KLR 650 Starting troubles

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Hunter115, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Hunter115

Hunter115 n00b

Oddometer:
    So I've been looking though lots of starter issue threads these past few hours and I finally decided to ask you all for some ideas.

Issue: The engine will not start without full choke and multiple turn over attempts before ignition..

Leading up to: I went on a two day long trip consisting of mainly riding i think i ended up at 900 mi or something. After which two days later i rode for maybe 30 mins down some roads and the bike completely shut down.. could not get it to start at all. I took the carb apart maybe 4 different times spraying carb cleaner and removing all the jets. finally got it to run after a week of dicking around. not really sure what the final solution was, but it starts now with consistency.

Final Question?: what do you guys think is the issue here? could it be the starter from trying to start it so much without results? the battery seems fine i had it fully charged and the issue persisted. i also let it run for 20 mins without choke then i shut it off and tried to start it right after and it just turned over not starting at all. Even with the choke pulled full out it turns over 4 to 8 times before starting up?

Any help will be greatly appreciated
  2. motorhead748

motorhead748 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a little confused by your terminology. I think when you say "turn over" you are referring to when the bike "starts" and running?
    Either way my KLR will crank over but not start if I'm trying to start with it in gear and clutch pulled in, put it in neutral and it starts right up.
  3. Hunter115

Hunter115 n00b

Oddometer:
    It's definitely in neutral so that's not my problem, and sorry about the confusion I kind of used it to describe two different things. haha
    motorhead748 likes this.