KLiM KRIOS Helmet

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Smackit, Aug 4, 2016.

1. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Reaver made me do it...

Oddometer:
    Probably the shipping costs from China...
  2. Orangespot

Orangespot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nishua is owned by the German retailer Louis.
  3. Core10metal

Core10metal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dirty Jersey...actually, clean north Jersey
    I don't buy overseas on a high-priced, unfitted item so that wasn't even a consideration. My options were Shoei, Arai and Schuberth...maybe Nexx. This was $550 from Revzilla with 2 pinlock ready shields and a pinlock lens...and free returns. As far as I'm concerned it's an awesome deal and it's DOT and ECE certified. So far I absolutely love this helmet. The more I wear it the more I like it. I really can't get over how quiet it is.
    ballisticexchris and Orangespot like this.
  4. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Louis.de won't ship to the US.
    Smackit likes this.
  5. Orangespot

Oddometer:
    Same here, very happy with my Krios. I hope it will prove to be durable.
    Core10metal likes this.
  6. rheritage

rheritage Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just in from Germany, 2.9lbs I can't believe how quite this helmet is. Road trip this Thursday for distance test.

Attached Files:

nobody0101 likes this.
  7. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yellow Pig, curious...Several posts on this thread from US folk who have purchased from Louis.de, I have visited their site and gone all the way to the point of final entry, with shipping to USA, getting shipping cost to USA etc. etc.. Just haven't entered yet as I'm wanting to be sure about size. Where is your info coming from?
  8. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm bothered by the principal of the thing. The helmet retails for $223 which means Klim is getting it for substantially less. Sure they have to ship them over and they put on a ridiculous amount of logos. Maybe they even paid to get the dot rating and they're including an extra shield or something.
    But they're charging more than double the price. If it was a small percentage more than the 223 so they could cover the costs of getting it here then sure I could understand.
    People seem to see no problem with this simply because it has a big K plastered all over
  9. Orangespot

Oddometer:
    For those buying the Nishua from Germany, how does the warranty compare with the 5-year warranty Klim is providing?
  10. RJK

RJK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've put a couple hundred miles since getting the Krios w/ 10U. I've always owned street helmets but have always rode a GS as my primary bike. My last helmet was the C3 Pro w/ 10U. Had it for less than 2 yrs and it drove me nuts. I get that there are a zillion happy C3 Pro owners but I'm not one of them.

I'm not trying to make this a C3 bashing post, so I'll limit it to my reference point for comparison purposes.

First off, I'll reenforce the fact that I'm an XL in the C3 (and in general) but L in the Klim, eg it does run a size large. I haven't weighted them but the Klim is definitely lighter. In the few hundred miles of mixed riding, it's also been a relatively quiet helmet. There hasn't been any rattling or noise from the peak and it hasn't caused any "sail" issues. Head checks at speed are no different than my street helmets. In fact, aside taking some time to get used to the visor filling in my vertical view, it hasn't been intrusive at all.

I ride a '15 GSAW w/. Puig screen. The Klim feels like it cuts through the wind better. Wind noise is about the same with the visor up, but IMO more quiet closed. Phone calls (10U installed in both) are more clear in the Klim according to the various people I've spoken to. I can also talk at highway speeds with the visor up. I could never do that with the C3. Same idea with voice prompts, e.g. Siri. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the mic position, but by design it's not adjustable so IMO, it's still a fair comparison.

Speaker volume is not as loud in the Krios. Over 50-55mph, I can't hear music very well with ear pro and phone calls require a lot of, "say that again?" from me...they can hear me fine. The Klim does have deeper ear pockets than the C3, so I'm going to add pads that came with the 10U to fill out the space and see if that makes a difference. I'll get back with you on that one.

Venting is better than the C3, but I think that's only because of the larger visor opening, which allows for more air to flow through. The Puig screen pretty much blocks the chin vent on either helmet, and IMO neither flowed a lot through the crown.

The Klim visor detents are firm. I do agree that the first notch should be smaller (probably bother me the first time it's raining) but It's refreshing to have a visor that doesn't slam shut at the slightest bit of turbulence, eg C3. Yeah, I ride with the visor up when it's warm. I did mod. the C3 visor by adding o-rings to keep it from slamming shut, but in warm weather everything seems to loosen up and it doesn't help. Regardless IMO it shouldn't do that and it's annoying.

Visor changes are definitely easier on the C3. Neither require tools, but the Klim requires removal of one lever from each side, which obviously you could drop, lose, etc...No such problem with the C3. FWIW, Klim includes a spare set with the helmet.

I personally like the C3 ratchet chin strap version better than the d-ring style, but Klim gives you extra length so as far as d-rings go it's easy....the ratchet is just my own preference.

I decided to take the plunge and try the Krios because I wanted to try an ADV helmet with an integrated comm system. The fact that the Nishua got great reviews and the Krios is by all appearances a copy (Klim box absolutely says "Made in China"), comes with two visors, pin lock insert, and 10U & SENA handle bar mount for $800 sold me. With all that the Klim is definitely cheaper and IMO also a better helmet than one comparably equipped. If the product is superior, I could give a rats ass that it's made in China. Shoei/Arai are made in Japan, Schuberth/Germany, AGV/Nolan in Italy, and NEXX/?(Europe) so what's the big deal? Is there a US company that's of equal quality because I'll consider it.

One thing...Im assuming is temporary but SENA should be ashamed of...I tried checking the firmware today on the SENA site. The Krios is so new it's not listed, thus it's not recognized, which means no updates. I found this out after calling SENA for tech help. First call, the guy made me spell Klim and Krios, and proceeded to put me on hold for 30 min. before I hung up. I called Klim and they were more helpful and were surprised SENA had no clue. They told me they were going to contact SENA and give me an update.

Thinking I got an SENA FNG, I tried again. This rep was more receptive, but still had no idea about Klim. For the longest time, she thought venders were installing their systems in Klim helmets vs. being a collaboration between the two. She asked me to take a picture of the box the Krios came in to show that it had SENA stickers/markings on it. I told her to google Klim Krios SENA 10U and still she thought it was some kind of aftermarket install because they literally had no product info on the Krios. Bottom line, until SENA gets their heads out of their a$$, there won't be any ability to update. And if you're thinking the Krios has the latest version already since it's so new, you might be right, but my C3 Pro is on v.1.2.1 (IIRC) and according to the SENA mobile app the Krios has v.1.0. Can you blame me for wanting to check?

With all that said, I am going to ask Schuberth to fix my helmet since it's only a few yrs old. I'm assuming the visor will be easy, but the other nagging issue I didn't mention till now is that the chin bar won't stay up. The detent is so loose, the only way it'll stay up is to keep my head tilted back. Yeah I checked the screws and they're tight. We'll see how good their CS is I guess.

Either way, I'm very happy with the Krios, rebranded or not, more expensive than the Nishua, or made in China. It's still better in so many ways than the Schuberth, Arai, Bell, and Shoei's I've worn/owned over the years.

But as always just my opinion and YMMV.
    sevax and turtlemoye like this.
  11. Orangespot

Oddometer:
    Sena did not even have the Krios version of the 10U User Manual but Klim was happy to email me a copy.
    Did you try to enable the Audio Enhancement feature to see if it helps with the volume level?

12. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    When I looked last week there was no option for USA shipping. I e-mailed them and received a response stating they do not ship to the US.

Dear Mr. B,

thank you for your email and interest in our products.

We don´t ship to the United States, we apologize.

For further questions please feel free to contact us again.

With kind regards,
    Nicole Wolf

------------------------------------------------------------

Bestellannahme

Detlev Louis
    Motorrad-Vertriebsgesellschaft mbH
    Rungedamm 35
    21035 Hamburg

http://www.louis.de
    Mailto:eek:rder@Louis.de
    Tel.:+49 (0)40 734 193 60
    Fax.:+49 (0)40 734 193 5566

Geschäftsführer:
    Nico Frey, Joachim Grube-Nagel

Sitz und Registergericht: AG Hamburg HRB 134260

Zum elften Mal in Folge – Louis ist "Best Brand"!
    Die Leser der MOTORRAD wählten Louis auch 2016 wieder zur besten Filialkette
  13. RJK

RJK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do have that option selected. I installed the speaker pads tonight, so I'll see if that makes a difference. Can't ride to work tomorrow but plan to on Wed/Thurs. I'm pretty confident that if the speakers are closer to my ears, it'll solve the volume issue. As it is now, if I squeeze my fingers past the cheek pads, there's at least a full finger width of space between the speaker and my ear.

BTW: Recived an email from SENA, and they stated they haven't updated their site yet (obviously) but assured me v 1.0 is the latest version.
  14. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    Where did you order from?
  15. Orangespot

Oddometer:
    Yours came with speaker pads? can you post a photo?
  16. JC100

JC100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd be all over this and be sending my order off to Europe straightaway if this thing had a drop down sun visor. Since I had my first helmet with one in I would find it hard to go back to a helmet without one now. If there was an available transitions visor that would be a good alternative.
  17. rheritage

rheritage Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A friend, unfortunately I ran into the same issue as everyone else, dealer will not ship to the states.
  18. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    So who are the guys that managed to ordered from Louis you speak of?
  19. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    As I posted above, I have a Shoei that I bought at Louis when I lived in Germany and Shoei would not honour the warranty in NA even though they sell the same helmet here. YMMV
  20. RJK

RJK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is what they look like: http://www.sena.com/?attachment_id=27045

Basically you stick your speakers to the pad, and the pad sticks to the velcro on the helmet.

Now you got me thinking. Last night after a few beers and boxes of parts laying all over the place, looking for said pads, I may have found them from my Schuberth set up. I'm not 100% sure now if they came with the Krios. :hmmmmm:fpalm