Klim Latitude Suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Xeraux, Aug 16, 2011.

1. tag346

tag346 Roaming Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dogi. Ordering a pair of Latitude pants tomorrow.

Same here. Gore makes great product and stands behind it. Besides gear for the road....love Gore-tex Pro for ski gear.
  2. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just returned from a 5-day ride in the Dolomites in Italy. I had my Latitude, BMW Atlantis 3 gloves, Alpinstars Toucan boots and my Hit-Air airbag vest. All worked extremely well. We had weather ranging from sunny/80F in the valleys to cloudy/rainy/50s in some of the passes. We also got stuck with a 90 minute autobahn ride in a fairly hard rain.

My riding partners had external rain suits. I was always dry and comfortable. When hot, the venting worked well. When is started raining - I simply zipped up. I often had to wait for them to either put on or take off their rain gear. One guy had slip-on waterproof overgloves that added a few minutes to any stop.

This is the best combination of gear i have tried. Bone dry in the worst rain - yet very comfortable, even hot. I'm sold on having full Gore-tex gear - no more add-ons for me.

Here the only Latitude problem of the trip. I had stopped to take some photos and buy a Coke. I typically kept my wallet in my pants pocket (nice and dry). While distracted talking to one of my buddies, I inadvertently slipped the wallet into the air vent in the side of the Latitude pants - then rode off. Later that night, I could not find my wallet and was sure I had dropped it. I called my wife in the US to cancel my credit cards and sunk into the "I screwed up" hole for a while. The next morning when I went to put on the pants, I found the wallet. It has slipped down all the way to the cuff of the pants - safe and sound. It took a bit of digging to get it back out - but I was happy.

I can't compare the Latitude to any other all-Gore suits as this is the only one I have. I can tell you that my riding buddies had clear "gear envy" as they were always too hot, too cold or stopping to add/delete gear. I just sat on my bike waiting for them.
  3. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Well I sent in my Latitude to Klim after discovering some pilling on the right chest after I got back from a 7800mi trip up north. I was clueless as to why it would wear like this on a 2 month old jacket when no gear was rubbing it. They said they'd never seen this before with this material (Misano) and wanted to take a look at it. They contacted me today to say the hook Velcro from the collar is what's been rubbing it when the collar isn't zipped up all the way. I only zip it up when raining. They repaired the pilling and at the suggestion of their developers, are replacing the Velcro with a snap so it'll no longer rub through the Misano fabric. It's all being done under warranty. This is my 2nd Klim jacket being sent in under warranty. First one was a Badlands that had the reflective arm panel delaminate and was replaced. The Badlands is built like a tank, but I question the durability of the Misano fabric if hook Velcro will abrade it. I also wonder if the next version will have a snap collar instead of Velcro. I'm curious to see how it'll turn out because when I'm riding and it starts pouring I liked being able to zip up the collar and secure it as best I could with the Velcro. It seems now it may take a more deliberate action to secure it which may not be so easy moving 75mph down the freeway. Not sure I'll keep it as I found other deficiencies in the Latitude during my 12 day trip through mud, rain, sleet, snow and dust, but I'll be sure to come back and post pictures of their modification in case anyone else is having the same problem with the Velcro pilling the fabric.
  4. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought some Latitude Misano pants to pair up with a Badlands Pro jacket. Though I am quite happy with the shells, I absolutely did not like the D3O armor in either item. Taking a "test down" on one knee was quite painful (unlike with my Aerostich Roadcrafter). Since I have had bucket-handle tears in both knees, I need to be careful with what's left of the meniscus. The hip armor is so small and flat as to be a bad joke. The Badlands jacket armor was no better. The elbow pads were painful just from riding contact.

So, I bought a full set of Roadcrafter TF3 pads (knee, shoulder, hip, & elbow) and determined to try to fit them into the Klim. With some trimming, all eight pads installed with very little fuss. The jacket and pants are much more comfortable now. The "test down" passes with flying colors.

I am sure there is a technical argument to be made for "CE approvals" and such, but the test results tell me enough to say it's a keeper. I have crashed a Roadcrafter with total impunity in 1997, so I am satisfied that the pads will protect.
  5. Hikertrash

Oddometer:
    Believe it or not, the Latitude D30 armor is thinner, lighter and a bit more comfortable. I had no idea until I bought a Latitude jacket and compared the armor from my Badlands jacket. One is level 2 and one is level one. I can't remember which is which, but if you pulled your Latitude knee pads you'd see they're labeled different than your Badlands. I actually put the Badlands armor in my Latitude jacket for the better protection it offers.
  6. Travman

Travman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for that suggestion. You know it's those simple silly little mods that are staring you in the face but you never think of them, and yet they have a big impact. Took the winglets off and now have a nice airflow right to the chest. They'll go back on in the Fall. :clap
  7. Hikertrash

Oddometer:
    No problem. A salesman at Ironhorse BMW told me about that and I've been removing them when the temps go above 90 ever since. It's amazing how much air those things block which is great when it's cold and raining:D
  8. casperghst42

casperghst42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The D30 used in both the Latitude and Badlands are only impact protection, there is no abrasion protection ... and it's not possible to fit armor which does provide abrasion protection. You don't know you need abrasion protection until you start sliding... and then it's too late.
  9. casperghst42

Oddometer:
    I had a small spill end of may, and did slide a good 3 meters (35km/h). After that I discovered that there are major difference between abrasion and non-abrasion protection - the painful way. The Latitude Jacket does not have abrasion protection, which is a major fault, actually I am amazed that the D3O armor they are using can be CR approved.

I was at a BMW shop in Germany last weekend and got to talk to the sales people in the cloth department, they more or less falling over laughing when they saw the protection in the Latitude - and I understand them, BMW, Rukka (*), Stadler provide better protection, yes for slightly more money, but is an arm actually worth 300-400€.

(*) Rukka uses the same D3O as Klim - T5 Evo - but it's thicker and will probably provide abrasion protection.

So, I'm not impressed with Klim, and for a product produced in China it's way too expensive....
  10. beemerphile

Oddometer:
    The Latitude armor is thinner, lighter, more comfortable and less protective than the Badlands Pro, but neither was as comfortable or protective as the Aerostich TP3 pads for me. I don't think they hold a candle to the BMW NP armor either, however fitting NP armor to the Klim looked like a much more difficult job. The Aerostich TP3 has a thermoformed hard exterior surface for abrasion and penetration protection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nor am I, but I am trying to recover my investment and make the suit usable and safe.
  11. Hikertrash

Oddometer:
    BMW has the best padding in the market IMO. my first gear was BMW and when I tried other gear, I was shocked to see it barely covered your knees or elbows and moves around so much easier. This is one of the reasons I may trade I my Latitude for a GS Dry jacket.
  12. keiji

keiji Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having both seen the test numbers, and crashed in TF3, I have to say the impact protection is very poor. The hard shell also tends to rip up the membrane in even the lightest crashes.

My guess is that the d3o in the latitude is the thinner evo line
    http://www.d3o.com/wp-content/uploads/d3olab/T5-Evo-range.pdf
    http://www.aerostich.com/protection
  13. beemerphile

Oddometer:
    Whatever. It hurts when I drop on the D3O and it does not hurt when I drop on the TF3. In my one crash experience it held up well to a knee impact and I was not injured. But since I have never made a statement on the internet that was not judged to be false by some Greater Being I should probably just STFU.
  14. Hikertrash

Oddometer:
    As promised, here are pictures of Klim's solution to the hook Velcro rubbing against the Misano chest fabric. They did the revision under warranty and maybe we'll see the new Latitudes coming out like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  15. the_doc

the_doc Street Convert

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a 2000 mile trip with my latitude suit and It performed pretty well. No heavy rain, but we did encounter multiple hours of temperatures over 100 deg F. With all the vents open on the jacket and the pants, I was as comfortable as you can be wearing a jacket in 100 deg heat. I have to disagree that it is any hotter than any other similar weight riding gear. (I have the white jacket and black pants)

Also I can say that the vent zippers are in fact a total bitch to operate even when not moving down to the road.

I also have to disagree that the armor is uncomfortable. I didn't have a problem with it over my trip. In fact I thought the knee armor was quite a bit more comfortable than my old leather over-pants.
  16. casperghst42

Oddometer:
    How stupid is that, now it's no longer adjustable. Just Klim in their wisdom, could they then not have done something like other brands where it's adjustable.

Also how do you then "lock" it open - that option seems to be gone.

17. Hikertrash

Oddometer:
    I've never had to adjust the neck closure when it had Velcro. As seen in the photos, the lock open option has not been altered. My thinking is if hook Velcro can wear through Misano fabric, what happens if you slide on it in a get off?
  18. casperghst42

Oddometer:
    I don't have a neck ... so I have to adjust it to be able to close it ...

I can tell you what happens if you have an off in a Latitude Jacket, the armor is not abrasive (non of the Klim Jackets come with certified abrasive armor). I had a minor off at approx 35 km/h.

I now have part of my arm which does not have much feeling in the skin (seeing a neurologist early August). I landed with my arm under my body, and the armor did take the fall, but the when I slid it move away and there is not much protection in the fabric of the jacket .. it will last (looks like), but it will not give much abrasive protection.

I'm now back to my 6 year old Stadler jacket which comes with Level 2 armor. I got the Klim as a cheap option with Gore Tex in the jacket (ie. no 3 layer jacket), and yes it is a nice jacket, but after my small off it scares me.
  19. apexal

apexal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last spring I bought the Latitude Misano jacket and the non-Misano Latitude pants. I'm happy with the quality and features and both jacket and pants seem to vent quite well in temperatures up to 90 degrees F. What I haven't tested is how waterproof the jacket and pants are since I just haven't hit any heavy rain yet.

So here's my concern: I'm leaving for a 3 to 4 week trip to Newfoundland in early August. Should I carry my rain gear or will the Latitude be sufficient? The reason that I bought the Latitude gear is to me able to ride in heat, cold and rain and carrying a rain suit defeats the purpose of buying it. But it sucks being wet.
  20. Hikertrash

Oddometer:
    I rode 6 days straight of heavy rain last month in Canada and never had a leak. You'll be just fine.