Klim Traverse Suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by osteo, May 18, 2010.

1. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure which jacket you're talking about, but the Latitude has sleeve vents in the upper arms. One of the things they're supposed to be changing is Klim is supposed to be making the vents larger.
  2. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    I also heard that the Latitude in it's prototype has hand hip pockets that I think they are deleting from the release version. I like the idea of having pockets like jeans on the pants instead of the angled cargo pockets. Just my opinion.
  3. Happycamper

Happycamper Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer:
    Badlands versus Adventure Rally. Sleeve vents are a good thing :D
  4. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    Picture form this weekend. First ride with temps in the 80*s. Did great with all the vents open. Never got too hot. Was not goring to wear my rain outfit on a sunny day, then I went down in a huge mud hole and was very glad it was waterproof. Then at the next stream crossing I went in the creek and washed all the mud off. Something I could not have done with my Dakar pants without being wet for the rest of the day.

[​IMG]
  5. K7MDL

K7MDL 2015 Tiger 800XCx

Oddometer:
    I have a detailed report and some updates early in this thread. I have a new update on fit now with the new Acerbis Cosmo protector.

The Traverse jacket is rather trim in the shoulder and sleeves. This is a good thing for using the built in pockets for armor. It is not adjustable so will not be the perfect answer for all builds. The in-jacket elbow and shoulder armor worked well enough for me for most riding, but I usually use strap-on elbow pads for the best protection against the pad rolling out of position. I also usually wore a 661 Core Saver chest/back protector under the jacket. This gave me decent full protection up top. But I found the weakness of that chest armor (the hard way) was no good side rib protection, so I got the Cosmo a month ago to bring it up a notch or 2.

I got the new Acerbis Cosmo jacket version. It is a 2 piece affair for the greatest flexibility. The jacket portion is a half shirt with shoulder armor and elbow/forearm armor which can be zipped off. The chest/back armor portion fits over the jacket portion. You can wear one, the other, or both together. The armor is rather substantial. The Acerbis Koerta and other pressure suit would have similar fit. For FYI, the size L/XL Cosmo might be a tad large for me, the shoulder pads seem to sit low, and the collar bone plastic armor tends to sit an incho or more above my shoulders, rainsing a jacket or shirt up. The height of the back protector lifts teh straps and chest up off my shoulders. This lifts a shirt and jacket higher as well.

Before the Cosmo, the jacket fit was very comfortable with the in-jacket shoulder and my particular strap-on or in jacket elbow armor. The bulkiness of the Cosmo shoulder/elbow armor makes the jacket shoulder and elbows too tight now - real squeeze. With this setup I would need to go up one jacket size most likely. I am 6' 1" 190 and 33" Waist (34 inseam), athletic build, 34/35 arms for reference. I wear the size large Traverse jacket, same for my Firstgear Rainier jacket. A tall size jacket would be better for me to get more arm length, but the regular large is good enough. So I wear only the chest/back portion of the Cosmo with my jacket.

Great suit - do account for bulky shoulder/elbow armor if you wear a full "pressure suit". With the Cosmo, it is easy to choose what combo I want so it is still all good. The down side is with my combo is that I cannot take the jacket off while riding single track or I lose my shoulder protection.

- Mike
  6. LoFlow

LoFlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I installed CE armor in my Traverse pants for a trip I had just taken. I had to remove the knee pads after a couple of days. There seemed to be to much pressure on my knee caps after a few hours causing a bit of discomfort.

I've never had this problem with M/X knee guards with these pants. So I guess it's back to the strap on armor even on longer road trips. I did like the less hassle of the built in pads though. Anyone else have this issue? Probably just my older knees.
  7. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:

You should try the D3o armor. It is much lower profile/bulk.
  8. LoFlow

LoFlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I actually have a set on back order, just waiting for them to arrive. Glad to hear they're not as bulky. That's what I was hoping.
  9. STRANA

STRANA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes the d3o is much thinner and in the warmer so pliable that you wonder if it's even their.
  10. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    The d3o made a huge difference in the way the jacket fits me. I am big in the shoulders and it fits 10x better with the d3o.

The pants fit fine with the CE and the CE is a lot more padding when working on you knees changing a trie. But -- once I put the d3o in the pants I never bother to change back to the CE.
  11. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    Just got the d3o armor for my jacket. I agree that it seems to fit a bit better now, but for me it feel really damn good to begin with. I swear the modeled the large on some poor dumb bastard with my body shape out in Idaho it fits that good.
  12. soph9

Oddometer:
    had the Traverse suit on all day in 84 degree weather...about 27 C and it did well in the heat. As always when still it was a little warm but with vents open on the road it did great. We have 2 pants for sale...size 38 regular and 32 long. We both lost weight and got new pairs in our new sizing...if interested PM...i will be posting int he flea market soon!:wink:
  13. suecanada

suecanada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wore the Traverse pants too 2 weeks ago when there was that heat wave in W.Va and Va. for 3 days...96 degrees F. and suppose to feel like 107! Those huge vents worked. I wore then in case it rained and it never did for those 11 days I was down there. Did ride the Blue Ridge and Skyline just to keep somewhat cool when I could but I had to come down sometime!! So I would not hesitate to use them all summer here in Ontario!
  14. PerfectZebra

PerfectZebra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to know... I just picked up a Traverse suit pretty much specifically for a ride I'll be taking starting tomorrow morning - and it looks like we'll be hitting a good amount of hot muggy weather and plenty of rain. Looks like I'll really be able to put it to the test.
  15. Oddfellow

Oddfellow Beasty Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    PM sent.
  16. soph9

Oddometer:
    What a response to my selling our 2 traverse pants....so this is my deal and issue...my post was to send out feelers but maybe a bit premature:huh...sorry about that...I do not think I really have the time before we leave on the 29th for 45 days to sell these pants. I will post them for real in August...again sorry about this but I had no idea there would be so many people interested in the pants.

so, if any of you who were interested still need pants in August i will formally post them in the flea market
  17. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Traverse being livable in ungodly hot and humid weather, so long as you're using armor installed in the suit and not a pressure suit. The vents really do vent, especially with the main zipper down a bit. I've had it up over a heat index of 100* and so long as I was moving it wasn't terrible and almost comfortable given the weather.
  18. KC-10ENG

KC-10ENG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Question about armor and the Traverse. I have the D3O armor for the jacket but is it enough? I have a rev-it jacket with a T-Force armor upgrade and might put that in the Traverse especially the elbows. I really wish that the D3O armor completely filled the elbow pockets.

I also feel odd with no type of chest protection.

The pants have no armor but I will be wearing Bohn armor shorts and knee gaurds in my boots. (Sidi Charger)

I ususally wear a pressure suit so I just feel a little naked with out all of the armor.

Dennis
  19. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Nope. You need a Leatt brace, too.
  20. Wings

Wings RockiesToSandbox

Oddometer:
    So wear your pressure suit and you won't feel naked anymore. :scratch Sorry, but is there an unanswered question there? Seems like you've already answered yourself. No matter what any kind of protection any piece of gear offers, in the end it's a personal choice with what you feel comfortable. As motorcycle riders we make a conscious choice taking on inherent risks and each of us make personal decisions in gear choices etc on how to diminish those risks. In your case, it sounds like you feel more comfortable with the added protection of a pressure suit. Good onya for being a responsible rider and making your own choices!