, I opted to solve it by runnning a super short moose windscreen. The nail in the coffin was when i carried a spare helmet with me and switched mid ride- night and day. Brw here is my bike with the short screen.
    NCD likes this.
  14. yycbarbarian

yycbarbarian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Short screen vstrom

Attached Files:

15. desmo666

desmo666 Lost Presumed Fed

Oddometer:
    the world, especially the Middle East and Africa
    Hardly ever does this but it may be of use to someone, just came across this at louis, its an absolute steal.
    https://www.louis-moto.co.uk/artikel/ni ... a47a007afc
    I bought this helmet after reading lots of reviews and I am extremely happy with it a year later, I paid around £200 with spare visor etc and its now at the low sale price again.If your worried about buying from abroad, I was, don`t be as it was packed really well, came fast and would not hesitate to use them again.

cheers
  16. VSTR

VSTR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No shipping to US or Canada
  17. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    4,000 Mile review of my KLIM Krios Pro helmet.

You may have seen my earlier photos of the new Klim Krios Pro helmet. I think I was one of first in my region ( Virginia, USA ) to place an order for the Krios Pro through my local dealer. Unfortunately, I was recovering from some broken bones riding in Baja. Anyhow, I managed to log 4K miles and have some updates. I also want to document some of the issues and interaction with Klim Customer Support.

So how's helmet holding up after 4,000 miles.

Pinlock Push Pin sheared off:
    The first time I used and removed my Pinlock insert, one of the two Pinlock Push Pins ( tabs ) broke off. Clean smooth brake flush with the face shield. I popped the Pinlock Push Pin / tab out of my clear face shield so you can get a better view.

GtzFID8jTWy0GoLX6Xz5QA.jpg

A new Pinlock Push Pin should look like this:
    EWfwzBg9R3aKeA11tT3QPg.jpg

In the process I noticed the other Pinlock Push Pin looked damaged during manufacturing installation or defective from Pinlock. You can see the inside tab has a curled up and crack in it.
    HEdp4d4QRqytmQcb8SucEg.jpg

Hard to tell if the Pinlock tabs were defective or damaged during assembly into face shield.

Klim Customer Support not supporting their brand like we would expect. Very disappointed. I contacted Klim several times to tell them about issue with my Pinlock. Despite my several attempts, response is lagging. I sent photos several times and even opened a Warranty Claim. But, I haven't had anyone from Klim jump and contact me. Originally I was told Klim would ship out some replacement Pinlock Push Pins. I would push old one out, I insert new one in. Almost two weeks later, I still haven't seen anything from Klim.

You would think for a brand new $700 helmet, someone from the Product team or Quality Control would want to get in touch with me. Moreover, get the original face shield back to do some forensic analysis on it. Apparently when I opened a Warranty Claim, Klim expected me to ship my face shield to them. I told them, I couldn't since this is the only face shield I have. Not like I have spares. I can see this process being more applicable ( ship back ) for Klim jacket or pants. Isn't my helmet supposed to be under warranty ??

So, I contacted Pinlock HQ. In fact Pinlock from Netherlands was more responsive. At least they reached out to me with some replacement Push Pins. Two thumbs up to Pinlock. At least they seem to care about their brand and quality control. I am keeping them in loop regarding situation. Note the postage from Netherlands.
    fullsizeoutput_a8a.jpeg

Very disappointed with Klim's support.

Face Shield Detent:
    When I first tried the Klim Krios Pro helmet, the face shield detent was firm and crisp. After 4K miles the detent feels loose and not as crisp. I just hope they don't loosen up any further. I did some closer inspection of the detent mechanism. This is what I found.

Looks like the Klim helmet uses a very basic detent mechanism. The face shield has a series of sawtooth shaped notches. These notches roll through a plastic tab on the Klim helmet; at temples. Hard to describe so I attached a few photos:

This shows the sawtooth shaped notches in the Klim face shield. I inspected the tips of the notches for wear. For most part they seem comparable to the ones on my Klim Transitional face shield. No way to measure. I assume after a while they will wear like a sprocket. So, maybe the wear is at the black tab on temple.
    McgAp6xuTGWQjDDhq02hsQ.jpg

As with most helmets with removable face shield, there is a mechanism on each side of the temple. The one on the Klim Krios Pro looks like this. Very basic. No adjustment that I can tell. The notches on the face shield glide through the hook shaped black tab. I hope over time neither side get so worn that the face shield won't stay in a set position ( as noted by previous owner of Klim Krios in same thread ).
    ScpNVZyaQyuSDwVbb7Tfcw.jpg

Although I currently do not see replacement part on Klim's website for the black mechanisms, I was told by someone at the recent BMW MOA Rally in TN you can get them if you call direct. Not very optimistic after my Pinlock experience. I hope you're listening Klim.
    ngoO6rYCSDyhxmkO7aD64g.jpg

Unlike the Arai XD-4's little replaceable plastic spring gizmo for face shield tension, I am not sure what you would have to replace on Klim Krios Pro. The face shield or the entire temple tensioner mechanism. I'll keep you posted. Living in Virginia, I am constantly adjusting my visor up and down. Especially during summer. Hard to stay parked at traffic light with visor down in temps of 90+ degrees.
    t2LyeS4TTDi0RwV8UCjWlA.jpg

This shows the tensioner mechanism without face shield. I am assuming you can replace it by removing the two screws. However, I don't see any replacement part numbers on Klim's website.
    dLosRFRyRfmF79yqjEoNxg.jpg

Other than the Pinlock Push Pin braking off and noticeable different ( looser ) in face shield detent, helmet is holding up.
    baumer and Oeths like this.
  18. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    By the way, the Arai XD-4 replaceable plastic detent tensioner spring looks like this if you're curious. Maybe Klim can tell us A) How the helmet detent tensioner works and if ever needs to be replaced; B) if the detent tensioner mechanism is replaceable and after how many years / mileage; C) Where would one buy one.

I am just proactively being an advocate. Kind of like learning how to repair and change a tire before going on a long adventure. I'd like to know sooner than later. I've logged a little over 100K over last 5 years. So, I expect my helmet to last a few miles.

arai_xd3_xd4_ctz_visor_screw_set_750x750.jpg
  19. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another thing I noticed about the face shields and Pinlocks.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed the Transitions face shield that comes with the Klim Krios Pro also has Pinlock tabs. However, I noticed the Pinlock tabs aren't like the clear face shield Push Pins. The ones on the Transitions face shield have a little philips head screw. This type of Pinlock tab is called Three Component Pinlock. Upgrade to the basic all plastic one piece Pinlock Push Pin.

More information about it at: https://pinlock.com/products/pins/

You can see I haven't had chance to use the Transitions face shield yet.

ddQxMiPWQRC+ofWhZq3hJw.jpg

Closer shot.
    GtJcop+NTnWR6BW6dJ3yxQ.jpg

This type of Pinlock tab comes in three pieces vs. the basic all plastic Push Pin.
    img_three-component-pin.png
  20. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you look at the tensioner mechanism in your picture, you will notice it has 2 screws. You can fiddle with them to adjust the position of the faceshield teeth's engagement with the little black tab. It does 2 things. #1 It helps keep the opening and closing action "crisp" like your original experience. #2 It helps position the faceshield to fully close. The shield and peak attachment system of this helmet is pretty shoddy, makes the $700 asking price seem suspect, especially if you're used to a Shoe/Arai level of quality.
    GF-kam likes this.