KLR 650 rod knock - engine swap/new bike?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by charliefirpo, Jul 4, 2019.

1. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let's get something straight. My response was not to the OP it was to this post specifically. Hence it being quoted in my response. Context changes things doesn't it?

2. concours

concours WFO for 47 years

Oddometer:
    I got it it straight.

You’re right.

I fold my tent.
  3. bpw

bpw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CA DMV requires a vehicle verification for:

"Recording an engine change, motorcycle engine case change, or change from engine number to vehicle identification number (VIN)."

Its not a big deal, and worth doing to keep all the paperwork legit. No idea what Canada requires, but worth checking to avoid hassle if the bike is ever sold.
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    lol
  5. ohgood

Oddometer:

i thought we were talking about swapping a crappy klr engine for a less crappy klr engine ? how the hell does that constitute the word "build" ?

nice resume, but really, if you're dick waving over a klr engine swap.... gee

:-)
    concours likes this.
  6. rat

rat Dirty Hippie

Oddometer:
    I'll wave my dick over just about anything... given enough beer and interest.
    concours, ohgood and Bigger Al like this.
  7. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    What part of the above escapes your understanding?

8. ohgood

Oddometer:
    you quoted yourself but not the post you were responding to, i have no idea what you're on about, sorry. :-)
    concours likes this.
  9. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plan for a weekend, everything goes slower the first time (well, not everything :raabia:feelgood:viking)
    Having a friend help who's done similar work before is almost priceless.
    ohgood likes this.
  10. RyanE

RyanE Diamond on your timepiece

Oddometer:
    :dunnoFellow Canadian here. Nothing to worry about with respect to VIN and engine number correlation. Hell, some of us have crammed non factory motors into bikes that were equipped with something much smaller. No issues provided you stay in the same cc class when registering/insuring. And even if you don't, who's going to know about it? Nobody is going to disassemble my big bore motors to measure the bore lol.

If the engine number was reported as stolen then you might have something to worry about but let's be honest, nobody records here that and your local insurance broker/ICBC agent is not checking either. So unless the RCMP pull you over, take the time to find and verify engine numbers and run that against a stolen items database, you would probably be fine even with a stolen motor. Not that I am advocating such actions.

OP, I'm in BC. Upper Columbia area. If you are around here and need help, PM me. I have a well equipped workshop, tools and knowledge to pull this off in short order. I could also ask around to see if anyone I know has leads on a motor.

Good luck.
    concours likes this.