KLiM KRIOS Helmet

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Smackit, Aug 4, 2016.

1. minisoda

minisoda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Followed the link to the Nishua. Claims to be 1150 grams or 2.5 pounds. That's a full pound lighter than the helmets I've been looking at like the XD4. The Klim claims to be 3.25 which is still very light.

Anyone know the true weight on the Nishua and can they be ordered in the US?

I have some neck issues, so helmet weight is a MAJOR consideration in my search.
    drbuzzard likes this.
  2. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Before it was the Nishua it was the Uvex Enduro Carbon. I have a medium that weighs exactly 1003 grams with the visor and shield installed. Good luck getting one from Europe, everyone I tried refused to ship to the USA.
  3. minisoda

minisoda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can get it over here (know folks that live in EU or could grab one during a trip)... I guess the biggest question is if they sacrifice safety or comfort to get down to 2.5 lb. That is substantially less than I've been able to find even in carbon fiber!
  4. rivrider

rivrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, that is a big weight difference. Does beg the safety and structure questions.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  5. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    This helmet piqued my interest until I read that it has a single outer shell size

For those considering ordering the original from Europe, I have a Shoei from Europe that is practically the same as the American version except for the model name and Shoei would not replace a faulty part under warranty even though they told me the part for the American model is the exact same (DOT vs ECE?)

Luckily the part was only $30 but your 5 year warranty is practically null
  6. LittleWiggler

LittleWiggler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried a few on today.
    In the Krios the 'L' is too big - I can almost spin it around and have my nose in the ear pocket, and the 'M' is too small.

For reference, my Shoei's are size 'L'.
  7. 2upTogether

2upTogether Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We each own one of the Klim Krios helmets. I was in a XD4 and she was in a RX-Q. We like the helmet. Definitely more quiet than either Arai and much lighter. We don't claim to know how it is made or who makes it but we do know it costs less than Arai, Shoei or Schuberth latest offerings. With the two shields and pinlock it seems like a bargain. The weight reduction may not seem like a lot on paper but it is huge. It caught us off guard how quiet it was as that was not the claim from Klim. We ride mainly in Utah and it is always windy. This helmet is better in crosswind than the XD4. It is also better with aero lift from the visor. It may not be for everybody but we are happy. We were happy with the Arai helmets but these are lighter, quieter and cost less. You can see our review here. http://www.2uptogether.com/single-post/2016/09/26/Klim-Krios-Helmet
    Yellow Pig likes this.
  8. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    What size XD did you wear and what size Krios are you wearing now. Thanks
  9. Perspicacious

Perspicacious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Melbourne & Harrietville, Victoria, Australia
    I have had my Nishua Enduro Carbon helmet for a little over a week and I am very impressed. I was looking at buying the Klim Krios until the top of this thread pointed out the Klim was a rebranded Nishua. After a lot of internet snooping it seems that the Nishua Enduro Carbon is a rebranded Uvex Enduro Carbon. Uvex have stopped making motorcycle helmets, but Uvex knew their stuff. Buggered if I know how a Uvex helmet ended being made by Nishua in China.

The Nishua Enduro Carbon is only available at https://www.louis.de/ in Germany. If you live outside the EU you do not pay the 19% German VAT, so the helmet suddenly becomes much cheaper. I live in Australia, which only charges our version of VAT on packages >AUD$1000, so the 19% discount was a nice kicker.

I don't know about the Klim version, but the chin curtain on the Nishua is definitely removable. Like the Revzilla review of the Klim version says, XL in Arai/Shoei = L in the Nishua. My last 2 helmets were Arai XD-4 and a Shoei Hornet DS both XL. The Nishua fits in a size L.

Motorrad Magazine in Germany compared 13 dual sport helmets and the Nishua Enduro Carbon came out on top. You can read the comparison here: http://www.motorradonline.de/motorradhelme/on-offroad-helme-im-produkttest/601902

Compared to my previous Arai and Shoei the Nishua is MUCH lighter and quieter. The lightness in really surprising but the Motorrad Online comparison rated the impact resistance of the helmet very highly. At AUD$350 for the Nishua v AUD$800 for the Arai/Shoei equivalents, the Nishua beats the Arai XD-4 and Shoei Hornet hands down. I can attest to Motorrad Online's conclusions about the Nishua. It really is a cracking helmet with top-shelf build quality.

If I could fault the helmet it is only in respect of the chin vents. Those large external mesh chin vents do not vent internally to the chin. They vent upwards; up your nose really. I am considering drilling a couple of holes in the internal polymer in front of my chin which I can then stop up over the winter. I will think about that a while longer because I am loathe to take a drill to a motorcycle helmet.

One of the above commentators made reference to a "Made in China" helmet. The Nishua Enduro Carbon is ECE 22.05 compliant, which is good enough for me. The Motorrad Online comparison only bolsters that view. I long ago gave up thinking "Made in China" axiomatically equals poor quality and "Made in the USA" axiomatically equals good quality. Think iPhone and anything made by Chrysler.
    TGibson79 and Mutley1 like this.
  10. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the Uvex Enduro Carbon and just received my Klim Krios replacement shield from Revzilla. The fit is perfect, but I would say the weight is probably double what the original Uvex Supravision HD shield is. Uvex had 3 shields, Clear, Light Smoke, and Dark Smoke. Unfortunately, Klim and Nishua are only offering Smoke and Clear. I really wish they had the light smoke, it's perfect for almost all conditions. The Uvex Supravision is an anti-fog shield, so there was never a pinlock version.

Regarding the chin vents. I've had 2 of the Uvex Enduro Carbon helmets. One got drilled and the other didn't. I have other helmets for street and adventure riding, the Uvex is used only for enduro/trail rides so I took a dremmel tool and removed a lot of material from the chin area. It now flows a ton of air and I'm happy with it. I wouldn't do it if the intended purpose is an ADV helmet.

Regarding safety and why I have 2 of these. I was in the standing position and high sided at 25mph. I face planted directly on a rock and the bike came down on the back of my head. My riding buddy was sure I was dead but I walked away. The helmet showed no signs of fracturing, but I felt it was probably a good idea to replace it.
    Daveyf2w, sarathmenon, TBR and 4 others like this.
  11. 2upTogether

2upTogether Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Large XD4 and Medium Krios

In regards to other questions the chin vent is removable, has 3 snaps.
  12. Core10metal

Core10metal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dirty Jersey...actually, clean north Jersey
    Ok I'm an owner - Krios Stealth. Purchased from Revzilla...came next day of course. Coming off a large Shoei RF1100 and into a XL Krios. Fit was perfect.
    I have been waiting to purchase the right DS helmet and have been reviewing the top brands. I had an X2 Hornet but had to sell due to the fact that the sun shade was transferring a low thundering vibration into my ear. It was especially bad with sound isolating earplugs or buds. It became too painful to ride with this lid. I read the same issues with the Arai XD-4 http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/arai-xd-4-vibration-too-soft-peak.904854/
    It seems not everyone suffers from this sensitivity though. I didn't like the complaints about either the Nexx or the Scorpion as far as build quality or ergonomic issues so those were out. Tried on the Schuberth but it just didn't fit right. I gave up hopes on a DS helmet and started researching modular. Then this helmet was released.
    As a reference, my bike is 2012 r1200GSA with a standard screen and added adjustable spoiler. This of course makes a huge difference in airflow and buffeting.

Initial Impressions:
    This thing is light. I mean really light. Previous helmet is a Shoei RF1100 and Krios is substantially lighter.
    Interior finish could have been a touch better when compared with Shoei but no complaints for now - we'll see how it wears. Interior is velcro as others mentioned instead of the snaps. Installing a Sena 20s was not an issue - took about 15 minutes.
    There is no open/close for chin vent. It's just metal mesh that is directed up towards shield. I can actually see through vent if I look down. I'm behind a windscreen so not much flow which is prob a good thing for cold weather. I can see myself plugging the internal air vent in winter with some kind of rope foam. Wish they just took the effort to design an open/close switch.
    Visually the rear spoiler is odd. It would have been a cleaner looking helmet without it but perhaps it helps with stability and aerodynamics.
    Exterior finish is pretty decent. I could have done without the added graphic design as the carbon fiber pattern creates it's own aesthetic.
    I counted 8 branding K's or logos on the exterior. They're subtle in some places but a bit much.

Initial Ride:

Of course as soon as I put it on and rode I had to find a place to get it up to speed as my main concern was the ear vibration issue. As nice as this helmet is, if my ears hurt it would have to go. I found a "privately owned track" and got bike up to 95.......no vibration! Amazing.
    At that speed (and behind windshield), this helmet was so stable. No buffeting (remember I have an adjustable spoiler on the windshield as well). I would even dare say more stable than the Shoei. Absolutely no noticeable resistance when head checking. Standing up at 80 mph puts pressure on head/neck (don't do this). At regular speeds this lid is super smooth. This of course will change with rider height and different bike configurations. I did adjust my spoiler to different airflows and all seemed smooth and comfortable.
    It is such a pleasure to have a light helmet. I'm sure it'll reduce fatigue on long rides.
    Another surprise as many have mentioned is how quiet this helmet is. If I crack the shield, it's substantially louder. does carbon fiber a better sound insulator? I don't know. I always wear earplugs btw.
    The helmet comes with a clear and a dark pinlock ready shield and one pinlock lens. I thought this was a great deal as additional shields can cost up to $70.
    I do wish the the first indent on the shield was much smaller...1/4" instead of the approx 1"

Overall, I'm impressed with this lid and it's a keeper for me. I'll be interested to see how it handles in extreme cold/hot weather, and how much water will find its way into the chin vent.
    I think it's def worth the money, specially with the additional shield and pinlock. I'm also willing to pay more buying it stateside knowing Revzilla and Klim will stand behind product. I can't be bothered ordering anything overseas not knowing if it fits or not.
    There will be more testing/riding, specially off-road, long range, dusty/muddy conditions before final judgement.
    For those that are shying away from Klim because it happens to be the pop brand right now, I would ignore the hype and logos and review the helmet for what it can do for your comfort, safety and style of riding.

20160928_150053.jpg
  13. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    See line below from a review of the Nishua

The light weight, outstanding fit, with two different outer shell sizes, and optimal impact absorption make this helmet a great protector for any terrain.
  14. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    Ok but Shoei and others have a different shell for each size. It's an important criteria for me as I don't fall into 1 of 2 sizes. Imagine if footwear came in 2 forms with various amounts of padding to make them fit various sized feet...
  15. Orangespot

Orangespot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just installed the Sena 10U (Klim version) on my Krios. Will be testing it soon.
  16. Orangespot

Orangespot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To all the nay-sayers, I have a feeling Klim is more involved in the manufacture/certification of this helmet then just branding. This is a photo of the inside of the shell.

Attached Files:

ballisticexchris likes this.
  17. fire88dog

fire88dog CaptainStache

Oddometer:
    Anyone know how to see that motorrad review in good ole English?
  18. richamor

richamor like that when I got here

Oddometer:
    Klim (or any other company) would certainly not put stickers with another manufacturers name on their product whether they made it or not. It only means Klim had new stickers made.

My experience tell me that Klim had a rough design standard, a set of specifications, and a price point. This was sent to helmet manufacturers for bid. The ones that bid/quoted were brought in to iron out the details. If they had a helmet in their lineup that fit the Klim specs all it would need then would be the appropriate paint and stickers. That would be the most cost effective solution. That's not saying Klim did or didn't make/require some changes.....but any change to the original design would cost Klim money. And honestly, the Lazer and Nishua sound like very nice helmets to begin with. I have a Lazer on order from Germany just because of another thread like this. It was $284 delivered vs $599 for the Klim.

That would explain why the Klim modulars are the same as/based on the Lazer modulars. This DP/ADV helmet is apparently made by Nishua. I notice Klim chose sub-contractors that do not currently sell helmets in the US.

No doubt Klim paid for the DOT stamps and that alone would explain for some of the price difference. I would guess there are no-compete clauses in the supply contracts so don't look for the Nishua and Lazer over here any time soon.

Buy what you want and wear what you like. Klim isn't the first to do this sort of marketing and they will not be the last.
    ballisticexchris likes this.
  19. richamor

richamor like that when I got here

Oddometer:
    Right click on the page and select translate to English. Not perfect but you'll get the gist of it. Enough to know that the Nishua Carbon was the clear winner. I noticed that the new Schuberth E1 wasn't in the comparo.
    tymetrvlr likes this.
  20. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Long timer

Oddometer:
    That must be their justification for more than doubling the price