Klim Traverse Suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by osteo, May 18, 2010.

1. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'2" and 190lbs, 34wx32l jeans not overly tight and I can wear jeans under my 34 Traverse. A little tight but would work for a commute.

I have had my Traverse for a while now. I bought it thinking it would see a lot of commute action. I found the jacket too close fiting to layer under it for early morning winter commuting. I found a $150 A-star jacket that is so much better suite for commuting. For pants I found an old pair of REI Gortex rain pants I bought years ago. They block the wind and pack to nothing for warm rides home.

I only use my Traverse for "adventure" riding on my KTM950. For that with the Gerbins liner it is GREAT. No complaints.

I also ride dirt on a 450exc and have never found the Traverse good for that. Just too warm even on the coldest days, but I do not ride dirt (mud) in the rain where the Traverse may be good on the trails...
  2. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    got my Traverse jacket. I had ordered a back protector and the vendor was waiting for that to come in. It still hasn't(D30) so I opted for a CE pad because I couldn't wait any longer. Just before I got the jacket, Chitown had a little "off" that convinced me I needed a pressure suit. The jacket fits so much better wearing a pressure suit than wearing armor in the skimpy pockets provided. I actually have not worn it without the pressure suit underneath, but tomorrow I will try it with street armor. The jacket is so damn light and thin, a welcome relief from the Darien I have. It still fits me like a dress, but I gotta admit this is the best fitting "mens" suit I've ever worn without alterations.

If you're thinking about streeting this suit, I highly recommend a pressure suit. It will take the guess work out of the lack of abrasion resistance. I am pretty damn sure I'm going to rip the armor out and always wear the pressure suit.

I'm confused why Klim would put armor pockets in a jacket that they are not marketing towards dual sport riders. If anyone has seen the badlands jacket in person, or the other one, did you happen to notice the armor pockets and how big they were?

It's no frills, which is good, who needs a million pockets with a bunch of places for water to leak in? I think it's pretty close to do all gear with the addition of a pressure suit. Good job Klim!
  3. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    did you get the pants? because the pants are awesome and so comfortable. the Latitude suit coming out will be the "road" suit....with CE armour. I like our D3o back protector better than the CE. Less bulk and fits us better!
  4. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    Hardwaregrrl... if I read your post right you have d3o elbow and shoulder armor with the ce backpad? If you decide you don't want the armor i'll take it. I am traveling at the moment but could probably pick it up. I hate traveling with my pressure suit already, but I don't have the klim armor. Pm me...
  5. Behindbars

Behindbars Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    So the traverse jacket does not come with armor? I'm confused.
  6. soph9

Oddometer:
    the whole suit does not come with armour...you can buy either d3o or CE and mix and match if you wanted.
  7. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    I do have the pants! In fact, I taught an experienced rider course last Saturday and left them on. I was comfy walking around all day in my motorcross boots and the Traverse pants. They fit me very well, but I shouldn't do that too much as I chewed up the cuff on the asphalt walking around. :asshat

I didn't end up with any D30 except for hip pads. Had a new set of aerostich tf3 that I cannibalized to fit. But, boy oh boy, those pockets are skinny.:eek1
    Hey man, gotta check your RR. Hope your trip is going well!

I just really feel insecure with out the pressure suit underneath. Has anybody crashed in any way shape or form in this suit yet? i need to take some pics for the short people. Soon as I get someone to shoot me...:D, I'll post em' up.
  8. Behindbars

Behindbars Let's Ride

Oddometer:

Thanks! And the armor is bought through Klim?
  9. soph9

Oddometer:
    I bought my armour through KLIM
  10. K7MDL

K7MDL 2015 Tiger 800XCx

Oddometer:
    I don't consider the armor pockets any skinnier than than most adventure jackets. There are some that use much larger pads like the Motoport, but those pads would not fit any common mass produced jacket without mods. I took the armor out of my other adventure jackets and put them in the Traverse no problem.

I have done my share of trail crashing, now-a-days I only use the shoulder pads in my Traverse jacket. Everything else is strap on and core saver underneath. This is not because of the armor pockets design, it is the same as other jackets. Rather I have found strap-on works better on trails for protection. Non-strap on moves around too much and lets that rock find the space between your knee pad and boot top, or maybe roll the elbow pad on sideways (like tip-over on a slick root) spill. My shins proved that. But for normal dual sport forest road/pavement stuff I am happy to wear any of my armored pants and jackets, including the armored up Traverse. So for trail crashes in brush and rocks and mud, and DS rides, the suit is great. Very tough. The next armor change for me wil be the core saver, something with more side rib protection, as my last big trail crash landed on my shoulder/arm and my elbow crunched my ribs. The core saver I have protects the front and rear and collar, not the side ribs. So looking at Tekvest or Acerbis Cosmo now to see if I can fare better next time.

Lots of riding in the mud and rainy forest conditions, I stay quite dry, and unzipping the pit vents and collar a bit keeps me comfortable on the trails. Going to Moab in a month so I will get to test it out in 85F desert conditions, and also in 2 weeks eastern WA for the Desert 100 events. Probably be cooler weather there though.

- Mike
  11. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    Hmmm.....I'm curious what other jacket you have compared it with. If you look at a rally pro or anything from aerostich, the Klim pockets are half the width.
  12. dvwalker

dvwalker Working to ride

Oddometer:
    +1 on the pressure suit plus traverse jacket. Never leave home without my suit.

bit off thread topic but this inmate crash thread shows the safety advantage of wearing a pressure suite. Pads would probably have shifted during the crash and caused more tissue damage.

13. keiji

keiji Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most suits use armor that conforms with CE specs. CE specs dictate that the armor must cover at least a certain area/shape, so armor pieces tend to be very close to that shape and size. I don't believe there is anything that says the armor can't be larger than that, but anyone who would want a special shape would need to pay for additional tooling.

BMW probably did it just to carve out their market. You can buy BMW NP armor, but unless you make new pockets yourself, you're not fitting it in anything other than a BMW suit.

Aerostich pads don't meet CE spec due to the lack of impact protection outside of the hard shell. Actually, Aerostich pads are pretty mediocre in the numbers department, so I would reconsider putting those pads in your Traverse.

http://www.aerostich.com/roadcrafter-protection
    http://www3.ntsb.gov/events/symp_mo...Equipment Panel/Andy Goldfine - Aerostich.pdf

Compare those to Joe Rocket CE armor numbers
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11763112&postcount=21
  14. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would take the Aerostitch armor over the Traverse (YF or d3o) any time. The numbers mean little.

BP

(edit: here we go....)
  15. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Which Aerostitch pads are you talking about Brian? I've got the upgraded pads in my 1pc RoadCrafter suit and think they're shit. Got a Dainese back protector what I wear with it, but have been looking for better knee/elbow pads. Any suggestions? PM me if this is getting too far off-topic.
  16. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    Yeah. That's chitown and his crash convinced me I was a dumb ass without one. Rode a tad in the rain today. No problems. Can you guys tell me which pockets are most certainly H2O proof. Pants too?
  17. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    And that matters because??????

BP
  18. soph9

Oddometer:
    I think I would only trust the inside pocket to stay dry. I tried the "cargo" pocket on the pant leg and it was moist after an hours ride in pissing down rain. I know for a fact too the pocket on the outside of the jacket gets moist too. not sure why.
  19. Some Dude

Some Dude what attitude problem???

Oddometer:
    chances are your body's humidity is making the pockets damp, the only certain way to have a dry pocket is to put whatever needs to stay dry in a zip-lock.
  20. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    If it is a humidity issue - here is a thought - I tend to save those little packets of 'salt' that comes in the box with electronic stuff, you know the ones that say "DO NOT EAT". I put them all over the place, tool box, camera bag, etc... anywhere that a little too much humidity is bad. They don't cost anything, don't take up much space and saves adding to our increasing issue of waste.

D