KLR 650 Timbersled

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Danielj, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Danielj

Danielj n00b

Oddometer:
    Okay so I've been doing a bunch of research on Snowbikes specifically timbersleds. They look awesome and like so much fun, but I just slept 4,500 on a new klr 650 and can't afford buying a dirt bike and a timbersled. I know dirt bikes and better because there lighter and higher reving machines but does that make a klr 650 bad? Is it a good idea to turn a klr into a timbersled? Is it even possible or do I need to make custom parts? I know people are thinking about it and talking about it a bit here and there on the internet but no one has talked indepth about it or discussed any issues with it that I've seen. Any and all advice and knowledge is greatly appreciated!
  2. North ride

North ride Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would think it would be badly underpowered 450 to 500 cc competition bikes are barely enough power so people hot rod them for snow bike. Power in general is a issue for snow bike everytime you see a vid of a snow bike getting rad it's going down hill there's a reason for this. Probably better off with a used sled if on a tight budget.
    Bitingdog and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  3. Danielj

Danielj n00b

Oddometer:
    I've only seen a used sled once years ago, I'm not sure if people around me just don't have them or just aren't selling them.

Would a bigger bored klr work better like a klr 685 or a klr705?
  4. North ride

North ride Long timer

Oddometer:
    What do people do with the old sleds when they buy new ones ?
    Bitingdog likes this.
  5. Danielj

Danielj n00b

Oddometer:
    No idea don't know anyone that has one. Never seen one in person either.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  6. North ride

North ride Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have never seen a sled but want a snowbike ? If no Sleds are around your area might be a reason for it. Regardless of that I think the weight and low performance nature of the KLR would make a poor snow bike. I rode a KTM 500 snow bike and it was ok but way slower and harder to climb than with a modern sled. I could throttle it like a moped no way I could ever do that with the same bike on wheels. Snow bikes tend to get run so hard they need motor work every season think motocross racing maintenance not street bike or trail bike maintenance. Just my 2 cents.
  7. Danielj

Danielj n00b

Oddometer:
    My bad i thought you meant timbersleb when you said sled. There are tons of snowmobiles everywhere just thought a timber sled sounded more up my alley.

But I really appreciate the info! Thanks
  8. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes
    No
    Probably custom spacers and strut, and definitely something custom for the front since it has non-inverted forks.
    Something with the thermostat because running full power at 10 degrees F is not something motorcycles like.

Another cool idea that gets thrown around on the snowbike board every so often is putting a kit on a liter bike. Iirc, the actual snowbike inventor posted up that he tried it and couldn't make it work. I don't know if he ever got specific about why, but that's an idea that at least on paper has an advantage over a thumper dirt bike (big power). A KLR does not have any advantages on paper.
  9. Danielj

Danielj n00b

Oddometer:
    Okay thanks for the input. I have a 2002 cbr 600 that I could try and hook up but no idea how that would turn out. I've seen some people do it on YouTube so I know its possible but no idea of the logistics of actual doing it.
  10. North ride

North ride Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw the youtube vid of the sport bike looks like custom everything.
  11. Danielj

Danielj n00b

Oddometer:
    Is there any other adventure bikes that would be better or are they all kind of off the table?
  12. North ride

North ride Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know everything about snow bikes but travel to mountain country where they are popular and know people that have them and have tried a few. I think the racing dirt bike is popular for a reason and is the only bolt on solution that I know of. I'd hate to have a heavy adventure bike buried in deep powder or stuck in a tree well. If you want something custom you own injunenty and your riding conditions will be your guide.
  13. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just reminiscing . . . didn't a guy cobble a KLR-powered BOAT? Went (or intended to go) from Alaska to Russia, across the Bering Strait (among other voyages)?

Sincere question, or . . . am I only hallucinating (again)?
  14. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    A 705 is still going to be underpowered. The other problem is weight. The other problem is suspension.

A friend, the owner of Cyclops, custimized a kit to go on his 950SE.

It's going to take a lot of fabrication work.
  15. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    I would tend to think the same the whole thing will have to be custom to carry the weight so the sleds will have to be bigger

16. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    it would depend on what kind of snow you go in too. if you are on hard pack or something with fluff on a base it would work. on deep powder... forget it, it would be a nightmare. here in AK there are snow machine highways in the winter when the rivers freeze over, it would work for that but off in the untracked snow... nope. the old snow machines back when I was a kid were like that too, you had to be careful where you went because its a bitch when you sink one
    Bitingdog likes this.
  17. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer: