1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Klim Traverse Suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by osteo, May 18, 2010.

1. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl ignore list Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh! Awesome idea, never even thought to put them in my gear!
  2. STRANA

STRANA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I know it's not really the time of year when it could be tested very well but how would the Jacket hold up in the summer heat?
  3. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    I've been into the 90's with it already, both in are-you-freaking-kidding-me humidity of Florida and the keys, and random drier but still almost sticky hot spring days crossing the south and the eastern plains.

Moving, its about as tolerable as any other solid waterproof shell with vents, maybe a little better. Stopped, its a plastic oven bag like every other waterproof shell with vents. Might be ok in the desert, but me I'll stick with just a MX jersey over my pressure suit.
  4. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    36* and snow in the mountains around Death Valley this weekend.

That's ice on my jacket!

[​IMG]
  5. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    that is awesome...I have to say my partner is cracking me up with this suit...she came home last night and said "hey, let's go out for a bite to eat." i said sure and off we went.....Cheryl still in her Alipinestars Scout boots and Traverse pants with her Gerbing liner as a jacket. She finds this suit so comfortable that she hardly ever changes out of it right after a ride home from work. I mean it is comfy but she loves it so much that we went to a pub with her wearing the pants! :clap
  6. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love my jacket. Super comfortable and so far 100% waterproof. I have been caught in a couple of nasty storms and stayed bone dry. My lap was full of nickle & dime size hail. Major wind gusts 40mph+, the only thing that got wet was the collar on my golf shirt.

I will say that my XL fits perfect with a fleece on and/or my gerbings. With just a tee its too big( i do have armor installed. I have lost some weight so I really wish I would have gotten the Large. I love it, its light weight and comfortable just a little baggy without layers. Live and learn I guess.
  7. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    Hey doc. Is that an air bag vest you've got on?? Nice shot:D
  8. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
  9. Symcrapico

Symcrapico Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just ordered the jacket and pants as well as a Acerbis Koerta to wear under it...Will post a review on it as soon as I try it on
  10. Hoologan

Hoologan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am interested to hear how this suit works in the heat of summer. I am primarily interested in a suit for road riding and adv riding and based on what I am reading in this thread, this thing seems very similar to the Aerostich Darien Light with vastly improved styling. Since I keep most of my street riding under 80 these days, I'm not worried about this suit not being 1,000,000 Denier or something. I would be using built in armor with it.

I was darn near set on the Rev'it Sand suit, but I just don't know about all of the removable liners. I hate dealing with them. I'd rather just wear a fleece or heated vest under a shell in the cold.

Thanks for the help.
  11. soph9

Oddometer:
    this is what my partner had to say about this suit this morning...

"2 degrees celsius and pouring rain - gross. Windproof, waterproof & heated gear - priceless! Thank you Klim & Gerbing!"
  12. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    I would not dream of wearing the Traverse in the summer heat unless I was expecting to run into rain. I consider it a high-end rain outfit. In the summer I adventure ride in a A-star mesh street jacket. At $600 I do not want to be trashing and constantly washing the Traverse when I don't need the rain protection.

Not to say the Traverse is not cool with just a T-shirt under it and the vents open. I just have other jackets that are better in 100* summer heat.
  13. soph9

Oddometer:
    last year we rode in our Revit Cayenne pro jackets in the worst heat ever for the east coast. I wear LdComfort under gear....and according to them...we followed their directions as to how to stay cool in heat like that....we wet our under wear down and used some ice at times...only opened the arm vents a bit and we stayed hydrated and cool for over 3 hours at a time. To be honest if you think about how over heating works...it works with your body temperature rising and you sweat....the more skin that is exposed to wind or sun the more you lose hydration. that is why chefs where long sleeves in a kitchen...not only to protect them from burning themselves but to protect them from the heat.

If you are touring or ADV riding you can still stay relatively cool even in this Gore tex suit if you know the techniques. It is not always good to have so much mesh...just my opinion.
  14. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    We most certainly have to watch out here in Georgia for hyperthermia!!!! I used to do these rides in the summer called "river ride". The whole goal was to find as many rivers and creeks on our ride that we could jump into, full geared up! We talk about this quite a bit in MSF/Riders Edge class to the new riders. Why do we sweat? Cools our body temp down, so if wearing nothing over your skin the sweat will be blown off your skin, and then you'll sweat more and soon become dehydrated. Anyone that races or rides constantly in the desert will keep all vents closed and their body temp will remain somewhat constant. I've tried all sorts of mesh jackets, but bottom line in the hot humid south: hydrate, wear an evap vest, wicking underwear, camelbak. Have yet to find something else that works so well.
  15. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Got to try on the Klim Latitude suit this weekend.

There's definitely one of these in my immediate future and my Traverse Suit will be going up for sale, soon.
  16. soph9

Oddometer:
    I hear there is an embargo on the release of the Latitude and Badlands suits until at least mid August...due out for the public this fall...is that what you heard? did you get a chance to see the Badlands? I really like the new 2 suits as well...and I am curious how the Latitude will fit women...I know they were planning on having hip gators on the jacket...that would help with we females who have hips versus you guys who don't:lol3
  17. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    I don't know about an "embargo", but the release date is late Summer/early Fall. They're still making some adjustments to the final design.

I saw the Badlands, but didn't try it on. I think that one's going to be a tougher sell than the Latitude. The Badlands is almost as expensive as the Adventure Rally. It basically is the Adventure Rally without the internal harness system.
  18. Happycamper

Happycamper Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer:
    But with sleeve vents - a plus for hot weather.
  19. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    I was talking to my guy earlier today and he was saying pre-orders will be towards the end of the summer/fall with delivery in the spring of next year... but that is here north of the border so who really knows :norton

D
  20. soph9

Oddometer:
    pretty reliable source and available end of Oct - Nov....:wink: