Klim Latitude Suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Xeraux, Aug 16, 2011.

1. sonoran

sonoran politischer Feind Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well that's hard to say. It is really just a shell with no insulation and everyone has their comfort zone. I live in Phoenix so don't get into sub-freezing weather very often. For me I have a windproof fleece midlayer which should keep me warm for most of the time. I also have a warm & safe heated liner in case I'm riding into higher elevations.
  2. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind the venting on the legacy goes straight to the hanging z liner. So, there really is no venting. It's basically the same thing as a removable liner, you just can't remove it. This is a no contest decision. The legacy shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Consider used market for the matching armas jacket. It is an amazin g suit!
  3. gallowaystx

gallowaystx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would LOOVE that - unfortunately they are few and far between in the fleamarket. The inmate that sold me the pants offered me a truly outstanding price for the matching jacket, unfortunately i think I need a 52 and he had a 50. I was able to get in to the pants due to my remarkable muffinlike physique.

That said - even at the phenomenal price that he offered me - it was still materially more than the latitude.

My guess is i will buy a latitude and ride it until an armas jacket shows up used in my size or even perhaps an everest. At that point, if it is fiscally responsible to do so, I'll try and flip the latitude for it.

Jim, 2 follow up questions -
    1) Outside of the FM here and fleabay, where else is a good place to look for used high quality gear?
    2) I tried on the latitude at revzilla in philly and I think I'm between sizes. The medium fits snug but the large feels too roomy. Advice?
  4. Rainier_runner

Rainier_runner Heh..?

Oddometer:
    So I just read through this entire thread, and am now thinking the Latitude is the suit for me. I was previously thinking the Traverse was gonna get the job done, but it would appear this is worth the extra cost for all the extra bells and whistles? Can those of you who have had both please give me your input on the cost to benefit between the 2? Or more importantly I guess, which of the 2 you'd pick if you had it to do over with your knowledge of both?

Is everbody out there using this gear still as happy as when you initially purchased it? Staying dry? Comfortable to ride in? Would you buy it again?

And lastly, how bout some pictures? I wanna see this gear in use!

Thanks in advance for the replies. :beer
  5. sonoran

Oddometer:
    Just spent the past 2 days riding in my new Latitude jacket and I have to say I'm really pleased with it. It kept we warm with just a fleece and t-shit in 30*F temps @ 75mph. As temps rose into the high 60's I just shed the fleece and opened the vents, it flows quite a lot of air. I was originally concerned the the lack of chest vents would be a problem but it really isn't. Sitting upright or standing on an adventure bike allows plenty of air in thru the sleeve vents and out thru the back vent. I really like not having velcro'd flaps over the vent zippers.. much easier to open/close or adjust on the fly.

I even had the chance to crash test it with a high side get off into a sand wash. :lol3 No damage to me or the jacket.

Good stuff. :thumb
  6. Rainier_runner

Rainier_runner Heh..?

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. You have any pics of the gear in use? Why is no one posting pics!?! LOL.
  7. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:
    Couldn't agree more. Well said.
  8. sonoran

Oddometer:
    It's hard to take pics of myself when riding. :evil
  9. Casejeep

Casejeep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode to work for the first time with my new Latitude jacket. I have some reservations....

When the jacket is zipped up, my chin strap catches on the jacket, enough where it's hard to look freely.

When sitting, the jacket front flattens out, then it pushes the zipper into my neck. I'm guessing because the double stormproof zipper? But it is uncomfortable.

Did anyone else have any of these problems? Or is this just me?
  10. sonoran

Oddometer:
    First off, it's stiff and will take some time to break in.

Unzip the 2 lower gussets on the sides, this will allow you to sit and not push the jacket up under your chin.
  11. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    wash it too
  12. Casejeep

Casejeep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's all I needed to hear.
    So take all the pads out and wash it?
  13. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    I tried mine on yesterday... impressive. Took a ride with my older Kili and then came home and changed and did more riding with the Latitude. Huge difference and did not note any zipper riding up into my chin but could see where that might happen. The fit in the chest was so much better than the Kili which really does ride up. Wind leaks were minimal when compared to other jackets I have used.

It's snowing again so good thing I got out yesterday. Looks like I won't ride for a while but at least I know I have a really good jacket when it melts a bit.

The pants... saw some at the dealer and they are too heavy for my liking. I will stay with my FirstGear TPG Escape pants as they are really nice and not so heavy. More pockets on the TPG as well.
  14. soph9

Oddometer:
    yep remove the armour...wash it...there are directions on the tab in the jacket...with our Traverse...we use a touch of liquid detergent....with an extra rinse cycle and off in the dryer it goes...we use the dryer after really rainy rides...even thought the suit will dry out...when we have use of our dryer or any dryer we will help it along...KLIM even has told us to dry the suits when we can...helps preserve the waterproofing....that is what we were told anyway:wink:
  15. ghostryder

ghostryder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally had time to take a real ride with the coat. Put just about 1000 miles on it in all kinds of weather. The trip started with temps in the high 30's low 40's. I was comfortable with a under armor shirt, "T" shirt and sweat shirt on. It was a little damp as well, with the vents closed I was fine.
    The day got warmer, up into the 70's when it started to rain. I closed the vents that I had opened and packed the cellphone into the inside pocket and rode through the rain. It started as that steady annoying drizzle and progressed to straight downpour. Coat kept me perfectly dry. I felt a little damp, like you do when you have a rain coat on but that was it. My phone was a little damp when I stopped to make a call so I would strongly suggest a waterproof bag....ziplock or something else for your phone.
    When I arrived In Fla it was warm but cloudy, say high 70's and I opened the vents again, lost the Sweatshirt and was perfectly comfortable. So far so good. While riding around in Fla it was sunny and 80. I think this is about it for the comfort level in the warm weather. When I was stopped it was getting a bit warm, but that is to be expected. When I was moving I was surprised at how well the jacket moved air. It seemed as if the vents were in just the right spots. While moving it was very comfortable.
    Coming home it started out foggy in the 60's. Closed vents and standard under coat clothing, "T" shirt and sweatshirt and I was fine. The day got cooler and by the time I was home in the low 40's again I was wearing a wind stopping fleece under the coat and was more than warm enough.
    All in all I was impressed at how comfortable the jacket was. With minor adjusting with the straps I was able to adjust the coat to a perfect fit. The coat just seems to fit, all the armor seems to be in the right place and stays there, the coat itself never felt heavy or bulky. Oh and as for the high neck it worked great, not only did it keep the wind off my neck it helped keep the Ipod wires where they should be. The collar itself was nice and soft and I never felt like it was "rubbing" my neck, I also have to add that there is a small cord on the back to tighten it up just a bit in the rain to keep the water out (not a drop got in).
    All and all I think it is a great coat and worth the price. I think I will have this coat for a long time and am totally satisfied with the purchase.
  16. Ultravoyageant

Ultravoyageant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The congested burbs 62 furlongs west of Brick City
    Thanks for the info. I have a V5 Killi and am thinking about getting this jacket. Does the Latitude stop the wind better than the Kili does? I would suspect it does, as gore-tex is "windproof", but riding a motorcycle will seriously test that. Just curious. I would love to be able to ditch the wind-stopper fleece layer I put on between my killi and my gerbings liner.
  17. dallastx

dallastx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here a question from Holland: how is the sizing/fitting of this combo? I'm 1.93m, around 95kg's, normal waist size 34, inseam 36(tall-long), jackets mostly L-XL, sleeve 35/36. So what can be recommended, because if I want the Latitude combo, I probably have to order it online, because availability here in Holland is limited(only two stores with hardly no stock and an importer who has to order from the US too); so to get the right size, I gotta know what'll be the best size for me.
    Thanx&greetz, Hans.
  18. vink

vink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hans
    I was just on the Revzilla website and they have a video of the Klim Traverse, and I believe they may have sizing info or maybe email them for sizing info. I just purchased the Traverse pants from Touratech, there are some happy and dry riders with good things to say about the Klim.
    Good luck.
    Vinnie
  19. vink

vink Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. soph9

Oddometer:
    The Traverse pants are great but maybe considered more dirt bike pants because of the material. We own the Traverse, love the fit even though we are grrls, and wear it all the time. We might change to the Latitude because there are more pockets and more durable material being used in the making of the Latitude and Badlands. We shall see.