KLiM KRIOS Helmet

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Smackit, Aug 4, 2016.

1. NCD

NCD Dirty Hairy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I received an order confirmation for a replacement helmet (won't see it until the end of the month) so I let curiosity get the best of me.

The ENTIRE top and much of the sides are Koroyd. I'm very pleased to see this much in there. The EPS is around the lower perimeter where you need to attach things or have dedicated vent channels.

The carbon layup on the shell is clean and consistent. The vents above the shield not only head to your forehead, but also channel up on top of the Koroyd. That's why this thing feels so airy.

Klim was awesome with the warranty, so I will just share this one photo so owners in this thread and those considering the helmet here on ADV can see under the hood.

Ride on!

20200305_114056.jpg
    CJMCB, ZoomerP, Madman4049 and 7 others like this.
  2. dolomite

dolomite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess I've been hesitant since Revzilla says: In RevZilla's experience, Pinlock shields and inserts for Arai XD-4 Helmets are not as effective as Pinlock shields and inserts for other Arai helmets due to the compound curves of the shield.

There's also a new anti-fog face shield so maybe I should try that. Sorry to derail the thread!
  3. jerbelgium

jerbelgium Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nishua Enduro Helmet from Louis in Germany.

Today I was at their shop to try the Nishua Enduro helmet and L fitted like the XD4 in L. perfect.

I read a lot that this helmet is not available in the USA or Canada, and Louis is not shipping to you. In case you would be interested, or in case more of you are interested, feel welcome to contact me and I can arrange shipment for you.

Even if you would be able to group with more people, I will arrange the shipping of your helmets

feel welcome to DM me for my emailaddress and cell Phone number…………...
    motogluten and tsak8 like this.
  4. JMforPres

JMforPres Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. dolomite

dolomite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought one on ebay, I'm desperate for anything to make this helmet viable for another wet season. And Arai's $75 "fog-resistant" visor doesn't exactly get rave reviews.
  6. Bahox

Bahox Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been using Klim Krios Helmet in some middle east countries and some Asian countries.

+++ Light weight, good protection

--- very noisy, not enough ventilation

This is my worse comfortable helmet i have ever used. This helmet does not deserve that much money.

So I advice you that "DO NOT BUY KLIM KRIOS"
  7. kainam00

kainam00 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been working through my backlog of projects during this COVID19 lockdown thing, and decided to see if I can address the rattle. Looking closer at it, the problem is definitely that the locking mechanisms on the side are not tight and can move/rattle when hit by wind. On one side the peak actually comes in contact with "nub" that goes into the visor detents, which seems to make most of the noise, but the visor moving back and forth in the mechanism isn't helping. I've contacted Klim about this, but have not gotten a response.

I heard some people adding spacers/washers, so I took some pieces of an old tube and super glued them on the underside of the visor. Seems to make for a much tighter fit and eliminates the rattle. Hopefully this will be an easy fix to my problem, we'll see in a few weeks!

92846203_642119873303077_1291865543468384256_n.jpg
    Swashplate likes this.
  8. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice direction !

So remind me what happened to helmet to trigger warranty?
  9. NCD

Oddometer:
    @GF-kam it was an assembly mistake where the shell was glued to the foam out of whack. I didn't notice it for months.
    GF-kam likes this.
  10. Monty_Stubble

Monty_Stubble n00b

Oddometer:
    OK - A simple question - I've just plowed through these and I'm still not sure. Do Klim face shields fit on a Nishua?
  11. NCD

Oddometer:
    From what I understand - yes they are the same.
  12. MtnRider

MtnRider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes so does the visor
  13. Wildmtn

Wildmtn Still Lost

Oddometer:
    I recently grabbed a Krios Pro and like the light weight. I usually wear a Hornet x2 in XL and the Krios fit me best in a L. I think the Krios does better in the wind than my Hornet. I will say that it doesn't seem to seal up as well as my Hornet as I could feel air even with the vents closed on a cold ride.
  14. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like an endorsement for a more ventilated design, once we have temps in 90+ degrees.
  15. tsak8

tsak8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,

So has anyone "upgraded" from the Krios carbon to the newest Pro model?

I have no complaints from it but considering the Pro for the transitions visor and the extra(?) safety.
    Do you think is worth it?
  16. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never had the original krios but I did upgrade from a Schuberth E1, the lightweight, venting, transitions shield and comfort of knowing I have koroyd wrapped around my skull in an off is definitely worth it. Not to mention the added visibility through the bigger visor.

I will mirror Wildmtn though, it doesn't seal nearly as well as my Schuberth but then again not much does, Schuberth's renowned for going over the top with sealing, noise reduction, etc. If they were more lightweight I would have never left the Schuberth. The Krios feels like a dirt helmet with a visor, the Schuberth feels like a NASA helmet.
    Oeths, yoohah and tsak8 like this.
  17. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    I'm fascinated (and impressed) with the fact that Klim seems to be leading the charge in utilizing this new technology in their helmets. I would not have expected that from a company whose main products (until recently) have been clothing. You would have thought that it would take a bigger helmet manufacturer, with more dedicated resources, to do all the necessary design and testing.

I have an original K1R which is fabulously light and beautifully made. I love the transition shield also. It is the lightest, most comfortable helmet I have ever owned, by a wide margin and I would wear it all the time except... The top vents were so noisy as to make the helmet all but unwearable until I ripped them off, plugged the holes and molded covers over them. Then I realized that there was STILL horrible wind noise because the faceshield has a 1/8" gap along the top. I have got a strip of sealing foam in this gap but it's a bodge that makes the shield harder to close and detracts from the overall appearance and image of the helmet IMO.

Frankly, these almost inexcusable, fundamental design and quality defects makes me extremely wary of spending big bucks on another Klim helmet. I have started transitoning much of my riding gear to Klim because the quality and comfort is fabulous, IMO. I used a couple of pairs of their cheaper pants for a while before throwing down for an $800+ jacket and I'm pretty happy with that. I would dearly love to try the Krios Pro but will be waiting for the price to drop or hoping someone from Klim reads this and offers me a trade-up or product testing deal :lol2