KLR 650 rod knock - engine swap/new bike?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by charliefirpo, Jul 4, 2019.

1. charliefirpo

charliefirpo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks that's a lot of info to digest for a non mechanic but extremely helpful. I need to read about all this. You are not anywhere near Canada BC are you? ;)
    People are saying a standard engine swap is doable in half a day. Would you recommend me to get my bike to a mechanic and give them my new eBay engine and let them swap it? Or is that not worth the cost? How much would you expect to have to pay for this task?

And do you know how much Eagle Mike charges all in all for the new top when I send it in? I am not able to find the price for sending it in to them.
  2. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    If you're going to do a big bore kit tear the top end off the fresh engine on the bench. It's much easier to plop half the engine in the frame especially if you're working alone.

Calling Eagle Mike is the best way to go.
  3. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    do it your self. not that hard.
  4. tntmo

tntmo Oops, I did it again.

Oddometer:
    If you're considering paying a mechanic to do it, you could just pay my airfare and I will come help you do it and help drink your beer. It's not a difficult job....the engine swap or the beer drinking.
    ohgood and rob1313 like this.
  5. concours

concours WFO for 47 years

Oddometer:
    It means nothing for insurance. Frame VIN is all any gvt. agency cares about. YES, even Canada. Engine numbers are not inspected, or recorded. Even if a manufacturer CHOOSES to have them match, it is not required or enforced/recorded/inspected.
    ohgood likes this.
  6. talbertjm

talbertjm Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you love your KLR, then go buy an engine and swap it out, if you don't love your KLR and you have been lusting for something else, then go buy something different. If you buy a used engine from eBay, you don't know what you're getting. I don't care if he/she has a high rating. I bought so much shit from eBay from a high rating seller and the products were not useable. Had to return them. I just sold my 08 KLR with a few farkles on it for 2300 bucks, 15xxx miles on it.... If you love wrenching on stuff, then buy something different and then repair the KLR in time...
    charliefirpo likes this.
  7. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tell that to the guy at the DMV that just had his bike impounded when he tried to register it and the engine number came up stolen. My father watched it happen. I've had enough stuff go through the DMV with a fine tooth comb that I do worry about mixed numbers.
  8. concours

Oddometer:
    Worry on then.
    There is more to that story, that doesn’t pass muster.
    Salvage yards sell engines by the thousands every day, and they give old jalopies a new lease on life. NO PAPERWORK is required.
    ohgood likes this.
  9. tntmo

Oddometer:
    In California the engine number goes on the title. If I buy a bike here, swap the engine and sell it here....no problem. If I buy a bike with a title from somewhere else, it needs a VIN verification and part of that is checking the engine #. I don’t know what happens if it doesn’t match the paperwork but it is checked here.
  10. concours

Oddometer:
    “I don’t know...”

Unless the engine was reported STOLEN, not a goddamned thing happens if the number doesn’t match.
    It is NOT a requirement to match.
    You people are fear fueled, and disinterested in learning the facts.
    I guess it’s a sign of the times.
    ohgood likes this.
  11. tntmo

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I don’t know because I have never had it happen. Fear fueled, sign of the times...whatever you want to say. I just know California DMV can be a pain in the ass.

I just said it’s checked. Damn, maybe try decaf?
    concours likes this.
  12. bpw

bpw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your right, in CA nothing happens, as in DMV does nothing and won't register the bike, meaning you can't ride it.

Engine and frame numbers don't need to match (many bikes don't from the factory), but in CA it will be DMV hell and can't be registered if the engine # doesn't match the title, even if not reported stolen (that is an even worse DMV hell). CA records engine number on the title and it needs to be correct. It only gets inspected on bikes coming from out of state, so you could get away with it for pretty much ever as long as the bike stayed in CA.

I know this because when I brought my Ducati into CA from Nevada the DMV person was originally looking at the wrong engine number and I wasn't going to be able to register it.
    tntmo likes this.
  13. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    uhhhh, except that doesn't actually happen, at all, ever.

I've had several bikes inspected to go from"off road only" to "street legal/titled" status, and such with street bikes, and

no one cares about engine/transmission numbers. no one.
    concours likes this.
  14. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

when the dumb dumb with the clip board reads off the part number of the clutch lever, tire size, or headlight trim ring ...

and then enters THAT number into the computer, of course it doesn't work !
    concours likes this.
  15. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    That may fly in Alabama but come on up and try it in Maryland. It does indeed happen on a regular basis with one off builds. That would include attempts to license off road only bikes. Some states are strict.
    dtysdalx2 and tntmo like this.
  16. bpw

bpw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CA is a bit different then Alabama, if I only went on my CA experience I would insist that no ever converts a dirt bike to street legal since we can't do that here. The DMV very much cares about engine numbers on motorcycles here.
    tntmo likes this.
  17. rat

rat Dirty Hippie

Oddometer:
    Put a diesel engine in it.
    ohgood likes this.
  18. concours

Oddometer:
    “Builds”
    Hipster vernacular.

We were talking about a replacement engine, from a salvage vehicle.
    ohgood likes this.
  19. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hardly. I'm a factory trained certified technician with 35+ years experience,former Pro Stock crew chief,1/8 mile dragracing/landspeed record holder both as builder and rider along with a few other accomplishments. Been using that term to describe my work for decades. If someone else you hold disdain for uses it it doesn't mean I fit the description.
    charliefirpo and rat like this.
  20. concours

Oddometer:
    Impressive resume.
    I respect that.
    I do some cool shit too.

Now, back the topic at hand.
    The little old dual sport bike that’s very sick right now.
    If it got a used engine bolted in, as a cost effective way to REPAIR it, would, by no stretch of anyone’s imagination be considered a “BUILD”.
    It’s
    a
    REPAIR
    nothing
    more
    or
    less

A REPAIR.
    The law doesn’t interfere.
    charliefirpo, BluByU and ohgood like this.