KLiM KRIOS Helmet

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Smackit, Aug 4, 2016.

1. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Smackit,

I'll have to give those two screws a try. I hope that explains the detect feeling a bit loose.

Since I've owned a Arai XD-4, I tend to concur on observation of peak and face shield tensioner mechanism. I seem to fiddle around more with the Klim Krios Pro. I really didn't mind unscrewing the Arai's.

Thanks.
    dragos likes this.
  2. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    The photo of the Transitions face shield I posted on previous page is made by a company called Transitions. Found them online. Looks like they make a number of products including eyewear and motorcycle face shields. The website goes into technology and how it works.

https://www.transitions.com/en-us/products/adaptive-helmet-shields/

The Transitions face shield for Klim Krios was made so riders could have a 3 in 1 face shield. One visor for any time of day. A clear face shield for night time or overcast riding. A fully UVA and UVB ready transitional face shield so you don't have to fiddle with sunglasses or bright sun. Finally a Pinlock ready face shield. Apparently the molecules that are embedded in the face shield are activated by UV light. More about how it works on Transitions' website.
  3. Swashplate

Swashplate LUV TO HVR

Oddometer:
    FYI, as for the side spring plates and how they really kinda suck, I called KLIM. The rep said they are out of stock on the parts and wont be back in stock till OCTOBER.
    Should I be shocked? probably not. I did call a few months ago and they wanted me to send the whole entire helmet in so they could look at it. I said just send me the little plates like ARAI has. I was told they didn't even sell them. But they did send me some crappy PDF on how to adjust them, which of course I already did that. Sooooo, now I'm on a wait list for the little things. What where they thinking when putting a helmet out and no parts support.
  4. xzatx

xzatx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oeths, BoomerE30 and Swashplate like this.
  5. Swashplate

Swashplate LUV TO HVR

Oddometer:
    Exactly!!!!
  6. xzatx

xzatx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    U r not alone.
    Klim were ass holes with me too. They kept blaming it on different sorts of things. I sold my year old helmet, for $200. Paid like $600. I’m using hornet x2 now and it’s amazing. Super solid helmet
  7. BoomerE30

BoomerE30 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its a junk helmet because its an outdated, decade old design from Nishua Enduro Carbon that Klim slapped their logo on it.
    GF-kam likes this.
  8. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I am not mistaken, the helmet ( Klim Krios Pro ) has a 5 year warranty. I would open a warranty claim with Klim. I would work that process. You might have to ship your helmet in. If they cannot replace it or get the visor tensioner replaced, then keep moving up the corporate ladder. Klim is a subsidiary of Polaris which trades on the NYSE. Perhaps better option is finding a strong Klim local dealer and point them out to this thread.
  9. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    It actually came from Uvex before Nishua had anything to do with it. Yes, it's very dated, but the fact remains that it's still one of the lightest helmets ever made. For some people that's what counts. I wish Shoei or Arai would make a 1000 gram helmet with an integrated com system and faceshield.
    GF-kam and SoilSampleDave like this.
  10. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Follow up to my earlier post. I was told by reputable Klim dealer ( KTM / BMW shop ), Klim is in process of stocking replacement temple tensioner part for the face shield. I just don't know when they will show up online.

I encourage other owners of Krios and Krios Pro to work process with KLIM. Otherwise they ( Klim ) may not see this as a design issue. Collectively ( owners ) we have a stronger voice.

As author of this original thread Smackit stated, the overall attributes of the Klim Krios Pro helmet are big improvement in market. Most notably weight...one of lightest adventure helmet, Koroyd Technology, latest Transitional face shield, and Fidlock chin strap.
  11. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am going to backtrack a bit for those newcomers to the Klim vs. Nishua ( at louis.de ) form factor discussion. The referenced Nishua Enduro Carbon helmet is shown on the louis.de website ( Germany ) :

https://www.louis.eu/artikel/nishua-enduro-carbon-enduro-helmet/215086

Louis.de ( in Hamburg, Germany ). Louis.de does not ship to Canada or USA. Verified.

While we may debate whether the two helmets are identical, I argue the similarity is more like Chevy and GMC version of same model cars. The body looks the same ( form factor ), but the features are different.

Having said that, I scrolled down to the compatible parts ( screenshot ) on the louis.de website for Nishua version of helmet. Yup. Sure looks like the visor temple mechanics of the Nishau looks identical to the one on my KLIM Krios Pro.

This is what the Klim Krios Pro visor tensioner mechanism on 2019 helmet looks like:
    fullsizeoutput_a9f.jpeg

Close-up of Klim Krios Pro visor tensioner mechanism on temple. Looks like two screws hold it in place. Very similar if not identical to the Nishua Enduro Carbon helmet.
    fullsizeoutput_aa3.jpeg

Screenshot of louis.de website showing Compatible Parts for the Nishua Enduro Carbon helmet. I noticed in addition to the Visor Mechanism ( 9 Euro ), there is a Visor Cover Visor. Not sure if this cap is integral to the setup or optional cover when riding without the beak.
    Nishua replacement parts Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 9.22.17 AM.png

Side by side view of my Klim Krios Pro visor mechanism ( left ) to the screenshot of the Nishua visor mechanism. Basic design looks identical. On my helmet there looks like a rubber gasket under the top visor mechanism. The white space in the Nishua version is because it doesn't show the black gasket backing. I also believe the one shown on right ( Nishua one ) is the center Visor Tensioner Mechanism that drops into the outer triangular shaped outer ring on the Klim helmet. In otherworld the Visor Tensioner Mechanism fits into the center of the outer rimmed ring.
    Nishua  Visor mechanism Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 9.14.49 AM.png

Perhaps someone in Europe can test out the Visor Tensioner Mechanism to see if they are interchangeable . Only then can we be sure. I plan to traveling through Spain in late November. Maybe I can get one shipped to my hotel.
    tymetrvlr and tsak8 like this.
  12. kainam00

kainam00 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone else had issues with the peak vibrating / rattling?

I felt like the helmet was very quiet when I first got it, but after 15k miles it seems to have gotten much louder. Specifically there is a lot of rattling from the peak that's maddening at any speed.
  13. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Yup. Same here but it didn’t take as long...tried some silicone lube to quiet it down but the vibe continues...
  14. camello911

camello911 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem, turns out the the screw on top wasnt screwd down properly. jiggle the peak back and forth a bit and make sure the screw goes down in the proper location. either all the way forward or all the way back. anything in between will allow it to rattle.
  15. tymetrvlr

tymetrvlr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, I can test that out ! .... I purchased a Nishua in Germany 2 years ago (love the helmet) and it's been on my list to see if I can replace the shield with a photochromatic one........... I am on Oregon, just need to make it a priority to go to a store that carries the Krios.
    I'll post it here.
  16. tymetrvlr

tymetrvlr Long timer

Oddometer:
    p.s. I'll likely travel to London next spring, hopping over to visit my mother in Germany. Lois is right in my neighborhood
  17. kainam00

kainam00 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Top screw is tight and seated. The problem in my case at the two plastic screws on each side, there is too much play and you can make the peak rattle by just moving it around. I’ve tried everything from pieces of tape to make the opening smaller, to jamming a bunch of paper towels between the peak and the helmet at a gas station to damp the vibrations. The entire mechanism is just very cheaply made.

The whole thing is really subpar quality for its price point. That’s the frustrating thing about this helmet - we *know* Klim can make an excellent quality helmet - like the F5, which I have and love. It’s carbon, has MIPS, Koroyd, and Fidlock. Weighs like a feather, vents awesome, and has a very nice interior that’s not held on by velcro. And at the same time everything on the F5 is crafted with care and perfection, completely unlike the Krios. If I could have that level of protection and quality in an adventure lid (with a visor), it would be my perfect helmet.
    tymetrvlr and camello911 like this.
  18. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    49168975366_b1c2b01b0a_o.jpg I just got from the Maghreb with my Klim Krios Pro helmet. Otherwise known as the northwestern door into Africa. More specifically southern Spain and Morocco. Africa is more than three times the size of the U.S. So, very big and diverse content.

The last 2 days leaving Morocco it rained. The Klim helmet and Pinlock worked well in rain. The trick with any Pinlock system is to keep the lid ( visor ) completely down during rain to prevent moisture ( rain drops ) from getting on the inside. Pinlock fitment is far better than my old Arai XD4.

Each day I popped the visor off, rinsed it, and popped it back in. No fiddling around with finding a coin or screwdriver to remove visor. So far holding up.

Having a beak on the helmet really helps with the low angle in the sun during winter. First four days I was heading south in Morocco. So, always had the sun in view. Another advantage of having a dual-sport / adventure helmet with a beak. Will be posting some photos about trip.

By the way, I'd love to see how other inmates have their GoPro HERO 7 / HERO mounted on the Klim Krios Pro. A bit challenging finding a flat sport to mount the GoPro sticky helmet mounts. I'm currently using a Sena Prism Tube on my helmet.
    camello911 likes this.
  19. SS RICH

SS RICH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    . I find it impressive that finally someone has decided to branch out beyond EPS liners. There has been no push from the industry for innovation or change in any way. I do think the Krios pro and 6D are that Change. I do have a question regarding the placement of the kyroid material.in the Krios pro
    Does it come all the way down below the ears? Most impacts, I believe 70% are on the side of the head and not the top. I am quirious if it’s all EPS only on the sides I would have to wonder then if this helmet is worth the cost say over a Bell MX9 with MIPS.
    If it’s kyroid only on the top I am unsure how to navigate there decision not to come further down to the ears. Pleas give IMPUT
    Thanks, Rich
  20. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bottom of page 22 has a translucent photo from Klim. Looks like the Koroyd doesn't come down around ear.

FortNine has some great videos on helmet quality, when to get ride of, and comparison. Couple from FortNine:

The first half of video talks in general about helmet lifespan.

This next FortNine video shows compares some of the top 2019 helmets including Klim Krios Pro:

FortNine video..." cheap vs. expensive helmet " :

I've been very happy with my Klim Krios Pro. I was at my local dealer recently, and they reminded me that most of Klim's gear is made in batches. In other words supplies arrive once a year. I doubt that you can find a 2019 leftover Krios Pro. But, if you can, Klim usually discounts previous product up to 20%.