Klim Traverse Suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by osteo, May 18, 2010.

1. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    How much does this jacket flop in the wind? Esp. the arms? I know it's designed for a pressure suit underneath, so it's a little bulky. I hate flapping in the wind though. If I bought one, it'd be to wear my Halvarssons Safety under. Probably about the same as a pressure suit.
  2. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    Mine has been unflappable, cuts through the wind nicely.
  3. Lucky Explorer

Lucky Explorer Traveled the world

Oddometer:
    My Traverse is really loose fitting, and I wanted it so, to fit an electric and a fleece shell. It never flaps, and I actually like the roomy feel. Also recently got an Inversion, and all fits and fills nicely in the Traverse.
  4. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    Same here my jacket fit too loose now cause I lost a lot of weight...got smaller pants way better but again because I am a grrl my hips get in the way of being able to wear a medium jacket. I have been using the draw strings to pull the bottom tighter and the arms never felt big to begin with. It's the chest area that is too big on me now bit even so still does not flap. We LOVE this suit so much we sometimes get home from work, and go out to dinner in our pants and boots!:lol3
  5. PerfectZebra

PerfectZebra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only hit rain once so far in it, but it kept me bone dry.
    Vents are GREAT. Got a huge amount of airflow in both jacket and pants. Lots of "Are you hot in all that?" to which I replied only when I'm not moving.

Unfortunately had about a 30 mph get off. Landed on right hip and elbow primarily... CE armor in the jacket, d3o in the pants. Jacket scuffed up a bit on the forearm, pants you'd never know were down. This suit is the truth.
  6. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl ignore list Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry about your off, how did your body fare? Dirt or pavement? Can we see some pics of the suit?
  7. PerfectZebra

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I've got a huge bruise on my leg but that's about all. Happened on pavement. I wouldn't have even known my elbow hit if it wasn't for the scuffs on the sleeve. The CE armor did its job - didn't feel a thing. My leg however, was another story. Felt it as soon as I hit the ground, and have been limping around for a few days.
    I will try to post some pics when I get home, likely late tonight.
  8. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    I have the D30 hip armor in my pants. I wonder if any hip armor would have minimized the pain you're feeling now? If we can learn something from your crash, be sure to post it to faceplant. Really glad you're ok!
  9. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    So far this suit is doing great on our 45 day trek. Mainly pointing out how waterproof it is and we feel this is a HUGE selling factor. The suit breaths, vents, and if the outside gets "wet" t dries out real fast in the wind. We are more than satisfied with the Traverse, still comfy as ever but we do need to get it cleaned today with all the dust of some of the back rods we have been riding. Dust can clog the gore properties and jeopardize the water proofness. The suit can get warm in hot weather if not moving. But then again so did our Rev'it. All in all...............A+
  10. KC-10ENG

KC-10ENG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Pressure suit (elbows) does not fit very well under the Traverse so that is why I am seeking other options. D3O does offer an even thicker armour option but I need to contact them to see it it will fit in the Jacket.

Well I am back from my trip and the Traverse suitwas worth every penny! An overview 4 days of riding covering 865 miles of mostly dirt roads in Northern California from Vacaville to Eureka CA and back. The first day was some slab and dirt road from Vacaville to Stonyford Ca and the weather was really nice (warm and blue skies) and the jacket and pants performed flawlessly. Day 2 was NASTY! Woke up to rain showers and low fog! I wore a heated vest under the jacket and a roost protector up top with the D3O armour. I was the only rider out of 4 to stay warm and dry all day! One of the other riders had the Traverse pants but no jacket and was going to buy the jacket as soon as he could to complete his kit.

Day 2 was quite nice with some low clouds but no rain to start. Once we got close to the coast the rain and low fog returned again. Once again I was the only one to stay warm and dry.

Day 3 and 4 were were repeats of Day 2. What amazes me about the Traverse is the versatility to keep you dry when it is nasty or to keep you cool and ventilate heat when the temps rise!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. PerfectZebra

Oddometer:
    I think you're right, I'm not sure if another type of armor would have done anything differently. And I still feel it did its job, dispersed the impact over a broader area. Coming out with just a bruise, I consider myself lucky.

Here are a few pics. There is some weird swirling effect I couldn't seem to get rid of.

Anyway this is the sleeve. You can see next to the 3M there are some scuffs and also up near the Klim "K" logo.
    [​IMG]

And the pants: There are some small marks about an inch below the "Gore-Tex" logo I think, TBH it's pretty hard to tell when looking at the pants, let alone in a crappy picture.
    [​IMG]

The suit fared very well. After it happened I was more concerned about messing up my new suit than I was about myself. And nothing really to be learned from this experience aside from the usual... keep PLENTY of following distance and don't ride with people you don't trust because you never know what the idiot in front of you is going to do :D.
  12. TRTN

TRTN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone comment on the positioning of the hip armor in the Traverse pants?

Especially related to the padding positions on the sixsixone evo shorts (as found here.

Am wondering whether they are on the side of the hip (say the part that hits the deck if you fall over at the traffic lights) protecting the hipbone, or lower on the hip, like the large pads on the undershorts i linked to.
  13. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    I"ve had my traverse suit for quite awhile and have just returned from a month up North---and to Alaska.
    Lot's of rain---man this stuff is completely waterproof.

I wore my traverse pants---but elected to not wear the jacket on this ride-----since most of the ride would be cool to cold.
    I felt the Kilimanjaro would be good for this ride.

Anyway--------I'm still happy.

BigDog

[​IMG]
  14. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    I just happened to buy the pants a few weeks ago, fast forward a week and got caught in a rain storm on a 600 mile leg of a ride.... my legs were warm and dry but my upper rain protection failed me. Just bought the jacket last week, great stuff but the armor doesn't come with the gear.
  15. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a Klim Inversion Jacket.

Probably will get used more off the bike than it will as a layer under the new Latitude Suit I ordered today, but it's a really nice jacket.
  16. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    Wait....the Latitude is out??
  17. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Key word is "ordered". Delivery is some time this fall.
  18. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    Ahhh.....got it.:thumb
  19. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
  20. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:

My understanding of the "Out of Stock" indicator on the website is that they are currently only taking pre-orders,not shipping product. Do you understand it differently? My guess is that they will have made quite a few more of the Latitude and Badlands than they did of the initial run of the ADV suit, although we may still see a run on the most popular sizes.