Klim Latitude Suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Xeraux, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Silverfin

Silverfin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you tell me why you like the Misano over the Badlands Pro. Perhaps it is fit (I need the big fit actually). I also need the grey color as we are headed south and dont want the solar loading from the black color. Hopefully the BLPro used heavier fabric in the grey panels. Thanks for shedding light on the (major) issue.
  2. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    I don't like the Misano and actually prefer the Badlands Pro and love that Proshell, but they just don't fit my body. My first one I bought used and it was pre Polaris and fit great. It was damaged in a wreck on the CDR last year and I replaced it with a new one which was post Polaris and they're made with a different fit (skinny arms). It was ok for awhile, but was very tight with a thin fleece under it and unwearable after getting back in shape. I tried on an XL (next size up) but it was way too big. I could've fit a basketball in the stomach area. Klim seems to jump up two sizes instead of one size and you'll see this complaint from many who have tried the on or own them. I never used the belly band and had taken out the chest pads when used for commuting although they got smaller than previous years so they were fairly unobtrusive. The Latitude fits my body much better than the current Badlands, but maybe one day they'll make them sized for normal people. I thought about trying the Revit Poseidon, but can't justify paying $900 for a jacket. I wouldn't pay retail for the Badlands either, but for their MIL/LE price is pretty fair.
  3. apexal

apexal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just rode 5000 miles with my Latitude jacket and pants on a couple loops through Canada and couldn't be happier. I like the waterproof shell, the great venting in hot weather and all the features including the plentiful pockets. I'm 5'8" tall & 175 pounds, so the size L jacket is a bit bulky but I really don't care when I'm riding. I like the way the air moves through the jacket and it gives me a lot of layering options.
  4. TBickell

TBickell And away we GO !!

Oddometer:
    I see that Klim is now offering the Latitude( and others) on sale now. Decent prices. I have pretty much worn out my Rev-it Cayenne pro outfit ( very good kit) and want some gore-tex stuff without a liner system. After reading some of the previous posts I am more confused than ever and I read a ton of reviews and watch the video's etc. So is the Misano a lesser version of the original 840 version? I felt that the original Latitude had a lame collar ( too high and stiff) and the whole jacket felt too stiff. I want to pull the trigger on the Hi-viz Misano and pants but want to know have even the Misano versions been updated/updated and if so what changes have been made.
  5. Hikertrash

Oddometer:
    The Misano uses 840 on the abrasion areas and Misano on the rest of the jacket. The Misano is a little bit lighter and cut smaller than the 840 jacket. However, Klim has now started making the jackets in Vietnam as well and the Vietnamese made Misanos are cut big like the older 840 jackets. The 2014 Misano jackets also have a softer collar, Velcro on the collar to hold the flap open and have mesh lined chest pockets that double as vents. I found the 2014 Latitude actually vents better than the Badlands with those chest vents open. One thing to be careful about the Misano is if you fold down the collar in warm weather, the "hook" Velcro on the collar will wear through the Misano chest area. Mine was repaired under warranty because of it, but I question the overall durability of the Misano fabric if it can be compromised by Velcro.
  6. TBickell

Oddometer:
    thank you. So now I have to figure out if the Latitude that is now on sale is the 2013 or the newest version. What I still can't understand is why Klim has failed so bad in the collar/velcro area and why there are so many questioning the waterproofing qualities of their product. If its Gore-tex and at that price point I should be able to ride my bike thru a car wash and not get wet.
  7. Hikertrash

Oddometer:
    It should be the newest version unless you buy from a dealer that doesn't sell many and has new old stock.
  8. macbethandbanquo

macbethandbanquo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an 840 Black Latitude in Large and it's a fairly good fit but read that the Misano could be cut big so TODAY I ordered the on sale Hi Vis Misano in Medium.

Very helpful comments on upgrades. I, too, hope they send a 2014 model.

I'll also pay attention to see if Hi Vis Misano part is thin.

Very pleased with 840 jacket and pants!! Hope the Misano is as good.
  9. TBickell

Oddometer:
    let us know how you like that Hi-Viz Misano. That is what I would be ordering exactly.
  10. macbethandbanquo

Oddometer:
    :browI certainly WILL let y'all know.

Revzilla emailed me it was shipped Fed Ex and should be here Thursday.

I'm going to try it on and check fit and look with several pants I own:

BMW Santiago

BMW AIRFLOW ( I think this should pair well for summer)

Klim Dakar old model light grey

Daniese Air Drake in Black

Klim Black 840 pants

SOMETHING ought to look good!!!
  11. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    Revzilla got me my Hi-Viz Misano jacket & pants today (ordered Sunday). I'll test them out tomorrow, but my initial impression is pretty good.

I'm 6'2", 34" inseam, and generally 200 pounds, though I'm currently 210 due to excessive consumption and completely ignoring my exercise routine. Ordered a Large jacket and 34 Long pants. The jacket fits perfectly. There's enough adjustment between the forearm and waist straps to allow it to fit snugly with only a T-shirt or with an array of fleeces or a Gerbing's liner. Bicep straps would be nice though.

The pants are.....Well dammit, they're snug due to the extra 10 pounds I'm carrying right now. With the adjusters all the way open they fit with some stretch left in the rear elastic. Give me two weeks and they'll be fine. What's odd though is that if I did size up, they'd be baggy on my legs and in the butt.

Sitting on the bike, everything feels good. The jacket in particular feels a little stiff, though nowhere near as stiff as the Badlands I'd previously tried on. The pockets are a little smaller than I'd expected, and the map pockets are largely superfluous for me. There is no velcro on the vent covers or the map pocket zipper covers....I hope that's not an issue. Similarly, the horizontal back exhaust vent is somewhat disappointing, as two vertical vents work much better.

Still and all, it looks like it'll be a good replacement for my Teknic Freeway and make for a good fall-spring touring suit.
  12. Hikertrash

Oddometer:
    Watch the right side collar Velcro if you fold down the collar in warmer weather. It'll wear out the Misano fabric on the right upper chest/shoulder area. Best to cut a piece of loop Velcro the same size and cover it if folding the collar or Klim will repair it under warranty and replace it with a snap.
  13. Blueshark

Blueshark Coastal Castaway

Oddometer:
    Last small beach town N of LA, S of Pt Conception
    I have a minor concern about the elastic cord at the back of the neck that tightens up the collar. It's sewn deep into the jacket. When the elastic in the cord starts to break up, it's going to have to just be tied off at one setting, or sent back in, or something. It leaves a loop of elastic cord sticking out of the back of your neck. This is not a very good design. I like the rest.
  14. macbethandbanquo

Oddometer:
    Got my Klim Misano Latitude Hi Vis in today! Initial impressions: quite pleased!

I ordered a Medium and it fits exactly as I had hoped! Trim and fitted. ( I have a LARGE Black Latitude and it fits fine too, but not trim and arms a tad long. But it is fantastic in cooler weather with layers! Gerbings works super with it. No complaints)

The Misano from Revzilla( called them to make sure I got 2014 model since I DO want the updated version with mesh in upper pockets for increases air flow) they had no control over which model was sent but said I probably would get 2014 model). I DID receive the 2014 model made in Vietnam and got to compare fit on both the 840 Large and Miano Medium.

I want the Misano for summer riding and temps down to about 50. I want the Latitude for Fall when temps are below 50. Here in Louisiana it is rarely below 40.

I DID find that the Trim Misano allowed my LD Comfort shirt and sleeves and a Hyperkewl on top for summer riding quite easily. Also fits over Klim Mid layer and a First Gear TPG jacket. Good enough for about 50 degrees

However my Gerbings is a tad too bulky to fit underneath it. Fits well under my Large 840.

Hi Vis Misano looks matched with BMW AIRFLOW silver pants. Also super with black Dainese Air Drakes. Also rocks with my black 840 Latitude so I don't see buying ite Misano pants. The 840 vents well.

I weigh about 185 have a 44 chest and am about 5'10. The Medium Vietnam Misano is a perfect trim fit for me. Mind you, if you want to layer up for the fall you will be better served with the large.

I am one of those style conscious people. Everything has to match and look good as well as function. I hate baggy stuff.

Rained most of day. Will get out early tomorrow for test run.
    More later.
  15. '05Train

Oddometer:
    Made me look. Both jacket and pants are made in Vietnam.

The fit on the pants is odd. As I said, I'm snug at the waist, but perfect everywhere else. Fewer IPAs will fix that. The jacket is perfect....Well, other than the lack of bicep straps, chest vents, and vertical exhaust vents.

90 humid degrees is the limit for this jacket (for me).

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.
  16. ezwicky

ezwicky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hi all, tacking this question onto the latitude thread:

i had the opportunity a month ago to test the latitude jacket and badlands pants in steady rain for a few days. the pants kept me dry, the jacket itself didn't get me wet, but the klim neck-warmer that i was wearing wicked water into the front of the jacket and my chest was damp and cold.

regarding the collar tightener, does it work pretty well to seal out runoff? there's a gap between the helmet and the collar and i am wondering what other riders do in order to effectively seal that area.

i have since then bought a gore-tex balaclava that is meant to be worn under the helmet of course, and outside the collar, over the jacket. is anybody else using this solution? i haven't had a chance to try it out in rain yet.

thanks,

-eric
  17. ezwicky

ezwicky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my latitude misano jacket is made in china and it has the chest pockets vented to the inside of the jacket. where did you hear that only the vietnam-made jackets have this feature?

-eric

edit: i think i mis-read your posting. you were saying that the vietnam-made jacket has a different cut, but the reference to the vented chest pockets was for all jackets starting with 2014 model, right?

sorry about that :)
  18. macbethandbanquo

Oddometer:
    Right! No offense taken.

Just returned from 100 mile ride with Misano in temps from 78-90. Started with ALL vents closed and neck closed. Very nice! As ride progressed to 80, I unzipped shoulder vents and opened back vent. Nice flow.
    When temp reached 90, I opened up chest pockets/vents and was very surprised and pleased with flow. I NEVER opened the neck OR the large ARMPIT vents. Didn't need to. That will be when it hits 95 which it does a lot here.
    Humidity was 90% when I started and ended at 80% when temp was 90.

Notes: found the jacket fell more comfortably on GS seat when I unzipped the sides. Also fine zipped but better unzipped. Depends on bike you ride

Also the top pocket has a little waterproof pouch that seals like a dry bag. It's on a hook so you don't lose it. iPhone 5 does NOT fit in top pocket but nicely into lower front pocket.

Standing on pegs actually somehow flowed air to my, ER, butt crack, which was much welcome.

So, conclusion SO far: Super pleased with jacket as a Summer jacket.
    Next a rain test.
    I am thinking HARD about getting Misano Gray pants to complete the set.
  19. '05Train

Oddometer:
    Chest vents? What am I missing?
  20. Hikertrash

Oddometer: