Klim Latitude Suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Xeraux, Aug 16, 2011.

1. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I purchased the Latitude suit a couple of years ago and I really liked it. It was fine in all weathers and, other than the baggy M.C Hammer-designed pants, it served me well. Earlier this year, though, I noticed I was starting to get a bit more than damp when it rained. In "frog chokers," I get pretty much soaked from the waist up. I tried some of waterproofing stuff and it helped a little. I finally got tired of the hassle and sold the suit. I'm back to my 1997 Aerostitch Darien. I've never been wet in that suit . . . . . ever.

Mike
  2. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Concur. Just take a moment to be sure the zips are ALL THE WAY closed. Klim Latitude = no rain gear req'd
  3. apexal

apexal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those were the answers that I was looking for. I like it when I like the answers :-)

4. Pinozul

Pinozul Miles to Go Before....

Oddometer:
    One other thought though: My original pair of Klim Badlands Pro pants had a leak in the crotch area that I didn't realize was there for several months since I so rarely ride in the rain in Colorado. But one weekend I rode through some torrential downpours and got very wet and cold. (Klim did replace the pants via the warranty process.)

If you haven't ridden in much rain, I'd recommend testing your gear (including your gloves) before the trip: Sit on the bike with all your gear zipped up and have someone soak you with a hose for at least 10 minutes. Make sure you get heavily sprayed in all areas, including the crotch. "Soak" is the key word here.

If the DWR (durable water repellant) treatment is in good shape, the water should bead up on the Klim pants and jacket. If the DWR is in need of re-treatment, the fabric will absorb water, which over time will begin to feel clammy, even if the water isn't actually getting inside the garment.

Assuming you find no leaks with this test, I would also wash, re-waterproof, and dry your pants and jacket before the trip. Re-treating the waterproofing on my year-old Klim gear made a big difference; water now beads up on the gear rather than soaking into the cloth. Two products that worked well for me: GearAid Revivex Synthetic Fabric Cleaner Concentrate (for washing) and GearAid Revivex Durable Water Proofing (for re-treating the DWR).
  5. apexal

apexal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Latitude jacket and pants are nearly brand new so I don't see a need to wash them or treat them. I did get in the shower with the jacket, pants and riding boots on, got thoroughly wet including underarm and crotch, but had no leaks. Probably not as good a sitting on the bike while being hosed but the shower test showed leaks with my Dainese gear. But I think that it comes down to this: if I have room, I'll take along the rain gear, if not, we go with just the Latitude suit.

Is it true that putting the Klim jacket and pants in a clothes dryer activates/re-activates the waterproof treatment?

6. Blueshark

Blueshark Coastal Castaway

Oddometer:
    Last small beach town N of LA, S of Pt Conception
  7. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is what I was told by the factory rep when I bought my gear.
  8. apexal

apexal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put my Latitude jacket and pants to the test today. Rode down from midcoast Maine today in the rain, mostly all highway, the last 35 miles in heavy rain. The jacket and pants kept me dry except for a damp (wet?) spot on my shirt on the front of the left elbow area. That seems to be reasonable protection in my opinion. Agree?

One other thing, maybe it was on this thread, but I read that you should tuck your gloves into the sleeves. That doesn't make sense to me. I'd want gloves over jacket sleeve so the opening faces towards the rear.
  9. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not if the geometry of your bike is such that the main mechanism for water entry is water running down your arms.

Do whatever is best for you, but a bunch of us have the experience that gloves over jacket.... instant wicking of water from sleeve into lining of glove. Putting jacket over gloves where lining is protected from water.... dry hands. YMMV.

- Mark
  10. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you leave your gloves' gauntlets on the outside, you'll be fine, for the most part, when riding. When you stop to fill up, water will roll down your sleeve and into your glove. If you put the gauntlets on the inside of your sleeve and cinch the cuff tight, that won't happen and the inside of your gloves will stay dry.

Mike
  11. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    Seriously, we need to have a conversation on whether a glove goes on the inside or outside of a sleeve to keep water out? People can't figure out how to keep the water out of their waterproof gloves?

The "dumbing down" of the population is in full swing. :doh

Here's a hint: If you try it one way and your hand gets wet, then try it the other way. If neither of those ways work, then try a different glove. If you still get wet, then stay home and play with your gerbil or whatever you have.
  12. ezwicky

ezwicky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i rode 1100 miles last weekend in the VA mountains, about 400 miles in steady rain. my badlands pants kept my legs dry. the latitude jacket did its part, BUT i had a neck gaiter on, to fill the gap between the jacket collar and the bottom of my helmet, and it wick'd water down into the jacket. stupid mistake... going forward i will wear one of those gore-tex dickies that go OVER the collar.
  13. EastRoad

EastRoad Road Viking

Oddometer:
    After a long series of getting soaked to the bone in my BMW Rallye 3/2 suit... (3 JAcket, 2 Pants) despite the Waterproof insert... I looked around for another suit.
    Also I did want one that was full gore-tex and not something with a Z-Liner construction...

Long story short, my local BMW dealer has a good amount of KLIM gear to and I first bought the latitude jacket... and was so pleased that about a month later I bought the latitude pants.

Not cheap - but I've since been riding in the sorry excuse for our local summer (mostly rain) - and have finally stayed dry without the need to add a rain-jacket or anything else.

The pants are a bit "roomy" but they sit well once you're on the bike and are really comfortable.

The vents work well...
    And after a few miles (about 2000 in the jacket) it's already starting to be nicely broken in.
    At first it was a tad stiff - but that's to be expected from the cordura/gore-tex fabric.

my opinion: highly recommended.
  14. apexal

apexal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Apparently you need to be part of the conversation and your needless sarcasm seems to be the actual dumbing down. If you don't like these posts get off you computer and play with your own gerbil. It's a good thing that people like you are a minority on this site.

15. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where do you get a gore tex dickie to go over the jacket? I need one. Who makes them? I need answers.....NOW!:D
  16. ezwicky

ezwicky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Just picked up ANOTHER Latitude Misano today. I believe this is # 5 or 6. I've had every revision I think and looks like this is another one. A local dealer (GoAZ ) price matches Promotive prices so they ordered it direct from Klim. I've searched long and hard for a comparable jacket for under $500 and I can't find anything. Certainly not Gore - tex. I ordered a black one again because for some reason the gray Misano fabric is much thinner than the black Misano fabric. In the pics you'll notice that they've gone back to black mesh back armor sleeve and inside pockets like pre - Polaris jackets, but the biggest surprise is the "Made in Vietnam" tag. Could this mean better quality control? I hope so. I was disappointed to find the Misano fabric being worn away by the hook velcro from just a 45 minute ride home with the collar folded down. My last Misano was repaired under warranty as you've seen in this thread. I put a piece of loop velcro over it to prevent it being damaged any further and I don't want Klim to put another snap on it so I'll just live with it. Something to look out for if you fold your collar down.

FYI: this Vietnam made Latitude is cut big like the old latitude 840 jackets. The 840 Latitude was always too big for me with elbow pads floating all around even with arm adjusters all the way in. Sadly this new Latitude Misano does the same thing. I can fit both my arms in the sleeves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Blueshark

Blueshark Coastal Castaway

Oddometer:
    Last small beach town N of LA, S of Pt Conception
    Please elaborate. Are you wearing them out? Selling the old one every quarter or half year and buying another? Appreciate the info and trying to understand the full context.
  20. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    LOL, I kind of have a love/hate relationship with Klim products. Their customer service is top notch, but they're products have no consistency as far as sizing or quality goes. My first 840 Latitude a couple years ago fit too big (they're cut much bigger than the Misano). My 2nd one was the grey Misano but sold it after a couple months because it was too white and I looked like pigpen after commuting everyday. Third was was a black Misano 2014 edition that went to the Arctic Circle with me June 2014. Overall I loved it except after the zippers were dusty for riding the Dempster and then riding through rain for 6 days, the jacket had to be removed to zip open/close the vents. Minor nit pick, but when I returned home, I found the Misano fabric on the right shoulder was worn. I contacted Klim and they had never seen anything like it before so wanted to show it to their production designers and warranty team. They concluded that the Misano fabric had worn through from the male Velcro on the collar when the collar was folded over for warm weather riding. They repaired the fabric and replaced the collar Velcro with a snap under warranty. I hated the snap and disliked the fact that a motorcycle jacket could be compromised by a piece of Velcro and sold it and searched for a replacement. I tried the Revit Sand 2, Olympia Motoquest, BMW Tourshell and Streetguard 3 and 4. I also bought a new Latitude 840 in grey thinking it would be more durable, but forgot how much bigger cut they are compared to the Misano and so sold it because it was too big. Then I purchased a used 2014 Misano in gray, but the Misano fabric is so thin on the gray jackets, that it felt like it was made of nylon taffeta. The previous inmate who sold it to me also knew about the Velcro issue and installed a piece of loop Velcro to the collar to prevent damage. I sold that one and had this new one ordered and intended to put the loop Velcro on the collar, but the Misano fabric was already fraying from wearing it on the ride home. I took a lighter to the frayed threads to stop further damage and it should be fine now. I do really like the 2014 Latitude, though because they put mesh in the chest pockets so they can be used as vents and I actually find it vents just as well as the Badlands jacket which I've had three of all due to warranty issues (whole other thread) :D